The Lucky Country: Protect and Survive in Australia

Australia would have seemed an attractive place for my real family to try evacuating to before the nukes start flying if WWIII got started like it did in Protect & Survive. Not just that Oz would get off more lightly than Canada, but also there was that fear of a nuclear winter as portrayed by Carl Sagan (today, it turns out that this is overblown by a great deal).

My father is Australian by birth, my late mother English, and they both first came to Canada in 1968, but spent a few years in Sydney and Canberra after I was born and we returned to Canada in '75. I was living with a foster family in Edmonton in the 1980s, but I would have been sent home to my real family, who lived up in Northern Alberta - and probably likely went to Australia shortly afterwards with them.

All of my cousins, aunts and uncles and grandparents on my dad's side would have been living in various parts of Sydney in 1984. Most, if not all, were living in the northern suburbs up to as far north as Bayview by Pittwater. Unfortunately, evacuating by road from there would be a bit of a hassle because of Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park in the way and you'd have to drive a bit south to get to the M1 north in the direction of Newcastle and the Central Coast of NSW. Getting out by boat would be a lot easier - if you can get to the ferry in Barrenjoey, or if you own a boat yourself (one of my uncles did have a yacht of his own, but I'm not sure if he still had it by then).

However, if I choose to start a P&S-related story thread of my own in the future, it's going to be set in Alberta and Western Canada, because that's where I've lived my whole life since 1975.

Now, I've been reading up on some P&S-related stuff regarding Australia, so I just want to point out which targets most likely got hit in P&S canon besides the obvious like Cairns and Canberra. Not to mention a few pieces of P&S-related literature set in Australia hidden away in When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread.

According to this piece written by Weaver, Cairns was hit by an SS-N-21 SLCM (Sea Launched Cruise Missile) several days after the Exchange.

And in The Land of Red and Black Scars, written by Alex1Guy, the Williamstown port and the Victoria Barracks (both just south of Melbbourne's CBD) were hit during the Exchange. Also, there were radio reports of a nuclear attack on RAAF Darwin, which means NT's capital is toast, and also unconfirmed reports of a nuclear attack in or near Townsville (there is an RAAF base and a military barracks there).

As some of you say, it's probably safe to assume a number of major RAAF/RAN bases and other significant military installations across Australia like Pine Gap will get destroyed. But some may survive.

But what of the state capitals? Would they also get targeted in order to decapitate state/territorial governments?

Might a new national capital be set up in Jervis Bay after Canberra's gone?

A few of you might be familiar with this link: AusSurvalist - Top 40 Australian Targets. Once again, I'm sure that many such places would likely survive.

As for Indonesia, has anyone in the canon yet covered what happened to it in the Exchange? That will be a huge factor in deciding if Indonesia wants to make a move on any Australian territory.

In here, written once again by Weaver, there is a group of Indonesian soldiers invading by helicopter, all of whom end up getting shot and knifed to death by a trio of local Australians in Cape York. It's also mentioned that an Australian had killed a carload of Indonesian military officials, but that Aussie guy ended spraining his ankle and was caught and hanged.

Odds are at least Jakarta and Surabaya are going up in nuclear fireballs. That's the capital and main fleet base gone...

So, I'd put very long odds on a concerted invasion attempt by the Indonesians. Stray military officers deciding to go a raiding to get their supporters food may be a different matter.

A nuclear strike on Jakarta and Surabaya and maybe a few other targets in Indonesia during the Exchange sounds possible. Especially by the Soviets. In OTL, Indonesia purged the Communists big time in 1965-66, killing about at least 500,000. So, if the same thing happened in this TL, then it's quite possible that the Soviets probably would have lobbed a few nukes at Indonesia in retribution for this.

I'd have to agree that if any members of the Indonesian military do end up on Aussie soil, it's probably most likely due to some rogue Indonesian military official ordering his men to go raiding for food and other stuff rather than an actual concerted effort to invade Australia - or they may be refugees themselves. As I mentioned in one of my posts earlier in this thread, Indonesia would very likely also be having too many problems at home, like Aceh separatists for example. After a nuclear war like this, it's much more likely that Australia would have to deal with refugees and pirates rather than soldiers coming from Indonesia (and other countries as well).

It's also plausible that like many navies, that the RAN will have tried to put as many working naval assets as possible out to sea in advance of a nuclear war so they don't get destroyed along with their bases, and in doing so, it may very well have quite a few of them patrolling the Arafura Sea in order to deter Indonesians (and probably others) from trying to reach Australia. Not to mention perhaps a few boats from the US Navy, Royal Navy and maybe even the French Navy (look at PimpLenin's most recent update).

Interesting point. By this time the nuclear debate was well and truly in the public consciousness too.

I doubt somehow that Muldoon would do a repeat of the events immediately before calling the Snap Election. I suspect he will seize hold of this opportunity to unify the nation around him. He was still pretty popular after all, in some areas and with a war, the National rebels are unlikely to undermine him and so he would not need to consider a snap election. I also suspect Bob Jone's NZ Party spoiler will not work ITTL, if there is an election, for the same reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think Muldoon would likely lose the election later in the year, if held (probably wouldn't be), but the margin may be lower.

Yes, agreed on all points. I think Muldoon and National were done by 1984 IOTL no matter what. I'm old enough to remember "Rob Muldoon before he robs you" jokes, and the jubilant air at the election night party I went to with my parents. The country was ready for change.

19 February 1984 - 2:10 pm
Eastern Freeway
Melbourne, VIC

The frustrated father sat at the wheel of his Holden Commodore, stuck in a sea of traffic that extended as far as the eye could see.

“Christ, we’ll never get out of this bloody mess.”

His wife, equally as frustrated, leaned with her head resting on the passenger side window.

“I know. It’s been six hours and we’ve only gone 40 k’s.”

The father grumbled.

“We could have walked out of the city faster. And we are going to run out of petrol soon.”

“Dad! I’m hungry!”

“Mum! I’m bored!”

As the father gripped the steering wheel, turning his knuckles white, he thought that at that moment, a nuclear bomb would be a deliverance.

As a father with two small children I can empathise :).

If the canon exchange time (roughly 1800 GMT) applies to the attack on Australia this means the warheads arrive in the early morning, which may reduce casualties as less people will be out and about. For working out local times summer daylight savings might also apply.

Yes, agreed on all points. I think Muldoon and National were done by 1984 IOTL no matter what. I'm old enough to remember "Rob Muldoon before he robs you" jokes, and the jubilant air at the election night party I went to with my parents. The country was ready for change.

I suspect if the Labour majority was a bit smaller they wouldn't do much radical. Except of course in this thread where nuclear war was the issue.

Happily? For NZ this was just before the big agricultural crash, so production of certain things like grain were very big as was sheep. NZ light industry would be in better shape too

Unless ABC is playing it down I'm surprised that only 2 people were killed at Sydney Central Railway Station. There would be every temptation, and indeed arguably justification, for armed soldiers to open fire on a mob attacking them.
In 1984 the Australian Army was still equipped with the L1A1 SLR and at short range it is very likely that any 7.62mm rounds fired will hit more than one person. However as the US Army found in Somalia, fixing bayonets and advancing on the crowd is a very good way to disperse them.

I see also that the government does not seem to have taken the step of restricting civilian access to the major roads, as we would have done. The result is that at least one majorfreeway is now effectivley blocked.

Good chapter.

PimpLenin

Banned
I'd like some opinions, please. How set into P&S canon that Cairns is hit several days after the main event? I'm prepared to write it either way, although it would make more sense to me that it would be hit as part of the main exchange since it is a major target. As well-written as Weaver's stuff is in When the Wind Blows, it is not part of an "official" timeline and already falls out of canon with my timeline.

Anyway, only a small update for tonight. I'll have to get my notes together and do the write-up for the big day.

PimpLenin

Banned
ABC1_zps79c1e7d0.jpg

20 February 1984 - 7:00 pm

This is the news from the ABC.

Fierce fighting continues in Germany. Warsaw Pact forces launched a new offensive against NATO, making a break-though in the Fulda Gap. There are unconfirmed reports that the Soviets have used nerve agents against NATO troops. These reports are unconfirmed at this time. In Norway, Soviet forces have also launched a successful offensive. In the Middle East, the Israeli Air Force has begun a massive air campaign against Damascus, Syria.

In Sydney, the deployment of additional police and soldiers to the major rail stations has prevented a repeat of yesterday's disturbances. Traffic along the major routes out of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth continues to cause problems. All state governments have issued statements asking people to remain in their homes and to keep roadways open for military, emergency, and official traffic only.

=====​

ABC1_zps79c1e7d0.jpg

21 February 1984 - Midnight

This is the news from the ABC.

Here are details on recent developments in Europe. It is reported that British oil installations in the North Sea have been attacked, and that several drilling rigs are ablaze. In the United States, the Pentagon announced that U.S. Airborne forces have landed in Denmark and Finland in an effort to repel Soviet forces.

As a father with two small children I can empathise :).

If the canon exchange time (roughly 1800 GMT) applies to the attack on Australia this means the warheads arrive in the early morning, which may reduce casualties as less people will be out and about. For working out local times summer daylight savings might also apply.

IIRC, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, and South Australia all observed DST in 1984.....although Queensland and Western Australia didn't.....and neither did the Northern Territory.

I'd like some opinions, please. How set into P&S canon that Cairns is hit several days after the main event? I'm prepared to write it either way, although it would make more sense to me that it would be hit as part of the main exchange since it is a major target. As well-written as Weaver's stuff is in When the Wind Blows, it is not part of an "official" timeline and already falls out of canon with my timeline.

Anyway, only a small update for tonight. I'll have to get my notes together and do the write-up for the big day.

The mechanism by which Cairns was hit as referenced seems a bit unlikely, so not hitting it post exchange is a viable re-work I think.

It's just fine by me, to change the Cairns strike if the overall view is that it is non-canon. I actually lived in Cairns at that time and was one of the characters I wrote into the piece. It was a bit of fun.

Just by the by though, I had two waves of strikes on That Day...the first seven aimed at military installations and C3, and the second wave never clarified. Hawke was interrupted during his broadcast by an assumed strike on Canberra. The local radio 4CA mentioned "many" strikes though, and contact was lost with other areas.

Just a further thought, I worked for the Port Authority at that time and was involved in both Airport and Seaport management. We always considered that Cairns had a military role and was a likely target in case of war.

Our runway was 2,600 meters long and could take the very largest aircraft, even the huge Russian transports that dwarfed a 747.

I still think it was on the list.

Cairns was due some instant sunshine in case of war, methinks--too vital and important a place to leave unstruck.

To Australians, definitely, but to the Soviets as well? I'm not sure it is. It has an airport that won't have been upgraded ITTL completely before the exchange so won't rank as a strategic target. The Chinese may target Australia but most of their missiles will be aimed at the Soviets, South Korea and Japan.
I think the Cairns nuke could be written off as a rumour to be later disproven.

Dan, the runway upgrade was complete in February 1984. Our first 747 landed on 31 March 1984. I was there in the official welcoming party. I think the flight was from Los Angeles, but could be wrong....it's been 30 years.

I don't exactly want the place hit ;) , but it was a runway capable of taking B52s and C141s and as important to hit as Townsville was.

Riain

Banned
To Australians, definitely, but to the Soviets as well? I'm not sure it is. It has an airport that won't have been upgraded ITTL completely before the exchange so won't rank as a strategic target. The Chinese may target Australia but most of their missiles will be aimed at the Soviets, South Korea and Japan.
I think the Cairns nuke could be written off as a rumour to be later disproven.

If there is only going to be a handful of nukes hitting Australia I doubt anyone would put Cairns on the list, even with a big new runway, it just doesn't have the payoff that other cities do.

Dan, the runway upgrade was complete in February 1984. Our first 747 landed on 31 March 1984. I was there in the official welcoming party. I think the flight was from Los Angeles, but could be wrong....it's been 30 years.

I don't exactly want the place hit ;) , but it was a runway capable of taking B52s and C141s and as important to hit as Townsville was.

That was information I couldn't find. I still think it would have been too recent for the Soviets or the Chinese to have updated their target list though. It WILL however make Cairns a major centre post war.

Whilst there are plenty of reasons why Cairns should or should not be on Soviet target plans, sadly 'sh1t happens' especially in war and justifications can easily be found. The most obvious one is that Cairns might not originally be on a target plan, until the media report that some Soviet planes have landed there & asked to be interned - so the Soviets, in an act of spite - decide to kill the traitors and the potential threat the aircraft represent.

After all, if you've got a full strategic exchange (if not more than one - there was a strange blue flash reported in the original P&S several days after the strike), then why not have one more corpse amongst the rubble?

I recall Cairns got nuked due to the arrival of a British submarine, presumably an SSGN. I don't believe a Royal Navy SSBN wouldn't have gone that deep into the South Pacific prior to the Exchange and it was too soon for an RN SSBN to turn up in Australia after the Exchange and reading the Letter of Last Resort.