Canada Wank (YACW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dathi,

I've been reading for a long time, and my compliments.

I have been, off and on, drafting a similar timeline, with a later POD, inspired by this outline by another author

Some thoughts / questions.

You've stated that the US is unlikely to attack Canada alone again.

Would Mexico feel the same way? While a rational person would look at the comparative military strengths of the Viceroyality and Mexico and quickly abandon the idea, a revanchist (especially if there is a boom after gold / silver are discovered in NW Mexico) might convince themselves that Mexico lost due to thinness of settlement and treachery. (And given the riches at hand w/ the gold rush, attempt a military build-up and surprise strike?)

Unlike Shevek, I do not see a happy outcome for either the US or Spanish Florida. The US, needing hard currency, will be reliant upon the export of cash crops for at least a generation. The influence that this will give the planters, coupled with New England not being a part of the US, and thereby tilting the slave / free state balance in the Senate should probably prevent any movement on slavery for at least a similar period of time.

Spanish Florida is unlikely to derive the same benefits from transshipment duties
as they had previously, once the age of rail is fully underway; only those plantations far from either the Atlantic Coast and the Mississippi are likely to pay Spanish Florida for transshipment rights, and then only grudingly.

Regarding your developments in Belgium:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Belgium[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Belgians, too, revolted in 1830, although the riots were put down that year. However the catholic Belgians are particularly unhappy with Protestant Prussian rule, so while the initial riots are put down, rebellion continues. After a while, the Netherlands provides some military support, and Hannover some logistical support. King Frederick William IV of Prussia[3] can't get soldiers in easily (the other German nations, especially Hannover and Hesse, weren't happy about allowing him to march soldiers overland), and Belgium gets its independence in '31, guaranteed by the UK and France. Prince Frederick of the Netherlands (younger son of King William) was made King of Belgium.[/FONT]
Is this really likely? I realize Europe isn't the main focus of TTL, and I'm not claiming Prussia is invincible, or Belgium is incapable of gaining independence, but I do think that, given the wealth and industry of Belgium at this time, Prussia is likely to risk war with German states preventing them from supressing the rebellion. I had actually anticipated a minor exodus of Belgians to Canada on the supression of a nationalist uprising (especially if you felt the need to boost the Francophone population of Canada) analgous to the '48ers in OTL.

However, as I said at the beginning of the post, my congratulations on a very well done timeline (despite this being my first post, I've been reading since you started).

TB-EI

Last edited:
Dathi,

I've been reading for a long time, and my compliments.
thanks
You've stated that the US is unlikely to attack Canada alone again.

Would Mexico feel the same way? While a rational person would look at the comparative military strengths of the Viceroyality and Mexico and quickly abandon the idea,
It's not just Canada, it's the whole British Empire. No, I think Mexico will be sane.

Now. If, and I say IF, there were a major war that distracted the Brits, they, like the US might, MIGHT be tempted. But alone? No, they saw damage done to the US and the US is rather stronger than Mexico.
Unlike Shevek, I do not see a happy outcome for either the US or Spanish Florida. The US, needing hard currency, will be reliant upon the export of cash crops for at least a generation. The influence that this will give the planters, coupled with New England not being a part of the US, and thereby tilting the slave / free state balance in the Senate should probably prevent any movement on slavery for at least a similar period of time.

Spanish Florida is unlikely to derive the same benefits from transshipment duties
as they had previously, once the age of rail is fully underway; only those plantations far from either the Atlantic Coast and the Mississippi are likely to pay Spanish Florida for transshipment rights, and then only grudingly.
Spanish Florida will have its own crops and development, I'm sure. It won't be a hugely rich place, but it won't need to depend on US cotton, I don't think.
I suspect that most of the transshipment fees (especially early on) are going to Metropolitan Spain (in particular the indemnities), rather than used to fund Floridian development.

As for rail, it's already possible to send cotton upstream a few rivers, over to the Tennessee and up that to the head of navigation, where there's a RR to the coast. It is, however, FAR more expensive to do this than to simply barge cotton downstream. I haven't costed things out, but I assume that the Spanish would set their tariffs to keep using their ports cheaper. True, as US Rail improves that cost will go down, but so with the Spanish (and British) export levies/tariffs.

As for the US. Ja, slavery will be around for a while. In what form and for how long, even I don't know. OTOH, Spanish Florida and Louisiana are a lot closer than OTL's New York, or Canada for an Underground Railroad.

Regarding your developments in Belgium:

Is this really likely? I realize Europe isn't the main focus of TTL, and I'm not claiming Prussia is invincible, or Belgium is incapable of gaining independence, but I do think that, given the wealth and industry of Belgium at this time, Prussia is likely to risk war with German states preventing them from supressing the rebellion. I had actually anticipated a minor exodus of Belgians to Canada on the supression of a nationalist uprising (especially if you felt the need to boost the Francophone population of Canada) analgous to the '48ers in OTL.
1) OTL, the Belgians revolted against the Dutch, who ruled them. ITTL, I suspect they'll be even more unhappy with the Prussians.
2) there is an unsuccessful rebellion in Rhine Province at the same time, so the Prussian troops who are already stationed there are occupied. I'll admit I didn't realize that was likely when I wrote the Belgian bit.
3) Hannover and Hesse aren't giving permission for the Prussians to march through. Forcing that would lead to a general war with all Germany, surely with the Austrians on the Hannoverian side. Prussia doesn't want to go there.
4) this means they're stuck with the troops in the west (Westphalia, Belgium, Rhine Provence, Luxembourg), which, as I say are otherwise occupied; and such troops as they can ship by sea from Antwerp. And I don't THINK the Prussians had prepared for major movements of armies by ship.

The Netherlands actively side with the Dutch rebels, and there is threat that the French and English might as well.

While it is certainly true that the Prussian army could wipe the floor with the Belgian rebels, taking on half of Europe isn't in their interest right now. They probably got an agreement as part of the peace process, that France, say, or the Belgians, wouldn't support the rebels in Rhine Province, Westphalia or Luxembourg.

as they had previously, once the age of rail is fully underway; only those plantations far from either the Atlantic Coast and the Mississippi are likely to pay Spanish Florida for transshipment rights, and then only grudingly....
Well, certainly no one has responded to my lead balloon about the possibility Florida will actually revitalize Spain itself. Assuming Spain plods and staggers on just as in OTL is a worst-case assumption for Florida, since it means they get little positive help from their central government and are more likely to have Spain send over stupid gits to try to govern. That's why I'm hoping Spain gets a shot in the arm and a clearer head. Then they might hang on to Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines too maybe. I'd only want to see that if it means a better deal for the Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Filipinos than OTL!

Even with this worst-case assumption if the local Spanish regime is reasonably canny, just taking advantage of what luck hands them and not blowing it, Florida itself should be better off just because of its infusion of African-Americans. Who will emphatically not think of themselves as any kind of Usan! That's just me using OTL terminology.

These self-liberated slaves are the ones who dared the dangers of running and won. They are motivated people. And they may have been denied all manner of book-learning (though OTL escaped slave narratives make it clear that at least that energetic type of slave tended to seize opportunities for self-improvement whenever they could, including highly illegal literacy) but they certainly know how to clear a field for farming, build buildings up to what passed for code in the Deep South (and they didn't just construct their own huts and barns, they put up the Master's plantation houses too), handle all manner of equipment--they have what it takes to build a civilization of their own. They will doubtless be keen on education, for themselves and their children. And if the Spanish government is not stupid, at least locally, they can be counted on to protect the territory from US attack anyway. (It's not so clear what would happen if the Spanish regime were pretty atrocious, and then the British came sailing up with honeyed words.)

So extracting wealth from the USA plantations is a secondary benefit. The main benefit is the territory itself, farmed industriously by these former slaves and their descendants. And I suppose they'll branch out into light industry too, especially if there is ongoing wariness about the possibility of yet another US attack one fine day. They'll need arsenals, foundries, maybe some powder mills. Roads, or at least useful trails from the waterway landings. Boats. Eventually steam engines. They might not prioritize the invention of the air conditioner the way Dr. Gorrie did OTL, but everyone likes to be cool, especially in a Florida summer. (I know something about this you see...:eek:)

If Spain is little help in these matters, they'll turn to their Canadian and other British dominion neighbors--in Louisiana, in Tejas, in Jamaica. It's not clear what's happening in Haiti in this timeline but there's a good chance things are going notably better there too.

Religion is an interesting subject, often a factor in this timeline. The Spanish will probably put some pressure, if only of a desultory kind, to enroll the refugees as at least nominal Roman Catholics. I think the refugee settlers will accept this if it is nominal enough; how seriously they come to take their Roman label depends on how effective Spanish mission work is. They had better not try to be overbearing; fortunately this is a time I think when OTL Spanish piety largely settled into quietism, complacently accepting what they still had, not going on missionary crusades. So given their experience with dealing with the Philippines and the like they probably will wink at quite a lot of syncretism. Just as long as they don't go around calling themselves Baptists or Methodists, or pagans or Muslims, the hierarchy has a lot of experience tolerating quaint local approaches to veneration of the saints and so forth! If the missionaries are good, the children and grandchildren might wind up taking Roman doctrine very seriously.

More trouble might arise from rationalism, actually. Quite a lot of escaped slaves were religious skeptics, for some strange reason or other!:p They might prefer to take a good dose of the skeptical modernism of the age, especially from French sources. (It helps the missionaries here a bit that the Canadian French are those who sided with King and Faith against the Revolution. But I think Louisiana will be a lot less affected by the wave of Continental pietists who settled in Canada proper, and more traditionally French meaning a healthy dose of pragmatism in dealing with the Church. The Haitians and Jamaicans might be no help to them at all!) One thing that was likely to wake a would-be Spanish Inquisitor of the 19th century from his slumber would be if a lot of Spanish subjects started professing atheism or even worse, liberalism! (I have an "Ultramontane" book of my parents', entitled simply, Liberalism Is a Sin:eek::rolleyes::p).

It's at times like this I particularly hope Spain itself is being transformed.

After all in this timeline there are lots of demonstrations from the British side how willing they are to work with Catholics, at least de facto. There's the Catholic population of Canada after all, the largely Catholic addition of Tejas and the at least nominally 100 percent Catholic Rio Bravo, though as liberal republican revolutionaries they might want to repudiate that a bit. There's the Empire's long-standing alliance with Portugal, good relations with Brazil. There's the freaking former Crown Prince who went and converted spontaneously and against a lot of advice and pressure! And there's a whole separate Kingdom of Ireland now, with a Protestant monarch and the Protestants still doubtless holding the upper hand socially, economically and politically, but with the majority of the island still stubbornly and now openly and proudly Roman Catholic.

The door is open for Spain to come into the light and get back into the game of an expanding 19th century capitalist economy, in on the ground floor (if rather pushed off toward a corner) with Britain. Florida is a big ante to offer for a buy-in.

If not, I guess Florida itself can still do at least as well as OTL on its own merits.

Regarding slavery in the USA, I've largely shot my bolt on that subject, and it's in Dathi's hands what the heck happens there. It's not clearcut. Dathi has already deemphasized the degree to which the British will try to twist arms to get slavery abolished. But as I said, either Spain, Canada (via Louisiana) or both will skim off a share of the profit, and if they don't get a flow of goods to charge tolls and tariffs on it will be because the goods aren't being grown or made. Trading through its enemies the USA loses; not developing economy it loses a lot more, and these are the options. So on the demand side the economics of slavery looks weaker.

On the supply side, not only are the Canadian and Spanish territories nearby refuges, the very idea of them is a subversive influence among the slaves. Various forms of slave resistance will be stirred up more and harder to put down, by a United States with less margin of profit to afford forces (be they local, state or federal) to threaten with.

Indeed if there is ultimately war again between the USA and either Canada or Florida, it is possible it will be started by Southerners angry that Canadian or Spanish authorities don't do more to suppress subversive news and appeals seeping north and east from the respective freeman strongholds of Louisiana and Florida. Florida is the obvious weaker target. If Spain has not done its part as imperial power and arranged suitable alliances plus adequate defenses in place, it will be the full might of the USA against a bunch of former slaves, pretty much. A slam dunk for the USA? Not when it has to be looking over its shoulder seeing if the British might not jump in even if the Spanish have no alliance with them. Not against the desperate, tenacious resistance of those former slaves, and not with them stirring up revolt no holds barred among their cousins still stuck under slavery's lash. If Florida is really left on its own, it might come out of it an independent republic, or a voluntary British protectorate, but not I think ever a US state! If the US forces are mustered to the massive degree needed to suppress the place, and absolutely no foreign power steps in to balance the scales, and they do indeed break the Florida settlers, there will be generations of ongoing guerilla war and the United States will have a festering sore.

A minimal attempt to punish the Spanish and profit a bit on the side by forcing their way through at one point, say Mobile Bay and maybe Pensacola, using massive concentrations of force and a "magnanimous" offer to simply allow the black population there to leave peacefully with no questions asked as to their possible former status in the USA, might possibly be in the cards, if the Usans choose the right diplomatic moment when Spain is most isolated and Britain least likely to step in.

I had actually anticipated a minor exodus of Belgians to Canada on the supression of a nationalist uprising (especially if you felt the need to boost the Francophone population of Canada) analgous to the '48ers in OTL....

We call them '49ers OTL. ITTL they could be from an earlier year of course.

I suspect that most of the transshipment fees (especially early on) are going to Metropolitan Spain (in particular the indemnities), rather than used to fund Floridian development.
Well, I rather hope that the Spanish will see they have a cash cow in Florida and give some thought to at least protecting it. But if not--it's the ingenuity and tenacity of its recent immigrants I'm counting on. If the Spanish can't be bothered to justify their regime, too bad for them. If they at least use some of the income for arsenals, militia training and some kind of transport network, I daresay the inhabitants will stay loyal enough and take care of the development on their own. It's not like metropolitan Spain has a lot of capital to mobilize after all.

1) OTL, the Belgians revolted against the Dutch, who ruled them. ITTL, I suspect they'll be even more unhappy with the Prussians.
2) there is an unsuccessful rebellion in Rhine Province at the same time, so the Prussian troops who are already stationed there are occupied. I'll admit I didn't realize that was likely when I wrote the Belgian bit.
3) Hannover and Hesse aren't giving permission for the Prussians to march through. Forcing that would lead to a general war with all Germany, surely with the Austrians on the Hannoverian side. Prussia doesn't want to go there.
4) this means they're stuck with the troops in the west (Westphalia, Belgium, Rhine Provence, Luxembourg), which, as I say are otherwise occupied; and such troops as they can ship by sea from Antwerp. And I don't THINK the Prussians had prepared for major movements of armies by ship.

The Netherlands actively side with the Dutch rebels, and there is threat that the French and English might as well.

While it is certainly true that the Prussian army could wipe the floor with the Belgian rebels, taking on half of Europe isn't in their interest right now. They probably got an agreement as part of the peace process, that France, say, or the Belgians, wouldn't support the rebels in Rhine Province, Westphalia or Luxembourg.

Fair enough, however:

a) If one looks at Prussian history, there is not a great deal of i) recognizing manpower limitations on the army or ii) conceding defeat gracefully.
b) Hannover is large enough and well-connected enough to resist Prussian blandishments and/or threats. I'm not sure that the same can be said for Hesse.
c) Ceding Belgian independence means Prussia loses its port on the Atlantic.

As I said in my earlier posts, Belgium may, in the end, win its independence. I think, however, that it may be an existential crisis for Prussia - if Belgium were to break free of Prussia, so too would the remainder of Prussia's western territories, as the Prussian army attempted to play whack-a-mole with the various revolts.

I still think a violent supression of Belgian nationalism is more likely.

TB-EI

Fair enough, however:

a) If one looks at Prussian history, there is not a great deal of i) recognizing manpower limitations on the army or ii) conceding defeat gracefully.
b) Hannover is large enough and well-connected enough to resist Prussian blandishments and/or threats. I'm not sure that the same can be said for Hesse.
c) Ceding Belgian independence means Prussia loses its port on the Atlantic.

As I said in my earlier posts, Belgium may, in the end, win its independence. I think, however, that it may be an existential crisis for Prussia - if Belgium were to break free of Prussia, so too would the remainder of Prussia's western territories, as the Prussian army attempted to play whack-a-mole with the various revolts.

I still think a violent supression of Belgian nationalism is more likely.

TB-EI
What does anyone else think?

Personally, I still think my Belgian scenario is reasonable.

I think that Belgium can gain independence, at this point, whereas the other western provinces of Prussia probably can't. Here's my reasoning.

1) Belgium has never been part of "Germany", it has always been part of the "Low Lands". Whereas Rheinprovinz and Westfalen have always been part of "Germany". Thus Prussia is more foreign to the former than the latter.
2) partly as a result of the above, foreign intervention (in particular Netherlandish) is quite plausible in Belgium's case, but not in the other provinces'.
3) Belgium is pretty much all RC, where the other provinces aren't. Which under Protestant Prussia is a problem.

As for Prussia losing it's Atlantic port. Umm.. What difference does it really make at this point? there is no land connection between Belgium and Prussia, except through unfriendly territories. And land connexions before rail were mostly too expensive for shipping. SO, any merchant shipping from Prussia will already use a Baltic port just to get stuff to Antwerp - so why stop there? And for use as a naval port, well, do they really want to make an open challenge against the RN?

IF I'm to make this work do I have to 1) have the new, liberal government of France under Louis Phillippe actually intervene rather than just threaten to; and/or 2) have Denmark refuse passage to Prussian warships and troop transports?

Or do people think that the Prussians would, in fact, go to war with most of the rest of Germany, possibly with England and France on the side of Hannover and Belgium?

I will admit that Europe isn't my strong suit, and a bunch of this post is a result of recent reading. Although, I've had independent Belgium in mind for a long time.

Also, it would be nice if Prussia could end up being not quite so dominating...

What does anyone else think?

Personally, I still think my Belgian scenario is reasonable.

I think that Belgium can gain independence, at this point, whereas the other western provinces of Prussia probably can't. Here's my reasoning.

1) Belgium has never been part of "Germany", it has always been part of the "Low Lands". Whereas Rheinprovinz and Westfalen have always been part of "Germany". Thus Prussia is more foreign to the former than the latter.
2) partly as a result of the above, foreign intervention (in particular Netherlandish) is quite plausible in Belgium's case, but not in the other provinces'.
3) Belgium is pretty much all RC, where the other provinces aren't. Which under Protestant Prussia is a problem.

As for Prussia losing it's Atlantic port. Umm.. What difference does it really make at this point? there is no land connection between Belgium and Prussia, except through unfriendly territories. And land connexions before rail were mostly too expensive for shipping. SO, any merchant shipping from Prussia will already use a Baltic port just to get stuff to Antwerp - so why stop there? And for use as a naval port, well, do they really want to make an open challenge against the RN?

IF I'm to make this work do I have to 1) have the new, liberal government of France under Louis Phillippe actually intervene rather than just threaten to; and/or 2) have Denmark refuse passage to Prussian warships and troop transports?

Or do people think that the Prussians would, in fact, go to war with most of the rest of Germany, possibly with England and France on the side of Hannover and Belgium?

I will admit that Europe isn't my strong suit, and a bunch of this post is a result of recent reading. Although, I've had independent Belgium in mind for a long time.

Also, it would be nice if Prussia could end up being not quite so dominating...

I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't thought this through, but I would say:

a) Ceding territory, even if it isn't part of "German" Prussia, implies weakness and would probably be the absolute last resort - as I said above, I think the Prussian army would be ordered to play whack-a-mole with Belguim and Rheinprovinz until defeat appeared inevitable, at which point, both may be lost to Prussia.

b) Can the Netherlands maintain plausible deniability? Openly supporting a rebellion, even in a "foreign" part of Prussia, could be taken as a causus belli - are the Netherlands that confident that they could attract enough allies / protectors that Prussia would not retalliate?

c) While Prussia is in no position to challenge the RN now, they would probably appreciate having a port that is not vulnerable to blockade by Denmark, as you mention above.

I appreciate that Prussia being less dominant is a (minor) goal of TTL; I just don't think it happens without a conflict involving one of the Great Powers as a minimum.

The Great Powers would, almost certainly, intervene to prevent Prussia from retaking an independent Belgium. Whether they're willing to do so in order to allow it to gain its independence is another matter. I'm not so sure.

Plus, I do think that Prussia could, between carrots and sticks, cajole / bully Hesse into permitting troops to cross their territory. Whether this is enough (I can't tell from the map you referred to in your earlier post) to allow reinforcements into Belgium, I don't know.

Finally, I do like the idea of a major influx of Walloons into Canada / the Viceroyality.

My apologies for distracting you on a minor point in this TL.

TB-EI

Remind us, how exactly did Prussia of all states get control of Belgium in the first place? Given all the liabilities you've mentioned?

Well IIRC, the post-Napoleonic peace conference, whatever that was called, was already butterflied. The British were able to recruit Royalist French troops, many of whom later settled in Canada--no, wait, quite a few had already done so, after an earlier phase of the Napoleonic Wars. The French troops were recruited back before Napoleon took power in fact IIRC, against the Republic, in the Vendee or one of those peasant-pro-Bourbon revolts. I forget whether most of them were still mustered in after Napoleon took power and how much fighting they did against him, but well before 1812 a lot of them, their families, and a bunch of other French refugees, including lots of priests, settled in Canada so they were there to fight the Yankees in the War of 1812. (Logically any who re-enlisted or were carried through all the way to Nappy's defeat would have simply resettled in France I guess!) Anyway things were different that last year, including Napoleon's suicide. Why your Euro-advisors figured this would lead to Prussia getting hold of Belgium rather than someplace farther east they'd prefer, I hope makes sense to you!

I can see the use of an Atlantic port that doesn't connect by land to the rest of Prussian territory. The Prussians would not be thinking mainly of trade, I'd think, and if they were they'd be thinking of the Lowlands being a trade emporium and they skim taxes and tariffs off of it. The military use is to keep a fleet in being, kept supplied by Lowland resources (or what they can acquire through trade).

What's a fleet for? They obviously would be foolish to rattle boarding knives (in lieu of sabres!) at the RN. Prussia had no overseas colonies, they wouldn't be arguing the need to protect their own commerce since the RN handles most of that (except for people they are at war with, who need a much bigger navy and much longer naval tradition than Prussia has to hold their own at sea anyway). It's nice to have a navy of your own for stuff like shuttling ambassadors to overseas posts in style and dignity I guess. And not entirely unreasonable to argue that there might be regions and routes the RN does not routinely patrol and does not reliably protect shipping in, which the Prussians (or their Lowlander subjects) happen to be interested in trading in or sailing through, but that's mighty far-fetched.

So unless the Prussians have the ambition of becoming something of a naval power, presumably because they have the ambition of becoming a colonial one, they only need any sort of naval base for business the Lowlanders themselves might be getting up to.

Having a bit of a Navy with an Atlantic base gives them some striking power in a mainly land war with someone who has an Atlantic coast. Again the British might wonder aloud, wouldn't they, as Prussia's naval ally, handle the shellings and "descents" and so forth, while the Prussians handle land war, and if they need troops transported somewhere their British allies would of course happily oblige? Silence as an answer might fill in for "what if we aren't allies." And then we're back to Prussia versus the Royal Navy on the high seas and the folly thereof.

Not remembering what your Euro-advisers were smoking when they suggested Belgium would be Prussian, I'm guessing that it was just some piece of territory that got shuffled their way because some other piece they got OTL (and would have wanted more) got allocated to someone else instead, for reasons that ought to be carefully reconsidered. I guess it's too late to retcon it away! Or the reasons may be good, I think it would do us some good now to be reminded of what they were though. As they would have some bearing on how the Prussians feel about hanging on now.

There can be no question that having been dealt Belgium, it would be one thing for them to trade it off for something else, but quite another for them to simply lose it to an insurrection. They'd probably rather see some other power march in and seize it than surrender it peacefully or after minimal resistance to a local uprising. They'd fight said other power with everything they had of course, but might be amenable to horsetrading it at the peace table. They'd only acknowledge a secessionist regime if all the forces they had in place or get there, by land or sea, were defeated. And if they were prevented from moving troops in, by land or sea, whoever frustrated them, though perhaps they would not immediately go to war with them on the issue, would be noted as an enemy. Such judgements are subject to revision for expedient reasons of course! But if the Danes for instance refused transit of Prussian troopships, they'd be on mighty thin ice. Same for the intervening land powers; either they'd better be prepared for Prussia and whatever coalition it can muster to fight them at the first excuse, or have other diplomatic cards to play to deter the Prussians or induce them into alliance for some other reason.

The overview you've given us is that the Prussians seem on the whole weaker than OTL by this time; they've failed to assemble as strong a coalition in Germany itself, and stronger ones are ranged against them than OTL as well. So the land powers need not fear Prussian wrath perhaps, or have better reasons to think that the Prussians will need them more than they need Prussian goodwill, and so could be defiant. I'd need a map and some paragraphs describing the recent diplomatic history and current inclinations of the other German powers to visualize how they might affect the Danish position. From what I'm remembering of German geography it does sound like strong members of strong coalitions stand between the Prussians and anything that can be construed as "Danish." So the Danes too could probably afford to close their passages. Though I gather sometime in the 19th century, Danish straits were declared international waters by a conference of the Great Powers on the Baltic and North Sea, including the British. If this has already happened it is a clearly hostile strike against Prussia to single out only her ships as barred from passage!

With Prussia weaker, having less revenue on the whole and needing to keep more of her troops on the borders of what she has in Germany itself, and quite a lot of them tied down fighting German insurgencies, it might be that even if Denmark stays completely neutral and lets them ship whatever they like to Antwerp, conceivably the Prussians just don't have enough to win. But they'd try I'd think, with whatever they could possibly spare.

Because if Prussia is weaker in Germany itself, then Lowland revenues are all the more important, not to mention the prestige blow of losing Belgium will fall on an already fragile and cracking reputation.

Frankly, it looked to me like that's the plan, isn't it? Prussia is going down in this timeline, it will at best retain the sort of dignity Baden, or perhaps if they are lucky, Bavaria, did OTL. And other German powers will be behind any German unification, or conceivably not all of Germany will ever get united. Conceivably even the place stays pretty much divided up into modern times?

Clearly if Prussia is already on the ropes, from having failed to get the right territorial gains from the post-Napoleonic peace or from missteps taken since then, then losing Belgium can be the knockout blow.

Now I'm wondering, what is Britain's interest in all this? It is a classic maxim that Britain seeks to prevent any one nation from predominating in Europe. Note too that Britain has just been rather seriously distracted by a war in America; I've got to wonder what the other nations of Europe might have gotten up to.

I've been sort of mindlessly assuming that Britain would not be on the Prussian side--either disinterested completely or perhaps tending to side with a rival coalition, mainly observing that Hanover is not in the Prussian coalition and presumably therefore somewhat against it.

Reading up on the history of Hannover (Kingdom, House, region) over at Wikipedia sheds rather little light on the nature of British interests and interventions in German politics between the Napoleonic wars and the rise of Prussian supremacy. I note that Prussia was often no ally of Britain, whereas while the direct personal union of UK and Hannover was sundered OTL by the accession of Victoria to the British throne but not the Hannoverian one (and in this timeline by this one's female British monarch, around the same time) still the Hannoverian royal family was the same family, and I have to wonder what sort of actions might have been considered in London when the Prussians declared war on Hannover in 1866. My impression is, by and large few Britons cared one way or the other by then, and from Thande's remarks in his timeline I gather that Hannover and Britain had a pretty arms-length relationship long before the Personal Union formally ended.

So, will Britain be pleased to see Prussia slide toward second-class power or even lower? Will they favor the rise of a northwestern German center of power, and look benignly on it perhaps wrapping up all of Germany, or even just northern Germany, over the next generation or so? Or is it possible that that at this point the British will feel Prussia needs to be kept on and German unification should be checked? Will they want a strong Germany to arise, as a check on France? Or what?

As with the case of how slavery bears on the internal politics of the USA ITTL, I hesitate to venture an opinion since it would bear very heavily on what Dathi wants or expects to happen next. and I'm a lot more ignorant of the nuances of inter-German state and dynastic politics than I am of the basic social dynamics of the USA!

It's not inconceivable that Hannover and Britain are quite estranged by now, possibly because the northwest Germans may have been making moves while the British were distracted with the American war. Then again the Hannoverian and British dynasties are still very closely related.

Can Britain be a mediator? Or be expected to come down strongly on the anti-Prussian side, or even on the Prussian one?

Meanwhile I can see several scenarios playing out, even assuming all other nations (except, obviously, the Dutch) scrupulously stay out of what goes on within nominal Prussian borders. It really depends on how much reliable armed force the Prussians can bring to bear versus how much both the West German and the Belgian insurrections can muster.

If they have enough, even after recent reversals relative to OTL, to put down both insurrections than any other result than a restoration of order on Prussian terms requires some kind of foreign intervention. If they have enough but mobility is impeded (it is one thing to meddle in the neighbor's affairs but quite another to open one's borders to giving their troops transit) then Belgium has a chance on their own.

I wonder though if the numbers are such that while the Prussians may be confident they have enough to put down all disorders, they are mistaken.

Say they send a whole lot of troops to Antwerp and clearly have the upper hand in Belgium. But meanwhile they took too many from the Rhineland revolts, and lose there?

Or the more obvious vice versa of course--they fully intend to put the Belgians down but defer reinforcements until they have the more contiguous territories well in hand, and by the time that is finally happening, it's too late in Belgium.

Clearly what Dathi intends is that Belgium go free. I might suggest an alternative, that the Prussian power in Germany itself disintegrates, but with British support, the powers support more or less grudgingly an ongoing Prussian presence in Belgium. To keep the peace I'd think there would have to be a lot of clemency and autonomy.

In exchange for British support aimed at preventing Prussia's position from collapsing completely in Germany itself, the Prussians agree to a pact with London whereby they will by all means keep up their centralizing and militarized institutions (all the more easily having been shorn of recent German acquisitions) and also have British support in keeping power in Belgium which to them would be mainly a cash cow, and in return they won't venture to develop much in the way of sea power, being able to call on Britain to support their interests at sea and overseas. In fact the British can rely on both North German Baltic ports and Belgian ones (ie Antwerp) as de facto RN bases. If ever the British decide to land forces of their own on the Continent, either Antwerp or Prussia's Baltic ports are open to them as long as the alliance lasts, and they can base ships there to their heart's content, ships pledged to protect Prussian-aligned as well as British shipping.

Now Britain would be well and truly entangled on the Continent of course. But they have the Prussians as land forces, and if war should brew with France, the Prussians can ship as many troops as they can spare to Belgium.

An independent Belgium, by contrast, might conceivably take it into their heads to turn their ambitions seaward, being a seafaring people.

----

All right, I've laid out a bunch of wildly contradictory speculative scenarios. It's up to Dathi to decide what's happening in Europe and why; and I hope people with a lot more knowledge than I have of what made all these diverse German realms and their various neighbors tick OTL, and who can take a look at the different hand everyone was dealt in 1814, factor what's happened since, especially this latest American war (which matters mainly insofar as it may have preoccupied British attention--but I can well believe it generally didn't) and advise Dathi on what would and would not fly there.

The timeline's attention may not be focused on Europe, but clearly America will mainly evolve by internal development, until some major European upheaval may or may not involve either Usains and/or Mexicans judging Britain's entanglements might be giving them an opening (and then, in a separate decision, deciding to take the opening) , and may or may not involve some anti-British faction or coalition seeking allies in America. So how Europe is evolving has to be watched!

For what it's worth, I was sort of fascinated by the notion of Belgium as a British port on Prussian soil, but I guess the most plausible thing is, Britain does nothing for or against Prussia, the northwest Germans prevail and even if Prussia can manage to crack the rebellions, I'd think in the long run Prussian hegemony is on the rocks. Trying to hold both territories down will bleed them, and leave two regions that OTL became major industrial ones sitting on the sidelines economically (due to local initiative being suspect and suppressed whereas Prussia won't have a lot to invest themselves and third parties will be scared to invest in such an unstable environment.

More likely, the Prussians lose in one or both territories, and are left to their own resources and ingenuity to figure out how to stop their downward spiral. And Belgium winds up independent sooner or later.

Hmmm....
@Shevek
1)Øresund being international waters. Have to check that out. Don't ever remember hearing of that. Will have to check it out.
2) Britain 'just distracted by war'. Ummm... No. The Europe post was 1830, right between the 1st and 2nd Anglo-US wars.
3) Why did they get Belgium? I never understood the details, myself, but I accepted expert opinion. And Susano's banned now, so we can't even ask him:(
4) I've now got 2 votes for Prussia not rolling over and playing dead, so I'm going to rethink this a bit.
5) your point on Prussia wanting Antwerp to be able to skim profits from trade makes a lot of sense. It might even be the answer to 3.
6) Hannover. William, the most whiggish (i.e. liberal) of the brothers (as I understand it) has just ascended the throne of Hannover, iTTL. iOTL, that was the case too, but he also ascended the throne of the UK at the same time, so wasn't bothering with Hannover much.
7) Prussian power. My assumption was that Prussian power at the beginning of 1830 was about the same as OTL, or a tad stronger. The problem with Belgium in particular is that it is physically separated from the rest of Prussia, and their main power base will be in Prussia, proper. Also, of the 3 significant western provinces, iTTL, Belgium will be VERY unhappy, Rhine Province reasonably unhappy, and Westphalia? ?? So, IF they can't get soldiers from the east to crush the revolt, the revolt in Belgium ought to succeed with Dutch backing. This would NOT be a collapse of Prussian power, but, perhaps, the start of a decline - first crack in the wall.
8) Balance of power. At this point, the Prussian/Austrian war of 1866 of iOTL hasn't happened. IIRC, everyone expected Austria to win, and were astonished when Prussia did. So... I don't think there's any sort of Hegemon here that Britain would worry about. AFAIK, we have Prussia, Austria, France and Russia as really major military powers.

@BEI
1) Hmmm... my scenario was predicated on Hesse being bold and saying no. Your point about threats/bribes, etc. is very cogent. I'll have to think about that.
2) Hesse. There's Hesse-Kassel and Hesse-Nassau at least. Honestly, I forget which one it was. I may have to look that up. And check rulers and stuff.
3) Great power involvement. Hmmm... Ja, we might have to have French armies marching in....
4) Belgian international support. 1830 was a big year. England, France and (iTTL) Hannover have all moved in a liberal direction this year (Charlotte, Louis-Phillippe, William), and would be VERY interested in supporting a liberal change in Belgium. Would they send troops? Would France's slightly shaky political situation allow it? Hmmm...

@Everyone.
Post 1848, I don't see a way to avoid a France-Prussia-Russia coalition, iTTL. If that happened, and Prussia was as strong as iOTL, they OWN Europe. Nugax has already pointed out this is a problem. If we can get a 'Rest of Germany' that, combined with Austria and the Ottomans can hold those three powers in check, then life is a lot ... fairer? If 'RoG' is nibbled away by Prussia and ADDs to its strength, rather than weakening it, we may have no hope for balance.

I think I will revisit this whole thing in a bit, but we've got LOTS of other stuff, mostly still unwritten, to deal with. Such as the (not)Opium War(s), the Potato Famine, 1848, Transcontinental RRs, Suez and Nicaragua Canals, building of that continental anti-Delian coalition, etc.

Part of the problem is that until we have a good idea what happened in 1830 (which I should have covered BEFORE the latest war, I know), we don't know what's going to happen in 1848.

(and then we have South America and ...)

Last edited:
Well, will there ever be a united Germany?
Define "united", define "Germany". OTL, we had a Kleinlösung rather than a Großlösung. What I'm hoping for, circa 1848 is a Kleinerlösung, as it were, OK, maybe Kleinstlösung. The problem is if you include neither Prussia nor Austria, but have everyone else, which is what I'd like to try for, does that count? I'd certainly say it could legitimately call itself "Deutsches Reich", but "United Germany" would be a bit of a stretch.

We'll see. One of the points of whole Belgian independence controversy was to knock the Prussians down a peg, and the anti-Prussians up one, which is the only way to avoid "Germany" =Prussia on steroids, as OTL.

Edit: keeping the non-Prussian Steuer- and Handels- vereinen, as opposed to everyone being swallowed up in Prussian Zollverein is a step in that direction, which is what that came up.

Edit2: actually one of the reasons for that post was to check plausibility. I thought I'd worked stuff through enough, but I wanted to see what people thought. Thanks everybody for the replies.

Last edited:
Oh dear. I failed to pay attention to the fact that all this was happening in 1830 and within a few years after!:eek: Seeing it posted after the whole American war had come and gone and not bothering to think about the dates liberally sprinkled through the post, I was thinking it was happening 15 years later than it did.

Which fortunately has little bearing on anything I said except the stuff about Britain being distracted.

The reason William is ruling Hannover very actively is that it's all he's got, with his sister being Queen in Britain. I'd think the British would tend to veer in whatever direction Hannover favors regarding German politics at that point because the two monarchs are such close kin. Which might not matter much to Parliament and Prime Ministers but I'd think it's easier to stay on top of British politics with a happier monarch to deal with, so if royal preferences also happened to be sensible national policy the Queen gets an informal, unofficial and plausibly denied deciding vote if there's a close division.

No, 1830 is much too early to be foreseeing Prussian hegemony and the portents of the Great War! Besides I'd think most Britons would assume if there were a Great War scheduled for the early 20th century that Prussia and Britain would be on the same side, or anyway it would be a coin flip--I don't think there was a lot of animosity.

Prussia was an ally of Napoleon of course and were involved in deposing George III from the throne of Hannover, as far as Napoleonic writ, which ran things in Hannover until 1814, was concerned anyway. (George III never acknowledged losing the throne, and was awarded it back at the Conference of Vienna). By the time Napoleon went down both OTL and ITTL, the Prussians had changed sides.

I think if you want Belgium to split off, that's a plausible enough result; a lot of my thinking that meant Prussia goes down completely was based on thinking their position had been weakening for some 15 years longer than you were saying.

I'm not sure they looked all that strong in 1830 OTL. The biggest German realm after Austria, but not the obvious nucleus of a Pan-German state.
----
Ok I went fishing in the old posts and found the post where you announced Prussia gets Belgium (It's number 377, October 27 2009!). Here's a Map of post-settlement Europe ITTL by Thande, who also posted one of OTL for comparison in the next post.

For a couple days after this the European situation was the main buzz of the thread, then I guess it has been largely forgotten for something like 2 1/2 years, the chief architects and advocates of this settlement now long banned. It is interesting to read over the comments over the next couple pages, then the timeline shifts back to its main focus in America and unless someone else remembers another flare-up of the discussion there it rested.

I note, comparing the two maps, that in addition to Belgium, which was contiguous with some northwestern German territory the Prussians had, the Prussians also get another Atlantic port, a little blob of gray on Thande's map I don't believe was ever discussed; is it Bremen? OTL they didn't get that yet, maybe not until 1866. At least it's German, and Protestant. Maybe that's apocryphal?

Also Austria, unlike OTL, retains various blobs of middle Rhenish territory.

Dathi at the time remarked that he foresaw an ideological split, based on the fact that victory over Napoleon did not require the close orchestration of all the Coalition powers at Waterloo, so the various victorious parties rather quickly diverged toward a state he characterized as "Cold War." Russia and Prussia tending to band together as absolutist states, Austria remaining attached to the more liberal powers for some time but eventually switching sides.

Now those Austrian blobs are kind of interesting in this context. Also of course having got Word of God like that on where this is all tending (Dathi could of course have changed his mind on the subject in the past two years plus!) that Prussian blob, that I'm guessing is Bremen, is rather awkwardly situated from the point of view of northwest Germans resisting Prussian attempts at hegemony!

Dathi having said (long ago) that it will be a liberal vs absolutist split, greatly reinforces the idea that Britain will favor Hannover out of sentimental and perhaps very shrewd reasons. Hannover is the fourth biggest German realm, counting Austria as one--Austria, Prussia, Bavaria, then Hannover. And we're being told now Hannover is in the middle of the schemes to form an alternative to a Prussian-dominated Zollverein. William is king there and is focused on that realm, his sister Charlotte having survived and preceded him to the British throne. The path to unify Prussia's western possessions to the main body in the east lies either right through Hannover, or getting control of that odd little realm painted white on Thande's map that separates the main body of Hannover in the north from a detached piece south of it; I'm guessing that's one of the Hesses. Prussia gaining it outright, or just getting a strong sway over it, would be inconvenient for Hannover! (But maybe not implausible; it isn't clear to me why it wasn't merged into Hannover in the first place, presumably because its ruling house would object! If it stands aloof from Hannover that might suggest a history of rivalry that might turn them very naturally to a Prussian alliance?)

Meanwhile the coalition, which both from looking at the map and because I happen to sort of know where Oldenburg is, is indeed a Northwest German one, one that might be characterized loosely as an Alliance of the Lower Rhine.

OTL, Berlin itself became a major industrial area, and Silesia (which ITTL the Austrians get instead of the Prussians, much to the dismay of many commentators) with its coal and iron resources, was important, but by and large the heart of German commercialism and industrialism was along or near the Rhine I believe. So a coalition commanding the mouth of the Rhine and the lower river region would I think be pretty much a natural for early adoption of industrialism--not as much, as early, as I believe Belgium was OTL. But by the 1830s I think these very regions were indeed beginning to industrialize (and the personal experiences of it shaped the characters of both Karl Marx and Friedreich Engels).

So if this part of Germany can be seen to be getting its act together, under the liberal guidance of monarchs like William, if perchance William's silver tongue has persuaded his neighbor monarchs (presumably not always easy to get to band together, otherwise the region would have been united long before and not fallen piecemeal to Prussian expansion) to agree on parallel rules for commerce and industry (that is, the Steuerverein), the region collectively could become very attractive for British commerce and investment, firming up the sentimental tendency to ally with them. Or at least favor them. Of course the coalition is also forming around a nervous eye on Prussia which (up to 1830 anyway) flanks them on three sides (counting that ambiguous blob on the North Sea!) Again I'd think that even nascent commercial prosperity forms a tax base on which to build a respectable coalition army. Dash and elan might be provided by persuading the various Hesses to get on board--OTL and since I'm talking about the 18th century here, one or more of them were famous as the home of mercenaries, which is where George III got the "Hessians" the American revolutionaries were fighting.

Is it crazy for me to think this coalition might be organized with an eye toward the US Constitution--which, being a pro-British and presumably eventually Delian coalition, would say looked actually to the New England Constitution:p--with William setting the minds of the various other ruling houses at ease with institutions analogous to the Senate, where the "Senators" are the monarchs, in principle in person, more usually their hand-picked ministers, and a careful checking and balancing of the various principalities with reasonably strong coalitional powers? Perhaps the "chief executive" being a commoner (or at any rate, non-royal noble) minister chosen by the monarchs in committee, to avoid the question of which king and house is the supreme one of the coalition. In principle, it isn't a union like the United States (of OTL, if you accept the views of people like Abraham Lincoln that I do that Americans are one people, sovereignty derives from all the American people together and not from the states) but more like what the State's Rightists say the USA should be--the various realms are indeed separately sovereign, they've just pledged to a compact of convenience that I'd rather hope accretes into a de facto unbreakable union, but one where the princely states within it remain distinct. But irrevocably pledged to work together!

Dunno if William would dare to have such a vision in his lifetime, but if he and the majority of other northwest German sovereigns get used to working together for mutual benefit it might seem inevitable in hindsight. And eminently liberal and progressive!

OK, now such a coalition will clearly stick in the Prussian, and perhaps even Austrian, craw on ideological grounds, and is a clear roadblock to Prussian ambition (even on a small scale, not imputing Bismarckian vision to anyone there yet). Conflict is inherent.

We're told there was an uprising in the Prussian "Rhine province." What is the Rhine province? It looks to me, looking at Thande's map, that it is most likely to be the eastern part of the block of land that is Prussia's Western detached territory including Belgium. If that's the case, they are in danger of losing the whole block at once, to have it split up, part of it becoming Dutch-supported Belgium, part of it becoming nominally independent German principality or principalities--but any such would be obvious and natural candidates for membership in the Steuerverein coalition!

Is the Rhine province instead that sort of diamond-shaped other detached bit just barely touching on the main Prussian territories somewhat to the southeast?

Meanwhile what happens to the Prussian bit on the North Sea, and for that matter what of the Austrian holdings in the southern part of northwest Germany?

The initial Steuerverein confederation seems likely to be very much Protestant. However, with a federal rather than absolutist structure of union, presumably there will be little problem admitting Catholic principalities; religion is clearly a matter for the separate realms, there's no need to proclaim one church predominant over the whole as there would be on a Prussian or even British model; if there were one monarch that monarch's confession would confer a special status on that denomination and raise all the issues of religious establishment so lively in British politics, and indeed that is still happening locally in each realm, but for the coalition, in the liberal and progressive spirit, these things need not matter on the level of the whole. De facto, religious minorities in each realm would enjoy some protection and advocacy from princes of their own faith or near it ruling other realms, so everyone plays nice.

So, perhaps in the early 1830s, the Steuerverein confederation wins a decisive victory (with no declaration of war and no exchange of fire between Prussians and uniformed members of the coalition armies though there may be clandestine aid on a substantial level) and costs Prussia everything in the west. Belgium not being German they bid the Belgians a fond farewell in the care of their Dutch neighbors, grab up the eastern part, that is the more German part, as a new realm or many smaller ones who join the Steuerverein, and maybe even persuade the Bremeners or whatever that North Sea blob is to throw out the Prussians too. This makes the Prussians angry, but the British are backing the Rhein-mouth side and the Prussians don't reckon they'd better go to war. But now there's pressure on the Austrian possessions in the region. How realistic is it that the Steuerverein can negotiate trade policy agreements and friendly terms with the Austrians? In another timeline I'd want to pursue that maybe, but here we're foretold the Austrians will break from their liberal erstwhile allies and line up with the Prussians and Russians. The Steuerverein disrupting their hold on those northern possessions and then scooping them up as new members, perhaps their first substantially Catholic ones, would certainly be a plausible turning point.

The upshot is a small but economically dynamic liberal northwest German power. It's small on the geographical scale of the sprawling Austrian domains, or OTL Prussian-built German Empire, or compared to France. But compared to nations like Denmark, the Netherlands, or Belgium it's quite a respectable size already. Who knows how far up the Rhine they might reach, if they do a fair job integrating Catholic realms into the coalition? Bavaria and that smaller kingdom to the west of it (I think that's Baden-Wurtemburg, right? But then I can't identify the one to the west of that at all--is that BW, and between them is Swabia?) might hang on to independence indefinitely, if they are determined not to be subordinated by Austria. The Prussians will be scheming to put a stop to Steuerverein expansion but they are at a disadvantage the farther the latter reaches south, into Catholic country. They might also try a revanchist frontal assault on the northwest German heartland of the movement sometime by and by, but by then I'd hope the confederation will have proven its worth, and with economic development and the growth of a sort of collective patriotic sentiment for the alliance, the northwesterners defend themselves creditably, leading to a firming up of the borders, Steuerverein NW Germany increasingly seen as a unified nation on one side and Prussia consolidating itself as NE Germany on the other; to the South the Austrians are contained by their OTL borders with Bavaria.

Perhaps the absolutist East, with Austria increasingly firming up it's long-term alliance with Prussia and their borders being settled once for all too, manages its own approach to industrial development. I'm picturing Prussia developing a form of top-down state capitalism, not entirely unlike the manner Russia developed but somewhat more effective due to Germany's higher degree of development.

If Austria is increasingly on the "wrong side" from the British point of view, I guess the British wind up supporting Italian ambitions against Austria, whether or not that implies Italian unification.

It seems to me that if we have an Emperor's bloc to the East (except the King of Prussia would be seen as very presumptuous to call himself an Emperor!)--well I don't think that's enough for the sort of Grand Alliance shenanigans that can lead to a Great War. Perhaps France somehow follows a course that brings her in on the Prussian-Russian-Austrian side? The Germany France might be worried about would be Steuerverein Germany!

This is a rather grim long-term prospect for the plucky and rich Northwest Germans, since on the scale of 20th century campaigns analogous to ours, they lack strategic depth, up against both France and the combined vastness of Russia, Austria and Prussia!

The trenches of a GW analog, assuming military tech is at the trench-war level by then would most likely be on NW German soil.:eek:

The USA by the way, I don't see having a lot of opportunities to get tempted into "playing" at territorial nibbling while the British cat's away--because while if the Prussians can indeed develop economically, and perhaps help Russia and Austria do better economically than they did OTL while they are at it, they can field some pretty massive military hammers to swing at the Steuerverein, I don't see any of them developing a navy worth mentioning. Combined Prussian/Russian enterprise might manage to build a lot of ships based in the eastern Baltic and fire them like a shell out of a cannon at Steuerverein-allied forces in the west Baltic and maybe even fight their way past Denmark somehow into the North Sea, but then they'd be up against the RN. Presumably in southeast Europe, the liberal powers will seek to check Russian and eventually Austrian ambition, which would tend to progress first against the Turks and then as a scramble for hegemony over any countries taken from the Turks. But if Russians and Austrians, backed by Prussian industrial production (and increasingly developing their own) can coordinate their campaigns, I think we can see them prevailing despite British, Steuerverein, and who knows who else helping their foes. Say the Black Sea becomes a Russian lake, and even that they get control of Constantinople and the whole Bosporus, what then? Again they can fire fleets like shells out of a gun into the Aegean, to confront the RN there. Can the Austrians, against the opposition of the British and their friends (including anti-Austrian Italians) get a naval base on the Adriatic, and again force anything out of its narrow waters into the wider Med?

Well, maybe I've outlined the eventual Great War--a massive clash in northwest Germany, Austrians trying to push west to the south, and the attempted naval breakout on three fronts coordinated to stretch British naval resources to the limit and try to sap their strength to aid the Steuerverein Germans.

What about Denmark by the way? My "source" on the opening of Danish waters, by the way, is an offhand remark by a not-entirely-reliable narrator in Poul Anderson's The Corridors of Time. From what I remember of it, it probably happened fairly late in the 19th century. ITTL, the Steuerverein will be relying on British help if they get into serious naval difficulties.

If Denmark can be attracted to ally with the Steuerverein, or even conceivably join it, and if they stay reliably affiliated with the British, I guess Britain will uphold Danish claims of sovereignty over the waters, as long as it's understood that as friends of Britain the RN will be waved through whenever they want.

If on the other hand Denmark for some reason winds up opposed to Steuerverein, and thus tending to link up with the Prussians and/or Russians (and in lots of threads, people remark that the Danes were generally very accommodating of the Russians OTL) then it might get uglier. Then again, it's the Prussians and Russians who need the straits open; Steuerverein ports include some on the Atlantic side and that's the way trade will probably tend to flow.

If the Prussians and Russians have a lot of wealth (maybe not on a per capita basis, but Russia has a lot of heads to count; Prussia I suspect could keep pace with Western Europe, or anyway be not too far behind in general terms and neck-and-neck as far as high tech military hardware goes) to offer an absolutist Danish king, and the Danes still resent British high-handedness during the Napoleonic wars, and fear Steuerverein ambitions on their southern border, can we see the eastern Baltic powers subsidizing Danish shore defenses to the point that the RN can't force their way through? Then the Baltic absolutist domains might well dominate the Baltic--presumably the Steuerverein would respond with building its own Baltic fleet, and seeking alliance with Sweden--even if the Swedes can't trade through the Danish straits they can in time of peace trade across the Baltic to eastern Steuerverein ports, which puts them in contact with global trade via their western ports.

So maybe even without France, the eastern absolutist alliance can indeed present itself as a credible rival to the RN on the high seas. If they are convincing enough, can they entice foolhardy Usans to join them in a grand breakout?

Even if France evolves more or less as OTL into a liberal republic, it conceivably could wind up allied with these Eastern powers against Britain and Steuerverein. Say the Steuerverein entices some or all of Alsace and maybe bits of Loraine to secede from France and join them, while France is in some terrible internal crisis. But the French won't be revanchist against a powerful Imperial Germany that is surpassing them in industrial might and sheer population; the Germany they hate would be much thinner and weaker, and have on its east both Prussia and Russia! If the French can keep the Belgians and Spanish neutral and hold their own against Italy, while defending her shores against RN landings, they can concentrate on the German front.

By the way, it might be just as likely the revanchism is on the other side--if France is fairly strong during the "scramble for the heart of Germany" period, when Steuerverein schemes against joint Prussian/Austrian ambitions to scoop up the smaller German states east of France, the French might intervene and wind up claiming stuff east of the Rhine.

@BEI
3) Great power involvement. Hmmm... Ja, we might have to have French armies marching in....
4) Belgian international support. 1830 was a big year. England, France and (iTTL) Hannover have all moved in a liberal direction this year (Charlotte, Louis-Phillippe, William), and would be VERY interested in supporting a liberal change in Belgium. Would they send troops? Would France's slightly shaky political situation allow it? Hmmm...

Of course, if iTTL, French & Dutch involvement gets to the point of troops crossing the borders, who's to say that there would still be a Belgium afterwards? France and the Netherlands would , IMO, be just as inclined to annex Wallonia / Flanders to their respective territories, if a suitable division could be reached.

I think only British intervention permits an independent Belgium in 1830, and I don't see it happening quite yet. Would they welcome and protect an independent Belgium once it emerged? Undoubtedly. Will they act to bring it into being? As Britain and Prussia are, at this time, at worst somewhat cool to each other, I'm not convinced.

@Everyone.
Post 1848, I don't see a way to avoid a France-Prussia-Russia coalition, iTTL. If that happened, and Prussia was as strong as iOTL, they OWN Europe. Nugax has already pointed out this is a problem. If we can get a 'Rest of Germany' that, combined with Austria and the Ottomans can hold those three powers in check, then life is a lot ... fairer? If 'RoG' is nibbled away by Prussia and ADDs to its strength, rather than weakening it, we may have no hope for balance.

I think I will revisit this whole thing in a bit, but we've got LOTS of other stuff, mostly still unwritten, to deal with. Such as the (not)Opium War(s), the Potato Famine, 1848, Transcontinental RRs, Suez and Nicaragua Canals, building of that continental anti-Delian coalition, etc.

Part of the problem is that until we have a good idea what happened in 1830 (which I should have covered BEFORE the latest war, I know), we don't know what's going to happen in 1848.

(and then we have South America and ...)

Well, iTTL, you have Hannover much stronger. If you can arrange an alliance between Hannover and Bavaria, that could be the basis for the Kleinstdeutchland that you refer to in a later post. Prussia, will, however, probably pick up at least some of the other territories.

I have some further thoughts, but I'm typing this in an airport lounge and have to leave for my flight...

TB-EI

Last edited:

No, 1830 is much too early to be foreseeing Prussian hegemony and the portents of the Great War!
Hegemony over Germany, clearly visible. Over Europe, correct. OTOH, a far sighted statesman might see what harnessing Prussian militarism with PanGerman population and industry might lead to, and want to prevent that. But, ja, 'far sighted statesman' is almost an oxymoron.

Besides I'd think most Britons would assume if there were a Great War scheduled for the early 20th century that Prussia and Britain would be on the same side, or anyway it would be a coin flip--I don't think there was a lot of animosity.
Maybe. OTL, having Vicky's kids and grandkids on most of the thrones of Europe really affected the dynamics of the situation in a way that just won't happen iTTL. Certainly, there wasn't any particular animosity. But I don't think there was any especial friendship.

I do think that Hannover and some of the other states are already getting pretty leery of the looming might of Prussia, but that's a bit different.

Prussia was an ally of Napoleon of course and were involved in deposing George III from the throne of Hannover, as far as Napoleonic writ, which ran things in Hannover until 1814, was concerned anyway. (George III never acknowledged losing the throne, and was awarded it back at the Conference of Vienna). By the time Napoleon went down both OTL and ITTL, the Prussians had changed sides.
The amount of side-switching that happened over the course of the ?6? distinct coalitions against Napoleon means that almost nobody can throw stones. If Britain tried to, they'd just alienate all their potential allies.
I'm not sure they looked all that strong in 1830 OTL. The biggest German realm after Austria, but not the obvious nucleus of a Pan-German state.
just look at the expanse of Prussian grey metastasizing across Germany...

Ok I went fishing in the old posts and found the post where you announced Prussia gets Belgium (It's number 377, October 27 2009!). Here's a Map of post-settlement Europe ITTL by Thande, who also posted one of OTL for comparison in the next post.
I THOUGHT I'd already posted that link. If I didn't, I apologize, and thank you.
I note, comparing the two maps, that in addition to Belgium, which was contiguous with some northwestern German territory the Prussians had, the Prussians also get another Atlantic port, a little blob of gray on Thande's map I don't believe was ever discussed; is it Bremen? OTL they didn't get that yet, maybe not until 1866. At least it's German, and Protestant. Maybe that's apocryphal?
Ostfriesland / East Frisia

Also Austria, unlike OTL, retains various blobs of middle Rhenish territory.
Ah. Right. So it does. I'm not sure I noticed or properly absorbed that.

Now those Austrian blobs are kind of interesting in this context. Also of course having got Word of God like that on where this is all tending (Dathi could of course have changed his mind on the subject in the past two years plus!) that Prussian blob, that I'm guessing is Bremen, is rather awkwardly situated from the point of view of northwest Germans resisting Prussian attempts at hegemony!
Good point. Still working out details. I'd forgotten that I'd said some of that.
Dathi having said (long ago) that it will be a liberal vs absolutist split, greatly reinforces the idea that Britain will favor Hannover out of sentimental and perhaps very shrewd reasons. Hannover is the fourth biggest German realm, counting Austria as one--Austria, Prussia, Bavaria, then Hannover.
And we're being told now Hannover is in the middle of the schemes to form an alternative to a Prussian-dominated Zollverein.
This OTL. I am trying to make it a bit more successful, is all.
William is king there and is focused on that realm, his sister Charlotte having survived and preceded him to the British throne. The path to unify Prussia's western possessions to the main body in the east lies either right through Hannover, or getting control of that odd little realm painted white on Thande's map that separates the main body of Hannover in the north from a detached piece south of it; I'm guessing that's one of the Hesses.
Having done more research, the belt across the middle is part of Brunswick/Braunschweig
(But maybe not implausible; it isn't clear to me why it wasn't merged into Hannover in the first place, presumably because its ruling house would object! If it stands aloof from Hannover that might suggest a history of rivalry that might turn them very naturally to a Prussian alliance?)
Basically ALL of the German entities had exclaves and enclaves in various places. I need to do more research, but lack of 'obvious' border adjustments need not have any political message.
Meanwhile the coalition, which both from looking at the map and because I happen to sort of know where Oldenburg is, is indeed a Northwest German one, one that might be characterized loosely as an Alliance of the Lower Rhine.
Interesting name/thought
OTL, Berlin itself became a major industrial area, and Silesia (which ITTL the Austrians get instead of the Prussians, much to the dismay of many commentators) with its coal and iron resources, was important, but by and large the heart of German commercialism and industrialism was along or near the Rhine I believe. So a coalition commanding the mouth of the Rhine and the lower river region would I think be pretty much a natural for early adoption of industrialism--not as much, as early, as I believe Belgium was OTL.
Err... but the the big iron and coal resources are more south in those grey Prussian bits, rather than lower down in Hannover. IIRC.
the region collectively could become very attractive for British commerce and investment, firming up the sentimental tendency to ally with them. Or at least favor them.
The British are all in favour of this. Believe me! Whether the locals cooperate....:)
one or more of them were famous as the home of mercenaries, which is where George III got the "Hessians" the American revolutionaries were fighting.
Hesse-Kassel. Turns out to be that blue blob in Thande's map.
cf.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Deutscher_Bund.png

Is it crazy for me to think this coalition might be organized with an eye toward the US Constitution--... with institutions analogous to the Senate, where the "Senators" are the monarchs, in principle in person, more usually their hand-picked ministers, and a careful checking and balancing of the various principalities with reasonably strong coalitional powers?
I'm not sure what the details the Frankfurt Parliament of 1848 came up with, but iTTL it may well be closer to that.
We're told there was an uprising in the Prussian "Rhine province." What is the Rhine province? It looks to me, looking at Thande's map, that it is most likely to be the eastern part of the block of land that is Prussia's Western detached territory including Belgium.
Oops! Undefined terms! Sorry.

Rheinprovinz/Rhine province is basically the lower half of the western grey blob on the second of Thande's maps. Westphalia/Westfalen is the upper bit. (with a couple of exclaves elsewhere)

If that's the case, they are in danger of losing the whole block at once, to have it split up, part of it becoming Dutch-supported Belgium, part of it becoming nominally independent German principality or principalities--but any such would be obvious and natural candidates for membership in the Steuerverein coalition!
The western half of Rhine Province (I assume that's what left bank means) was largely catholic, and is not going to be happy with Prussia. The other half was mixed. I didn't look so closely at Westphalia, but I think it's Protestant/mixed.
Meanwhile what happens to the Prussian bit on the North Sea, and for that matter what of the Austrian holdings in the southern part of northwest Germany?
Gee, you keep coming up with good questions.
The initial Steuerverein confederation seems likely to be very much Protestant. However, with a federal rather than absolutist structure of union, presumably there will be little problem admitting Catholic principalities; religion is clearly a matter for the separate realms, there's no need to proclaim one church predominant over the whole as there would be on a Prussian or even British model;
True. Sure hope so. Don't forget the Protestants are split between Calvinists and Lutherans, too, which USED to be a major problem, although I don't think it is by 18xx.
So, perhaps in the early 1830s, the Steuerverein confederation wins a decisive victory (with no declaration of war and no exchange of fire between Prussians and uniformed members of the coalition armies though there may be clandestine aid on a substantial level) and costs Prussia everything in the west.
Can't see EVERYTHING in the west.
But now there's pressure on the Austrian possessions in the region. How realistic is it that the Steuerverein can negotiate trade policy agreements and friendly terms with the Austrians? In another timeline I'd want to pursue that maybe, but here we're foretold the Austrians will break from their liberal erstwhile allies and line up with the Prussians and Russians.
Interesting, again.

Prussia, Russia and Austria: if any 2 are allied the 3rd will be in the opposite camp, because of conflicting interests. The Dreikaiserbund was a weird aberration, and Napoleon trumped everything, being the two obvious historical exceptions to the 2 of 3 rule.

IF, and I say IF, Austria wanders away from pro-RoG stance, it will likely be because the Prussia/Russia alliance fractures. But that's all some distance in the future. My thoughts now aren't the same as they were 2 years ago...
The Steuerverein disrupting their hold on those northern possessions and then scooping them up as new members, perhaps their first substantially Catholic ones, would certainly be a plausible turning point.
bunch of interesting speculation cut that I won't respond to now
This is a rather grim long-term prospect for the plucky and rich Northwest Germans, since on the scale of 20th century campaigns analogous to ours, they lack strategic depth, up against both France and the combined vastness of Russia, Austria and Prussia!

The trenches of a GW analog, assuming military tech is at the trench-war level by then would most likely be on NW German soil.:eek:
does look ... unlucky, doesn't it.
What about Denmark by the way? My "source" on the opening of Danish waters, by the way, is an offhand remark by a not-entirely-reliable narrator in Poul Anderson's The Corridors of Time. From what I remember of it, it probably happened fairly late in the 19th century. ITTL, the Steuerverein will be relying on British help if they get into serious naval difficulties.
Yet another good question.

BTW, I looked up Øresund being International Waters, and that only happens 1857 OTL.
So maybe even without France, the eastern absolutist alliance can indeed present itself as a credible rival to the RN on the high seas. If they are convincing enough, can they entice foolhardy Usans to join them in a grand breakout?
A fleet built for the Baltic and trained in the Baltic is going to have a heck of a time fighting in the wild North Sea. Just saying.
Even if France evolves more or less as OTL into a liberal republic,
Don't forget that France iOTL is due to become a wacko populist-authoritarian 2nd Empire. Hint, hint, but remember butterflies.

Last edited:
Of course, if iTTL, French & Dutch involvement gets to the point of troops crossing the borders, who's to say that there would still be a Belgium afterwards? France and the Netherlands would , IMO, be just as inclined to annex Wallonia / Flanders to their respective territories, if a suitable division could be reached.
Hmmm... If they're going in 'to protect our fellow lowcountrymen/Francophones', cynically dividing the spoils would be ... Oh, dear, it would be normal, wouldn't it?:):(:rolleyes:
OTOH, if the Belgian rebels pick up vibes that this is in the air, and I think they would, then they are likely to stop fighting, leaving the Dutch/French in a clear case of naked aggression, at which point the Hannoverians might well change their minds about Prussian troop movements. Say for instance.

Are the Dutch and French going to get good trade deals from the hypothetical independent Belgians? sure. Are there going be border adjustments? quite possibly. A partition, I think, would mean the Belgian revolt fails and the Netherlands and France gain little or nothing.
I think only British intervention permits an independent Belgium in 1830, and I don't see it happening quite yet. Would they welcome and protect an independent Belgium once it emerged? Undoubtedly. Will they act to bring it into being? As Britain and Prussia are, at this time, at worst somewhat cool to each other, I'm not convinced.
Very good thought. Have to take it under consideration.
I have some further thoughts, but I'm typing this in an airport lounge and have to leave for my flight...

TB-EI
thanks.

Well, Kleinstdeutsch will have to do I suppose. (Note that I keep wanting to write a piece where in 1848 the Prussian King accepts the crown)

Basically my ideal Germany is probably somewhere between our 1914 and 1991 borders.... :D

But be warned, I doubt that this solution will get rid of pan-germanism forever. Sooner or later something *cough*France*cough* or other will push Prussia and *Germany together.

Here's another map, with better labels. Note that 16 is Westphalia, 12 is Rhine Province
Ac.prussiamap3.gif

Note that TTL, Prussia has ALL of Saxony (13) not just the north half, but doesn't have Silesia, nor Poznan=Posen

Last edited:
So, picking up where I left off...

I think I've driven my opinion into the ground.

Let's, however, take a look at some scenarios:

1) Belgium wins its independence, without overt outside intervention. England, France and the Netherlands guarantee it's independence. Hannover and Bavaria begin the formation of Kleinstdeutschland. Prussia is furious. Government propaganda & diplomacy depicts the loos as the result of a Catholic-Liberal conspiracy. The Kulturkampf begins years early. Klienstdeutchland joins the neo-Delian League, Prussia the anti-Delians.

2)France and the Netherlands intervene directly. Hannover and / or Hesse relent and allow troops to cross their borders. If it's Hannover, they are dragged into the war directly. Major European conflagaration ensues.

2a) Prussia and its allies are defeated. The blood and treasure expended by France & the Netherlands results in demands to ensure the protection of their cousins by bringing them directly under their control. A partition of Belgium takes place. Hannover joins the neo-Delian league, Prussia joins neither side, but attempts to corral the remaining Protestant German states under its umbrella. Klienstdeutchland, the Catholic States and certain of the Protestant ones unwilling to join Prussia.

2b) Prussia and its allies are successful. Limited territorial claims are made (the Department of Nord added to Belgium, Bas-Rhin to Luxemburg, Gelderland east of the IJissel to Hannover. Repression is harsh but short; foreign intervention is blamed for inflamming the situation, and punishments are limited to rooting out the armed insurrection. German Unification proceeds more slowly, but along lines more similar to OTL.

3) Prussia manages to crush this rebellion without outside intervention apart from encouragement and clandestine arms shipments. Those active in the armed insurrection are shot and/or hanged. Family members and sympathisers are told to leave for Canada / New England / the U.S / the Cape Colony on pain of being charged with crimes against the state if they remain. Hannover's reluctance to open its borders cools relations for a while; Hesse is viewed as necessary territory for the next round of Prussian expansion.

OTL, Napoleon III suggested that he would allow Prussia to annex Luxsumbourg if Prussia would permit France to annex Belgium, so I don't think its impossible for protective intervention to turn into annexation ITTL.

More generally, I assume France and / or Russia are the major powers in the anti-Delian League alignment, so Britain may attempt to rope Prussia into a friendly or assocatied status. Even as a non-liberal state, Prussia could play a role similar to Communist China to the US after the OTL Sino-Soviet Split - an important state whom one wishes to keep on non-hostile relations with, even w/o sharing values.

BTW, I assume that there is a Anglo - Russian war coming up in the forseeable future; it isn't a Canada wank w/o Alaska being part of the party.

Jet lag kicked in something fierce, so I'll leave it here for now.

TB-EI

Last edited:
Musings on the Susano/Valdemar map
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2854817&postcount=389

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I've done some further reading on the time period, and I'm convinced Susano and Valdemar are, in any general sense, wrong. The splitting of Poland and of Saxony were well in process by the time Napoleon returned for the 100 Days, for instance, due to a firestorm of protest; and Prussia got Rheinprovinz and Westfalen specifically to compensate for only getting half of Saxony. No where was Silesia discussed, or Belgium, that I can see.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Since both guys are now banned, we can't go back and ask what their thought processes were. (Or what they were smoking<g>).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OTOH.... It is most assuredly true that Russia really wanted Poland, preferably all of it. And Prussia really wanted Saxony. Both were in possession at the time, and had little interest in leaving. Getting those changes to happen is certainly possible. Since that map has been considered cannon for some 2 years or so now, can we make it work? Can we get the rest of the changes to happen?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The map clearly is a 'Great Power Wank' (more specifically Russia/Prussia wank). At the beginning of the Congress of Vienna, OTL, the 4 Great Powers (Britain, Russia, Prussia and Austria) tried to make all the decisions behind closed doors and just have them ratified by France and the minor powers. If matters had stayed that way, the Poland / Saxony question might just have gone the way that Russia/Prussia wanted.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OTL, Tallyrand, the French delegate to the talks, basically bullied his way into the inner circle, leaked embarrassing memoranda etc., and generally kept the Allies (as he put it Allies against whom? Surely not Bourbon France?) from making all the decisions. I'd say kept them honest, but honesty had little to do with anyone's actions there. It's also interesting that Castlereagh, the British delegate, consistently disobeyed his instructions.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So. If we have a different, less Machiavellian French diplomat who can be partly ignored, or co-opted, and if we have a British ambassador who follows directions (be it Castlereagh or someone else), then the Tsar's absolute insistence on keeping Poland might stand; as might Prussia's demand for Saxony. (Especially since their respective armies were camped out there.) If Prussia's king makes some crazy statement like 'my honour depends on keeping all of Saxony', he might just paint himself into a corner. OTL, some of this stuff was leaked, and Austria's horror, which was private, was shared by most of the rest of Europe, and Prussia had NOT backed itself into a corner. If it stays private, can Austria be bought off?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now. Russia, by the map, gets a Poland almost twice the size of OTLs. Prussia gets a bunch. What more can Austria get. Well, the map shows 2 gains for Austria over OTL – bits of Bavaria (over by the Rhein and less visible nibbles around the edges of contiguous Bavaria – especially in the west), which isn't anything like what Russia and Prussia got; and Silesia. I think if Prussia paints herself into a corner DEMANDING Saxony, 'Our honour demands it, we can cede anything but that', which actually seems in character, Austria might just call their bluff. “OK, we'll take Silesia, then”. “But, but, but.....” At which point, Prussia then gets Belgium instead.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]A bit forced, but that's all I can see.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OK. So what does Britain get out of this? Well, I think the other 3 powers are going to say that Britain ALREADY is making out like a bandit with all the colonial territories they've scooped up, not to mention the massive expansion of BNA (that is in process). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Still, Britain would say that they already HAVE that. I think a firm Statement condemning the Slave Trade, as part of the Treaty, might be enough of a sop for the Brits. Especially as they don't WANT land in Europe, and there isn't that much LEFT elsewhere for them to seize. (OTL, they got such a statement, but separate from the main agreement, and it cost them lots and lots of gold to bribe countries to agree. Here, no gold changes hands.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As for the minor powers. Since the Netherlands doesn't get Belgium, they probably get French colonial territory – say Guiana, doubling the size of that Dutch Guiana. Denmark's OK, while they don't get Lauenburg, they do get ex-Swedish Pomerania. The King of Saxony probably gets Parma. So what if several of these agreements violate previous agreements? Lots of under the table agreements were betrayed iOTL – in fact, Parma, for instance, was promised to two separate people.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think Britain will also demand something for friendly minor German States (e.g. Hannover). I'm guessing a formal commitment to a “Deutscher Bund” (German Confederation) in the final Treaty, and a little more in the way of teeth for that organization. Not much, just a little.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sorry to get hung up on this, but if I don't know what happened in Europe in 1814/5, I can't know what will happen in 1830 or 1848, and the former is overdue, and the latter is coming up fast. Yes, this means the 1830 post is retconned. I'm not sure what to, yet.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Musings on the Susano/Valdemar map
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2854817&postcount=389

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I've done some further reading on the time period, and I'm convinced Susano and Valdemar are, in any general sense, wrong. The splitting of Poland and of Saxony were well in process by the time Napoleon returned for the 100 Days, for instance, due to a firestorm of protest; and Prussia got Rheinprovinz and Westfalen specifically to compensate for only getting half of Saxony. No where was Silesia discussed, or Belgium, that I can see.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Since both guys are now banned, we can't go back and ask what their thought processes were. (Or what they were smoking<g>).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]OTOH.... It is most assuredly true that Russia really wanted Poland, preferably all of it. And Prussia really wanted Saxony. Both were in possession at the time, and had little interest in leaving. Getting those changes to happen is certainly possible. Since that map has been considered cannon for some 2 years or so now, can we make it work? Can we get the rest of the changes to happen?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Sure! I think you did OK there. It's a map challenge I guess--"here's the post-1814 map, now tell me how it happened." I see that two years ago for instance you suggested that Britain would be comfortable with Prussia having Belgium, because they were very backward as sea powers, which is a thought I had on the matter myself before going back and rereading the original map post. (Which I probably skimmed the first time round anyway, thinking European affairs rather peripheral to Canada and North America generally. The main issue as it bore on the timeline was how many demobilized French soldiers and their families and other associates could reasonably be settled in Louisiana. The OTL Conference of Vienna was rather infamous for being a game of cards between the great powers, local interests be damned; no reason for it to be any saner or kinder ITTL and lots of reasons for it to be less so. As you also pointed out, in the context of an evolving "Cold War" between eastern absolutist powers and liberal, parliamentary western ones, because a final Battle of Waterloo where all the powers had to act in close concert was not necessary, the Grand Alliance is here more fragmented and at cross-purposes and its members are more willing to go it alone, less worried about a resurrection of the revolutionary spirit of 1789, so less impelled to a "Holy Alliance."

It's not necessary for the "Cold War" to actually evolve as you were then envisioning it, if you are reconsidering that, for the observations you made about the fractious nature of the peace settlement to be true.

I'm interested in seeing Prussia taken down a few pegs just because that would mix things up a bit, and also because I rather think a Germany based on western realms rather than Prussia might be more congenial.

Is it an absolute law, looking to the long term, that an eventual Prussian-Austrian alliance must necessarily exclude Russia? If Austria and Russia can come to some understandings both can live with about partitioning Turkish territory, some long-term principles both stick to for some decades as one then the other makes some progress, could they not be satisfied with each other? It's a question; people seem to think it's an axiom the Hapsburgs and Romanovs must come to blows somehow but I wonder, that's all.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As for the minor powers. Since the Netherlands doesn't get Belgium, they probably get French colonial territory – say Guiana, doubling the size of that Dutch Guiana. Denmark's OK, while they don't get Lauenburg, they do get ex-Swedish Pomerania. The King of Saxony probably gets Parma. So what if several of these agreements violate previous agreements? Lots of under the table agreements were betrayed iOTL – in fact, Parma, for instance, was promised to two separate people.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think Britain will also demand something for friendly minor German States (e.g. Hannover). I'm guessing a formal commitment to a “Deutscher Bund” (German Confederation) in the final Treaty, and a little more in the way of teeth for that organization. Not much, just a little.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sorry to get hung up on this, but if I don't know what happened in Europe in 1814/5, I can't know what will happen in 1830 or 1848, and the former is overdue, and the latter is coming up fast. Yes, this means the 1830 post is retconned. I'm not sure what to, yet.[/FONT]

It isn't clear to me just what on the Susano/Valdemar map is retconned. It's a crazy map, but it's a crazy old world too; we can take it as awkwardly given. You've accounted for the portioning of Saxony, Silesia, and Belgium.

As you say OTL Prussia only got the Rhine provinces because of not getting all of Saxony, but here they don't get Silesia, and if Prussia must have footholds in the west (and it's all the more sensible they'd want some if they have Belgium too) so be it. I'm partial to the hope they lose them! Particularly that bit on the North Sea that comes out of nowhere and properly ought to be in Hannover's sphere--was, in OTL.

But maybe having that bit makes them less willing to gamble too high stakes to keep Belgium at all costs, knowing they have a fallback? I wanted it gone to neaten up the west German confederacy's boundaries but maybe leaving it Prussian at least for a while gives that confederation, or just Hannover anyway, healthy anxiety?

The world map of 1814 was never drawn and it was never settled just what the Dutch got, so that's not a retcon, it's an expansion on the original statement, to say "oh, they get French Guiana to add to Dutch Guyana."

With North America so much under British control, it is clearly very important to have at least an accurate sketch of the general thrust of European events, since Britain is so entangled in them.

1848 is massively butterflied. Since I have a Marxist understanding of the economic dynamics of capitalism, it's my belief you can pretty much set a historical clock by the timing of the upswings and downturns of the market; the major effect butterflies can have on that would be, by speeding up or slowing down the penetration of market norms for routine business, which is part of the package of 19th century liberalism, they can be blurred and blunted a bit (in the case that reactionary or successful far-left, communistic radicals rule more, the one retarding modernity in general, the other conceivably advancing beyond it, or at any rate setting up economies with distinctly different laws of motion) or if there's a more general penetration by capitalist norms and actual investment, intensifying it. The timing can be shifted a bit but I'm struck by how remarkably regularly the capitalist world has gone into recessions of some magnitude or other every decade; only if capitalism were smashed and greatly retarded in its core strongholds would that clock falter, I think. I doubt anything like that will happen here, therefore sometime between 1847 and 1851 I expect a major business downturn, and this will have something to do with the timing of any drastic political upheavals.

However with the rise of a more liberal though still aristocratic/royalist northwest German power, I suppose the political flammability of the Germanies in general might be damped considerably. Particularly if they are pragmatic liberals rather than doctrinaire ones, who in an economic emergency go in for various pragmatic welfare measures to keep unrest from flaring out of control.

What happens in France on the other hand might well be rather starker. OTL Louis Bonaparte was able to straddle many fences--pretty much beguiling the British for instance into either supporting him or at any rate backing off and letting him do as he would. Here, given the original Napoleon's suicide, the Bonaparte name might be less of one to conjure with in France itself. Any third-generation Bonaparte would be an ATL cousin at best of any OTL figures anyway, given the free reign of butterflies, which are already massive in 1814. I suspect that Marx's OTL analysis of the nature of Bonaparte's takeover will broadly hold true in any likely Alt-1848 France--the country, though irrevocably on a path of capitalist development, just isn't ready, politically or sociologically, for a mass democracy based parliamentary liberal regime yet, whereas the two rival royal houses are too entrenched in each one's sociological stronghold for the other to prevail, so some third monarch of some kind needs to step in..

What if that new dynasty, perhaps a Napoleonic one, perhaps something else entirely, moves more in an ATL-Prussian direction (that is, absolutism untempered by expedient compromises with liberalism, avoiding going under economically by developing a robust version of Russia's state-supervised capitalist development). So France, instead of evolving more liberal institutions, instead polarizes into a very radicalized proletariat, and a long-term successful repressive aristocracy that rules as much through technocracy as terror?

Then we have the Liberal/Absolutist split pretty ready-made. Maybe too much so; OTL it wasn't clear in 1875 how the battle lines of WWI would wind up being drawn at all; maybe France has to fake left for some generations in order to wind up breaking rightward at the last minute?

Status
Not open for further replies.