Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
Any samples on this challenge?

Well, most of the entries for the original "ALL ABOARD!" challenge would qualify (they can be found here). For OTL examples, a map of any railway or road system would qualify, as would a map of bus routes or one of those abstract subway maps (like this one), or a map of the Atlantic slave trade, or ship routes in the Indian Ocean. It's a rather general challenge - provided that a transport network is shown in some way, you should be fine. :)

Last edited:
I just might actually enter this one for once.

Also, my support rests with an election map scenario of some sort for MotF 70, but for MotF 71, I'd like to retread The maps are never right in those books pending a better name.

While not participating, I do check up on these quite often. Anyway, I had an AMAZING idea.

HAI LOOK AT DIS GUIZ - We've all been there. Young, fresh to AH.Com, thinking we have the map skills it takes, only to have our hopes and dreams crushed by our first foray into mapmaking. The Challenge? Make a map as if you had not learned the art. ASB scenarios are encouraged, as is JPEG encoding.

Krall

Banned
While not participating, I do check up on these quite often. Anyway, I had an AMAZING idea.

HAI LOOK AT DIS GUIZ - We've all been there. Young, fresh to AH.Com, thinking we have the map skills it takes, only to have our hopes and dreams crushed by our first foray into mapmaking. The Challenge? Make a map as if you had not learned the art. ASB scenarios are encouraged, as is JPEG encoding.

So, what, "make a deliberately bad map"? You'll forgive me if I don't think that's a good idea. :p

So, what, "make a deliberately bad map"? You'll forgive me if I don't think that's a good idea. :p
Yeah, as presented I can't really see it working. It runs the risk of being rather mean spirited (Imagine if someone basically made a parody of someone elses actual attempt at map making.), and it's not exactly easy to judge.

If people want a challenge that's a bit less "serious" than the current challenge, how about this?:

We're all going to die! - Make a map showing the aftermath of a Michael Bay-ish global disaster. You don't have to show the entire world, but the massive scale of the disaster should be apparent.

Considering that we're fast approaching the supposed end of the World, it seems like a perfect challenge to me.:p

While I'm more than a bit dubious of HAI GUIZ, it does remind of an idea I had at one point: a "cover" challenge, where you would have to make an entirely new map based on someone else's map. Brownie points if you can make a ASB or noobish scenario seem plausible. Implementation could be tricky though, and again, there might be a risk of offending someone. (Though I guess you could require that entrants get permission from the originators? Which could also be problematic in cases where the original mapmaker is no longer active...)

Yeah, as presented I can't really see it working. It runs the risk of being rather mean spirited (Imagine if someone basically made a parody of someone elses actual attempt at map making.), and it's not exactly easy to judge.

If people want a challenge that's a bit less "serious" than the current challenge, how about this?:

We're all going to die! - Make a map showing the aftermath of a Michael Bay-ish global disaster. You don't have to show the entire world, but the massive scale of the disaster should be apparent.

Considering that we're fast approaching the supposed end of the World, it seems like a perfect challenge to me.:p

This actually sounds interesting. Even better if it was to coincide with the real end of the world (21st December).

We're all going to die! gets my support.

Krall

Banned
Some of us are bad at making maps though.

True, but I don't imagine anyone does it *on purpose*. Besides if you map is bad that doesn't disqualify you from entering, whereas with the proposed challenge good maps are specifically disqualified.

Hmm, the challenge is quite similar to Air, Water, Earth, Fire, only showing a global disaster instead of a major regional disaster.

Also WE'RE NOT APPROACHING THE END OF THE WORLD IT'S JUST THE END OF THE 13th B'AK'TUN WHY DOES ANYONE EVER PAY ANY SORT OF ATTENTION TO SUCH UNFOUNDED NONSENSE ASJDHAKSJDHASHJK *Becomes unintelligible as he starts foaming from the mouth*

While I'm more than a bit dubious of HAI GUIZ, it does remind of an idea I had at one point: a "cover" challenge, where you would have to make an entirely new map based on someone else's map. Brownie points if you can make a ASB or noobish scenario seem plausible. Implementation could be tricky though, and again, there might be a risk of offending someone. (Though I guess you could require that entrants get permission from the originators? Which could also be problematic in cases where the original mapmaker is no longer active...)

I can see that causing a lot of problems and putting a lot of people off. I'd much rather stick to thematic challenges, unless a lot of people think they'd be willing and able to enter a challenge like that, of course. :p

Also WE'RE NOT APPROACHING THE END OF THE WORLD IT'S JUST THE END OF THE 13th B'AK'TUN WHY DOES ANYONE EVER PAY ANY SORT OF ATTENTION TO SUCH UNFOUNDED NONSENSE ASJDHAKSJDHASHJK *Becomes unintelligible as he starts foaming from the mouth*

He did say "supposed", remember.

This actually sounds interesting. Even better if it was to coincide with the real end of the world (21st December)
Precisely what I was thinking. The 21st is a friday, so the deadline might be the day after.

Hmm, the challenge is quite similar to Air, Water, Earth, Fire, only showing a global disaster instead of a major regional disaster.
Can you tell I haven't really been following this thread for that long? :)

I guess I basically envision it as the Hollywood blockbuster counterpart to Air, Water, Earth, Fire's quality documentary then. I'm all for it if people want some serious themes, I just wanted to offer up a more lighthearted alternative.

That's the joke. It would be a pretty explicitly unrealistic/ASB disaster, mostly based in misunderstood science and visual flair. Though I just realized that it would probably be more correct to call it a Roland Emmerichian disaster, not Michael Bay-ish. I really should be ashamed of myself.

Actually, the Gods of MesoAmerica are going to kill us all, but not because of the calendar. No, after half a millenium of our slacking off on the human sacrifices, their divine patience is finally exhausted.

Bruce

Krall

Banned
The voting for MotF 68: A Mile Between, A World Away is over!

The honoured winner is:

JJDXB!

JJDXB's entry depicts northern Italy in the late 1800s - the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia rebelled against their Austrian overlords and formed a republic of their own (unlike in our timeline, where the Kingdom was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy). Though support for a united Italy is initially strong, cultural differences put an end to the dream and Italy is divided once again; Austria, Sardinia, and the Papal States stand on one side, France, Lombardy-Venetia, the Two Sicilies, Tuscany, and the Three Cities on the other. JJDXB's map provides details of the subdivisions of the various northern Italian states, as well as a comprehensive breakdown of their allegiance and war aims. Their entry was visually impressive, being highly detailed and skillfully designed. Well done, JJDXB! :)

Honourable mention:

tnowacki

tnowacki's entry showed the friction between an alternate France and Germany following over a century of conflict over the Rhineland. Well made, detailed, and in French; tnowacki's map was popular with a lot of people, tying with JJDXB's for much of the voting period before finally coming a respectable second.

Thanks to everyone who entered this round, and I look forward to seeing whatever you fellows produce for MotF 69 (hint hint)! :D

I must wonder about Texian's submission as I have known many, many Mormons and some tell that they do not use crosses. As for that of Zaius, it does not show the Suwalki and Chelm governates that had been detached from Poland