Make Ancient China More Expanionst

One reason I can think of is that a lot of the people in China are tied to the land, and I don't mean legally (As that's hardly less problematic in Russia). Rice farming is enormously labor intensive.

So saying "China has a huge population" doesn't go as far to China having a spare population.

And related to this, why would China push into the steppes? Sounds like wasteland.

Last edited:

scholar

Banned
Nonsense. The Great Wall of China is just a connected system of the preexisting walls that the Warring States of China used when fighting each other.
Now that is utter nonsense because the preexisting walls were not positioned in such a way to ward off Chinese invaders, but other invaders. Further, stating that it was just a connected system of preexisting walls is like saying the city of Paris is just a French city.

One reason I can think of is that a lot of the people in China are tied to the land, and I don't mean legally (As that's hardly less problematic in Russia). Rice farming is enormously labor intensive.

So saying "China has a huge population" doesn't go as far to China having a spare population.

And related to this, why would China push into the steppes? Sounds like wasteland.

I'm not too sure whether a lot of people in China are really tied to the inhabited lands but I do agree that it will be much likely that people will move to the north if there is some sort of incentives...

Can anyone suggest what are easily exploitable and also profitable resources in Russian area during that time without the need of modern technologies ? :confused:

In order to make China a colonial power beyond its regional sphere, the Lands Below the Yangze and the Steppes and Mountains of the North and West, you would need to radically redefine the notion of China itself to the Chinese people (which means going back before the Qin and beyond)
Any ideas on how to actually do that?

Unlikely.

The Treasure fleets saw no colonization, this was not their mission. An expansion of the fleet, which was very expensive, would only result in additional contacts with peripheral states. The goal of China is not to conquer far off distant lands, but rather to expand its reach and receive the obeisance of tributary states. There was a Ming army defending Malacca from outside invaders, but the Ming never desired to annex the lands.

OK, but let's say the Chinese had kept the fleet going a bit longer, just enough to see the Portuguese reach India (1498) and Malacca (1511). If the Portuguese might try to act agressively as OTL, the local states might ask Chinese protection, which in this scenario China is in good condition to provide.

At least, competition with Portugal might be enough to keep the Chines navy modernized. At most, the dynamics of this rivalry migh change chinese way of thinking, and from "protecting" states they might pass to vasalize them

I'm not too sure whether a lot of people in China are really tied to the inhabited lands but I do agree that it will be much likely that people will move to the north if there is some sort of incentives...

Can anyone suggest what are easily exploitable and also profitable resources in Russian area during that time without the need of modern technologies ? :confused:

I don't know...fur??? ivory (from long-dead mammouths)??

The thing is, Russia only expanded there in the age of gunpowder, when guns gave the sedentary societies bordering the steppes a key advantage over the nomadic raiders. China would only expand int Siberia if it firsts beats the nomads (who are between them and the Northern Forest). And that can only be done after the XVI century, either under the Ming or the Manchu, not earlier (unless you want the expansion to be limited to the Pacific coasts of Russia and the lands nearby.

scholar

Banned
OK, but let's say the Chinese had kept the fleet going a bit longer, just enough to see the Portuguese reach India (1498) and Malacca (1511). If the Portuguese might try to act agressively as OTL, the local states might ask Chinese protection, which in this scenario China is in good condition to provide.

At least, competition with Portugal might be enough to keep the Chines navy modernized. At most, the dynamics of this rivalry migh change chinese way of thinking, and from "protecting" states they might pass to vasalize them
China would need to lose while at Sea. Not so terribly that the Ming will abandon it, but not so lightly that they think they can remain complacent.

Faeelin

Banned

This was one of the problems. The Qing did push into the Steppes (and managed to make it stick). But they did so for reasons of external security; what use was the land to China's textile and merchant class?

Incidentally, Qing-Russian relations showed a lot more flexibility than Qing relations with the maritime powers. This was partly because the traditinoal therat to Chinese states came from the steppes. The sea had usually held only pirates.

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
Over India and Its cultural sphere in SE Asia is a bit of a stretch, let's face it

I don't know. Southeast Asia was very lightly populated until the late 19th, 20th centuries. If China gained hegemony over the region from the 15th century onward, I could see settlement and assimilation winning out.

Interestingly, I'm backing away from some of my earlier points. The observation that the Qing encouraged Han colonization elsewhere is a good point. One of the arguments against China settling the Philippines or Java is that there were no cash crops to make it worthwhile; but if that was so, why was state sponsored settlement of Taiwan worth it?

I find it really interesting that from most of the period from the han dynasty through the song the Chinese did not really reach out of there sphere of influence, thanks to sino centrism they did not undertake too many conquests with the exception of the Tariam Basin and Vietnam and failed to take Korea during the Sui Dynasty.

I would like to see an east asia modified to change the concept of sino centrism to make it more aggressive.

I think of a Chinese Han Dynasty invasion of Southern Japan a near equivalent to the actual roman invasion of Britain

I already stated why it was harder for China to expand further into Korea in this thread but here's a recap of the main points:

You would first need an emperor that could do the same with Korea. Emperor Wudi of Han conquered Gojoseon and set up four commanderies, but three of them were lost within 25 years. On the other hand, Emperors Wendi of Sui and Taizong of Tang had never lost a campaign until they invaded Goguryeo. In both cases, they were able to take several Goguryeo border fortresses, but failed to advance any further. Had Goguryeo been defeated earlier than in OTL, either the Sui or the Tang would have had to face a probable Baekje-Silla alliance, which would have been hard to conquer based on how Silla repulsed the Tang in OTL.

There's a very good reason why Goguryeo held out against the Sui and Tang for 70 years and six expeditions. Although there was a 30-year break in between, 40 years is still a long time for a state to resist another that was about 10 times its population. All eligible males in Goguryeo were trained to fight in case of a war, so there was no problem with conscription. Goguryeo also either allied with or maintained tributary relations (usually in Goguryeo's favor) with Khitan and Mohe tribes, and also allied with the Turks, urging them to revolt against the Tang so that Goguryeo would have breathing space. In other words, you would need to make sure that Goguryeo would be isolated from its allies, then break through two lines of fortresses to successfully invade Pyongyang, and finally subdue the southern kingdoms. By the time that someone accomplishes or attempts to accomplish this, it's very likely that there would be border issues with bordering states to the north or west, or an uprising protesting against such a long and exhausting campaign or campaigns.

In addition, it would have been hard for the Han to expand further than it did mostly because of the Xiongnu. It was probably the only time that a Chinese dynasty acknowledged another state as its equal, and it took them about 200 years to finally subjugate the nomads. It did temporarily establish commandaries in Central Asia and southern Manchuria/northern Korea, but unless the Chinese migrated in large numbers into either or both regions, it would have been hard for the Han to retain the temporary gains for a significant amount of time. It failed in Central Asia because the environment was mostly inhospitable, and in Korea because of raids from states such as Goguryeo.

It would have been extremely hard for the Tang to perform significantly better than in OTL for similar reasons. It controlled a significant amount of Central Asia as well, but lost most of it after the An Shi Rebellion. It might have been possible to avert the disaster, but I think it would have been highly unlikely for all of the generals to remain loyal when some of them had control over a significant amount of territory and army, not to mention political factors. It would also have been hard for the rulers to maintain control over all of its regions when some of them tried to rebel, and bordering states tried to seize Chinese territory. Although the Tibetans sacked the capital after the dynasty was greatly weakened, the fact that foreigners were able to temporarily seize control of the political center suggests that the Tang barely held itself together during its latter years.

Meanwhile, although Goguryeo had been vanquished by the Tang with help from Silla, which was crucial, Balhae was established around the same area only 30 years later. This was probably possible because Wu Zetian had taken control, which meant that the dynasty could have been politically unstable. In addition, Silla was unwilling to help after they recently pushed the Tang out of the Korean peninsula, and because the residents in southern Manchuria were treated harshly, it was hard for the Tang to bring the revolt under control because the various tribes in the region unified in order to push the Chinese out. It's also important to note that around this time, Silla's population was around 6-7 million, while the population of Balhae when it was founded was at least half that number. In other words, their combined population would have been about 1/3 or 1/4 that of the Tang when it lost control of the northeast.

And the Sui actually got away with half of Korea being conquered. The Gorguryeo Kingdom was a rather large thing.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. The Sui did temporarily conquer several border fortresses, but never held them for long in part because of supply issues, low morale, and the fact that the generals had to report to the emperor right before making an important decision. The situation after each campaign mostly ended in a status quo.

Really? I figured that since the Shang, Zhou, and Warring States were all based in that area, that that was where Chinese civilization began.

During the Warring States Period, the Yan's capital was located around what is now Beijing, but the Yuan was the first unified Chinese dynasty to have its capital in that location. As other people have stated before, Chinese civilization started around the area between the Yellow River and the Yangtze River. On the other hand, the area around Beijing was probably considered to be part of the northern border by the Chinese until the Ming.

It's also important to note that around this time, Silla's population was around 6-7 million, while the population of Balhae when it was founded was at least half that number. In other words, their combined population would have been about 1/3 or 1/4 that of the Tang when it lost control of the northeast.

Just a nitpick, if Balhae and Silla had a combined 10 million people, isn't that still only 20% of Tang China's 50 million people during the middle of the 8th century? Wouldn't you mean that Balhae and Silla's combined population was a third or a fourth of Tang China's population after the Tang lose control of the Northeast?

And an aside, when you say "an emperor" who conquers Korea, what about the possibility of the Liao or Jin Emperors conquering Korea?

Interestingly, I'm backing away from some of my earlier points. The observation that the Qing encouraged Han colonization elsewhere is a good point. One of the arguments against China settling the Philippines or Java is that there were no cash crops to make it worthwhile; but if that was so, why was state sponsored settlement of Taiwan worth it?
I wouldn't call the settlement of Taiwan state sponsored. Most of the policies on emigration to Taiwan tried to restrict as many people as possible from going there. The Qing government taxed the settlers as well as the aborigines, but that was about the extent of its involvement with Taiwan. Taiwan was also a lot less populated then the Philippines or Indonesia. Once in Taiwan, the Chinese settlers could ignore aboriginal land ownership and set up farms to feed themselves and the cities on the mainland.

Just a nitpick, if Balhae and Silla had a combined 10 million people, isn't that still only 20% of Tang China's 50 million people during the middle of the 8th century? Wouldn't you mean that Balhae and Silla's combined population was a third or a fourth of Tang China's population after the Tang lose control of the Northeast?

I apologize for not making myself clear. What you're saying is what I meant, and I was trying to say that it would have been hard for Tang to retake control over the area.

And an aside, when you say "an emperor" who conquers Korea, what about the possibility of the Liao or Jin Emperors conquering Korea?

I didn't think about that, but the Liao failed in numerous attempts to conquer Goryeo because of skilled military maneuvers, including elements of guerilla warfare, and diplomacy. The Jin rulers considered themselves to be direct descendants of someone who fled from Silla or Goryeo because of political unrest, so it would have been problematic to launch an invasion. Had the Jin carried it out, however, it would have been extremely costly for both sides, and Goryeo might break off relations in order to re-ally with the Song, which might be extremely problematic for the Jin.