Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

I just rememberd something. The f-117 was introduced to the airforce during october '83. I wonder what targets they were assinged to during the strike.

Brilliant Chip! I really enjoy reading your writings. The war scenes make me think that you could give Clancy a run for his money and write a more human version of Red Storm Rising, eg. same storyline but really get in the heads of the men and women who fight the War.

"I just rememberd something. The f-117 was introduced to the airforce during october '83. I wonder what targets they were assinged to during the strike.

Officially, the F-117 does not exist. ;)

Unofficial, the only F-117 in existence was used briefly in the campaign against Cuban naval forces off the coast of Texas -- February 18, 1984.

It is not known where the plane is, or if any other planes exist.

Great job! CAP is likely still hunkered down. When levels get lower, CAP may get called in to fly their 182s on recon as well. They'll be at lower altitudes...and they may get fired on...

"CAP is likely still hunkered down. When levels get lower, CAP may get called in to fly their 182s on recon as well.

The CAP's already made a mark. Where did the hero of the Battle over North Platte learn how to fly a plane to begin with?

And a CAP man will get the first look at Omaha.

Their day is coming.

Coming soon -- Omaha, Lincoln, a game of cat and mouse..and hell hath no fury.

Chipperback:

Do you have any idea how the assorted Mennonite and Amish communities are making out? I am aware of one group - Mennonite Disaster Service - which pitches in, in virtually any disaster situation. All are volunteers and from my own experience, they have done a lot of great work at high, sometimes fatal, expense.

This situation looks like something they would be involved in.

bobinleipsic

This is great work Chipperback. I rarely post here and only stop by this site occasionally (haven't read as much AH as most here) but I am hooked on this thread. Check every day to see if there's an update.

Chipperback:

Do you have any idea how the assorted Mennonite and Amish communities are making out? I am aware of one group - Mennonite Disaster Service - which pitches in, in virtually any disaster situation. All are volunteers and from my own experience, they have done a lot of great work at high, sometimes fatal, expense.

This situation looks like something they would be involved in.

bobinleipsic
Agreed. National VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) members would be very active in responding to this, even if there wasn't much coordination due to the major scale of disaster. (I'm not sure how many groups were in VOAD in 1984, though the list included the Seventh-Day Adventists , the Southern Baptist Convention, Mennonite Disaster Services, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, the National Disaster Relief office of the Roman Catholic Church, and the American Red Cross.)
The current member list is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOAD
For more info:
http://www.nvoad.org/index.php/about-us-.html
The Salvation Army may not have joined then, but they are a great resource for disaster response as well. (Alas, their radio network only began in 1988.)
http://disaster.salvationarmyusa.org/index.php

I was wrong about an assumption...

I just had a hunch. I don't think Tyler is the one Jackie is after (the person who presumably killed/caused her mom's death).

Tyler mentioned to the mayor of Fremont before nuclear war broke out (on the Monday before) that he (the mayor) knew Jackie personally and the mayor turned pale.

If my hunch that the mayor of Fremont was involved in Jackie's mother's death is true, this will screw up Tyler's plans to some degree.

Am I on the right track, Chip?

Land Of Flatwater: The Capitol and The Big City

ec121_warning_star.jpg

Leaving Seward, Nebraska...8:30 am Central Standard Time Friday February 24, 1984.

Lieutenant Major Jack Maitland. United States Air Force, retired. Omaha, Nebraska

Jack Maitland loves to fly. He'll use any excuse to fly. He joined the Air Force fresh out of Creighton University in 1958, just because he wanted to learn how to fly.

Ten years and many flight hours later, he left the Air Force and found himself in a cockpit of a pink 727 for Braniff International, and then graduated up to L-1011s. Transatlantic flights...and a beautiful night in Venice 8 years ago.

Along the canals, he met his wife Annabella. In an out-of-the-way cafe, with a soft mournful song playing in the background..

Jack was thinking of that song as he was flying.

nemmeno un grido risuonerà e solo il silenzio come un sudario si stenderà
fra il cielo e la terra, per mille secoli almeno,
ma noi non ci saremo, noi non ci saremo.

"Connie 1-0. Connie 1-0. The is Husker 3-0...over."

"This is Connie 1-0 over."

"Just off your starboard wing, buddy," Lieutenant Lassiter said through his radio. "That is a cool ship. You don't see many of those around."

"On Patrol three-zero?"

"Actually recon duty, sir. We're going to Lincoln. The brass thinks it's still standing."

"I hope something is still standing," Jack responded. "We have a more difficult trip,"

"Where are you headed, 1-0?"

"To see what is left of my hometown...Omaha."

approaching Lincoln Nebraska from the Northwest...8:50am Central Standard Time...

The twin Nebraska ANG A-7s made a gentle turn as they flew over the Interstate 80/Interstate 180 interchange. The roads still have a lot of abandoned vehicle strewn along them. But Lieutenant locked up from the mess below...What they saw was calm amid fallout dust that had settled in. It made the roadway look snow covered.

They looked ahead as the Lincoln skyline grew closer. The cameras on both plane already firing pictures.

"Husker 3-0," Lieutenant Schmadeke said happily. "Can you believe this?"

Lieutenant Lassiter looked up ahead. It was all still there.

Memorial Stadium rising up from the flat lands. O Street. The courthouse.

Nebraska's state capitol. The main tower stretching toward the heavens. The Sower statue, the symbol of Nebraska's pride in agriculture, crowning the peak.

It was all still there.

Lincoln_ne_skyline.jpg

Lieutenant Schmadeke felt himself tearing up as he flew over Memorial Stadium. He had spent many games in that stadium. He went to the University when he was in college. He saw the dormitories and the buildings. They were still there.

Lieutenant Lassiter noticed tents along the creek banks. There were people down there, trying to seek shelter.

On the ground a group of people in a house looked out the window. They could hear the booms of the jet engines.

"Anybody listening...Attention! There are aircraft flying over Lincoln...Can anybody see them?"

underneath Memorial Stadium. University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

"They are saying there's a plane up there or something on the radio," said one of the students, a girl.

Another kid in shelter, a boy in glasses blurted out, "I could be the Air Force"

One of the football players said, "Yeah! It could be a Russian, too."

A fourth kid exclaimed, "Only one way to find out."

The Old Man walked up to the Radio. One of other students tried to stop him. "Sir, you need to rest.."

The Old Man wouldn't hear of it, "Son, I've been resting since this started. If there is a plane up there. I want to talk to that lad."

"Attention...Whoever you are up there. We're transmitting from Memorial Stadium at the University of Nebraska....If you are up there, please answer..."

Both pilots were overwhelmed. Both were crying as their cameras kept taking pictures. "Husker 3-1 you handle Downtown and the south," Lieutenant Lassiter said, his voice choking up with each word. "I'm going to head out east towards...Lincoln Southeast High School...."

Lieutenant Schmadeke smiled through his tears. "It's okay, sir. I'm crying, too."

The pilot looked out of his cockpit. He saw the state capital. Still standing proudly on the devastated Nebraska plains. He started to smile and weep again.

december2010-11-540x807.jpg

"Husker 3-0, to FOXTROT....come in..."

"FOXTROT Control to 3-0..Why are you blubbering on my radio, son?."

"I'm sorry, sir," Lieutenant Lassiter said through his happy tears. Trying to compose himself. "Sir....There are....Lincoln has negative impact... I repeat Lincoln has negative impact. Thank God...They didn't hit it!"

"I have visual confirm...of tents....Western edge of the city. There are people here. I know the rads are high...There are people here...."

"Confirming Husker 3-1 to FOXTROT," Lieutenant Schmadeke just as overcome with emotion. "Sirs, I can confirm. There are survivors here...

zzzzz....."Attention.....in the planes......Attention...If you are reading this...please....respond... This is......Lincoln Mennonite Church.....MDS Battalion.....please respond......"

"Are you picking this up?" Lieutenant Lassiter said as he took pictures of a scene below him. Tents, people..Campfires in makeshift shanties. Survivors set up in irrigation ditches, abandoned barns, and anywhere else they could find to shield themselves. There looked to be hundreds of them massing out side of Lincoln. All ages. All sizes. All races. Some sickened. Some burned. All scared.

On the ground they all looked up at the fighter plane. Some ran and scattered. Other frantically waved at the planes.

"Husker 3-1 to Husker 3-0...over......Check the radio 113.6!"

Lieutenant Lassiter switched to the frequency. There was a lot static, but there was a signal...popping through.

"Attention, anybody up there...We have reports of planes flying above the town...If you are up there, son...Please talk to us..."

"Get the voice 3-0?"

"It's kind of faint 3-1...But I heard it..

"I know that voice 3-0! I know that voice 3-0!...We have to talk back!"

"FOXTROT, This is Husker 3-0, come in! We have positive radio contact with survivors...Request permission to respond...over."

BASE ALPHA -- Situation Room -- same time

"They should maintain zero contact," HAMMER said.

PEGLEG didn't agree. "Patch me directly to that pilot...secure line.."

"Husker 3-0, go to SECURE ROMEO..."

Lieutenant Lassiter switched to a secure frequency. "Husker 3-0...acknowledge..

Governor Kerrey felt his eyes moistening up. "Husker 3-0...This is PEGLEG..."

"Yes sir...This is unreal sir."

"I know...listen...Every 30 minutes...send out a hail to all frequencies...If somebody gives you a location...Pick up the phone. Help is on the way. You read me?"

"Roger that, sir."

The Governor turned to the National Guard commander. "How soon can move troops into positions to help out."

"We can muster out and roll within two hours, with FEMA/NEMA supports, Governor, but with those rad numbers, now I'm worried. They are lower, but not low enough maybe."

The Governor turned his attention back to the pilots over Lincoln. "Husker 3-0, Husker 3-1...You have your orders...Stay composed. Stay focused...This is first ray of hope we've had in since before this started. PEGLEG out."

over Downtown Lincoln...9:30 am Central Standard Time.

"Husker 3-1...to anyone listening...This is Husker 3-1, to any stations transmitting in area...please respond...This is Nebraska Air National Guard...Husker 3-1...please respond..."

"HUSKER 3-1 Brother....It's a blessing to hear your voice!!!!...This is MDS battalion..Lincoln Mennonite Church...over.."

"Husker 3-1 responding....we have help coming on the way. You just stay put...we have help on the way..."

"Husker 3-1, if needed we can assist any aid teams...we are prepared with NBC gear.."

Lieutenant Schmadeke felt himself tearing up all over again. "It is good to hear voices...knowing that people are alive."

"We've been bunkered in here almost a week now. Most of the people near the church are in shelters, waiting for the moment to move..Our radio set went out just before the bombs hit.....Was Lincoln hit?"

"Negative. Lincoln is intact," the Lieutenant said through a new wash of tears. "Lincoln is still standing."

"You okay up there?"

The Lieutenant managed to smile again. "Yes...I am."

BASE CHARLIE -- Dorchester, Nebraska -- same time

CHARLIE is the main forward base for the Army National Guard. A contingent of 350 troops and support people are here. They will link up with a smaller ready group at BASE BRAVO just down the road in Crete.

BASE HOTEL -- Seward, Nebraska -- same time

State Patrolmen, FEMA/NEMA staff and national guard begin loading emergency first aid supplies, emergency food and radiac gear into some helicopter transports as they furious take in details of what was becoming an improvised major operation.

"Listen up!" The State Patrol captain said. "We're getting direct orders from HAMMER confirmed. Lincoln is still standing and there are survivor. We are going to set up perimeters at three areas in town with main base in the downtown area near The University. If you don't have on MOPP gear on, you better put it on. Rads are holding at 45 per hour. Better than we were, but far from safe.

over Lincoln, Nebraska -- same time

"I'm an ER doctor," the scared female voice said. "I'm at Bryan Hospital. We have maybe 30 staff still here. Some of our staff are in their homes or evacuated away. We felt the explosions to the south...Is the hospital on top of us in pieces?

"Husker 3-1 to Bryan...The hospital is intact, just like the city is. We are sending help and supplies"

"Any idea on the RADIAC reading?" another doctor asked.

"Holding at 45. The troops are in protective gear."

"You said there are people in tents outside of the city.."

"There are survivors."

The ER doctor turned mournful. "They could be walking dead people and don't know it."

"Hello...Husker...not sure who you are....but we are glad to hear you...We're underneath Memorial Stadium," the young man said. "There's maybe 20 of us...including the coach..."

"A coach?" Lieutenant Schmadeke said.

"Yeah," the young man said. "Coach was down here, when we got here. We're worried about him. He's an old man we don't know how this could affect him."

"Is he okay?"

"I'm fine lad," the Old Man chimed. His familiar voice tinged with an impish smile. "You think an atomic bomb going to keep me down."

The Lieutenant knew that voice. He knew it well.

"Husker 3-1 to Coach. How you holding up Coach?"

"I'm still alive, son," The Coach said. "Beats the alternative. Do you know anything about Coach Osborne?"

"I've heard rumors he's helping run things in Hastings right now. They don't tell us much, sir"

"Do you know anything about what they hit?"

"Just know that they butchered Omaha, and the missile silos out west..Most of the towns are intact from what I hear...but I don't hear much. I just make sure things are safe."

"What about the President?"

"Sorry sir," the Lieutenant said in a sad voice. "Nobody knows, but there is an acting Governor here. That's what I know.....Coach, help is on the way. Just stay put, sir...Stay down there, until its safe to come up...The radio should let you know....All of you....you've given a lot of people a lift today.."

"So did you, son."

Flying over Boys Town, Nebraska -- same time

Jack brought the Constellation to a lower altitude there were nearing the bare maximum floor to stay within a "safe" exposure threshold. "Safe" being a relative term. Even with an entire crew in NBC suits. They have a limited window to get photos and data and get out of town...

Jack peered out into the widening view of what used to be a growing midwestern city. Any semblance of what Omaha was becomes unrecognizable 2 miles east of Boys Town. The sky was mixed in grays, oranges and reds. The buildings out here, nearly 30 miles away from the initial ground zero at Offutt Air Force Base, show blast damage.

The wind, even at 14, 000 feet was definite and strong.

Up ahead...looking toward West Dodge Road, the spine of Omaha's east-west transport route into the city, led to a cauldron of fire.

Nebraska's largest city. This is Omaha after a nuclear war.

To be continued.

Lincoln_ne_skyline.jpg

Last edited:
It would be funny if a surviving Soviet boomer decided to take out Lincoln at this point just for the hell of it.

noi non ci saremo, noi non ci saremo.

I see what you did there! :D

And it's good to see Lincoln survive. They like Nevada will have an easy start to rebuilding.

Keep up the good work!

-Gen_Patton

Chipper - love the thread. One thing though, while Tyler and his men can make a real nuisance of themselves, his dream of a permanent power base is not realistic. While they can ride in to Lincoln and cause havoc, too many Nebraskans have weapons, and when someone breaks in to your house to loot & rape a pistol or 12-gauge is as good as a military weapon. The number of "soldiers" Tyler has is limited, and in spite of the dreams of his followers, there won't be lots of willing converts out there so as the white power army takes casualties, they will get smaller. Logistically, unlike the legitimate Nebraskans, they won't have the capability to do any reconstruction or building/making new or replacement parts & stuff - they will need to survive by looting, which is not sustainable.

As far as delayed Soviet strikes - several issues:
1. There has to be a command structure to select targets and assign priorities and order strikes. It appears that the NCA in the USSR is way more disrupted than in the USA, and has a tradition of need to be centrally directed with minimal initiative.
2. Post-strike BDA. Given that you will have a limited number of delivery systems left, even if plenty of warheads/bombs, you need to evaluate what has been hit/adequately destroyed and what has not, as well as trying to find targets you did not know about or have been created (like a civilian airfield now a military base). The USSR's ability to conduct BDA is very limited...can they get satellite data? how many analysts are there? Recon a/c capable of flying to the USA & back, probably none.
3. Target selection: Hitting someplace like Lincoln is going to be a very low priority if at all for delayed nuke strikes. No military, no key industries etc so why waste a very valuable and limited resource when you could hit someplace that escaped that can hurt you or really contribute to military reconstruction.
4. The only way a boomer that did not fire missiles would eventually fire off would be on a pre-determined time frame & target set, or getting info from the NCA (see 1-3) above)

Chipper - love the thread. One thing though, while Tyler and his men can make a real nuisance of themselves, his dream of a permanent power base is not realistic. While they can ride in to Lincoln and cause havoc, too many Nebraskans have weapons, and when someone breaks in to your house to loot & rape a pistol or 12-gauge is as good as a military weapon. The number of "soldiers" Tyler has is limited, and in spite of the dreams of his followers, there won't be lots of willing converts out there so as the white power army takes casualties, they will get smaller. Logistically, unlike the legitimate Nebraskans, they won't have the capability to do any reconstruction or building/making new or replacement parts & stuff - they will need to survive by looting, which is not sustainable.

As far as delayed Soviet strikes - several issues:
1. There has to be a command structure to select targets and assign priorities and order strikes. It appears that the NCA in the USSR is way more disrupted than in the USA, and has a tradition of need to be centrally directed with minimal initiative.
2. Post-strike BDA. Given that you will have a limited number of delivery systems left, even if plenty of warheads/bombs, you need to evaluate what has been hit/adequately destroyed and what has not, as well as trying to find targets you did not know about or have been created (like a civilian airfield now a military base). The USSR's ability to conduct BDA is very limited...can they get satellite data? how many analysts are there? Recon a/c capable of flying to the USA & back, probably none.
3. Target selection: Hitting someplace like Lincoln is going to be a very low priority if at all for delayed nuke strikes. No military, no key industries etc so why waste a very valuable and limited resource when you could hit someplace that escaped that can hurt you or really contribute to military reconstruction.
4. The only way a boomer that did not fire missiles would eventually fire off would be on a pre-determined time frame & target set, or getting info from the NCA (see 1-3) above)

Yes, Tynes will have his eye on Lincoln, but I suspect he will fail. As for the Soviet strikes...the leader of the Soviet Union was killed in that bunker by Ralph and his crew and the remaining command structure is probably dead or not in communication with forces who can launch such strikes.

Plus, the submarines will be having their own problems (remember the sub that landed in Whitby (1) in P & S, where they ate the dead to survive) with food and fuel. Launching will be the last things on their minds.

(1) BTW, nice reference to Dracula, Macragge1.

Chip, I'm guessing the Old Man is Bob Devaney (Tom Osborne's predecessor (2)), correct? Kind of makes sense that he'd be at the stadium during the attacks.

(2) And, like Tom Osborne, he became athletic director at Nebraska after he stepped down as coach.

Last edited:
Unknown:
In the long run, surviving Red Banner Fleet boomers will have "supply" issues, but since there was a buildup to war, and the exchange did not happen day one, those boomers at sea would be chock fiull of supplies - at least 90+ days worth, so at this point in time that is not an issue.

FWIW while the USSR did have some sub tenders, they were few and were deployed where they could be hit easily..the USA had quite a few, and they would go to sea and disperse to pre-arranged far away spots to replenish/rearm/repair US subs. US also had destroyer tenders do the same for surface ships. These ships would stock up, leave the ports where they usually were, and go to places like Marianas Islands, Cape Verdes etc where no bases and not targets....

The number of "soldiers" Tyler has is limited, and in spite of the dreams of his followers, there won't be lots of willing converts..

You never know what hunger and desperation will lead people to believe...and what it may lead them to do.