Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
POD of October 7th, 1895, when Lenin trips, falls, and cripples himself. The Russian Tsar IS overthrown, but the resulting turmoil splits Russia apart. Hitler goes on to lose WWII against France, the U.K., and Italy, and Europe is redrawn to their liking. Overall results: Fractured Russia, no USSR, no PRC, no Cold War. May 1st, 1960:

XLenin1960.png

Io is a very dry, hot and volcanic planet. As such, during the period of colonization of the moons of Jupiter, Io was largely forgotten. Humans (Ionians) and the draconic xtlil are the native species of Io. Pre-contact civilization was not particularly advanced. Humans lived mostly on the coasts and had retained largely Bronze Age-civilization reminiscent of ancient Mesopotamian civilization, while the xtlil lived mostly as desert nomads and shepherds. There are no indengeous nations on Io, though there are still large number of xtilil tirbal nomads. Most off-world civilization has been along the coasts of the shallow seas and lakes (the central Colchis Sea has an average depth of 480 feet (146 meters), comparable to that of the American great lakes). The frontier is extremely dry and inhospitable, similar to the Arabian Empty Quarter.

Because of heavy volcanism, the soil of Io is very fertile and agriculture has become its dominant industry despite its relative dryness. The United States has come to dominate Io, and has formed the Io Waterworks and Aquifer Commission with other technocratic states. They have plans--dubbed Project AMBROSIA--to use low-yield nuclear warhead and massive earth movers to create canals and artificial lakes on the Empty Quarter and to fill it with water mined from other Jovian moons and asteroids. Comintern and the Non-Aligned League are highly skeptical of the project and are worried about environmental impact.

The Federation of Ionian Anarchists (the so-called Black Army) is a former Soviet SSR populated largely by ethnic Ukrainians, Finns, Lithuanians and Estonians. After a prolonged insurrection, the Black Army has gained independence of large number of anarchist communes, though Soviet occupation in some areas remain. The People's Republic of Jinggang is a Maoist remnant state who declared their independence from the Republic of China following the collapse of Communism in the past century, and the Holy Islamic Caliphate of Io is a fundamentalist Islamic state who is quite paranoid of everyone else, and rightfully so.

TKPrjDq.png

X4x2y5P.png

Here is some stuff I have been working on in my free time.

Constituent Countries of the Hullengard Confederation(Majority Religion Labeled):
U4iTjYO.png

Religion in the Hullengard Confederation:

XYF9vL9.png

Religion in the Constituent States of the Hullengard Confederation:

4dLUC07.png

Map of the World in the present (WIP):
cZyDgba.png

Map of the World a few centuries previous:
RPfxyAF.png

Io is a very dry, hot and volcanic planet. As such, during the period of colonization of the moons of Jupiter, Io was largely forgotten. Humans (Ionians) and the draconic xtlil are the native species of Io. Pre-contact civilization was not particularly advanced. Humans lived mostly on the coasts and had retained largely Bronze Age-civilization reminiscent of ancient Mesopotamian civilization, while the xtlil lived mostly as desert nomads and shepherds. There are no indengeous nations on Io, though there are still large number of xtilil tirbal nomads. Most off-world civilization has been along the coasts of the shallow seas and lakes (the central Colchis Sea has an average depth of 480 feet (146 meters), comparable to that of the American great lakes). The frontier is extremely dry and inhospitable, similar to the Arabian Empty Quarter.

Because of heavy volcanism, the soil of Io is very fertile and agriculture has become its dominant industry despite its relative dryness. The United States has come to dominate Io, and has formed the Io Waterworks and Aquifer Commission with other technocratic states. They have plans--dubbed Project AMBROSIA--to use low-yield nuclear warhead and massive earth movers to create canals and artificial lakes on the Empty Quarter and to fill it with water mined from other Jovian moons and asteroids. Comintern and the Non-Aligned League are highly skeptical of the project and are worried about environmental impact.

The Federation of Ionian Anarchists (the so-called Black Army) is a former Soviet SSR populated largely by ethnic Ukrainians, Finns, Lithuanians and Estonians. After a prolonged insurrection, the Black Army has gained independence of large number of anarchist communes, though Soviet occupation in some areas remain. The People's Republic of Jinggang is a Maoist remnant state who declared their independence from the Republic of China following the collapse of Communism in the past century, and the Holy Islamic Caliphate of Io is a fundamentalist Islamic state who is quite paranoid of everyone else, and rightfully so.

Your setting intrigues me. Will we be seeing a map of Earth?

CannedTech

Banned
HRE-ish EU is rule of cool done right.:cool:

I look forward to seeing the completed version of this map.:)

I concur with EBR.

Aye, thanks lads, though I warn you to expect nothing too quickly...

Is this based on 60m rise in sea level or something even higher? The US east coast and Mississippi basin looks worse off than most maps I've seen on the subject, but Australia looks better off.

It's 100m. I think at least.

Here is some stuff I have been working on in my free time.

Constituent Countries of the Hullengard Confederation(Majority Religion Labeled):

SNIP

Religion in the Hullengard Confederation:

SNIP

Religion in the Constituent States of the Hullengard Confederation:

SNIP

Map of the World in the present (WIP):

SNIP

Map of the World a few centuries previous:

SNIP

What language is Hullengard supposed to speak? Is it some sort of Brythonic tongue? If so, why a Nordic-esque name like "Hullengard"?

Hmm - some sort of more successful alt-French revolution?

(Damn, New England: y u no stay with US?)

Bruce

France wins the Seven Years' War.

The changes don't get fully felt towards the end of the 18th century....especially in the Americas.

They win, but still lose Louisiana and Canada?

What a gyp. :D

They win in Europe, which is all that matters.

Prussia turns into basically the equivalent of Bavaria while Austria becomes the undisputed ruler of Germany more or less. They still run the HRE in the 1880s, when this map is set.

They win in Europe, which is all that matters.

Meh. Maybe from an 18th century viewpoint, but if you want to create a "Greater [insert European country] overseas", North America is the place to be. Europe is a bunch of crabs in a bucket, man. :)

Bruce

Avskygod0

Banned
POD of October 7th, 1895, when Lenin trips, falls, and cripples himself. The Russian Tsar IS overthrown, but the resulting turmoil splits Russia apart. Hitler goes on to lose WWII against France, the U.K., and Italy, and Europe is redrawn to their liking. Overall results: Fractured Russia, no USSR, no PRC, no Cold War. May 1st, 1960:

That Karelia or whatever it is is gonna get really cut to pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.