Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

there was discussion before Map of the Month about this kind of thing that discussion of entries and challenge could be in to be voting thread and add poll after entry period is over (so this could be possible)

You can't edit a thread to add a poll. It has to be created at the same time as the thread.

Krall

Banned
We could use poll now as discussion thread before voting (poll can be added later)

Eh? I did check at one point whether polls can be added to threads after they've been posted, and they couldn't. Has something changed?

Oh my. We really need to do something upbeat for #84. :)

That's why I suggested "Huamnity's Finest Hour" some time ago - since history isn't all about war and people getting killed.

I was hoping to get the roundels for MotF 82 and 83 done today, but I forgot and played video games instead. I am, however, going to announce the results of the voting for MotM 1!

cWlWNLD.png

Nanwe's entry for this round is a beautiful map showing Italy following an alternate 1848 Year of Revolution, which results in the creation of many Italian republics and their unification as a confederation.

You know how in the movie Space Jam the bad guys absorb the skills of numerous basketball players using a magical basketball? I have a list of people who - should I happen to come into possession of a similarly magical basketball - I would want to absorb the skills of. Nanwe is on that list.

So well done, Nanwe! I'm coming for you.

2L6zG2Q.png

Reagent's entry is another great map, showing Angola following its violent independence as a Portuguese minority-ruled state. I'm glad to see more maps of Africa like this one being made and entered, especially when they're of this quality! Apparently popular opinion agrees with me, as this entries popularity earned Reagent this Honourable Mention.​

New roundels should get made tomorrow, though I'm not sure if I'll have have time (Because of serious things - not video games) so no absolute promises. :eek:

You know how in the movie Space Jam the bad guys absorb the skills of numerous basketball players using a magical basketball? I have a list of people who - should I happen to come into possession of a similarly magical basketball - I would want to absorb the skills of. Nanwe is on that list.

You, sir, continue to get more awesome by the day.

Eh? I did check at one point whether polls can be added to threads after they've been posted, and they couldn't. Has something changed?

I made a thread at help and feedback forum (without poll ofcourse)
and in the thread tools I saw "Add poll to this thread" it's just bellow subscribe to this thread button so I tested it out and it worked. You must try it out at test forum.

Krall

Banned
You, sir, continue to get more awesome by the day.

Glad you liked it! :D

I made a thread at help and feedback forum (without poll ofcourse)
and in the thread tools I saw "Add poll to this thread" it's just bellow subscribe to this thread button so I tested it out and it worked. You must try it out at test forum.

I just tried it - and it does indeed work! I'm not sure how long after first posting the thread you can add a poll to it, though. I'd guess a month, since that's how long you have to edit posts, but I'm not sure. Asking a mod might be in order.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! :D I had tried doing that exact thing some time ago, but I assumed that if you could add a poll to an existing thread it would be through editing the initial post.

Krall

Banned
The roundel for MotF 82 is done, at long last. I went with the idea of Alexander dying in bed and dropping/tearing a map of his empire. Not sure if the map itself is that recognisable, distorted and simplified as it is, but I hope it gets the idea across. :eek:

attachment.php

The roundel for MotF 82 is done, at long last. I went with the idea of Alexander dying in bed and dropping/tearing a map of his empire. Not sure if the map itself is that recognisable, distorted and simplified as it is, but I hope it gets the idea across. :eek:
attachment.php

this map is recognisable to my

Nanwe's entry for this round is a beautiful map showing Italy following an alternate 1848 Year of Revolution, which results in the creation of many Italian republics and their unification as a confederation.

You are too flattering :pBut sure, thanks to all who voted for my map. However, I won't participate in Motf 83, sadly I'm just too busy moving into my new house.

Krall, your MotF roundels are beyond what I kind do, so I'd steal your abilities too.

Krall

Banned
You are too flattering :pBut sure, thanks to all who voted for my map. However, I won't participate in Motf 83, sadly I'm just too busy moving into my new house.

Ah, pity. I hope you get moved in as soon and as smoothly as possible, so you can get back to what's important (making maps for the internet). :p

Krall, your MotF roundels are beyond what I kind do, so I'd steal your abilities too.

Oh, you! :eek:

It's honestly not difficult at all - most of it is traced directly off of images I find on the internet. The only bits in the MotF 82 roundel that I didn't trace were the curtain and the map, and I only drew the curtain so I wouldn't have to trace some bits on the right!

As one of only three contestants of the current MoTF, I think the end result is already clear and it would be acceptable to move on early. I don't know if there's precedent on this, but I'd like to see what the other contestants think.

I hope I could finish my map tomorrow (edit: no, but maybe in Sunday), you can see my work in progress at last post of my storage thread (open svg file in inkscape and remove the backround map to see what I have made).

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
As one of only three contestants of the current MoTF, I think the end result is already clear and it would be acceptable to move on early. I don't know if there's precedent on this, but I'd like to see what the other contestants think.

What do you mean by "Move on early"? :confused: