1915 propaganda map

• Thread starter Deleted member 2186
  • Start date

Deleted member 2186

Found this 1915 propaganda map online.

DHYEb3f.png

Deleted member 2186

It's fairly reminiscent from this one.

I wonder if there was some kind of inspiration taken from the first one?
Do not know but there is also this one which was put on a postcard which depicts a future Without Germany, Circa 1914.

bl7camlpqr4qskvj2zsbnd8ue89unxcc.jpg!content

- From the north, Denmark reaches deep down all the way to Magdebourg, along the way annexing Hambourg, Brème and Lunebourg (to add insult to injury, all cities on the map are represented in their French spelling).

- Denmark gets a new neighbor: Imperial Russia, her westward thrust halting only at the Elbe, henceforth marking the Danish-Russian border. Berlin, Dresden, Torgau and other ancient German cities now owe allegiance to the Tsar rather than the Kaiser.

- In 1913, Austria was still an empire in its own right. Rather than collapsing after the war, as it did in real life, it retains Bohemia (part of independent Czechoslovakia after 1918) and gains Bavaria, adding fabled cities such as Munich, Nuremberg and Schweinfurt to its holdings.

- The Austrian emperor also gains a new neighbor – France. The French move up the Rhine all the way to Cologne, and cross the river as far east as Würzburg, also annexing Freiburg, Stuttgart and Frankfurt.

- Even plucky little Belgium gets part of the spoils: a curious, northeastern tail of territory, just east of the Dutch Limburg salient and mirroring its southward jut. Nothing for the Dutch, though. The Franco-Anglo-Russian conspiracy accurately foresaw that the Netherlands would sit this conflict out.

Read more: http://alternate-timelines.proboards.com/thread/369/map-germany-carved-neighbors#ixzz4kpKKmAJf

Thande

Donor
Nice finds.

Interesting how the second German one says Grossbritannien on Britain but England on the carved out chunk of Germany.

The first German one I have seen similar examples of before and it's funny how they just sort of seem to have Austro-Hungarian control of Russia sweeping away vaguely to the horizon.

Serbia up to Krakow and "Lemberg"? Well, that's certainly a novel way of resolving the Polish-Ukrainian disputes.

I do like how the first map also portrays Germany and Austria-Hungary as deeply megalomaniac. "Our enemies are ravenous dogs seeking to eradicate us...but if we win, we're probably going to do something totally ridiculous too."

What's funny is that Germany in a lot of those maps actually got to about where the Nazis got to OTL. Austria, however... Though a story set in Austrian occupied Moscow would be entertaining.

What's funny is that Germany in a lot of those maps actually got to about where the Nazis got to OTL.
Not that's surprising, tough, as a significant part of Hitler's inspiration for lebensraum comes from WW1 nationalists plans for the East.

Nice.
Everyone, please keep in mind, that some of those maps are "look what enemy plans to do to us!" type of propaganda, not "here's what we're gonna take".

Well, they tend to borrow on several actually existing nationalist fantasies, tough : for example, while ludicrous and never having made it up to any plan, AF's ambitions to split up Germany and to occupy the West Bank of the Rhine wasn't an invention of German propaganda. To imply or affirm it was an actual threat was.

Interesting how the French wanted to throw Poland under the bus. Was all sympathy for the Polish independence movement (which was pretty strong in France during the 19th century) gone by 1916?

Keeping in mind that these maps were as accurate of which positions various diplomacies had as a kettle pot made of chocolate is useful (unless thinking the common Frenchman really gave a damn about Wrutemberg independence), it was common enough to think that Russia would be an overall better protector of Poland national interests than Germany (see National Comitee of Warsaw) or at least it was the main idea behind the large recruitment of polish volunteers from France in the Foreign Legion, with a certain popular support.

So it wasn't as gone than re-interpreted under th geopolitical light, until the fall of Tsarist Russia which provoked more or less quickly the creation of a Polish Army in France.

These are all pretty interesting. I feel kinda sad for Hungary in that French proposal one. Random straight line on the map, don't actually try to make a border, no.

Interesting how the French wanted to throw Poland under the bus. Was all sympathy for the Polish independence movement (which was pretty strong in France during the 19th century) gone by 1916?

Well, Russia was still in the war at the time, and would have to have made gains somewhere. And pretty much some of the most basic claims would have been to the immediately adjacent regions.

Also, there is a thread for these: the Proposals and War Aims that Didn't Happen thread.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
t was common enough to think that Russia would be an overall better protector of Poland national interests than Germany

Which it wasn't. I understand the geopolitical motivation behind the move (France couldn't support Polish indepdence while it was allied to Russia), but it isn't in line with the former Franco-Polish friendship.

Which it wasn't.
Do we really need to point at each work of propaganda or self-rationalisation that it wasn't realistic or spot on?
"Oh, and by the way, the German-supported Kingdom of Poland wasn't really independent"
"But actually, Danemark didn't even wanted to annex Hambourg".

It goes without saying, I'd have tought.

I understand the geopolitical motivation behind the move (France couldn't support Polish indepdence while it was allied to Russia), but it isn't in line with the former Franco-Polish friendship.
As I said, there was popular support for Polish, geopolitical rationalisation from French government, and outright lunacy about Russia being sort of best pals of everyone safe Germany which doesn't really count anyway.