1920s US Politics in a Hughes Wins TL

Most people on here agree that Hughes would’ve lost in 1920 to whichever Democrat ran. I’m not convinced of this point, as I think that he would probably get the US in the LoN with the reservations and taken away a central Dem issue. Nonetheless, what do you think American politics looks like in the 1920s? I think America is probably less isolationist and more pro free trade, regardless of whether Hughes or i. e. Cox is President. I also wonder what happens in the elections of 1924 and 1928. Finally, do you think the Great Depression happens earlier (favoring the GOP) or basically on schedule or later, and what do you think the impact of the depression would be here?

Would Hughes even consider a League of Nations? Perhaps a less totemic system for great power diplomacy is established, similar to G7 conferences or Metternich's congresses? You might end up with a more global United States because there is no concrete international group it is being asked to join, and likewise no group for isolationists to focus their ire on.

Would Hughes even consider a League of Nations? Perhaps a less totemic system for great power diplomacy is established, similar to G7 conferences or Metternich's congresses? You might end up with a more global United States because there is no concrete international group it is being asked to join, and likewise no group for isolationists to focus their ire on.

Hughes supported the LoN IOTL, though I believe that was only *with* the reservations

Can Hughes do anything about the cost of living? Iirc, since 1917 food prices had beenwere seriously outstripping wages, and this had far more impact on the election result.than the League of Nations issue .

Last edited:
Regarding segregation, Wilson did in fact re-segregate the workforce while President.

Likely outcome for the 1920s is Democrats retain power as the GOP did because economy is likely to perform well regardless of who is in WH

Neither party had much desire for major regulation in the 20s (there were factions in both parties that supported it but) so we likely see a crash still happen

Quite possible to see President Hoover in 32

Regarding segregation, Wilson did in fact re-segregate the workforce while President.

Likely outcome for the 1920s is Democrats retain power as the GOP did because economy is likely to perform well regardless of who is in WH

Neither party had much desire for major regulation in the 20s (there were factions in both parties that supported it but) so we likely see a crash still happen

Quite possible to see President Hoover in 32

The more interesting question is what happens if the crash occurs in 1927-28 instead of 29, as is likely to happen, since that could change the outcome of the 28 election. A Republican takeover in 28 might be better suited than one in 32 to take on the Depression