1635, etc...

It has just came to my attention there a metric tonne more of 1632 series than I was aware of. The last I read was the Baltic war but it seems they've fully gone past that now and into 1635.
1634 wise I've read Ram Rebellion too however despite buying Gallileo Affair I hated it and didn't get far in.

So...what should be read in 1635 and in what order?
I guess canon law is the gallileo affair sequel?
What of the others?
And this Ring of Fire 2?

Tyr :they just published Ring of Fire 3.One of the anthology Grantville Gazettes(4 0r 5)listed Flint's recommendation.There is another book coming in January 2012.If I find a book with recommendation I will let you know.

Wouldn't GG 4 or 5 be years ago though? So not up to date with anything past the first 1634?

NothingNow

Banned
Wouldn't GG 4 or 5 be years ago though? So not up to date with anything past the first 1634?

It depends on the type of GG. The online ones are IIRC monthly or something, while the bound ones are pretty much "best of" collections. But the printed GGIV does have stories running throughout the entire period. It's the latest one I have ATM since I swapped all my 1634s and 1635s with my Grandfather for some other sci-fi, AH, and Speculative Biology stuff.

So...what should be read in 1635 and in what order?
Depends. Publication order works fine if you want to both know the whole plot and not to get any spoilers, and is, so far as I can tell "official."

Ifyou only want the "good stuff" then anything not written by either Flint himself and alone or Weber&Flint can be safely skipped. Thats's my preferred reading order...
1634: The Baltic War,
1635: The Eastern Front
1636: The Saxon Uprising

The quality of the rest is... Well... Not to be snobbish... Mixed as all heck with Sturgeon's law being the only law. David Carrico's short stories about musicians are consistently good quality as is Iver Cooper's non-fiction. Huff&Goodlett are... are... Ok, I know that 163x ignores such little facts as differences between Hochdeutch and Plattdüütsch (which yes, were themselves diverse dialect groups), or Early Modern and Modern English, but I can't forgive them butchery of 1600's Russian. If you are interspersing Russian words and modes of address throughout your work, please, please, check they existed and meant what they mean now back then, or use Modern English for everything, as the rest of the series does.

I loved 1632 and 1633 and even the first RoF compilation, but the Galileo Affair was such a snorefest that it pretty much killed my interest in the series. I remember picking up the Ram Rebellion later but never reading it.

Reading the latest book now Vol 3 of Ring of Fire.Looks good so far.One story involves a young John Milton and another a couple of characters from The Three Musketeers.You'll want to read a story about Royal Dutch Airline!Yikes!:D;)BTW you do know that the online Granville Gazette has been discontinued.

BTW you do know that the online Granville Gazette has been discontinued.
Was it? Last time I checked Baen's Universe was discontinued, but I heard nothing about the GG, and there appears to be nothing on their site. Do you have any links?

All I know is the author said in either Ring of Fire collection or the last Grantville collection they would be going to paper.No more online.Believe this MIGHT be due to Baen going off line.Hope this helps.If I find out more I will let you know.Do check out Grantville 5.

The Grantville Gazette is definitely still up and running. There were some changes made as they transitioned their bundle packages to Amazon. Eric has also started a new publishing effort called Ring of Fire Press that's bringing out the serialized stories in the Gazette as stand alone books. They've also offered a Print on Demand option that is excellent. I've gotten a copy of the new mainline story 'The Danish Scheme'. It's in a 6" x 8" format that has slightly larger print that is easy for older eyes to read.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I loved 1632 and 1633 and even the first RoF compilation, but the Galileo Affair was such a snorefest that it pretty much killed my interest in the series. I remember picking up the Ram Rebellion later but never reading it.

Lol, I read this and thought "Did I write that?" and had to check, because that was exactly my experience.

Glad if they managed to rescue the series and sort it out in a more realistic and interesting way

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

From what I see on Amazon, The Danish Scheme is doing well sales wise and the reviews have been favorable. With the possibility of 1632 being done as a TV series, this story line adds another possibility for the show.