Columbia rescue - save the space shuttle !

Hate to be a pedant, but I have to wonder what kind of pressure vessel they're storing the letters, cookies, and veggies in--that kind of thing doesn't take well to hard vacuum, and Eureca to the best of my knowledge (admittedly limited on this matter) Eureca had no pressurized storage volumes.
That really doesn't bother me; put them in a lightweight tank, close the tank, bolt tank to frame, end of problem. Maybe the cookies get melted, and veggies roasted, by solar heating though.:eek:

I wish you'd be a pendant instead about the stuff I've been worried about. The whole question of whether Columbia's fuel cells could have been renewed is mooted by Archibald's choice not to bother with the hydrogen tank. Then we fall back on the question--OK, just how many days beyond February 14 could Columbia's original fuel cell tanks have been expected to last, given they've powered down to minimum consumption rates?

If it's as few as I'd guess--one or two, if that--Columbia's in big trouble and NASA's Blue Team goofed up big time.

I quite agree Archibald should have gone with the biggest payload possible, with the Intelsat in fact, and I still think a lot more tonnage than just one could have been delivered by Eureca too.

I figure you know a lot more about this stuff than me and have been waiting with bated breath for your input on the whole power situation. How hard would it have been to replace the old tanks with new ones? How difficult would it have been to patch in loose tanks into the fuel cell feed lines? How badly is new reactant needed, how soon? If the tanks run out, could either Intelsat or Eureca's solar cells deliver power at the necessary voltage, and just how could the crew survive, how long, on no power at all?

These are things I hoped you'd respond to, e of pi, and get truth is life to weigh in on too if he happened to know more about them.

At this point it's reduced to a simple question--how long will the power they have last them now?

I wish you'd be a pendant instead about the stuff I've been worried about. The whole question of whether Columbia's fuel cells could have been renewed is mooted by Archibald's choice not to bother with the hydrogen tank. Then we fall back on the question--OK, just how many days beyond February 14 could Columbia's original fuel cell tanks have been expected to last, given they've powered down to minimum consumption rates?

<Snip>

At this point it's reduced to a simple question--how long will the power they have last them now?

There's some decent info here. It doesn't say how long they would last in a given mission, but it does say how much H2 and O2 they consume at 220 Amps. With that, it is possible to calculate the expected maximum time they can last on Columbia.

That really doesn't bother me; put them in a lightweight tank, close the tank, bolt tank to frame, end of problem. Maybe the cookies get melted, and veggies roasted, by solar heating though.:eek:
More apt to be frozen, really. I have a vague memory that equilibrium temperature of a tank in LEO is something close to LOX's storage temperature, so about -190 C. The cookies might be a bit chilly! :eek:

As for the Shuttle endurance...I know less about it than I might, considering by the time I started to really get into spaceflight in the kind of technical detail you're asking about, Shuttle was on its way to retirement. However, what I do know is that the fuel cell stack and associated tanks were located in the space between the bottom of the payload bay and the belly of the orbiter. You're talking about really getting into the guts to get to those:

s_s22_20118202.jpg

So, yeah, getting at the main tanks is pretty much out of the question. The one thing that is beneficial is that Columbia was carrying the EDO (Extended Duration Orbiter) pallet, as seen here, which was a set of additional tanks to enable the 16-day flights that they were doing. It was located at the aft end of the payload bay:

EDO_pallet.jpg

That might be an easier place to tap the lines if they were going to--but I'm not convinced it's doable on-orbit. As far as how long Columbia has...16 days at nominal power is the capability of the orbiter with the EDO pallet. They don't power down in Archibald's TL until Flight Day 5, and are at 9.4 kW from then on. Nominal power draw was 21 kW, so that means they have 2.2x the duration that they otherwise would have had. So, doing a little rough math, 4 days at full power leaves the equivalent of 12 days at full power left, which then translates to 26.8 days at 9.4 kW. So the power will run out on Flight Day...31. February 14. Convenient, so they'll suffocate, starve, and run out of power all on the same day...I don't know if it's possible to patch in the solar arrays of Eureca or Intelsat into the Orbiter's systems, but it seems like they have to try unless Atlantis can be on-orbit by Feb 14--otherwise they'll be stuck seeing how well the wing patch holds. :eek: Given that the EDO gave about 5 days extra duration at nominal 21 kW from about 1584 kg of cryogens (11 days at 9.4 kW) stored in 1600 kg of tanks, I'm not sure it's practical at all to try and ship up more fuel cell reactants on Eureca's mere 1 ton--and if you can't, then shipping food and LiOH filters is rather pointless, since you'll be out of power. If only you had more mass...

More apt to be frozen, really. I have a vague memory that equilibrium temperature of a tank in LEO is something close to LOX's storage temperature, so about -190 C. The cookies might be a bit chilly! :eek:
Reading Lost Moon and remembering that Ron Howard's movie got that technical detail right (the astronauts were freezing, not roasting--there were other details Lovell, in the DVD commentary, pointed out were wrong but on the whole Howard tried to get it right, with Lovell's personal technical assistance) of course this is correct, unless the transit time is just too fast for them to chill down much. I really don't understand why this is; sunlight is generally shining on everything in orbit, with night shadow being less than half the time, whereas radiation of heat is not as good at removing heat as physical contact bringing about conduction and convection. The sunlight is brighter than anything we ever see on Earth even in a bone-dry desert at summer high noon; everything ought to get good and hot and need to be hot to radiate away the incoming heat, whereas when it is in shadow the cooling should slow down a lot as it gets colder.

And yet there they were, Lovell, Haise and Swiggert, shivering away in their powered down Apollo even though they were good and far from Earth most of the time and hardly ever in shadow. Weird, but apparently true.

Clearly you mention LEO because it would be even chillier, with everything being in darkness half the time.
... However, what I do know is that the fuel cell stack and associated tanks were located in the space between the bottom of the payload bay and the belly of the orbiter.
I got that from the NSTS 1988 News Reference Manual...
You're talking about really getting into the guts to get to those...

So, yeah, getting at the main tanks is pretty much out of the question.
But the verbal description did not make it clear how difficult it would be! :eek:

Considering that the manual said that not all missions would even require 3 pairs of tanks and they therefore could be removed or added as needed I guess I figured they'd make it easy on themselves and just have a swing-back panel behind which the tanks were secured with a few easily loosened brackets--six turns of the wrench, swing the old tanks out, snap the new ones in, check the gas line connections, put back the retainers and tighten the bolts and there you are. Evidently not.:rolleyes:
The one thing that is beneficial is that Columbia was carrying the EDO (Extended Duration Orbiter) pallet, as seen here, which was a set of additional tanks to enable the 16-day flights that they were doing. ...That might be an easier place to tap the lines if they were going to--but I'm not convinced it's doable on-orbit. As far as how long Columbia has...16 days at nominal power is the capability of the orbiter with the EDO pallet. They don't power down in Archibald's TL until Flight Day 5, and are at 9.4 kW from then on. Nominal power draw was 21 kW, so that means they have 2.2x the duration that they otherwise would have had. So, doing a little rough math, 4 days at full power leaves the equivalent of 12 days at full power left, which then translates to 26.8 days at 9.4 kW. So the power will run out on Flight Day...31. February 14. Convenient, so they'll suffocate, starve, and run out of power all on the same day...I don't know if it's possible to patch in the solar arrays of Eureca or Intelsat into the Orbiter's systems, but it seems like they have to try unless Atlantis can be on-orbit by Feb 14--otherwise they'll be stuck seeing how well the wing patch holds. :eek: Given that the EDO gave about 5 days extra duration at nominal 21 kW from about 1584 kg of cryogens (11 days at 9.4 kW) stored in 1600 kg of tanks, I'm not sure it's practical at all to try and ship up more fuel cell reactants on Eureca's mere 1 ton--and if you can't, then shipping food and LiOH filters is rather pointless, since you'll be out of power. If only you had more mass...

I was afraid the numbers would work out like that, and I wasn't even aware that the EDO was involved.

If they can't feed new reactants in at the EDO junction, then in addition to reactants they'd have to ship up two new fuel cells (and that assumes that the electrical lines can be patched into, which might be no easier than patching in the gas lines). Two, because one cell maxes at 7 kw sustained whereas they need 9.4.

I did dredge up what a standard oxy and hydrogen tank mass upthread. 717 kg for a single pair of standard tanks. I guess that's about enough for 4-5 days at 9.4 KW.

OTOH--it's kind of suspicious that the power runs out just when the LiOH canisters were expected to. It makes me think that perhaps 9.4 KW was not the absolute bare minimum power needed to run the ship after all, but rather a compromise designed to last just long enough for Atlantis to get there. Which implies they could have been saving even more power and stretching the tanks longer; it would mean less water per day but I think they were well above the minimums there. Clearly if that's the case the more extreme power-down should have been ordered much earlier, at the latest when Atlantis's launch schedule slipped.

So a single pair of tanks, massing most of Archibald's decreed one tonne limit, might last them considerably longer, especially if they'd been saving more power in the interim month. Say the tanks add a week, to another week added by prior power savings, the canisters to last two weeks could fill out the load. No room for cookies!

Or as you say--alas that it's just one tonne, and why is it so limited when the rocket could launch 7 of them? I assumed of course Eureca was the only game in town, or Archibald would not be wishing it on us, but it never made sense to me its cargo load would be so very limited. The Intelsat does indeed look like it might have been better--if you say so; I never imagined that a comsat could be converted into a cargo bus, I figured it would be an integral mass of microelectronics with a minimal engine and fuel stuck on.

With several tonnes, the air and power supply could clearly be stretched out for weeks, weeks that apparently might be needed.

Two new fuel cells, designed to be accessible, would mass another quarter tonne, but if we can get well beyond a measly single tonne, they are clearly doable. Send up two tonnes, in the form of two pairs of tanks (1434 kg) and a couple of spare fuel cells (300 kg, with cables and hoses for the water and such) and we still have a couple hundred kg for cookies, veggies, letters etc. Oh and the LiOH canisters, sorry about the cookies but with all this they can live another couple weeks.

It is still true that Columbia has avoided the need to use up orbital maneuvering propellant to chase Eureca down. If someone can find another rocket and lash together another cargo bus, Columbia still has those reserves to go get it.

But, since the load up on Archibald's canon Eureca did not include another hydrogen tank (and those are much less massive than oxygen tanks, so I have to cry, "why, God, why?":eek:) the power is about to go out, long before another rocket could reach them if it was sitting on the pad ready to go this very minute!

I really hate to call for a retcon, Archibald, but then that's why I've been harping on the power situation for the past couple weeks, so that you wouldn't have to. Now we know, and had the information to figure out some time ago--we needed to verify that they couldn't cut the power draw down more and I strongly suspect they might have; we know that some supplemental power supply had to go up (bearing in mind e of pi's reservations about being able to patch new tanks in even at the EDO, but it looks open to me and there has to be some intakes in the main ship structure to pipe the EDO's supplied gases over to the cells, so I'd think just patch the new tanks in there) and that being limited to a tonne was as futile as it looked to me when you first mentioned it and I protested. Maybe it could have been done under a tonne, buying them half a week anyway. Without the hydrogen tank it's hopeless though!

They look bloody well doomed right now, unless you've got an unmentioned rabbit to pull out of your hat.

Please say it's so, or edit something somewhere. Cut the power draw they've been drawing the past few weeks, that would be easiest. But there must be some minimum below which crucial systems can't work and might not come back from. Include a hydrogen tank in the tonne; make it more than a tonne.

That or the unimagined rabbit--please?:(

Archibald

Banned
Flight day 26
February 10, 2003
Around the world people are just beginning an evaluation of the consequences of Columbia rescue. Although a secondary concern against the survival of the crew, it has to be noted the mission might led to serious debris threat. Following the crippled orbiter in orbit are currently a derelict Spacehab, the Freestar truss with its disabled experiments, and of course Ariane H-10 third stage. It should be reminded that in 1986 the first Spot launch had the H-10 exploding into orbit; very ironically ten years later a debris shot the French Cerise ELINT military satellite. The H-10, Freestar and Spacehab are going to re-enter Earth atmosphere soon and in a rather uncontrollable way...”

Flight day 27
February 11 2003
A discrete meeting of NASA top brass was held at the space agency Headquarters in Washington.
The mood around the table was definitively mixed.
Sean O'Keefe exposed a dismal situation.
"Surely, we have ensured survival of the astronauts, and that's paramount. Yet over the last hours more difficulties have been cropping up, notably around Atlantis. There are voices from all over the agency suggesting to relax Atlantis launch date if only because it will fly with Columbia foam issue unresolved. Space shuttle don't like rushed schedules - we learned that lesson in blood with the Challenger disaster.
"We are also taking a lot of flak over debris issues, notably Spacehab and Freestar reentry. And that's only a beginning: sooner or later Eureca and the Columbia wreck will also reenter. Some say Atlantis should do something about it since it will carry a robotic arm. But Columbia astronauts will be extremely weakened by a month spend in terrible conditions in space, so Atlantis will have to bring them back as soon as possible. Could Atlantis spent one more day in orbit to try and clean some of that mess ? What to do with Eureca and Columbia ? I'm awaiting your suggestions."

Flight day 28
February 12 2003

"Valentine day in space ?
Details of Atlantis rescue mission have been leaked by NASA. The launch date already slipped by some days after the failure of one of Atlantis five General Purpose Computers.
Latest news from the Columbia crew, however, are encouraging. Commander Rick Husband said he prefered Atlantis not to be rushed too much. "The risk of asphyxia is now definitively over and we never lacked any other form of supplies. In concertation with my crew we decided we can wait some more days, perhaps to the end of February if necessary. We are enjoying the view. David and Michael are trying to jury-rigg Eureca solar array and electrical system to provide us with more power."

It remains to be seen whether Columbia and Atlantis will spent Valentine day together in space..."

Archibald

Banned
And now a bit of ATL culture.

Flight day 29
February 13, 2003
The Hollywood studios, California

"I was quite sure you would love the ongoing space drama. After all it a mix of Cast Away and Apollo 13, isn't it ?"
"Indeed. Let's the dust settle first and then we will draft a screenplay. We are lucky Clint Eastwood never makes sequels to his films - no Space Cowboys 2."
"As for Michael Bay, he prefers destroying shuttles rather than save them." Tom Hanks noted dryly.
Tom Hanks and Ron Howard braced themselves for their third space show in a row after Apollo 13 and From the Earth to the Moon.
"Anyway, what a drama. Reality playing a remake of that old movie - Marooned. What scenarist could have imagined that ? Reality bet sci-fi hands down. How about that."
Hanks dug out a list of his pocket
"This is the cast I would like to see attached to the project."
Ron Howard glanced at the paper.

Tom Hanks himself as Rick Husband
Bryan Cranston as David Brown
Don Cheadle as Mike Anderson
Laura Innes as Linda Ham
John Aylward as Wayne Hale
and also :
Parminda Nagra as Kalpana Chawla;
Bill Paxton as William McCool;
Eric Bana as Ilan Ramon;
Paul McCrane as Don Curry.

"Tom, you are reasonning like NASA. I mean, most of that cast has a previous astronaut experience." Ron Howard smiled.
"Spot on. Laura Innes flew on Deep impact, Don Cheadle was a Mission to Mars crewmember. I also wanted Bryan Cranston aboard, since he already played both Gus Grissom and Buzz Aldrin for me - the former in That's things you do, the latter in From the Earth to the Moon."
"So I can see that you have a lot experience directing Cranston in astronaut roles." Howard laughed.
"You said it. As for John Aylward - you have to see him in E.R as Donald Anspaugh. Plus, he had a minor role as a NASA flight controller in Armaggedon. Interestingly Paul McCrane has a similar background - he plays another dreaded E.R doctor (Robert Romano), and I worked with him on From the Earth to the Moon. He was my Pete Conrad in the Apollo 12 episode."
"What's that bias with E.R ? From memory, Laura Innes played yet another unfriendly doctor in that show."
"It can be said that for a month NASA pretty much works like an emergency room. High stress, crucial decision involving life or death of vulnerable people, you see."
"Ok, you have a point there. I note that from my Apollo 13 you recruited yourself and Bill Paxton. Anyway - Parminda Nagra ? who's that girl ?"
"She is of Indian origin and had just a major breakthrough in a British comedy - Bend it like Beckham. She is as cute as Chawla herself, although much younger. And guess what ? she has just been recruited in a TV show..."
"Don't tell me. E.R once again. Do you intend to strip that serie of its whole cast ?"
"We will see. Let's discuss Eric Bana. You'll be shocked - he never played in a space movie before..."
"Nor in E.R"
"Nope." Hanks laughed "but in Ridley Scott 2001 Blackhawk down his character was named "Hoot" Gibson... which is also the name of a famous shuttle astronaut !"

6565551_std.jpg

Tom Lovell...

cranston%20aldrin-thumb-550x810-45640.jpg

Buzz Cranston

don-cheadle-mission-to-mars-signed-authentic-8x10-photo-psadna-m421331_66203864841972eb61bf9264d3ac3a1c.jpg

Don Cheadle

18894897.jpg

Bill Haise

mqdefault.jpg

Paul McConrad

parminder_nagra_m.jpg

laura_innes.jpg

11385163_ori.jpg

oakley-juliet-sunglasses-and-black-hawk-down-gallery.png

Flight day 30
February 14, 2003

"Atlantis rescue flight postponed - and hopefully improved.
NASA officially communicated the decision to postpone Atlantis flight by some days. Not only will the schedule eased, but improvements will be brought to the rescue mission in the light of recent developments."

Last edited:
Idea on debris. Get the spacewalkers to attach a small propellant pack and launch the objects toward earth, preferably near an ocean.

Shevek
The average temperature on earth is about 15°c / 60f. Thats with a fair bit of natural greenhouse gas warming. Thus the average temperature in space at earths distance is rather lower than that.

Archibald

Banned
Flight day 31
February 15, 2003

The United Nations general assembly, New York

"...this message comes to you today from an old country, France, from a continent like mine, Europe, that has known wars, occupation and barbarity. A country that does not forget and knows everything it owes to the freedom-fighters who came from America and elsewhere. And yet has never ceased to stand upright in the face of history and before mankind. Faithful to its values, it wishes resolutely to act with all the members of the international community. It believes in our ability to build together a better world.
In conclusion, I would like to briefly a address the subject of the ongoing space rescue mission. France, Europe and the United States are flying together in space. In January we did not vacillated for a second and made an Ariane available to our partners. Last week that rocket launched a German spaceship that some days ago and as a last resort provided American astronauts with fresh air to breath. This mission is proof of the vibrant friendship that remain between our two continents even in period of tensions. I wish NASA astronauts good luck and would like once again quote the title of a French newspaper in the aftermath of the 11 September attacks: C'est pourquoi, aujourd'hui, nous sommes tous américains - That's why today we are all Americans !

Thank you."

Aboard Columbia
The crew briefly celebrated its first month in space with fresh hope. Columbia systems still hold on, an incredible performance by itself. The crew savoured fresh meals brought by Eureca. When in January it had been obvious that the Columbia crew would be stranded up there for a long time, a team of NASA psychologists had obviously been put at work. Keeping crew morale high was paramount - there was not much room in the shuttle living quarters, that and the uncertain fate could led even the most disciplined astronaut to a nervous breakdown. Psychologists had insisted on the importance of public support and good meals.
Then one of the pyschologist heard of Freestar and the Get Away Specials it carried - the little, unexpensive pressurized canisters carried on each Shuttle flight since 1982, all 700 of them. The pyschologist suggested to used a handful of Get Away Specials as kind of orbital courrier - a space postal system.
The Public Affair Office bite the idea and launched a nation-wide, if not worldwide, call.
A hanfdul of Get Away Specials would be filled with personal messages of support and goodwill. A couple of other Get Away Specials would be loaded with some good meal.
At first the special GAS were to be carried by Atlantis but, when it become obvious Columbia sister would be late some of them were hijacked to Eureca.
The Get Away Specials only needed a minimal interface with their carriers (so that not to burden astronaut schedule too much - flick-a-switch, press-a-button, and the GAS will do the rest); they offered pressurized volume; and lastly, they were pretty small and light, only a handful of kilograms.

Around the world

"Huge crowds of anti-war demonstrators jammed into midtown New York on Saturday as protesters in dozens of U.S. cities joined large crowds worldwide in voicing opposition to war with Iraq. Demonstrators converged near the United Nations to protest the possible war in just one of the more than 600 anti-war rallies around the globe. Millions of people protested, in approximately 800 cities around the world - perhaps the largest protest in human history. Protests occurred among others in the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, the United States, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Syria, India, Russia, South Korea, Japan, and even McMurdo Station in Antarctica. Perhaps the largest demonstration this day occurred in London, with up to one million protestors gathering in Hyde Park; speakers included the Reverend Jesse Jackson, London mayor Ken Livingstone, and Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy. A large demonstration, also attended by perhaps around a million, took place in Barcelona.
In New York organizers estimated the crowd at more than 375,000, but Police Commissioner Ray Kelly estimated turnout at 100,000. Besides protests in large cities such as Chicago, Illinois; and Los Angeles, California; rallies were held across the United States in smaller towns such as Gainesville, Georgia; Macomb, Illinois; and Juneau, Alaska, according to the anti-war group United for Peace and Justice."
Hundred of thousands of people were marching, and protesting.
A minority turned their eyes skyward - praying for the handful of men and women stranded high there.

Archibald

Banned
Thank you. I followed every season of E.R - until the show totally jumped the shark and started killing their doctors at an alarming rate . Talk about self-destruction. Murder of Lucy Knight (a.k.a Kelly Martin) was a shock. I stopped watching soon thereafter. :D Just realized that 2003 correspond to the 7 or 8 season, the right time to stop the slaughter.

Next update soon.

Archibald

Banned
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 33[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 17, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Columbia[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Remy Zero[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif], [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Save me[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The Earth was an exquisite blue, with Florida spreading like a map below her eyes. Not a single cloud for hundred of miles - the level of detail was amazing. And then she spotted it - a thin, grey streak of smoke that billowed over the horizon, arcing toward the sky, with a remote spot of light on top of it.
She called for the rest of the crew
"I can see the launch, from there, with my naked eye !"
As other crewmembers gathered around Columbia cockpit windows Laurel Clark grabbed an Hasselblad and started shooting pictures.

launch_575.jpg

(OTL picture of Ariane 5 carrying an ATV to ISS... seen from the ISS)

Atlantis was coming !

Archibald

Banned
D-day !

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 34 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 18, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Atlantis [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aerosmith[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif],[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Cryin'[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

For all her professionalism Commander Eileen Collins had her heart beat faster. Columbia was now clearly visible, and Atlantis was closing in carefully.

_54135993_untitled-2copy.jpg

(Atlantis is coming - with Eureca solar array)

The ousting of Spacehab and Freestar had certainly resulted in surrounding debris, and NASA was taking no risk.
Before the rescue mission started the two shuttles would execute a complex space ballet, watching their respective bellies. Even if Atlantis had a robotic arm, nothing bet an external inspection when chasing foam impacts; the Columbia crew would graciously do that. As for Columbia itself, Atlantis precious robotic arm would make a thorough scanning of the impact zone. There was obviously a lot to learn.
Atlantis inspection was a relieve; the orbiter had aparently dodged foam bullets.
As for Columbia... the initial surprise was long gone, with Anderson pictures and CGI now familiar. Still, Atlantis would allow for a much better coverage.
Soichi Noguchi cautiously maneuvered the arm, filming Columbia wing leading edge underside. Anderson and Brown repair was clearly visible; bits of ASFRI hanged lose, otherwise the makeshift patch had so far resisted the emptiness and coldness of space.
Even after all the briefings; even after all those years of training and through all the layers of professionalism the Atlantis crew felt a pinch to the heart when looking at Columbia wing damage. There's no way they would have made it through re-entry.
Both crews braced for the next day and the most epic space rescue ever. It would be a long, long day...
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Almost there now. Just a whole load of other high-risk manoeuvres for the crews to conduct, but it looks like things are beginning to reach their conclusion.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 17, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Aboard Columbia[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Remy Zero[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif], [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Save me[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
The Earth was an exquisite blue, with Florida spreading like a map below her eyes. Not a single cloud for hundred of miles - the level of detail was amazing. And then she spotted it - a thin, grey streak of smoke that billowed over the horizon, arcing toward the sky, with a remote spot of light on top of it.
As other crewmembers gathered around Columbia cockpit windows Laurel Clark grabbed an Hasselblad and started shooting pictures.

launch_575.jpg

Atlantis was coming !

Crowning moment of awesome! Please don't have a tragic twist.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

launch_575.jpg

Atlantis was coming !

Crowning moment of awesome!

Archibald

Banned
A tragic twist ? no way.
Not after writing that history as an heroic epic (against, perhaps, utter and absolute realism)
I tend to be an optimist. :eek: