12:08 - Redux

@JN1 absolutely. My views have evolved over the years. I used to be a staunch monarchist, traditionalist Catholic, Victoriana fan and avowed champion of the railways. I'm now an atheist republican and iconoclastic modernist who detests most things Victorian and realises that most railways are a waste of money better spent on roads.

@JN1 absolutely. My views have evolved over the years. I used to be a staunch monarchist, traditionalist Catholic, Victoriana fan and avowed champion of the railways. I'm now an atheist republican and iconoclastic modernist who detests most things Victorian and realises that most railways are a waste of money better spent on roads.

You have made some interesting points, but I think we might be better moving the discussion of road vs rail to a dedicated thread for it since its more of an OTL discussion IMHO than one to have in the context of Devvy's timeline since we do not know how wide/much of a butterfly effect there has been ITTL as they have chosen to focus on the rail industry and not politics in general.

Devvy

Donor
Well that was a fun trip off-piste for the thread! :) No idea what the final straw was for the user to get banned, but I can live with that...

Currently writing an additional little bonus about the ATL Thalys for a corresponding view from the other side of the Channel...

One question @Devvy - if FireWire is the predominant data/charging tech for UK trains has that had an effect on planes/mobile phone/laptop/in car systems etc?

Devvy

Donor
One question @Devvy - if FireWire is the predominant data/charging tech for UK trains has that had an effect on planes/mobile phone/laptop/in car systems etc?

That was a little side-butterfly which at the time I liked, but became an unpredictable pain the more I thought about it as I rolled through the chapters. If firewire is widespread, and everyone plugs in for power (like we do now with USB), and network is available, does WiFi become as ubiquitous? 3G/4G/5G networks? No idea.

But if Firewire is in the mobile phones for charging on trains, it'll be the same in the homes (firewire plugs, maybe with integrated ethernet by powerline?) and on planes (knock on effect of earlier internet onboard if you don't need to use wireless communications to your device?). Probably should have left it as USB and stuck to trains, but I'm also a technology guy and didn't really think that through! :)

Same for low powered tablets, laptops, etc etc; all will have firewire on for charging and network.

That was a little side-butterfly which at the time I liked, but became an unpredictable pain the more I thought about it as I rolled through the chapters. If firewire is widespread, and everyone plugs in for power (like we do now with USB), and network is available, does WiFi become as ubiquitous? 3G/4G/5G networks? No idea.

But if Firewire is in the mobile phones for charging on trains, it'll be the same in the homes (firewire plugs, maybe with integrated ethernet by powerline?) and on planes (knock on effect of earlier internet onboard if you don't need to use wireless communications to your device?). Probably should have left it as USB and stuck to trains, but I'm also a technology guy and didn't really think that through! :)

Same for low powered tablets, laptops, etc etc; all will have firewire on for charging and network.

I guess Firewire will become popular and spread everywhere and then evolve as time goes on, Firewire 2, 3 etc. Since their cannot be enough charging ports for everyone, esp standing passengers then I can still see wireless and the G networks still happening, however Firewire will be popular until at least 5G as a wired network will always be faster- perhaps 5G takes longer to arrive and/or the bidding is less for the licences than OTL.

At home I can Firewire ports on plug sockets, and home routers, plus as you suggested plug in devices, but again wireless will be there, though I suspect it will be slower and take longer as folk will be so used to plugging in for stable connections.

One interesting butterfly might be that Apple allows for Firewire to be used 'free' of licencing so PC companies like Dell, HP etc take it up much more over USB. If there is no connector changes as well widespread use then I can see costs come down and speeds go up. Now if it can also replace std Ethernet connectors....