1922 HMS Agincourt Refit

Sort of a superheavy cruiser, maybe a command cruiser.

Command would be something of a difficult function, as you wouldn't be able to fit a particularly large superstructure on her unless you also fitted her with a pagoda mast.

She also likely wouldn't be able to have a catapult amidships, and have to be fitted with a tail crane and floatplane.

I am also in support of classifying her as a "bruiser cruiser" ;)

Last edited:
Command would be something of a difficult function, as you wouldn't be able to fit a particularly large superstructure on her unless you also fitted her with a pagoda mast.

She also likely wouldn't be able to have a catapult amidships, and have to be fitted with a tail crane and floatplane.
How about take out the middle two turrets and use that space for a hanger and catapult? Whatever remaining weight left over could be invested in a pagoda mast...

... wait a minute, what are the chances of a hybrid carrier conversion? take out the middle and rear turrets (so 5 out of the 7) and get a decent length deck from that space, the forward 2 turrets converted to the triple 9.2in guns mentioned earlier...

... wait a minute, what are the chances of a hybrid carrier conversion? take out the middle and rear turrets (so 5 out of the 7) and get a decent length deck from that space, the forward 2 turrets converted to the triple 9.2in guns mentioned earlier...

There might be serious ballasting issues, pulling off that much weight. The Ise conversions had a fair amount of concrete dumped on them to counterbalance the loss of the turrets.

I am also in support of classifying her as a "bruiser cruiser" ;)

By command, my thought was more "theater flagship." You know, for a smaller area where she'll be over cruisers and destroyers. You are correct though, she would need more superstructure for the staff.

How about take out the middle two turrets and use that space for a hanger and catapult? Whatever remaining weight left over could be invested in a pagoda mast...

Removing the midships turrets would be a good investment IMO, the scouting capability would make her far more effective at hunting down raiders, and would free up more internal space for machinery, which would make her a better cruiser. For a more suitably British appearance, a pagoda might not be necessary; a taller block o' flats might do the trick ;).

As for a carrier conversion, in my TL, I did something very similar with the Ise and Fuso classes. The weight issue is partly settled by more lengthening aft and angled flight decks, as well as keeping parts of the barbettes to protect aviation fuel and AA ammunition.

They're still very uncomfortable ships, even by IJN standards, and the resonance vibrations from the longer shafts make them pretty awful to be on when they're at speed.

Best idea for Agincourt i have ever seen was
The best use would be as a depot ship for Singapore,
- Remove all but the two front turrets so she is no longer a threat and ignored by treaties (she is now a 12" PD so nobody will care if she is kept) also remove the belt. (this is done instead of paying for some of the 15" coastal defence guns of OTL)
- Fit depot ships stuff to her to on the back 2/3 and set her up to service the large floating dock you send to singapoor... (instead of OTL dry dock)

Come WWII she can simply tow away the floating dock before Singapore falls (or even earlier to move it to Suez at the start of the Mediterranean war) nobody will be any wiser about her contribution compared to OTL.

Last edited:

SwampTiger

Banned
If the RN wants to keep her, turn her into a real aircraft carrier instead of keeping Argus. Or sell her before the Washington Naval Treaty.