The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
No...Theodosius can't die, he's the closest thing to a main character here. Do go George R R Martin on us. :p
He, he, he.
What a mess now, though! It's a great result for the Iranians, who can claim to have been on the verge of coming to a deal with Theodosius and use his death as a pretext for continuing the war. The Romans are going to be more divided than ever, but Theodosius' armies are decapitated: where will they go? If I were Khusrau, I'd be proclaiming Heraclius Emperor right about now, but who knows.

That said, are we sure Theodosius is actually dead? He's lost consciousness, sure, but that needn't mean anything, for now.
If Theodosius is dead, that would certainly be the way to go for the Sassanians; though, I wouldn't be too sure of Khosrau being too friendly with Heraclius, who, by the way, has "officially" left Iran.

Meanwhile in Anatolia both armies are headless, unless you want to count John as a somewhat important figure. And then again, our beloved Phocas is on the eve of crossing over to Chalcedon!

:eek:

But let's make sure the guy's dead first.

Indeed, indeed.

I am thinking, though, that even if Theodosius' actual wounds aren't fatal, rolling around with open wounds in poisoned wine is unlikely to help him out all that much. We'll see I guess, but my bets are on a dead Theodosius.

Will we be hearing from one of the "lesser" characters soon? Rustam was a particular favourite of mine, but that Constantinopolitan fisherman guy was cool too, and the narrative has seemingly been rather dominated by the aristocratic guys of late.

Indeed, indeed.

I am thinking, though, that even if Theodosius' actual wounds aren't fatal, rolling around with open wounds in poisoned wine is unlikely to help him out all that much. We'll see I guess, but my bets are on a dead Theodosius.

Will we be hearing from one of the "lesser" characters soon? Rustam was a particular favourite of mine, but that Constantinopolitan fisherman guy was cool too, and the narrative has seemingly been rather dominated by the aristocratic guys of late.

We've had Menander and Sigibuld make a couple of appearances; but granted, that was a couple of chapters ago. Rustam's next appearance will reveal the first reason for his being in the story at all, though that's still a chapter or two away.

And Aurelianus is actually scheduled to make an appearance in 3 updates!

Chapter 11 -III-

Carefully peeking out the window into the dark night, Priscus beheld a far more excited than normal nocturnal activity in The City of Constantine. The traders and their beasts, hauling the loads for the next day’s market, the slaves and workmen, tired, on their way home, all were usual sights. What was new, were the columns of torches that moved about in the distance, like fiery snakes, towards the piers on the Golden Horn; the last regiments of the Danubian legions on their way to Nicomedia. Sighing, he placed the curtain back and returned to sit on the bed of the small room. He ran a hand slowly his now clean shaven face, and continued reminiscing of the last couple of months, staring at the flickering light of the only candle in the chamber.

The escape from Dourostolon had been nothing but a miracle. Not only had Menander and his men broken into every house in the city, every hovel in the suburbs, and searched every field within a certain radius of the walls, but far and wide, the word had spread of his desertion and of the juicy reward that awaited anyone that turned him in, dead or alive. The odds of running into a pair of merchants whom he had saved from Sklavenoi raiders a few months earlier, and perhaps their ignorance of the promised prize, had been the most implausible of all. But God had made it happen, and they had been crucial in securing his exit from the town, shortly before the gates were shut. Shortly after, parting ways with his companions, lest their amiability turned sour, he had hidden in the woods to the north, and had theorized on the possibility of returning to the camp and rallying the men, but abandoned the idea once the realization of how precarious the chances of success would be, with the purges and infiltration carried out by the scholarians having had time to yield their nefarious results.

Then there were the Avars. Considering them a slightly better alternative, he had continued to make his way north avoiding major roads, and finally crossed the Danube, having joined a Sklavenian band of robbers, after killing one of their members in a failed mugging. Out of the reach of Menander’s claws, he had proceeded to make his way from Pannonia, in an attempt to reach Bayan and offer him the chance to march south, “on behalf of Theodosius.” But this idea too had been cut short, when he made it past Sirmium. For he soon came to learn of Phocas’ deal with the Khaghan, which was common knowledge in the province; and from the obvious activity amongst the savages, it was apparent that the barbarian warlord had accepted. Undeterred, the former Comes turned to the only option he had left, and had returned to the only place where he hoped Phocas would not look, and he still had friends to turn to. Disguised as a monk and shaving his head and beard, he sneaked back into the Empire, and made it to Adrianople, whence he reestablished contact with the disgruntled demarch of the Prasinoi, Demetrios, who then secured his passage back to Constantinople.

The soft knock on the door cut abruptly through his reveries. One knock, two knocks, a pause, and three more knocks in quick succession. Yes, that’s it. He got up and grabbed the sword which had been resting by the doorstep, before asking aloud: “Who lives?”

“Phocas lives,” came the dull response from the other side.

Carefully, he opened the door halfway and saw three hooded figures standing in the dark. “They’re here alone, like we agreed. Where is my money?” inquired the one standing the closest, with a reptilian-like hiss.

Neither releasing the sword nor opening the door fully, he reached with his other hand for a small satchel than hung from his belt, and tossed it at the messenger, who extended his hands in eager anticipation. The clanging within upon his catching it, told of the bunch of silver coins. “Thank you, Kyrie!” exclaimed the now revealed shape of a slender young man, while stepping back rather clumsily. “Thank you!”

The other two individuals behind approached the door impetuously, and Priscus let them in. He shook hands with one while shutting the gate, knelt and kissed the other’s delicate fingers and sumptuous ring.

“Comes, it’s great you’ve finally made it!” exclaimed the man, lowering his covering.

“We have only Christ and the Theotokos to thank that it was so…anyway, how is everything proceeding?”

“He left last night,” answered the other guest, with a female, voice. “And he’s taking the icon of the Hodegetria with him.”

“Ahhh…” Priscus blurted out. “That explains the uproar from earlier this morning…”

“Precisely. The Patriarch Cyriacus had warned him not to take the icon, or else,” continued the older man.

“Demetrios, Phocas wouldn’t give a damn. He took it because he knows he needs all the help he can get to win the upcoming battle. Even if Bonosus didn’t turn, Theodosius is still bringing a sizeable force to the field.”

The demarch of the Greens nodded momentarily while clasping his hands, before continuing. “In any case, the leaders are all ready. The minute he leaves Nicomedia, the entire deme will be up in arms.”

“Good, good. Though we might want to wait a few additional days, just to make sure he’s made it far enough. Is Alexander still being left in charge?”

“He is” answered the woman, who having lowered her hood, revealed herself to be the Empress. “But that’s irrelevant; you can just corner him in the palace. The City can be taken with the support of the people alone.”

“By God Leontia! If we don’t cut off the viper’s head while we can, it’ll come back and bite us on the foot!” he exclaimed, somewhat agitated. “While the Prasinoi have the rest of the municipal troops tied up, I can sneak in with a small group and deal with the bastard!”

She bit her lower lip in frustration. Damn, he thought. “I’m sorry but it needs to be done. We can only have the element of surprise at the beginning, and then it’s gone” he consoled her, softening his tone “…and if he gets away, he can run to Phocas…or Comentiolus.”

Attempting to get the conversation back on track, Demetrios cleared his throat, and coughed once, before presenting a few other ideas for the upcoming uprising. The chat took well over an hour, before it was ended when the demarch handed him a couple of scrolls that he had brought in a leather bag hidden under his cloak. “The planned bottlenecks are pinpointed in red. Check them, make amendments, and we’ll touch base again tomorrow.”

“Thank you,” Priscus answered, receiving the maps.

Content, Demetrios turned next to Leontia. “Augusta, should we go?”

“No, you go ahead. I’ll stay a little while; I can get home just fine.”

The old man glanced at him with concern, but the Comes assented faintly. “I’ll make sure she gets home safely. Don’t worry.”

Unconvinced, the demarch tried again. “You do know that Alexander will not leave a stone unturned in all of Thrace if there’s anything that he thinks is amiss, right?”

Grinning slightly, Priscus waved his worries away. “I said I’d make sure she got home safe. She’ll be there tonight.”

Huffing, the Demetrios showed that he would not give in. “Listen Priscus, we can’t fuck this up now.” He raised his hand and made a gesture, emphasizing his next point. “We are this close, this close, to doing this right. And after what happened to Gennadios, Theodorus, and Constantina, I’m no mood to have my neck on the line for your licentious urges!”

You dog
, Priscus thought, as the smirk on his face vanished. “You will take that back right this minute!” he snarled, grabbing him by the collar. “You will take it back!”

“Stop! He’s right!” intervened Leontia, clinging to his outstretched arm. “Let him go!”

Whatever
. He let go of his clothing, while he warned him, “Don’t you ever say shit like that again! Did you hear me?”

With a clear air of disgust, the demarch took his leave, as he straightened his clothing. “I’ll be waiting outside. Tomorrow’s meeting is at Anthimos’, by the Church of Hagia Barbara; I hope you’ve cooled your spirits by then.”

And for a moment, he was alone with Leontia, who was cutting her beautiful eyes at him.

“Why are you nitpicking?” she questioned him, furious. “It’s not his fault you almost died out there in the wild! It’s not his fault Phocas is who he is! It’s not his fault we’ve found ourselves in this mess!”

Taking a deep breath, he just kept silent.

“You know I was worried to death about you!” she finally said, still upset, but stretching her arms out to him. He hugged her tightly in kind, when a smile began to show on his face once more. God, I missed you.

“You know, that out there in the barbaricum the only thought that kept me going was that of you. And the only thing that I wanted more than anything was to be back here, in your arms, again,” he told her softly, caressing her hair.

The secret relationship with Leontia had come about rather unexpectedly. Perhaps her husband’s neglect, as he descended into alcoholism and paranoia, had pushed her away, and towards her former son-in-law, who remained close enough as a member of the Imperial family. Priscus himself could not quite place his finger on the exact moment that it all first happened, since the “love” for his own wife had always been absent: from the beginning he had found Domentziola unattractive, and practically considered her a child. Nevertheless, the only certainty was that, by the time he had left for the border, the affair between him and his mother-in-law was in full swing. And now, the Empress was one more of the active plotters dedicated to bringing about Phocas’ downfall.

“Can’t wait for all of this to be over,” she mumbled, with her face close to his chest.

“Don’t worry, when Theodosius gets here, we can retire in peace. We’ll go anywhere…” he promised her, still in a soft voice. “Anywhere, you like.” Anywhere but here.

And the truth was that he was nearing the end of the rope; he was tired. For over thirty years he had lived and fought as a soldier of Rome, with varying degrees of success, until fate had tossed him into the whirlwind of intestine warfare the likes of which had not been seen since the days of the Great Constantine. He had tasted the pinnacle of success being next in line to the throne, and the depths of misery sleeping on the mud floors of the northern wilderness. And now he was drained, exhausted, and fatigued; sick of the plotting, the secrecy, and of war. Yet here within reach, once a formal dispensation had been secured from the Church and the rightful Emperor, was a chance of settling down and living in peace the rest of his days with something he had lacked since his days as a child: a family.

Finally

My gut tells me you're alluding that Theodosious is dead, I wonder what kind of shit storm will happen if both Emperors are dead.

We are nearing the end of this civil war. That's all I'll say on the matter. ;)

Given how all their hopes are portrayed, I'm willing to bet the uprising is going to fail. tv tropes and all that...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retirony
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FatalFamilyPhoto
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IfWeGetThroughThis

Once again, I commend you for an extremely well written and engaging story. Keep it up!

Thank you much!

Another conspiracy attempt, x times the charm?

Hey, after all they're Byzantines, right?

Interesting little chapter here. Phocas will no doubt treat Leontia savagely should he return from Asia, but a part of me has my doubts whether he will come back at all. The approaching end of the civil war is interesting too, and suggests that, if Theodosius really is dead, the Maurician regime in Italy will bide its time for a while. Which, in turn, suggests to me that Theodosius is alive.

As ever, really excited for the next update!

Anniversary Update!

Thanks to all loyal readers, casual commentators, and silent lurkers! Here's to another year of intrigue, battles, and whatever else!!!

Chapter 11 -IV-

“How dare the goddamn rabble! How dare the filthy dogs!” Phocas bellowed, as he pounded a fist vigorously on the table, making the half empty wine cup fall off the side, to the ground below. With the scar on his face purple again, he kicked the soldier who brought the news angrily on his side, while the man was still on the ground, prostrated. The warrior withstood the blow with stoic silence. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck it! The bastards betrayed me. I knew it…I knew they would…

“Kyrie, we are ready to depart; the scouts have returned, and there are enemy themata advancing toward us” he heard off to his side. Glancing in the direction of the voice, he saw a young tribune standing at attention by the tent’s entrance, lifting his gaze hurriedly from the man on the ground.

I will slaughter them all
. Everyone last one of the treacherous bastards. “Let’s go” he replied snippily, before adding, “bring my horse!”

The war that had afflicted the Roman Empire for four years had reached its climax. He had marched with the majority of the European forces into the Anatolian provinces, a march which had lasted for a full two weeks; but he had arrived to his destination at last. Here, by the banks of the Halys, he was now presented with the opportunity to end the fruitless struggle by the reactionaries and bring the heathen Persians to heel afterwards. The upsetting news of the ongoing tumults in Constantinople would not change this; he could always return victorious and his feeble enemies would scatter, like the vermin they truly were. The bitter aftertaste left in his mouth by the perfidy would have to go away. He was on the verge of finishing all of his enemies: Theodosius and his minions, to be followed by Shahin and his devil-worshipping host.

Exiting the Imperial pavilion, he mounted his horse, accompanied by Valens, a Thracian like himself, and his new Comes Orientis. Looking about the buzzing activity, he noticed the majority of tents had been packed, and the soldiers had deposited their belongings within the wooden walls at the center of the small camp. Briskly, he then rode forward, towards the head of the already marching column.

“Are the Excubitores in position, Valens?” he asked his companion, as they rushed ahead.

“Yes Domine. They left last night, and sent messengers early this morning confirming their position,” the general answered.

The plan they had put together the night before, had thus been set in motion. The Persians, as far as he knew, would not be participating, but it was only prudent to be cautious, hence the small detachments scattered about such as the Imperial guards. Theodosius would be lured into the field and Phocas’ forces would engage him. At a predetermined moment, the Imperial kataphraktoi would feign a retreat, forcing his enemies’ cavalry to pursue them. If all went well, so isolated from their allies, Theodosius’ mounts would be lured to one of the narrow paths into which an ambush had been carefully prepared, and crushed with giant boulders. And when the enemy army had been left with only infantry, Phocas would release his own mounted reserves, conveniently hidden back at camp, and sweep them off the field. Everything had been set then. Nonetheless, with the news arriving from The City, he was beside himself with rage, and all the more ready to gamble the success of the war in a single battle. Demetrios and his whores. Oh God Almighty, please just give me just enough life to see theirs extinguished!

They were not far off from the plain where the initial combat was supposed to take place. A few minutes later, he was there, as the first regiments had begun their deployment. In the distance, he could see the enemy soldiers already at their positions. To their right seemed to be the Visigoths, notorious for their irregular uniforms, the center held by some light cavalry, and to the left, a few Roman infantrymen. He strained his eyes, trying to distinguish, and possibly recognize, familiar faces amongst the Romans. But though unable to count, or identify anyone, he clearly noticed that this could not be all of Theodosius’ force. His spies had notified him of the landing of over fifteen thousand men in Cilicia; numbers which were then bolstered by the former Army of the East, when they betrayed him. Is something else going on? …Certainly.

“Recall the Excubitores immediately” he ordered. “Tell Lilius to rush his men back to the camp.”

The Comes, with a look of surprise on his face, was silent for an instant. Phocas only turned his head deliberately slowly to look at him, dead in the eyes, without a sound. Don’t fuck with me now Valens.

“Right away Domine!” blurted out the soldier, avoiding eye contact.He shouted something to some man on his left, who then turned his horse around, picking up speed as he left the scene.

Maybe someone from the camp tipped them off. Shit
. “We need to change the whole fucking plan. Theodosius knows what’s going on; what’s before us is clearly a token force!”

His general kept quiet for a brief moment. “Perhaps we can talk with the Goths, see if they will remain aloof from this whole issue…with some gold…” he started to suggest.

“That would never work” the Emperor concluded. He quickly realized he needed to make use of his cavalry, which was a formidable force of about twelve thousand horsemen. If the Maurician scum was attempting to surround him, then he had to secure the river crossings further down, as well as keeping a decent force back at the camp for his counterattack; hence the need to recall his bodyguards. In frustration, he ran a hand over his face.

“Recall half of the kataphraktoi from the base and send them south to guard the riverbank. Deploy the rest of the forces as planned, but no one under pain of death, is to move unless I say so,” he growled.

“Yes Domine!”

Valens gave the instructions, which were shouted down the chain of command. Attempting to distract his mind somewhat, Phocas decided to survey the terrain, with a heavy sigh. The salty shores of the Tatta [1] glistened softly in the distance, some four miles to the southwest; to the east, in front of him, down a gradual incline from the prominence where he was, lay the open plain that stretched all the way, down to the banks of the Halys; to the west, behind him, were the rugged passes through which one needed to travel to get from the camp to the field; and finally to the north, were even more jagged mountains, skirted by the meandering course of the nearby river.

Evaluating the possibilities, he outright knew his enemies would not attack from this direction; those who did not drown, would break their heads trying to scale the steep and rugged slopes. This left them two other options: a frontal charge through the field ahead, which he discarded as the enemy numbers were clearly lacking; or an attempt to outmaneuver him by marching around the lake to the south, and attacking the camp. But the time it would take to circumvent the large body of water, should they made it past the horsemen he was now deploying there, also made him suspicious. If anything, we can get the sideshow here over, and march south to find the rest.

The chilled winter wind blew some dry dust onto his face, making him narrow his eyes, and raise a hand slowly as cover. In the valley below, the largest part of his men were already expectant; their chaplains blessing their last moments on earth. Inspired by the martial display, he tried to think positively. If the rumors that he had picked up were true, and Bonosus’ attempt had truly ended Theodosius life, then the men opposing him would surely be demoralized, and willing, if not intimidated by his veteran force, to surrender. And after that, it was just a few formal beheadings, before turning on the eastern dogs. Or should I return to Constantinople to deal with the upstarts instead?

His indecisive musings were brusquely shattered, as the bellowing of trumpets made him turn his eyes to the Western force; apparently they wanted to parley. A small detachment of five men, under a lowered flag was approaching his lines. Maybe there was a chance that they would surrender after all; maybe the holy icon of the Hodegetria accompanying the army was already channeling the powers of Heaven on his behalf.

“Valens; go tell them that the only terms We will accept, are their unconditional surrender, and their handing of corpse of Theodosius over to me.”

The Imperial commander assented with a grave expression on his face, and rode forward, surrounded by a guard of ten men. Phocas fixed his eyes on the diminishing shapes as they neared center of the field, and talked. The back of his mouth tasted dry with anxiety; his tongue stuck to its niche in thick saliva. God, I still need a drink. “You there!” he called out, pointing at the nearest soldier by him. “Go fetch me some wine!” The man vacillated for a second at the abruptness of the request, before riding back to the camp hurriedly.

Could the gossiping about Leontia be true? If that son of a bitch is still alive…

But his eyes kept his mind from wandering any further. Below, he saw the parties separating and riding back to their lines, with the news of the conference. As the Comes, galloped back, breathing heavily with a defeated look, Phocas smirked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Caesar…they did not accept the terms…” the disappointed general informed him.

“Did you expect otherwise?”

“No, Imperator.”

“Let’s have a battle then. Sound the charge; hold the reserves. You will lead a cavalry assault on their right flank; I will do so on their left. Hit and run, but do not get bogged down understood? The rest of his men are still out there!”

“Yes Domine.”

With the Comes Orientis’ order repeated through the ranks, the trumpets blasted their calls across the valley, and the larger groups of comitatenses advanced forward slowly under a rain of arrows from the archers behind. The Goths and Romans on the opposing side, utilized their shields as bests they could to protect themselves from the enemy fire. Yet slowly, under the continuous torrent of missiles hitting the ground, or other intended objectives, the Romano-Gothic force began their own movements as well. The center, held by their light cavalry remained in place, far from the Imperial archers’ range. Nevertheless, the two wings of infantry started their slow trek forward. As the two armies came closer together and the archers stopped firing, a second trumpet, with different notes, was blown on the Imperial side, and Phocas’ men sped up their pace, charging at the enemy, the name of their leader ringing out from thousands of throats. Like two tidal waves, the legions crashed into each other; a few men flying overhead, others trampled underfoot.

As Phocas beheld the carnage atop his mount, the courier returned from the camp with a canteen cradled in an arm, which the Emperor quickly snatched away from him. Without wavering, he guzzled down as much as he could of the bitter drink, in plain view of his high command, before putting on his helmet; a real piece of art, made of silver with golden incrustations, and a vibrant red crest on top. Taking a second, and last, gulp of the delicious wine, he tossed the empty flask on the ground, and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

“Ride to your post Valens. I’ll see you in the field.”

[1] Lake Tuz in OTL Turkey.

Very nice update. Something makes me think there may be something wrong with that wine...

Agreed on that, I have wine paranoia for Phocas!

I particularly liked the touch of the Emperor describing his opponents as "reactionaries". This, together with the stuff you've already put in about him hating the aristocracy, really does make Phocas a relatable character: a proto social revolutionary, almost! I'm surprised that he's so involved with battle planning, although I suppose he is a military veteran.

Brilliant update as usual, and hope we see the next one soon! The long breaks are painful. ;)

Very nice update. Something makes me think there may be something wrong with that wine...

Agreed on that, I have wine paranoia for Phocas!

I particularly liked the touch of the Emperor describing his opponents as "reactionaries". This, together with the stuff you've already put in about him hating the aristocracy, really does make Phocas a relatable character: a proto social revolutionary, almost! I'm surprised that he's so involved with battle planning, although I suppose he is a military veteran.

Brilliant update as usual, and hope we see the next one soon! The long breaks are painful. ;)

Fear the vintage! :p

Epic update. Very much looking forward to what happens next!

Thank you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.