Orange Tempest

OTL this hurricane peetered out after hitting Newfoundland and traveling west of Greenland. In ATL, Igor follows a more horizontal path and it's center hits around Maine before circling back to Europe? Am I reading this right?

OTL this hurricane peetered out after hitting Newfoundland and traveling west of Greenland. In ATL, Igor follows a more horizontal path and it's center hits around Maine before circling back to Europe? Am I reading this right?

ITTL, Igor curves sharply to the northwest and accelerates after passing over Bermuda, then hits Nantucket and Cape Cod, curves to the northeast, passes up the Bay of Fundy, crosses the neck of Nova Scotia, passes over the southern tip of Prince Edward Island and then over Cape Breton Island, curving towards the east, hits St-Pierre and Miquelon, passes over the Burin and Avalon Peninsulae of southern Newfoundland (by this time it's going virtually due east), then races out into the Atlantic. It's currently a bit over three-fifths of the way from Newfoundland to western Ireland, and now it's curving to the northeast. Moving quite fast, too, if I may add.

Hope you liked the latest update, BTW. Sorry about the huge wall of text.

I'm gonna call implausibility on the RI and Mass state governments evacuating to Pittsfield, I think you need to clarify exactly what happened to Boston and Providence. Springfield and Hartford are better choices respectively regardless of either city's condition; Pittsfield is too remote and too small.

I probably don't have much to go home to now thanks to what was done to the Cape. And the situation is probably a lot worse thanks to one problem you forgot to overlook: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth. Your storm surge probably just started a Fukashima 6 months early.

So congrats, you get a vladdy from me for ruining my ATL life.

I'm gonna call implausibility on the RI and Mass state governments evacuating to Pittsfield, I think you need to clarify exactly what happened to Boston and Providence. Springfield and Hartford are better choices respectively regardless of either city's condition; Pittsfield is too remote and too small.

Boston was almost entirely destroyed, experiencing 145-mph winds with gusts to over 165 mph, plus a massive storm surge and several feet (yes, feet) of rain, and, just to top it off, 17 tornadoes, including an EF3, all of which combined to virtually flatten the city. Providence didn't experience quite as much wind, but had an even worse storm surge, thanks to Narragansett Bay funnelling the surge into Providence, which, as a result, was utterly flooded, and they also got the same horrific amounts of rain, plus five tornadoes (three EF0s, an EF1, and another EF3) within the metropolitan area. Worcester is also down for the count, thanks to its hills forming a natural rain funnel and pouring their rain down into the central urban areas - that, plus 115-mph winds and two tornadoes (an EF1 and an EF2). Springfield got 90-mph winds, plus four feet of rain and two EF1 tornadoes, so I'm really not sure that it would be an option at the moment. Hartford, mmm, maybe, but it did get 75-mph winds and quite a lot of rain, so I'm really not sure.

I probably don't have much to go home to now thanks to what was done to the Cape. And the situation is probably a lot worse thanks to one problem you forgot to overlook: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth. Your storm surge probably just started a Fukashima 6 months early.

So congrats, you get a vladdy from me for ruining my ATL life.

Holy cow, I completely missed that!:eek::eek::eek:

Editing update to reflect this...

Is... it really possible for a hurricane to obliterate Boston and barrel on for Europe? It seems kind of ASB to me.

Is this just a mention of a Vlad Tepes, or do I get the whole shebang?:cool:

Well for me it might as well be a Vlad Tepes because you have utterly destroyed and irradiated my home, and ATL me would be completely helpless because I'd be in college in Vermont and forced to watch at a distance, and now I have no home to go to.

Also, from the political perspective most midterm elections throughout New England will be difficult to carry out because constituencies (and probably candidates) have been destroyed. Deval Patrick probably gets reelected because something will have happened to Charlie Baker and Richard Tiesi. Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Rhode Island were open races so it's impossible to see who wins those. Jodi Rell (R-CT) and Jim Douglas (R-VT) might be pressured to run again in light of the situation, but Carcieri (R-RI) and Baldacci (D-ME) were term limited so they have to leave office, and the races to succeed them were both close with strong third party bids.

The real storm has yet to begin :D

There's also some LNG terminals in the area which might get badly hit.
I have a friend in Maine who would be in big trouble in this scenario.
As for where the states may be run from:
Massachusetts:
Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency bunker at Framingham
Connecticut:
Connecticut State Emergency Operations Center on the ground floor of the state armory at Hartford
Rhode Island:
Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency, Cranston (Near an armory- and two prisons)
I think Maine and New Hampshire have capitols far enough inland to run the states, and I know Vermont and New York do.

Waiting for more...

Is Boston irradiated?

What's the death toll from this so far? (I'm afraid to ask)

Last edited:
Is Boston irradiated?

No - the radiation is confined to the southern two-thirds of Plymouth County, the eastern half to two-thirds of Bristol County (except for the far northeastern corner), and the parts of Barnstable and Dukes Counties that weren't hit by the storm surge (the parts that were hit, plus all of Nantucket County, were scoured clean of nearly all the radioactive material that fell on them - one of the few good effects of the massive storm surge).

What's the death toll from this so far? (I'm afraid to ask)

Direct fatalities: 19,378 in the United States, 5,872 in Canada, 2,268 in Bermuda, 25 from a cargo vessel caught north of Bermuda, and 17 from a Hurricane Hunter aircraft downed south of Bermuda.

Indirect fatalities: 318 in the contiguous United States, 107 in Canada, 7 in the Bahamas, 3 in the Dominican Republic, 1 in Haiti, 1 in Puerto Rico, 1 in Antigua and Barbuda, 1 in Sint-Maarten, and 1 in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Just a meteorological update for today, folks - I should have another prose update tomorrow.

You did this, Lycaon pictus.

--------------------

From the National Hurricane Center website ([noparse]www.nhc.noaa.gov[/noparse]), 24 September 2010:

ZCZC MIATCPAT1 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IGOR ADVISORY NUMBER 67
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL112010
0500 PM AST FRI SEP 24 2010

...IGOR MAKES LANDFALL AT BALLYSHANNON...STARTING TO WEAKEN BUT STILL A DANGEROUS HURRICANE AS IT RACES THROUGH NORTHERN IRELAND...STILL REFUSING TO BECOME EXTRATROPICAL...

SUMMARY OF 0500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...54.5N 7.3W
ABOUT 33 MI...53 KM E OF BALLYSHANNON IRELAND
ABOUT 35 MI...56 KM S OF LONDONDERRY NORTHERN IRELAND
ABOUT 53 MI...85 KM W OF BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/HR
PRESENT MOVEMENT...E OR 90 DEGREES AT 51 MPH...82 KM/HR
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...980 MB...28.94 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

MET ÉIREANN HAS DOWNGRADED THE HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE COASTS OF COUNTIES MAYO AND GALWAY FROM GALWAY BAY WESTWARD AND NORTHWARD TO BENWEE HEAD TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING.

THE MET OFFICE HAS UPGRADED THE TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE SHETLAND ISLANDS TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE COASTS OF COUNTIES DONEGAL...LEITRIM...SLIGO...AND MAYO FROM BENWEE HEAD NORTHEASTWARD AND EASTWARD TO THE NORTHERN IRISH BORDER.
* THE COASTS OF COUNTIES DUBLIN...MEATH...AND LOUTH FROM PORTMARNOCK NORTHWARD TO THE NORTHERN IRISH BORDER.
* THE COAST OF NORTHERN IRELAND.
* THE WEST COASTS OF CUMBRIA COUNTY...DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY REGION...AND STRATHCLYDE REGION FROM BEES HEAD NORTHWARD...WESTWARD...AND NORTHWESTWARD TO OBAN.
* THE ISLE OF MAN.
* THE ISLANDS OF ARRAN...BUTE...ISLAY...JURA...COLONSAY...MULL...AND TIREE.
* ALL MINOR ISLANDS ADJOINING THESE SHORES.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* THE COASTS OF COUNTIES MAYO...GALWAY...CLARE...LIMERICK...KERRY...CORK...WATERFORD...KILKENNY...WEXFORD...WICKLOW...AND DUBLIN FROM BENWEE HEAD SOUTHWARD...EASTWARD...AND NORTHWARD TO PORTMARNOCK.
* THE COASTS OF DORSET COUNTY...DEVON COUNTY...CORNWALL...SOMERSET COUNTY...AVON COUNTY...GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY...GWENT COUNTY...SOUTH GLAMORGAN COUNTY...MID GLAMORGAN COUNTY...GLAMORGAN COUNTY...DYFED COUNTY...GWYNEDD COUNTY...CLWYD COUNTY...CHESHIRE COUNTY...MERSEYSIDE COUNTY...LANCASHIRE COUNTY...AND CUMBRIA COUNTY FROM THE BILL OF PORTLAND WESTWARD...NORTHEASTWARD...WESTWARD...NORTHWARD...EASTWARD...NORTHWARD...AND NORTHWESTWARD TO ST BEES HEAD.
* THE COASTS OF HUMBERSIDE COUNTY...NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY...CLEVELAND COUNTY...DURHAM COUNTY...TYNE AND WEAR COUNTY...NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY...BORDERS REGION...LOTHIAN REGION...CENTRAL REGION...FIFE REGION...TAYSIDE REGION...GRAMPIAN REGION...HIGHLAND REGION...AND STRATHCLYDE REGION FROM FLAMBOROUGH HEAD NORTHWEST...NORTHEAST...WEST...NORTHEAST...WEST...SOUTHWEST...AND SOUTH TO OBAN.
* THE ISLES OF SCILLY.
* THE WESTERN ISLES.
* THE ORKNEY ISLANDS.
* THE SHETLAND ISLANDS.
* THE ISLE OF SKYE.
* THE ISLANDS OF ANGLESEY...COLL...RUM...EIGG...RAASAY...AND SCALPAY.
* ALL MINOR ISLANDS ADJOINING THESE SHORES.

A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA...IN THIS CASE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA...IN THIS CASE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 0500 PM AST...2100 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE IGOR WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 54.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 7.3 WEST. IGOR IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST NEAR 51 MPH...82 KM/HR...AND A TURN TO THE NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED TONIGHT...FOLLOWED BY A TURN TO THE NORTH SATURDAY MORNING. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF THE CYCLONE WILL CROSS OVER THE NORTH CHANNEL AND SOUTHERN SCOTLAND TONIGHT...BEFORE MOVING OUT OVER THE NORTH SEA ON SATURDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 100 MPH...160 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. IGOR IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. FURTHER WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS IGOR PASSES OVER SCOTLAND AND THE NORTH SEA...AND IGOR IS LIKELY TO BECOME A STRONG EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE ON SATURDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 90 MILES...145 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 385 MILES...620 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 980 MB...28.94 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND
----------------------
WIND...SUSTAINED HURRICANE FORCE WINDS OF UP TO 100 MPH...WITH GUSTS POSSIBLY REACHING 115 MPH...WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT NORTHERN IRELAND THROUGH THIS EVENING...BUT SHOULD DIMINISH OVERNIGHT...AND WILL ALSO BEGIN TO AFFECT THE PARTS OF SCOTLAND LYING WITHIN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA...BUT ARE NOT EXPECTED TO CONTINUE PAST TOMORROW MORNING. WINDS OF TROPICAL STORM OR GALE FORCE WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT IRELAND...SCOTLAND...AND NORTHERN AND WESTERN ENGLAND OVERNIGHT...AND SHOULD BEGIN TO AFFECT THE SHETLAND ISLANDS ON SATURDAY...BUT SHOULD TAPER OFF BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

RAINFALL...4 TO 5 ADDITIONAL INCHES OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED OVER IRELAND...SCOTLAND...AND NORTHERN AND WESTERN ENGLAND...AND LESSER AMOUNTS ELSEWHERE...THROUGH MIDDAY SATURDAY...BRINGING RAINFALL TOTALS FOR THE BRITISH ISLES TO BETWEEN 5 AND 10 INCHES OF RAIN. 2 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN ARE ALSO EXPECTED OVER THE SHETLAND ISLANDS ON SATURDAY.

STORM SURGE...A SEVERE STORM SURGE WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE SEVERE COASTAL FLOODING IN NORTHERN IRELAND AND WESTERN SCOTLAND...SIGNIFICANT COASTAL FLOODING IN NORTHERN AND WESTERN ENGLAND AND WALES...AND SOME COASTAL FLOODING IN EASTERN SCOTLAND...NORTHEASTERN ENGLAND...AND THE ORKNEY ISLANDS...THROUGH MIDDAY SATURDAY...AND WILL ALSO PRODUCE SOME COASTAL FLOODING IN THE SHETLAND ISLANDS ON SATURDAY. THE SURGE WILL CONTINUE TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE AND DESTRUCTIVE WAVES.

SURF...LARGE SWELLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT IRELAND...WALES...WESTERN ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND...AND THE SOUTH COAST OF ICELAND TONIGHT...BUT WILL SUBSIDE SATURDAY MORNING...AND WILL BEGIN TO AFFECT EASTERN SCOTLAND...NORTHEASTERN ENGLAND...THE NETHERLANDS...WESTERN DENMARK...SOUTHWESTERN NORWAY...AND THE ORKNEY...SHETLAND...AND FAROE ISLANDS TONIGHT AND SATURDAY MORNING. SWELLS WILL SUBSIDE RAPIDLY IN BRITTANY AND SOUTHERN GREENLAND TONIGHT...AND SHOULD BE COMPLETELY FINISHED BY SATURDAY MORNING. THESE SWELLS ARE LIKELY TO CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING SURF AND RIP CURRENTS. PLEASE CONSULT PRODUCTS FROM YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY...800 PM AST.
NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...1100 PM AST.

$$
FORECASTER BERG

NNNN

Last edited:
Obama is going to have to find a new place to go on vacation and golf...:D

(Sorry, couldn't resist with the media's focusing on Obama's vacations)

BTW, how is this affecting college football, the MLB (who's season is closing), the NFL, the NBA, and college basketball, as well as the NHL?