Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
I have a qestion, does the map have to show a famous/influential person (AH or real), or can it show the AH travels of a common person?

The challenge doesn't say anything about the fame of the person/group of persons, and I interpret challenges to allow for the vaguest possible interpretation provided it remains within the spirit of the challenge. So yes, showing the travels of a filthy peasa- uh, common person is allowed. :)

Since the rule is new, I will note that questions like this can go in the entry/discussion threads too, as discussion about the challenge itself is allowed. You can still post questions in here or PM if you'd rather do that, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to clarify the rules a bit.

Here's an idea based off the topic of another forum:

Take a Chance on Me.
Recreate the map for the board game Risk in an alternate timeline.
(We'll see if every suggestion I make for an MotF contest has the name of a song for a title, yes?)

Krall

Banned
Take a Chance on Me.
Recreate the map for the board game Risk in an alternate timeline.
That seems a bit too specific, but making board game maps is a very interesting idea.

Agreed - a challenge for board game maps would be awesome, but specifying "Risk" is too narrow. Perhaps something like this would be better?

Take a Chance on Me

Make a map that is used for an alternate board game.

Metal is universal? So is disco.

Then perhaps a different ABBA song would be more appropriate for a title:

The Name of the Game

Krall

Banned
I would be very interested in the board game challenge :D.

Please include the emboldened title of the challenge(s) you approve of/are talking about in your post - it makes it a lot easier to see which ones are popular and which are not. :p

Seconded.:D

Obscure in-joke ahoy!

So, just to confirm: The Name of the Game/Take a Chance on Me (depending on which title we're using).

I think we'll be using "The Name of the Game", provided that challenge is chosen and unless there are any objections.

Also, the voting for MotF 76 is over! But I'm too lazy/busy/tired right now to formulate a full announcement right now, so it'll be up sometime tomorrow instead!

Krall

Banned
As previously stated, the voting for MotF 76 is over!

33TXVQ5.png

Our winner for this round is a complete newcomer - indeed, their entry was their first post on the forum! Hiiragi's entry depicts an impressively multiethnic alternate Tasmania (or Vandiemmensland, as it is here). Originally a Dutch colony, the island grew in population and diversity as Japanese Kirishitan settled there following their persecution by the Shogun, and Indonesians fled there after the Netherlands' other possessions in the East Indies were captured by Britain and Portugal.

Hiiragi's map is detailed, showing roads, cities, and national parks, and is definitely well-made - especially considering it's their first! It took me months, maybe years to get this good! All things considered, this is a thoroughly deserved victory. Well done!

grqfOZL.png

Awarded for Impressive First Appearance

We continue the trend of newcomers with lock. Though they've been active in the Main Thread this is the first time lock's entered in the contest itself. Their entry depicts the German settlement of the North-East coast of North America, covering parts of New England, Atlantic Canada, and Quebec. Clean, clear, detailed; the quality of production and design in this map is amazing for someone's first entry, easily earning lock this Honuorable Mention.

6d5BQ1B.png

Awarded for Impressive First Appearance

It's the March of the Newbs this round, as our third and final award goes to newcomer WeissRaben! This entry depicts what might've happened if Gian Galeazzo Visconti hadn't died in 1402. The Visconti-dominated Kingdom of Lombardy stretches over northern Italy, with Venice the only remaining outpost of opposition to their meteoric rise. Detailed and well-made, with an interesting yet simple premise? That gets you an Honourable Mention. Don't eat it all at once!​

Sorry if some of these descriptions are shorter than my usual tirades; I'm trying to reduce their length so they're easier to write and more likely to be read. I'm also going to announce why Honourable Mentions are awarded, as I generally have a distinct reason why I choose each one (impressive first entries, unconventional/experimental maps, getting a lot of votes but not winning, etc.) and I want the process of giving out these awards to be transparent, just in case of any accusations of unfair play. :)

Anyway, with MotF 76 business out of the way I think it's time to turn our collective attentions to MotF 77. Unfortunately the deadline is only a few days away, but we only have one entry! Given this, and the fact that a few people have stated that they have ideas but haven't entered, I'm willing to extend the round for a week to allow for a proper number of entries. What do you fellows think? Would you be more able to enter with an extra week?

Also, what do you think of the new rules on discussion - do you think the entries thread is too cluttered, or do you like the greater amount of discussion maps get now?

Last edited:
I'd like to do this one next...

The Empire under the Sun

Make a map showing the largest nation in the world at its largest extent. An empire in which the sun is always shining due to its enormity

...because I'd like to wait one cycle to give people some time to think of ideas for this one...

The Name of the Game

Please include the emboldened title of the challenge(s) you approve of/are talking about in your post - it makes it a lot easier to see which ones are popular and which are not. :p

My god, have I been gone for that long? I forgot how to MotF :(.

...because I'd like to wait one cycle to give people some time to think of ideas for this one...

But... that's not how Map of the Fortnight works :mad:! You're meant to have two weeks to work on the map, from the time it is announced to the time the competition closes. if you do what you are suggesting you're just giving people four weeks to work on the game map...

Our winner for this round is a complete newcomer - indeed, their entry was their first post on the forum! Hiiragi's entry depicts an impressively multiethnic alternate Tasmania (or Vandiemmensland, as it is here). Originally a Dutch colony, the island grew in population and diversity as Japanese Kirishitan settled their following their persecution by the Shogun, and Indonesians fled their after the Netherlands' other possessions in the East Indies were captured by Britain and Portugal.

Et tu, Brute?

But... that's not how Map of the Fortnight works :mad:! You're meant to have two weeks to work on the map, from the time it is announced to the time the competition closes. if you do what you are suggesting you're just giving people four weeks to work on the game map...

Well, I've already got an idea that I'll use if it's selected(;)) but still, that's only in the same way that I usually try and think about what I could do for various entries.

You're quite right that it's not really in the spirit to know the next topic a fortnight before it's posted.

Actually, I may be alone in this, but I think it's a good idea to run staggered four-week contests instead. It gives us more time to work on maps (something I for one badly need most of the time), while making sure that each round is different from the previous by preventing the same person to enter twice in a row. Of course, it wouldn't be MoF then, but it's still a good idea to me.

Krall

Banned
Et tu, Brute?

Goddammit; I was trying to remember to refer to Hiiragi as "they" instead of "he", as I don't know their gender, and ended up writing all "there"s as "their"s! Thanks for pointing that out.

My god, have I been gone for that long? I forgot how to MotF :(.

Ah, you've reverted to a state of noobishness in your absence. It's good that you came back when you did; any longer and you'd be asking us how to mine for fish and telling us you will "danec" for "gp".

People are allowed to think of ideas for entries for challenges that haven't been confirmed yet, as well as plan out their support for different challenges so they have longer to think of ideas for them. You're right that you can't decide on a challenge in advance like that, though. :)

Krall

Banned
Given the number of people who have said that they could enter with an extension and the small number of entries we already have, I'm going to extend MotF 77 by a week.

MotF 77: On the Road Again has been extended. The new deadline is Saturday the 13th of April.​