Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I find the Brazilwank the most appealing part of that map.
Yet despite Brasil being as wanked as it is, the border with Britain is still awkward and British Chile has land on both side of the Andes, the eastern part of their 'nation' being a desert.
That's the only weakness of the map really.

The world with two additional countries, the Duchy of Tivarfell, and the Republic of Salamis. Salamis is a puppet of the main country, and Tivarfell is the mortal enemy of the main country.

View attachment 147604

As an aesthetic change, I would suggest making the national borders red; as it is, they kinda blend it with the rest of the map and are hard to pick out easily. Other than that, great map!

Here's a map of a Balkanized US/Canada split into 12 different countries.
Cyan: Inuit Territories
Green: Cascadia
Blue: People's Republic of California
Light Purple: Greater Las Vegas
Purple: Holy State of Deseret
Red: ? (generic ultraconservative areas)
Yellow: Prairie States
Black: Texas
Magenta: Lake States
Brown: Confederate States of America
Orange: New England
Pink: République du Québec

The New English West Virginia makes me want to cry.:(
Also, the correct word for that Greater Las Vegas is "Nevada" :p

This is a map depicting of my favorite wanks and screws (excluding Roman and Byzantine Wanks).

Nations wanked:

-(minor)USA
-Great Britain
-Russian Empire
-Empire of Japan
-German Empire (as you can see it is not a Prussia wank as all of the Kingdoms retain there dark outline. This is more of a German Imperial confederacy with the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollern, and the Wittelsbach are all key players.
-Chile (I don't know why but I love to wank Chile)

1950.png

This is a map depicting of my favorite wanks and screws (excluding Roman and Byzantine Wanks).

Nations wanked:

-(minor)USA
-Great Britain
-Russian Empire
-Empire of Japan
-German Empire (as you can see it is not a Prussia wank as all of the Kingdoms retain there dark outline. This is more of a German Imperial confederacy with the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollern, and the Wittelsbach are all key players.
-Chile (I don't know why but I love to wank Chile)

Hmmm... Germany- and Russia-wanks don't go well together. Can it really be described as a "Russia-wank" when the Tsar doesn't even control Poland? (Or more appropriately, Vistula Land?) The same with Britwanks. An overpowered Russia would have an outlet on the Indian Ocean.

Also, as suggestion for a more "realistic" Chile-wank - one could make Chile take more or all of Patagonia during Chile and Argentina's expansion into the region. Also, it's unlikely Chile would annex all of Bolivia - they'd probably just take the mountainous region at most, not the eastern jungle areas, and leave those to Brazil or as a rump state.

Hmmm... Germany- and Russia-wanks don't go well together. Can it really be described as a "Russia-wank" when the Tsar doesn't even control Poland? (Or more appropriately, Vistula Land?) The same with Britwanks. An overpowered Russia would have an outlet on the Indian Ocean.

Russia holds dominion over most of the Balkans, has Constantinople, has made Turkey its bitch, dominates northern Korea, and controls most of Northern China I would call that a Russia wank.

Britain has all of Indochina and Tibet as well as more of Africa and all of the East Indies

Well, there are always Axis-Wanks...

The Japanese survived, through a combination of bluff and guile, until they had assembled a large enough collection of cobalt-salted mega-bombs to poison the planet for the next 10,000 years and didn't have to bluff anymore. They mellowed - would Tojo have hesitated to kill off a third of China to pacify the rest? His heirs in the 70s and 80s did. They even gave their US west coast protectorate autonomy in the Empire. The Germans sneered at such weakness and predicted the imminent collapse of the Japanese Empire. Some of the Japanese talking heads agreed.

And then, a reformer was elected to the position of Fuhrer. Unfortunately, he actually meant what he said when he talked about clearing out corruption and inefficiency and "private little empires." Like Hitler before him, the rank and file of the Party thought he was just making noises for the masses...

The Nazi Civil War started out as a matter of coups and assassinations, but eventually grew into a nuclear weapons contest of "chicken." Unfortunately, most Nazi leaders weren't much concerned about innocent bystanders...

The Japanese were rather happy that the Germans managed to pull back from total self-destruction: happy, since their analysts had predicted that if things went that far the Germans would probably try to take everyone else out with them in a final gesture of from-hells-heart-stabbiness. (As it was, a couple nukes were tossed at Japan by some of the crazier local warlords. Western Tokyo took some serious damage). On the other hand, life had become rather more complex as a three-way cold war between Nazi factions was overlaid upon the traditional German-Japanese contest...

None of the Nazi factions is _democratic_, but at least the Munich faction is relatively sane. Unfortunately, they're the worst off in terms of geography and resources. The Stuttgart government is good old fashioned careerist Nazis, while the Eastern Territories are held by the most fanatical groups, who are annoyed that all Non-Aryans haven't been wiped out yet. What they lack in numbers (mostly of the Eastern territories are thinly populated) they make up for in loony.

The Slavic Preserves, now the Slavic Union, wants them dead just as much. Now that German planes don't fly over their territory at will and bomb anything that looks like a factory, they are making up for lost time: seismic activity indicated they have developed their own bomb, something that annoys the Japanese, which took them under their nuclear umbrella when the German imperium collapsed. Worse, they have been infiltrating on a very large scale German territory, establishing "liberated zones" in endless empty forests the Germans have never had the manpower (or desire: it's cold!) to settle after they kicked out the Slavs. The Japanese are thinking of calling them on the carpet.

Of course, the Japanese have other worries: the Chinese Reich, product of fifty years of guerilla warfare, is carrying out force-draft industrialization of North Korean nastiness: and they are very determined to get South China back. (Fortunately, the South Chinese have no real interest in joining up).

And then there are the Americans: giving them self-government to keep them from turning to the Nazis was reasonable, their annexation of the Rocky Mountain states when the Nazis were Otherwise Occupied was understandable - but nearly getting into a war with the Confederacy over the wreckage of the post-civil-war east? Idiotic. Sure, the enlarged US is now one of the most productive partners in the Co-Prosperity Sphere, but juggling three sets of Nazis at once is bad enough without drawing Japan into conflicts with the Confederacy.

Africa south of Italian territory and north of South African remains rather empty: with the more salubrious climes of southern Russia, it has taken quite a bit of government prodding to get any German settlements outside the mines and the tropical products plantations, and much of the country is so empty that it's almost impossible to find the "hidden villages" of those African escapees that often show up on satellite pictures. On the other hand, German nature lovers enthuse over the great recovery of wildlife since the 50s.

(Although Italian Libya and Eritrea are solidly Italianized nowadays, and much of the healthier Ethiopian highlands have been cleared of locals, there are still quite a few native Africans in Italian territory, and more in South Africa, in spite of the Eugenics program. Before the Civil war, German tourists in those countries would grumble about the labor situation in German Africa and how nice it would have been if the government had let some of the locals survive, if only for local color).

Latin America, where the Japanese generally got on better with the locals than the Germans, is economically dominated by Japan, which has substantially pulled ahead of a war-impoverished Germany in standards of living (which seriously pisses off the Germans). Fearing German wrath, (ore just racist) a majority of the nations have as yet not joined the Co-Prosperity Sphere, though.

German space colonization has been curtailed for now, and besides the still-troubled ecomomies there is the fact that now the space effort is divided: the various space-wheels in orbit are under different management, each of the three factions has its own Moonbase, and the Mars base has not yet been rebuilt since combat between different factions in its staff killed the lot of them. As yet no expeditions have been dispatched to the outer planets since the Jupiter mission of '87 (which makes some environmentalists sigh in relief: the big nuclear-torch ships are very dirty - even the smaller rockets have put so much crap into the ionosphere that satellites are much bigger than OTL and use vacuum tubes, since the energetic particles tend to mess up microchips).

Millions died when some loony nuked the Gibraltar Dam, which did some major coastline-remodelling all over the western Med: on the bright side, most people agree that the weather is nicer since the sea level returned to its original position.

There are still Jews, in some parts of Latin America and Japanese territory and the Slav lands: but they keep it quiet: the Nazis have not yet gone away.

Bruce

Las Vegas expanded to fill the entire state.

What? What?

Even ignoring the huge problems with irrigation, ability to find enough food and especially water and other stuff that could in theory be solved by future technology, there are so many problems with this.

Mainly, the area of Nevada is 286,367 km². The area of the largest metropolis in the US, the New York metropolitan area is 17,405 km².

Therefore you could fit 16.4 times the total area of New York into Nevada, which would give a population of 310 million people. The largest city in the world, Tokyo, has 13 million people. To put it another way, your Greater Las Vegas would have a total population the same as the entire United States.

OK, to be fair the population density of New York is 1,096 per km². That might not be the same as out west. Oh wait, the population density of the current City of Las Vegas is 1,604 per km². Therefore if you just expanded Las Vegas out to fill the entire state you would actually have 460 million people. That's almost half a billion. Where would you find that many people? That's the same as the current combined population of the US, Canada and Mexico.

There are several other problems with this. Just a few:
One is that the bits everyone think are Las Vegas (the Strip) are actually outside the city for good reason, they would never want to be incorporated.
Secondly Las Vegas is in the very south of the state of Nevada, if it expanded so hugely it would expand around so would be unlikely to actually fill the whole state without moving south too.
Thirdly the capital of Nevada isn't even in Las Vegas, it's in Carson City which is the opposite side of the state.

So in other words; put some thought into what you do and don't just add things to a map because they sound cool. Then again looking at your map you have no idea what Quebec or New England are, so I'm not that surprised.

Listen, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just picking at one part that could be better thought through. Work, improve both the quality of your map-making skills and the ideas behind them and you'll get better. For a start, lean why West Virginia would never be in New England, or why Nova Scotia would never be part of la République du Québec. On a similar topic to your map, perhaps read up on the Nine Nations of North America theory. Just googling (other search engines are available) Balkanised North America comes up with this map, along with well considered history and economic data. Put in some research, and try again.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he was proposing that the city had expanded over the whole territory. I think what he meant was that politically, the rest of Nevada had come under the control of Las Vegas. Of course, if not, everything you've just said is perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.