16:51 Service to (Rail in the UK, mk2)

I think it depends on the technology used (ie. the cladding of the walls). If you've tunnelled through rock under a hill, then you could probably enlargen it fairly easily....if you tunnelled through softer material, it'd probably be difficult to enlargen it and easier to make a new tunnel.
Cheers. I can't remember which specific tunnels we were talking about now but the conversation was generally about how to shift the maximum amount of shipping container traffic over onto the railways so having deal which meant dealing with things like loading gauges and what lines to use.

Devvy

Donor
Talking of tunneling, when was the first use of what can be considered to be the first modern TBM?

Wiki says:

The first boring machine reported to have been built was Henri-Joseph Maus' Mountain Slicer. Commissioned by the King of Sardinia in 1845 to dig the Fréjus Rail Tunnel between France and Italy through the Alps, Maus had it built in 1846 in an arms factory near Turin. It consisted of more than 100 percussion drills mounted in the front of a locomotive-sized machine, mechanically power-driven from the entrance of the tunnel. The Revolutions of 1848 affected the funding, and the tunnel was not completed until 10 years later, by using less innovative and less expensive methods such as pneumatic drills.

Cheers. I can't remember which specific tunnels we were talking about now but the conversation was generally about how to shift the maximum amount of shipping container traffic over onto the railways so having deal which meant dealing with things like loading gauges and what lines to use.

I guess if we are talking about near surface tunnels through hills, then it's probably easier to rebore a new tunnel then enlargen an existing one. Too much risk of tunnel collapse, as you are having to take out the tunnel lining in order to expand it, and most hills are just soil!

In the UK - the Woodhead Tunnels had 2 early tunnels that were perfectly usable, but as they wanted to electrify it was easier for them to just bore a whole new tunnel (despite it being almost 5km long) that was big enough for double track and OHLE rather then enlargen the existing tunnels.

I guess if we are talking about near surface tunnels through hills, then it's probably easier to rebore a new tunnel then enlargen an existing one. Too much risk of tunnel collapse, as you are having to take out the tunnel lining in order to expand it, and most hills are just soil!

In the UK - the Woodhead Tunnels had 2 early tunnels that were perfectly usable, but as they wanted to electrify it was easier for them to just bore a whole new tunnel (despite it being almost 5km long) that was big enough for double track and OHLE rather then enlargen the existing tunnels.
Makes sense, plus has the advantage of allowing you to continue the new tunnels until you switch over once they're completed.

Wiki says:

The first boring machine reported to have been built was Henri-Joseph Maus' Mountain Slicer. Commissioned by the King of Sardinia in 1845 to dig the Fréjus Rail Tunnel between France and Italy through the Alps, Maus had it built in 1846 in an arms factory near Turin. It consisted of more than 100 percussion drills mounted in the front of a locomotive-sized machine, mechanically power-driven from the entrance of the tunnel. The Revolutions of 1848 affected the funding, and the tunnel was not completed until 10 years later, by using less innovative and less expensive methods such as pneumatic drills.

Yeah, I read that but it doesn't say how the spoil was removed or the tunnel was to be lined.

I guess it depends on what you regard as a modern TBM - for my question I am assuming one that bores the tunnel, has spoil removed by conveyor and a system for lining the tunnel all built in.