The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
An excellent update: this is just how I'd imagined things to go between Phokas and Praejecta!

Presumably the news of Bonosus' "defeat" is false information that's been sent to Phokas by his commander on the spot? Once again, I'm loving the fleshed out and human portrayal of Phokas as the man of the people who's in totally over his head.

The "defeat" is certain enough, as it was confirmed by Shahrbaraz himself when addressing Kardarigan. The extent of it however, and what remains of the Army of the East, will be important factors which will decide the battle for Anatolia.

Anyone else has any comments/questions/complaints?

Chapter 10 -III-

“It might be of interest to you also, that We have deemed it proper to bring your family into the Imperial House, by the marriage of your grandson Constantius and Our noble daughter Domentziola. “
Hmmm... Promising the same girl to two different husbands? No way THAT could go bad. Especially as the Apions will be broadcasting the news even if the Emperor doesn't, so the ?Avar? khan WILL hear about it....

Good enough. “We will be departing to vanquish the enemies of Rome and Christ in the next weeks, before Christmas. It will please Us greatly, if these affairs were settled, before We take our leave.”
Odd that he'd use Christmas, which was a very minor festival in the East.

Odd that he'd use Christmas, which was a very minor festival in the East.

Are you sure?

So far as I recall, Byzantine Christmas was as important a festival as modern Christmas is, although the main "action" took place in early January rather than late December. But that's "high Byzantium" of the tenth century, so if you've got some stuff about why this wasn't so for the late antique world I'd be interested to see it. :)

Phocas is banking, rather heavily, in his own ability to beat Shahin, and the fact that Bayan will be temporarily tied up in Italy, before they both race back to the Danube. He knows he cannot possibly keep the Apions quiet, but given the circumstances he does need their cooperation, at whatever the cost.

With regards to Christmas, I just threw that in there as a date reference (Dec 605) to give you all an idea of where we were at time wise.

well i still do, hate him that is. But then I am a fan of Maurice and his Strategikon, which is a fairly neat book, and his rule, which was one of the better ones for the empire for the time.

Are you sure?

So far as I recall, Byzantine Christmas was as important a festival as modern Christmas is, although the main "action" took place in early January rather than late December. But that's "high Byzantium" of the tenth century, so if you've got some stuff about why this wasn't so for the late antique world I'd be interested to see it. :)

1) Christmas as a celebration of Christ's birth was a Western invention, in part chosen to coopt/absorb various soltice celebrations from Saturnalia to Yule. Yes the Eastern church adopted it, but afaik it was always a more minor celebration.

2) as I understand it, the primarary Orthodox celebration of the Incarnation was Epiphany on Jan 6.

3) the whole matter is, of course, massively confused by some Orthodox churches clinging to the Julian calendar, so 'Ukrainian Christmas' was the day after our epiphany, when I was growing up. (Saskatchewan, where something on the order of a quarter of the population is of ukrainian descent)

The Sandman

Banned
Hmmm... Promising the same girl to two different husbands? No way THAT could go bad. Especially as the Apions will be broadcasting the news even if the Emperor doesn't, so the ?Avar? khan WILL hear about it....

Yeah, between that and the bit where the Balkans are a) the one bit of the Empire not as of yet ravaged by warfare and b) about to be denuded of troops in order to throw them at the Persians, I'm going to guess that the Avars are coming south.

Under the circumstances, would Constantinople be able to hold against them? Or would they have a decent chance of taking the City?

Under the circumstances, would Constantinople be able to hold against them? Or would they have a decent chance of taking the City?

I'm pretty sure Constantinople is safe, although in this TL, who knows. Crucially, I believe Phocas retains naval supremacy, and because of this I'd say the City is pretty much invulnerable to a barbarian army.

However, should Priscus or Theodosius (or, indeed, another Roman pretender) turn up with Phocas absent or presumed dead, then who's to say what could happen? Perhaps the gates would be opened to a popular Roman general at the head of an Avar army: and from there, perhaps things could go badly wrong for the Romans.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Avars appear: so far, they seem to have been watching and biding their time...

IIRC, the Avars at this time were in the process of societal change from more or less nomadic herders to the upper class of a multiethnic agricultural society, where a hodgepodge of tribes and remnants (Avar, Romanic, Hun, Slav, Gepid to name only the larger components) was boiled down to essentially 2 ethnicities, Avar for the leading class and Slav for the underclass, regardless of personal origins. The Maurician campaigns stripped away their nimbus of invincibility and the part of their warrior elite that is not needed to hold down their subject peoples is shrinking. OTL they spent themselves in the Balkan campaigns leading to the Siege of Constantinople 626, and were unable to keep hold of the peripheral regions of their Empire, not to mention the kind of invasions they mounted before. If they avoid that, their offensive potential is shrinking rapidly, but they'll keep more of their subject peoples in line.

Chapter 10 -IV-

After being led over the period of a week through the seemingly endless succession of brightly decorated chambers which followed the castle’s inner courtyard, Heraclius and Dioskoros had finally made it to their destination, deep in the heart of the Persian Kingdom. Though this “Saporkuast” [1] was actually a military fortress, the Persians had had the otherwise bare brick walls meticulously ornamented, as it was befitting for a temporary kingly residence. The martial overtones, however, were not lost on him. Instead of a royal palace, he chose a fort…

His companion seemed slightly uneasy, as his eyes constantly betrayed his edginess. “Are you all right?” he asked Dioskoros. The poor guy has seen too much in so little time.

“Yes, I’m fine Kouropalates,” he answered, breathing deeply.

“It’s not every day you get to meet the King of the Persians,” Heraclius added, with a casual smirk.

His friend replied with a grunt, as he turned to their assigned usher, and nodded. The eunuch tapped on the stone floor once with the silver rod he carried, signaling their arrival. The gargantuan twin golden doors of the northeastern tower were swung open by a team of twenty servants, and the Romans were directed into a vast domed chamber, whose walls were adorned with bas-reliefs of mythical creatures, and exuberant hunting scenes. Yet on all of the depictions, towering amongst men and beasts, rose the oversized figure of the Persian sovereign. Below, at the feet of lions and bulls arranged in neat rows, according to rank and station, stood in glowingly contrasting colors, the elites of the Sassanian realm; some sneering, some inspecting. And in the midst of it all, from the pinnacle to which a dozen paths of opulently embroidered carpets led to, and almost hidden behind a thick wall of burning incense, sat enthroned Chosroes Aparvez. The jewel-laden royal tiara which adorned his head, looked as heavy as it might actually have been, as it hung suspended by two golden chains extending from two short poles rising from behind the throne. There, and abruptly, all the demonic splendor and opulence of the heathen nation, shined before the two young westerners. Kyrie eleison, lead us not into temptation!

As Dioskoros, and Heraclius to a certain degree, were dazzled by the display, they were introduced in the language of Xerxes by an awaiting court official, and finally reacting, they both kneeled on the floor when signaled. “Rise, Romans” indicated the monarch, in flawless Greek. “Welcome to Eran.”

He cleared his throat as he stood up, waited for a brief moment for the rumbling murmurs to die down, and began. “Basileus, we have come in the name of Flavius Theodosius Augustus, Caesar and Autokrator of the Roman Empire. Our master has tasked us with bringing to you, the victorious news of his advancing arms, and to profusely thank you for the help you have given in the fight against the bestial usurper.”

“It was only proper for me to do so. To help my brother, with what I could; to avenge my father, with everything I had,” Chosroes answered softly, lifting his right hand slightly off the throne’s arm.

Heraclius continued. “In that same spirit of brotherly reciprocity, the Augustus has ordered me to present you the offerings which he wishes to repay your glorious arms with. Dioskore…”

Getting up, the diplomat brushed the dust off his garments, and began to present Theodosius’ peace proposal. On he went, about the exchange of territories, about the historical tradition of the sharing of Armenian custody, and the great effort that it represented for the Romans to relegate it to Persian control, to the giving of Dara, and the huge sums of gold that were to be delivered to him. The Copt demonstrated his eloquence, albeit with a certain zest that got to the point, a natural talent in his family from what Heraclius had learned, attempting to show the Sassanian what benefits might be won by the acceptance of each clause. Meanwhile, Chosroes listened in silence, as did the rest of the court.

Finally, about an hour later, when the presentation in all of its florid language had ended, the King at last spoke, with a query. “All of this has already been introduced to the Sharbaraz?”

He and Dioskoros replied in unison, “yes, Basileus.”

“What Theodosius proposes seems, on the face of it, highly appealing…”

But…?
he thought, sensing the ominous hesitancy. The whole mission could not have been this easy; had it been so, the Egyptian could have been sent alone. Heraclius’s purpose, beyond that of lending prestige to the delegation with the presence of a member of the Imperial staff, was to observe potential weaknesses in the Persian edifice, in case of a possible breakdown in the till now amiable relations. Theodosius had a genuine will to live up to his promises should the Persian ruler accept; but if the King of Kings, as he was addressed, would abandon his righteous cause and turn on the legitimate Roman Emperor, all bets were off.

“…yet, my brother offends me” Chosroes continued, leaning slightly to his left side. “Not only does he not recognize that his success is due to my power alone, punishing and subjugating the red haired barbarian, who also attempted to appease me with lands which are mine by birthright, and a few pieces of gold... but he also fails to realize that if I were a more ungrateful steward, I would negate to vacate Mesopotamia, Syria, Palestine and all of Armenia,”

He noticed the tension steadily rising in the room. Grins and looks were exchanged among the Oriental oddities arranged in the hall; between the eunuchs, and the generals, between the jesters, and the slaves, between the concubines and the magi. One wrong word and he was dead, along with Dioskoros and their expectant guards in the outer hall. Yet, it was almost with the corner of his eye, that Heraclius managed to discern one of those few, whose face seemed contorted by horror at what his leader had just declared, instead of delight. The lavish clothing indicated his noble birth, suggesting perhaps, a likely princely stock.

“Theodosius owes me much more than he’s offering at the moment. Tell him that I will only heed his words, when he addresses me properly as his superior. This, he will achieve by turning over all of Greater and Lesser Armenia to the borders of Cappadocia, which belongs to me by the right of conquest; and by giving me in marriage his sister Anastasia, along with all of Mesopotamia and northern Syria, with an access to the Inner Sea, as dowry for the impending wedding.”

No way in hell, delirious ass
, he thought, stunned. Chosroes had barely wasted any time in considering the proposals. Most certainly, he had already been briefed on them as they had been traveling to meet him, and his mind made up. But, he had to attempt to salvage the situation, so that least he could tell Theodosius that he did so, with a straight face. “Basileus, I please beg you to consider the fraternal link that exists between the House of Maurice and the House of Sassan. Certainly Maurice himself would not have deprived your realm of the Caspian provinces or driven it entirely from Armenia when…”

“Hold your tongue Roman dog! Your ‘lord’ is also to send a yearly tribute of 250,000 nomismata, 500,000 miliarenses, and a thousand war horses, for the next fifty years!”

“Father…” the young apparent-prince cut in, hesitantly.

Seconds of nervous silence mutated into minutes, as the Persian monarch attempted to direct his gaze at his impertinent son, while still maintaining the majesty of his post, under the circumstances. A dry look seemed enough to silence the boy. For the moment.

“Theodosius will officially turn over the control of lands which already belong to me within the month, and that is the end! Just as I have created him, I can destroy him! For I am greater than the crucified man before whom he kneels!”

Exchanging a cautious look with Dioskoros, Heraclius knew that their time was up. They had complied with their initial orders, and the meeting seemed to have outlived its purpose. His own mission now, was about to begin. “Basileus, I will relay your wishes to the Emperor” the Copt indicated, with an expressionless face, while bowing slightly.

“Your lordships, I beg you to please…” The increasingly louder voice came from the Chosroes’ only present detractor, his son, as he approached the Romans with quick sprints. “…wait. I, Kobad, crown prince of Eran, and non-Eran…”

“Arrest him at once!” thundered the raging voice of the teen’s father.

Whilst standing on the spot, the Kouropalates carefully stretched his left arm to hold Dioskoros back, while his right hand moved instinctively to grip the sword which hung from his belt. From all sides, guards sporting gilded armor fell upon their prince, who was brought down easily. Yet, the ensuing chaos that erupted in the royal presence only confirmed Heraclius’ suspicions.

Some of the women present wailed in horror at Kobad’s treatment, while a few of the younger courtiers rushed to their lord’s aid, punching, and kicking the soldiers; at the same time, even more sentries rushed to detain them. From above, as if trying to control the deteriorating embarrassment, the King turned red in fury, devolving into his maternal tongue, barking commands, and hurling curses.

But their way out from the now raging scuffle, turned out to be most unexpected. The same eunuch, who had ushered them in, had pulled on Dioskoros’ arm, who was now in turn, pulling on his own. He complied with their urging, and they quickly stepped out into the hallway, as the doors were hastily shut, to hide the humiliating episode from the foreigners. Once they had left the room and were surrounded by their surprised Roman guards, the Copt was the first to talk, as they rushed to leave the fortress. “That went along nicely didn’t it?”

“That’s an understatement…”

“It seems that we’re all stuck in a bind now…can we even make it out of Persia alive?”

“More than likely…I had heard that Chosroes was known to have a temper; which isn’t really surprising. But he’ll surely want Theodosius to know that ‘more’ is needed in order to secure peace, and has enough heads to chop off back there to keep him busy for a while…this lunatic needs to roll a few bad numbers, before he seriously thinks about returning to the negotiating table…but I’ve got a better idea. You leave for Jerusalem tonight. I’ll stay here with two of the men.”

Dioskoros Psimanobet gave him an incredulous look. “What for?”

“I think we just found the loaded dice we needed.”

excellent! good to see you back, and an very exciting update too, with Heraclius too, though i do wonder at the chance he's taking staying at court with such a erratic dude in charge. . .

excellent! good to see you back, and an very exciting update too, with Heraclius too, though i do wonder at the chance he's taking staying at court with such a erratic dude in charge. . .
Well, this is young Heraclius we're talking about here. The guy who led his armies deep into Iran in person and returned victorious; not the crippled incestuous old man of latter. Hopefully he can manage.
Great to see this back! This prince is the same one who revolted and put to death Chosroes and his brothers?
Yes, yes he is. IOTL when he overthrew his father he was in his late thirties (in 628.) ITTL, it's early 606, and he's just about sixteen still.

Great to see this back! Would you say that the Persians are doing better that OTL as of now? Without any dates it is hard to compare.

Great to see this back! Would you say that the Persians are doing better that OTL as of now? Without any dates it is hard to compare.
They're still ahead of OTL, with Syria, northern Palestine, Mesopotamia, all of Armenia, and parts of Cappadocia under their control, and it's only early 606. However, with Khosrau dropping the mask, resistance might stiffen from here on out.

Btw, I've thought about posting a recap at the end of Chapter 12, along with a map, sort of like the one at the end of Ch.6. Would anyone mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.