Columbia rescue - save the space shuttle !

Archibald

Banned
Goodbye Spacehab !

The next day, February 4, 2003 – Columbia Flight Day 20 – Anderson and Brown did a seven hour sortie outside that remained in the history books.

Once again they pushed boundaries – of their bodies, of what the shuttle and its payload could endure.

That day, Mike Anderson and David Brown thrown Spacehab out of the Columbia orbiter !

(music: The Jacksons, Can you feel it)

They crawled to the bottom of the payload bay and retrieved torque multiplier tools. With them they opened the big latches that fixed the habitat to the orbiter that carried it into orbit.
They had a brief thought for all the NASA and Spacehab workers that had care-taken the module on a warm day in Florida - only a month before, in a past now so far away !
They grabbed cutters and started butchering a host of electrical and water lines from which Columbia had fed and nourished the module it carried. They felt like David Bowman butchering HAL brain on the way to Jupiter, although fortunately Spacehab did not talked to them.

Then the time come to cut the umbilical cord – the tunnel adapter that ran from Columbia airlock to the module. There was a flexible joint there made of kevlar, cloth and wiring, and cutting that mess was not easy.

Even then, however, Spacehab refused to left Columbia for a simple reason: it did not had little rocket thrusters to pull himself away. It would be Columbia, under control of commander Rick Husband, that would literally back away, then flee out of the module reach.
Yet the module was so balky that Anderson and Brown had to help it outside, much like a pair of nurses helping a pregnant woman to give birth. Centimetre by centimetre the two astronauts pushed the cumbersome module out of the payload bay. The process however took so much time and they were so exhausted with their reserves dwindling down that in the end the astronauts literally kicked the module with their boots.

It was an eerie sight: a pair of astronauts strapped inside a shuttle payload bay and furiously kicking the ass of a 18 000 pound module !
After minutes of exhausting efforts Spacehab at least crossed the threshold of Columbia payload bay doors. With Anderson and Brown solidly tethered to the orbiter, commander Husband manoeuvred his crippled orbiter away from the abandoned Spacehab.
The rest of the crew gathered around the cockpit windows to watch, incredulously, Spacehab drifting away. Much like the dead Frank Poole becoming the first man to Saturn, Spacehab première would be a pyrrhic victory; soon the atmosphere would take his toll and it would tumble and burn - like Russian space station Mir two years before.

Spacehab_S107e05359.jpg

Auf wiedersehen Spacehab !

(this is a picture I fabricated myself - I found a picture of Spacehab in the shuttle payload bay, then I literally "erased" the shuttle bay behind Spacehab using MS Paint. Tedious job !)

At that very moment, and in a stunning revenge against NASA (and the shuttle) tortured history, Spacehab had become a space station on his own.

The next day, February 5, 2003 – Columbia Flight Day 21 – Anderson and Brown did another seven hour sortie outside. This time they got ride of the 4400 pound heavy Freestar, the big truss where Get Away Specials and Hitchhickers were bolted. It was an easier task than throwing Spacehab overboard.
Once again they had a brief thought for all the labs and universities students and researchers that had spent so much money, time and energy refining all the experiments now drifting away from Columbia to a certain destruction within Earth atmosphere.

Meanwhile down on Columbia flight deck, Kalpana Chawla frantically snapped photos of the abandoned Freestar.
The day before it had been Ilan Ramon that had taken pictures of the drifting Spacehab. Never, never in my life will I see something like this, she thought.

Archibald

Banned
No idea ! But they are certainly exhausted.

The hare-brained concept of tossing Spacehab overboard was examined in this document that can be found there

The document also include a detailed list of everything that could be thrown overboard - everything but the kitchen sink in fact :D (food, camera, cloths, luminaries, scrubbers, printers and their cartridges, things like that)

Memorable quotes from the document

Weight reduction scenario 3 (consumables, deployable items, Spacehab jettison, and FREESTAR jettison) yielded the best results, with a total weight reduction of 31,321 lb.
Two potential options for getting Spacehab out of payload bay:
•EVA crew (two) pull Spacehab out of the closed keel latch and open sill latches to gain clearance for Orbiter backaway.
•Perform slow Orbiter backaway while Spacehab is in open sill latches and closed keel latch.
Deployable items (total reduction 16,228 lbm)
–All loose items, and items that could be made loose (via IFM, for example) and deployed overboard via EVA.
Disconnect 23 electrical and water lines running from Orbiter toSpacehab.
•Use EVA cable cutters to physically disconnect lines.
•Only one inhibit to remove power prior to cutting lines.
–Disconnect Spacehab from tunnel adapter at the flexible joint.
- Assume that EVA crew will completely detach FREESTAR (or Spacehab) and provide a clear path up out of the payload bay.
•Separation technique:
–Orbiter performs small +Z body translation in free drift to slowly back away from FREESTAR (or Spacehab).
–When FREESTAR (or Spacehab) clears the Orbiter mold line, the Orbiter will return to attitude hold and execute a standard separation sequence.
•Separation Maneuver (1/2/3 Separation) Orbit Ops Checklist.
•Provides a safe separation for any attitude.

Reminds me of Pirate of the Caribbean 2 when Black Pearl is under attack by the Kraken and the crew deseperately seek explosives to blast the beast

Gibbs
: There's only half a dozen kegs of powder!
Will Turner: Then load the rum!
[long silence; crew stops working]
Gibbs: Aye! The rum too!

Looking good. :) I wonder how much more weight they need to lose now...

P.S. You have a few typos in the chapter, though. Mind if I drop you a PM on where I saw them ?

Archibald

Banned
No offense. Btw if I ever want to put the final thing into the finished timeline section, I would like someone help me correcting the mistakes and typos.

Archibald

Banned
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 22[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 6, 2003 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]
Flashback to STS-49 - Endeavour first mission - May 1992
[/FONT]

The billion dollars Intelsat 603 satellite has been stupidly stranded in low Earth orbit for two years, courtesy of a Titan booster failure. NASA decided to send a Shuttle (Endeavour on his maiden flight) to rescue it.
The idea is to capture the satellite and replace the defective rocket motor with a working unit. Astronauts rehearsed STS-49 for two years.
The main issue is how to capture the satellite in the first place. Intelsat obviously never thought its satellite would have to be captured by a shuttle robotic arm, so there's no grapple fixture on it. As such, astronaut Pierre Thuot is supposed to ride the robotic arm to the satellite and fix a purpose- build capture bar to its base; after what the robotic arm will be able to catch the bar fixture and the satellite that goes with it.
The first day Thuot spends three hours trying to latch the bar onto the satellite. Not only does the latches refuse to latch; Thuot finds that every time he tries to force his bar, the satellite internal propellant starts to slosh... and makes the 10 000 pounds Intelsat wobble, rotate and spin uncontrollably.
The second day has Thuot battling for five hours for a similar result - no latch and a wallowing satellite.
The third day is to be the last; Endeavour burned a lot of propellant the previous days, and the mission can't last forever. The astronauts decides to try a different trick.
Since Thuot alone can't at the same time hold the satellite steady and latch the bar, more hands are needed. Astronaut Hieb accompanied Thuot the day before, but a third man is needed, and thus Tom Akers join the party with the spare space suit. It is the first three man EVA in history, and truth be told, Endeavour airlock is a tight fit.
What follows is the most daring extravehicular activity in the space program history... at least until 2003.
Because the bar can't be be fixed to Intelsat for a capture by the arm, Thuot literally has to become a human bar, a bar with hands instead of latches ! And then another problem arise. Fixed to his robotic arm Thuot was supposed to handle the satellite alone. If a second man is to join him, he also has to be fixed to something, otherwise it might get lost into space. Unfortunately on the tip of the robotic arm there's only "room" for a single astronaut, so Hieb has to be fixed to something else... the shuttle itself. As such, orbiter pilot Dan Brandenstein has to carefully maneuver to bring the 100 tons Endeavour only two meters away from the balky, unpredictable satellite.
Once there, Hieb grapple the satellite and now Intelsat has two pair of human hands holding it steady. Unfortunately the satellite is in the wrong orientation for Hieb to retrieve and fix the damn capture bar (which remains useful, not to capture, but if only for the next round, read, to replace the rocket motor and re-launch that Intelsat beast into geostationnary orbit). For the next minutes the three astronauts slowly rotates the 10 000 pound cylindrical Intelsat by its base (!). This done, Hieb triumphantly latch the bar into place.
Alas, holding the satellite in one hand and the bar in another, Hieb finds he literally lacks a third hand to reach the switch at the bar center which definitively engage the latches.
Akers, for his part, hold his grip onto Intelsat, but can't do much more.
Thus it fells to Thuot, still riding his robotic arm, to sneak between the orbiter and the Hieb-hold bar to reach the switch and engage the latches definitively - and in the process he also tighten some bolts to be sure Intelsat never escape.
Now Intelsat has the bar solidly bolted and latched to his ass, and on that bar is a grapple fixture for the robotic arm to catch it. Except that the arm remain unable to catch the satellite since Thuot stands on its tip ! The astronaut thus clear the grapple fixture and now the arm definitively capture Intelsat 603.

NASA: 1, Intelsat: 0.

The Akers, Hieb and Thuot trio ends the day with EVA records; they respectively spent 8 hours and 29 minutes and 7 hours and 45 minutes into space !

sts49_intelsat6_capture.jpg

Archibald

Banned
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 23[/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 7, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Kennedy Space Center, Florida [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Coldplay[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif],[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Clocks[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][/FONT]

The 100 ton Atlantis had been brought from OPF-1 to the immense Vehicle Assembly Building. It had come there on its wheels, towed by a tractor like a very ordinary airliner. Once in the immense building however it had been solidly bolted to a crane, and hoisted vertically. The vision of the sleek orbiter hanging to the VAB crane was pretty surrealistic.

DSC_4291.jpg

And then things had gone downhill.
“We are not going to make it.” Mood at the Cape was an all-time low. Atlantis had betrayed NASA; more exactly, one of its five General Purpose Computers – the orbiter brain – was to be replaced.
“That failure will take at least five days to repair. Add to that time for on on orbit manoeuvring, and Columbia crew will asphyxiate before we reach them. All that sorties Brown and Anderson did cut in the reserves, pushing the deadline to February 13 in the morning.”
“In this context there is only one hope left.”
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Hello Arch,

I just knew that you were going to make this more edge-of-the-seat for us. But then Atlantis wasn't called "Britney" for nothing...

Was Atlantis's GP computer replaced in our timeline before its next mission?

Looks like ESA will absolutely HAVE to launch their final Ariane 4 with Eureca if Columbia is to have any chance left.

Otherwise they'll have to risk re-entry with the damaged wing, and hope for the best.

So by now, Archibald, I hope you've been able to learn more solid facts than I have of just how much reactant (oxygen and hydrogen) were left in Columbia's fuel cells. We know by now that running out of power (and water, but without power that's academic) won't happen until they reenter to avoid asphyxiation from carbon dioxide), but given that Eureca can deliver some vital supplies, starting with LiOH canisters, pushing that deadline back, how soon after that would the fuel cells run dry?

I'm trying to suss out whether the Eureca has to deliver some kind of fuel cell solution, hopefully without having to deliver fuel cells as well as the reactant tanks, and whether the Tiger Teams have had time to come up with a simple, lightweight, foolproof way to get the new hydrogen and oxygen into the fuel cells that Columbia's stressed crew can reliably manage, and then get the tanks plus whatever other apparatus they need (hoses and connectors, if Columbia crew can't simply pull out a pair of the exhausted tanks and install the new ones in their place, which would be best if it can be done) safely installed on Eureca before it has to go up on the Ariane.

And Columbia's lost another day!:eek:

Also if looking into the structure of Eureca, you've seen a way to stretch the cargo payload past the paltry tonne.

I do understand, a tonne of supplies will last them a good long while, long enough to wait out the known hold on Atlantis, and likely unexpected future holds, and that's all they need, since presumably Atlantis will be loaded to the gunwales with supplies for both crews, including better repair materials and plenty of fuel cell reactant tanks, CO2 removal canisters, and food.

Columbia crew might need some medicines too, after all their days of minimizing CO2 output by avoiding exercise (except the overworked EVA team, who might need different medicines) which for the majority of the crew means they aren't keeping in condition, which can lead to zero gravity medical issues taking a faster toll than they would for astronauts on a normal mission.

There's little reason for them to be fanatically conserving water, unless it is possible for them to survive for a considerable time in a powered-down Orbiter, which they probably could, for some days anyway, the alternative being to die earlier. In that case they'd want to set aside some water for those days, before they freeze (or broil, but I gather from the Apollo 13 movie (and the book Lost Moon by Jim Lovell)that unpowered spacecraft get cold, not hot) and use up all the oxygen. Also the LiOH canisters can't work well without the powered ventilation system blowing the air through them, and if air is not actively circulated in a spacecraft in free fall, gases will tend to accumulate in place, there being no buoyancy differentials to drive circulation, so people would have to keep moving around just to avoid choking on their own CO2 emissions building up around them like a choking halo.

Bearing in mind that the oxygen tank in the pair that mainly powers the fuel cells and thus provides water has extra O2 in it to serve as the source of oxygen for the crew, the fuel cell tanks seem vital and by far the best way to keep the ship powered; we've "Blue Teamed" ideas like docking with a payload that includes solar cells, but that won't provide water, and while I'd be very interested to see the math and not too amazed if it turned out a reasonably sized cell array could do the job, I'd pessimistically bet that a solar cell array that can provide enough power for the minimal power ration Columbia is now drawing would be much too big--too massive to send up in time on available launchers, too bulky to mate to Columbia, too awkward to secure to the payload bay, too liable to interfere and be interfered with by Columbia's heat radiator array inside the cargo doors. Anyway such a solution would require sending up a supplemental water supply as well, or in addition to their other woes, Columbia's crew might suffer from dehydration the way Apollo 13's did. (They had some restrictions on their water supply but mainly they didn't drink even as much as they could and in retrospect should have, especially Haise, who suffered a kidney infection; they were shy of drinking water because of restrictions on urine disposal, lest the vented liquid perturb their already dicey orbit unpredictably).

But again--their water supply is not an issue as long as the fuel cells work, and if those fail and there is no alternate power supply, they won't last long after that in any case. And they couldn't decide to take their chances on reentry without power to operate Columbia's systems; if they decide on a desperation reentry they'd better do it well before the last of the fuel cell reactant is depleted!

But that's not a problem if it's the CO2 situation that forces reentry--which is what will happen if the Eureca cargo does not reach them.

If the "dead weight" I'd like to see shaved off Eureca to send up more supplies instead turns out to be vital, or even just helpful, to the task of Eureca getting to Columbia, then it's essential weight that can't be discarded.

I'm just surprised that there is only a tonne left.:confused:

Also there is the matter of bulk to consider; the Eureca package has to fit in both the Ariane IV payload shroud and the Orbiter cargo bay.

Given the tonnage restrictions I don't fear that would be an extra hurdle, but it needs to be looked into. And whatever goes in that cargo pallet has to go there well before launch--which now has to be, oh crud, considerably less than a week from the "present date" of the current update.

Bearing in mind that the oxygen tank in the pair that mainly powers the fuel cells and thus provides water has extra O2 in it to serve as the source of oxygen for the crew, the fuel cell tanks seem vital and by far the best way to keep the ship powered; we've "Blue Teamed" ideas like docking with a payload that includes solar cells, but that won't provide water, and while I'd be very interested to see the math and not too amazed if it turned out a reasonably sized cell array could do the job, I'd pessimistically bet that a solar cell array that can provide enough power for the minimal power ration Columbia is now drawing would be much too big--too massive to send up in time on available launchers, too bulky to mate to Columbia, too awkward to secure to the payload bay, too liable to interfere and be interfered with by Columbia's heat radiator array inside the cargo doors.
Ask and ye shall recieve. Shuttle fuel cells provided a range of power output, minimum of 2 kW, maximum of 12, generally maintained at 7 kW each for. This is for each of three cells. So to hit minimum power, the same they've been surviving on, we need 6 kW. To hit standard power, we need 21 kW. Space rated panels generally mass about 300 W/kg, and at the time the systems in use provided about 15% efficiency. Insolation at Earth orbit above the atmosphere is about 1.36 kW/m^2. Hence, a meter square panel provides about 204 W and masses 1.5 kg.

A minimal array providing 6 kW would be about 30 m^2, and mass 20 kg. An array providing 21 kW would be about 70 kg and require 103 m^2. That's an array 22m long and 4.5 m wide.

Interestingly, the Intelsat they yanked off the Ariane is based on the LS-1300 bus, which provides between 5 and 25 kW depending on configuration. Not sure which Intelsat 907 was configured for, but I suspect on the large end. Also, Intelsat had to be capable of the 1500 m/s deficit the standard GTO insertion requires--basically, they insert into a 35,780 kw by 200 km orbit, and then the satellite conducts a burn at apogee to raise the perigee to 35,788 km and settle into GEO. Frankly, I think Intelsat, stripped of all but the spacecraft's own comm gear and with cargo strapped onto it, might be better than Eureca. The maximum GTO payload of this Ariane variant was 3840 kg (per Schillings), and then to make up a 1500 m/s deficit, the satellite couldn't mass more than 2350 kg, less than half Eureca. It'd have plenty of control authority and all the guidance to make it to shuttle, and it is designed to be bolted to an Ariane 4. Annoyingly, the stuff on topin the image below is the primary command/communications antenna the spacecraft uses to talk to the ground, not the comms antennas it supports as payload, so I'm not sure exactly where to weld on a cargo pallet, but I think it's doable to find a place--and worth it for the increase in payload from 1 ton to about 5 tons (once you lose maybe another ton to the fuel the satellite needs for rendezvous and the cargo support structure, which will be heavy because there's no time to do analysis to make it light.).
2003%20159%20intelsat%20team.jpg

Archibald

Banned
Was Atlantis's GP computer replaced in our timeline before its next mission?
Well, the fact is STS-114 was ultimately flown (in July 2005) by Discovery and not Atlantis.

What I did however was to search for a list of shuttle delays history (and there were many of them in 30 years of operations), then pickup a failure mode not serious enough to delay Atlantis too much.

the Intelsat they yanked off the Ariane
You have lots of good points there. Let's say the 1992 mission I described in the post before convinced NASA and ESA that Intelsat satellites are too hard to catch for an exhausted crew. ;)

Incidentally, I think you may like this.

The fact is, satellites have plenty of maneuvering in them.

And now last update before the week end.

[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight Day 24[/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 8, 2003 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Kourou, French Guyana [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif](music: [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Alain Bashung[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif], [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]Osez Joséphine[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]) [/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT, sans-serif][FONT=Times, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT] Thunder rocked the jungle; the ground shook.
For the last time an Ariane 4 left the equatorial launch base. Never in history had so much people gathered to see an European rocket liftoff.
The first two stages worked like Swiss clocks, but then came the most critical part of the mission. The HM-7 powering stage 3 had never been that reliable, although fortunately its role in today mission was quite limited. After ten minutes of flight it was cast-off, and the Eureca quietly sailed into Columbia 39 degree orbit.

2003V159launch-1.jpg

eureca-1__1.jpg

(Go Eureca !)

Last edited:
And so marks the end of the First Generation of Ariane Launch Vehicles. And with this, the 116th launch of the Ariane 4 and the 113th successful launch IIRC.

Some interesting notes to point out here. First off, the 3rd stage engine was a HM-7B, which IOTL and ITTL, has been in service since 1984. And was responsible for 2 of the three flight failures in the Ariane 4 - and 5 of the 7 failures in all the 144 launches of the Ariane LV. So it's actually far more reliable than you say it is. Though the Viking engines for the LRBs, 1st and 2nd stages were so reliable by this point, they stopped test-firing the engines prior to integration on the launch vehicle in 1998. A very rare occurrence.

In any case, once it reaches Columbia, it's gonna provide a much-needed lifeline to allow Atlantis the time it needs to get itself up. Even so, they're gonna be cutting it far too tight for anyone's liking.

Archibald

Banned
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Flight day 25 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]February 9, 2003 [/FONT] [FONT=Times, Times, serif]
Aboard Columbia

Music:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times, Times, serif]Coldplay[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times, serif], Whatif
[/FONT]
The exhausted crew gathered once again near the cockpit windows to watch their savior arrival. The air aboard the shuttle was becoming as thick as a chicken soup; breathing was painful. It was Ilan Ramon that spotted a flash of light – Eureca lone solar array reflecting the sun. The ungainly space platform was carrying more than fresh air: it was carrying hope from all mankind.
Eureca had done her job pretty well, but once again the final word in the story belonged to Mike Anderson and David Brown. Over the last two days they had reviewed again and again the peculiar STS-49 mission; lessons learned from Intelsat 607 epic capture.
They got out of the airlock into Columbia ravaged payload bay, where lose wires and latches floated desultorily. Down on the ground the join ESA / NASA team manoeuvred old Eureca within feet of Columbia payload bay so that the two astronauts could catch the balky platform with their gloved hands, and tether it to their orbiter. What made matters more complex was the eventuality of getting ride of Eureca someday - provided Columbia had to close its payload bay doors to return Earth by itself.
Against all odds, Anderson and Brown managed to secure Eureca to Columbia. They immediately started to unload the platform vital cargo. It had been filled to the brim with LiOH CO2 scrubbers and oxygen. Columbia crew, however, was also gratified with a special package. Inside were a lot of goodies – cookies, fresh vegetables, messages of hope and humour - everything Earth could think off to improve the astronauts morale.
Anderson and Brown filed the airlock with supplies the rest of the crew then unloaded inside. It was a cumbersome process that took a long time, but Columbia crew was in no hurry.
For the first time in three weeks they faced a much brighter future.

800px-Sts046-99-039_-_cropped.jpg

Kennedy Space Center, Florida
NASA and contractors workers buzzing around Atlantis felt a heavy weight falling off their tired shoulders. Eureca supply mission was also a breath of fresh air for them; it removed the unbearable pressure of a February 10 launch date that reminded many veterans of the days leading to the Challenger disaster, when NASA was committed to an impossible schedule.
Kennedy top management acknowledged that pressure and the relief the workers felt. They were quick to remind however that only the first battle had been won in a continuing war. Atlantis still had to fly as soon as possible.

So with Eureca delivering it's payload of LiOH CO2 Scrubbers, O2, food and letters of support. It would appear that the Atlantis Team have been given a much-needed lifeline to get the next Shuttle ready.

Though I'd think that pic is a tad inaccurate.

Well, I'm hooked and on the edge of my seat now. I do hope Eureca makes it with the impromptu resupply mission. :) This could decide everything...

Cookies and letters are nice.

An oxygen tank without a hydrogen tank means their power supply is limited to whatever oxy/hydrogen reactant is left in the three fuel cell tank pairs they launched with a month ago, plus the possibility of hooking up Eureca's solar panels to their power system.

I'm cool with that if in fact there is still a decent reserve of hydrogen and oxygen to react with it left in the old tanks. An oxygen tank that is being used solely to renew the air will go a long long way toward doing just that, if it isn't needed for power purposes. The standard fuel cell tanks held hundreds of kg of O2, just a fraction of it (45 lbs I believe, enough for 5 days expected O2 losses) in each was excess for breathing. A single standard tank thus stretches their breathing out for months--long after they'll die for lack of power and water!

So maybe this oxy tank is not a standard fuel cell tank but one much smaller that they simply meter into the air supply?

OTOH, if they are about to run out of reactant, the Eureca solar panels, even if they can just plug them in (seems unlikely that they'd be the right voltage though) would be a sporadic, intermittent power supply. They'd need to keep a reserve of reactant for last-minute maneuvering (that is, to keep the power-hungry systems needed to control their maneuvering rockets) which would probably require them to fold up the solar panels anyway.

So I think we need to take a look at just how much useful energy is left in the original fuel cell reactant tanks, to know their new deadline. Since no one saw fit to send up a hydrogen tank along with the oxygen tank (and the hydrogen tank is much lighter) we have to assume someone has carefully done the math here and is confident Atlantis will arrive before their power sputters out.

It's too late now to renew their fuel cells any other way than Atlantis bringing it, unless someone has scrounged up another multi-tonne to LEO launcher and another satellite bus to haul payload in with.

Sorry to throw cold water on the moment of triumph but I really hope you can justify ignoring the power deadline by showing it is safely far down the road. And this seems ominously unlikely to me.

Or that Columbia's crew can survive with the power out completely, as they might, with considerable hardship, be able to do for some days. Someone will have to improvise a big hand-fan and they'll have to take turns manning it, keeping the air stirred up so the oxygen mixes in and the CO2 gets removed and the people who have to sleep don't choke to death on the halo of their own exhalations building up around them. Then Atlantis will have to dock with a derelict ship and move everyone over to herself, pronto. Which is what they want to do in the likely case her wings are not themselves shot.

Letting Columbia's power die completely will exclude the option of a dramatic reentry and amazingly lucky success of the repair by the way; she can't use her onboard maneuvering fuel in the OMS pods without power to control the rockets and of course run the guidance computers. Without power Columbia is a derelict and space junk, and someone is going to have to go up again someday to push her into reentry (or power her on again and install remote controls) to bring her down.

Hate to be a pedant, but I have to wonder what kind of pressure vessel they're storing the letters, cookies, and veggies in--that kind of thing doesn't take well to hard vacuum, and Eureca to the best of my knowledge (admittedly limited on this matter) Eureca had no pressurized storage volumes.

I still think that Intelsat would have made a better bus, but whatever. I suppose the difference between 1 ton of supplies and 5 tons of supplies is immaterial if a ton is enough to last until Atlantis can get launched. It just occurs to me that Intelsat is lighter, easier to mate to the LV, is already in Korou, has been spending months already being checked for launch, has a full solar cell/battery suite, and has better cargo capacity. All things on which it'd be an improvement over Eureca, but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative of Eureca being pulled out of a museum to save Shuttle.

Wonder if the added time to Columbia's O2 and LiOH supply means that Altantis could be mated with one of the older ET.