When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

In light of recent events, here, the P&S team have decided to start the (drum roll please) Protect and Survive Open Thread, a place for you to post your own short stories and ideas set in the P&S universe as well as discuss the changes happening in the whole metaverse. Here we can talk about countries not specifically mentioned in the initial P&S spinoffs and the original thread.

Ooh Macraggle! Mario! Chipperback! Gen_Patton! I have a great idea for a TL set in (insert place name here) can I do it?

Sure, but first post your idea here in this thread following this form and please wait for a go signal:

Title of TL:

Setting:

Brief Description:

And remember, no wanking and please talk to us about your strike map before you begin. We don't want "and so Japan didn't suffer any strikes and took over the known world in 5 years, solved radiation sickness, and colonized the moon. MUHAHAHA." Please no wanking.

Thanks

-The Protect and Survive team.

Last edited:
I'm kind of tempted to do one set very specifically in the Newark area, but the characters would have to be based on people I know now, since I'd find that easier than trying to write people based on my parents generation. I dunno if I could do it justice (and I also don't want to take my creative efforts away from my own TL at the moment).

I was brainstorming for a short story on the Bishop of Cleveland dealing with a humanitarian crisis, but I've got to do work for the BIRT first. Maybe I'll contribute to this later.

I try to cure Macragge's blind spot on German geography ;) by writing a Swiss report to HM Government about the situation in the northern neighbour. Turned out to be larger than expected and very detailed (the more you write, the more ideas pour into your brain), but however, the format of a governmental report is very different from the very personal and novelistic style of the masters of P&S.

Once finished (6 Länder finished, 5 plus GDR to go....), I will leave it to Macragge to decide how and where to put it. If people like the start of it, I might feel tempted to create a Swiss character as an alter ego and do a diary for him or something of that kind (I would prefer to continue writing from a Swiss perspective although I have rarely ever touched Swiss soil....the German perspective is just too depressing for me).

stalkere is doing one set in New England already check it out here.

@Hornla: why don't you post a teaser of your report on Germany here. That's the point of an open thread you know.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The title of this thread has been changed at the OP's request.

CalBear in Mod Mode.

Here's my idea:

Title: Slowly Walk towards the Grave*
Setting: USSR
Description: Follows various surviving Soviet communities; some possibilities:
- People who survived by hiding in the Moscow (or Leningrad) subway tunnels and their attempts to manage what limited resources they have in the time before it is safe enough to return to the surface.
- People in various towns and villages in the Urals and Siberian regions, now some of the most populated in the USSR. Includes a war between various post-Soviet factions as various military leaders claim the settlements.
- The tale of Red Army troops in Central and Eastern Europe, many of whom try to live off the land, some of whom pursue the dream of returning to the motherland.
- A story of workers and technicians who survived in a hardened bunker/factory complex thing, and the postwar factions who want to manipulate this surviving relic of the industrial world.

*= The title comes from a cynical joke about the Soviet atomic civil defense program, which goes like this:
"What do you do when the air raid alarm sounds?"
"What?"
"Cover yourself in a white sheet and slowly walk towards the graveyard."
"Why slowly?"
"You wouldn't want to start a panic, would you?"

Title: The Sun Rises a Thousand Times
Setting: Japan
Description: A TL about how the Japanese survivors deal not only with massive destruction wrought upon their country, but also the impending famine that will kill just as many as the bombs did. I am particularly interested in how this nation fares because the Japanese have, as the recent earthquake demonstrated, a weird ability to stay orderly.

stalkere is doing one set in New England already check it out here.

@Hornla: why don't you post a teaser of your report on Germany here. That's the point of an open thread you know.
New York is not part of New England. that is drilled in our heads from when we are very little.

I assume that is where the characters will end up. There is now way they can last long in Buffalo. I'll talk with stalkere, and see what he thinks.

How about you submit a form like it says in the OP, and well take a closer look at it.

I assume that is where the characters will end up. There is now way they can last long in Buffalo. I'll talk with stalkere, and see what he thinks.

How about you submit a form like it says in the OP, and well take a closer look at it.

Title of TL:
Land of rolling hills
Setting: New England

Brief Description: tracking a group of refugees escaping devastation in Medway, MA(my hometown, or any suburb west of Boston)who trek north and try to find a new community or join an existing one in northern Maine. (Bonus points if they join up with Medway, ME)

I might write a short story set in West Africa in this world if anyone is interested.

That could be interesting, depending on how you do it. Perhaps a good idea would be to write about the effects of a nuclear bomb demolishing some dictator's capital city?

OK thanks for all the responses this thread is growing faster than I thought.

I have a few requests.

First:

If you are serious about proposing a full TL please use the format we asked for above, It makes things easier for us to figure out.

Second:

If you have a short story or mini-TL post it here for everyone to enjoy!

Thanks

Gen_Patton

Last edited: