A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond said:
I don't know; I really liked that last one you posted, the one with the Hunnic Empire.

Heh. I'm working on another right now... one with a wierd Russo-Byzantine union. Not quite sure. I'm just making wierd maps for the hell of it. ;)

Diamond said:
It's been a while since I posted a map...

Beautiful, beautiful stuff. One question: in that "world in 2006", who inhabits Manchuria, and why are they independent? Perhaps a Chinese republican regime, losers in a civil war and now surviving with Russian aid?

Bruce

Thande

Donor
As Flocc might say, "Diamond's maps 15 teh w1n!!!!!oneoneone' :D :cool:

Here's something I've been working on. It's sort of FH, only not... ;)

Thalv. WW3 2.GIF

Excellent maps as always Diamond. Tell us about them.

Thande, was there a nuclear between Spain, Turkey, China and US (all separate or in various alliances)?

Thande

Donor
Readers of MOONSTRUCK should note that this is the World War III referenced therein, circa 2020-2023. The sides are approximately

Allies=
EU
US
Australia
Japan
South Korea
Taiwan

(&later)
Russia
India
Brazil
Mexico

versus

Pactist Powers=
China
Iran
Arabia
various minor allies

As with WW2, though, the Pactists overran quite a lot of Allied territory at the start of the war, and the Allies suffered from several popular revolutions in states where the government looked towards the Allies but the people preferred the Pactists.

Diamond

Banned
B Munro said:
Beautiful, beautiful stuff. One question: in that "world in 2006", who inhabits Manchuria, and why are they independent? Perhaps a Chinese republican regime, losers in a civil war and now surviving with Russian aid?
Right on the money. It's a Russian-backed republic.

Darkest90 said:
That Africa map is awesome, whats the concept? No European colonization at all?
Yep. The Mongols and an even nastier Plague wipe out Europe. In 2005, Africa has attained about an 1800 level of tech and is busy colonizing the world.

fortyseven said:
Excellent maps as always Diamond. Tell us about them.
The first one is a world where a plague akin to smallpox is brought back to Europe with the first explorers and devastates the Old World even as disease is ripping apart the New. While much of the Americas are subsequently colonized, the process is much slower, and many native nations are able to survive and prosper, notably the Aztecs and Sioux.

Here's a world map for the Mongol one (not done yet). The gray areas are primitive tribal areas.

Last edited:

Diamond

Banned
Imajin said:
Interesting, is the state between Norse and Rus some kind of Finland? Seems odd that it would survive.
Well, it's based on a world in GURPS Infinite Worlds. There were no Norse states specified, I added them in for flavor. I figure the the Finnish state would be a sort of buffer region between the Norse and the Mongol hordes.

Inspired by the “Mexico vs. Japan Cold War” thread:

This TL arises from 17th century epidemiological butterflies, leading to a somewhat different cast of characters in N. America and Europe by the late 1700’s. There’s still a US revolution, and a French one, but the course of events is a bit different. The French still try to bring Liberte, Equalite, and Fraternite at gunpoint to all of Europe, and still get a beatdown. However, there is no extortion of Louisiana from Spain, and due to an early fragmentation of the US, nobody to sell it to, either. And like the Portugese monarchy OTL, the Spanish monarchy flees overseas to Mexico when Spain is overrun by revolutionary forces…

Move ahead to 2006. Mexico, a republic since the revolution of 1871, is perhaps the worlds greatest power, but it isn’t a sole hyperpower like the US OTL. It’s not quite as rich (think Italy: a modern, democratic industrial power with a problematic tradition of poverty and political corruption in the south), and it faces an enemy that rivals it in power: the fascistic Japanese empire. Japan competes with Mexico for influence in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East, intrigues to undermine the shaky union of Mexico’s Commonwealth allies, and sustains a dangerous nuclear arms race. The Japanese empire, based on racial heirarchy and subsmission of individual lives to the state and the people, sees Mexico and it’s allies as a perpetual source of subversion and a danger to the stability of rule in East Asia.

Mexico’s allies include it’s trade partners in the Union of the Americas ( a bit closer than NAFTA, looser than the EC), and the democratic states in the British Commonwealth. Japanese allies include the Arab Union (think Saddam’s Iraq in the large economy size, with nukes and a superpower sponsor), which has been stymied in it’s efforts to “Unify The Arab Peoples” by Mexican and Commonwealth support for the continued existence of Iraq and Arabia, and Germany, whose government hopes to regain part of the empire it lost in it’s nuclear war with Russia, starting with reclaiming the estranged part of the Fatherland (Bavaria, Austria, and Bohemia). The French-Italian Latin League is vigorously opposed to this, but is only loosely tied to Mexico and the Commonwealth: they don’t consider the struggle with Japan to be any of their business.

Europe is generally poorer and less democratic than in our timeline, except for parts of the Balkans: Latin America, wealthier (in some areas – Mexico of course, but also long-term commercial allies such as Chile – much richer). With no Marx, there is no exact equivalent to Communism, although a number of countries have “leftist” economies: the *fascistic dictatorships tend to be fairly statist, but there isn’t much of an intellectual connection between syndicalist and labor-power movements and centralized government power. Technology is a bit more backward: Mexico simply wasn’t wealthy enough until fairly late in the 20th century to support the sort of inventive, entrepreneurial technology growth of our US, while Europe took a big knock with the war in the 1970’s.

Bruce

ColdWarVsJapan2.png

Thande said:
As Flocc might say, "Diamond's maps 15 teh w1n!!!!!oneoneone' :D :cool:

Here's something I've been working on. It's sort of FH, only not... ;)
That certainly produces interesting results, even if nuclear winter hasn't set in yet...

Diamond said:
Thanks!

Here's another one, not completed as yet:
Well, the Chewa don't do very well, that's for sure, and why does Merina change its name to Malagasy?

By the way, great job on this and the other map...

Status
Not open for further replies.