Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
How is there no good challenge idea? There were a million in the old thread. I love seeing new MoF, and we just need some good old fashioned brainstorming. So here are a million ideas:

-A map showing the spread of an alternate religion (Perhaps something like the Eternal Blue Sky timeline, where a pagan religion becomes monotheistic)
-A map showing the conquests of a conqueror who didn't exist in OTL
-A map showing immigration waves in an ATL
-A map depicting a war which didn't occur in OTL(e.g. Fashoda Crisis becomes a war)

Or we could go with maps of more specific PODs, like maps of the effects of...

-Lenin survives long enough to support Trotsky as his heir
-Churchill is assassinated in 1932
-The Business Plot goes through as planned
-The USA goes to war with Germany over the Venezuela Crisis of 1902

Or we could go with the classics. Sure, they've been overdone, but you guys have some talent, so it'd be fun to see your take on....

-Nazi Victory scenario
-Confederacy wins Civil War
-American/British-wank
-Byzantine Empire survives

If people can't work over Christmas, that's one thing, but I mean come on guys, thinking of map ideas is easy!

I swear I already wrote a reply to this, but it appears I never actually posted it. Oh well.

What I meant by a good challenge suggestion was a challenge suggestion that meets both my own standards for creativity and interesting premise, and is popular. Since no one had posted anything stating their support for any particular challenge for some time I didn't have any indicator of what would or would not be popular, and therefore no indicator of what would be a "good" challenge suggestion.

Anyway, pedantry aside, I'm planning to revolutionise the way we suggest and submit challenge suggestions, since Google seems to have a service that would be perfect for such a system.

Also, I just realised I haven't posted the poll for MotF 27: Over Mountain, Plain and Sea yet. If you gentlemen would be so kind to give me a few minutes whilst I rectify this transgression...

Edit: The voting thread for MotF 27: Over Mountain, Plain and Sea is up!

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
The voting for MotF 27: Over Mountain, Plain and Sea is over! And the honoured winner is:

Krall!

One of the forum's regulars and undoubtedly the sexiest person in the whole world forever, Krall is a modest, yet amazing map-maker who has continued to surprise me with his artistic prowess and threaten my heterosexuality with his excessive hip-thrusting. I don't know about the other members of this board, but I await his next map with such unheard-of levels of glee that I think I may literally explode due to sheer happiness.

Anyway, MotF 28 shall be starting on the 2nd of January yet I do not appear to have a popular map challenge suggestion to base it on. My advice to all you fellows is to get posting, either with new map challenge suggestions, or with endorsements of former map challenge suggestions that did not meet the requirements to be adopted for a previous round of MotF.

I'll be re-posting some of the more popular suggestions from past months, though I won't do it in this post, as they're a good and valid reason to bump this thread over the coming days.

If anyone has the inclination, somebody should definitely go through the old suggestions and find some good ones and then post them here. I mean it's all well and good to say "use some old suggestions that never got picked", but which ones?

Personally I think we need fewer maps of neat little multi-colored interlocking states, which are fine but A) boring after a while and B) less relevant in the modern age, with terrorist networks and multinational corporations and the internet and so forth. No, what we need are what I'm calling, for lack of a better term, "theme maps". Hapsburg just put up a very interesting map of crime syndicates on the Map Thread, for example. So in that spirit here are a few suggestions:

The Red Death-Create a map depicting the spread of a disease, or two maps showing the world before and after a disease, which never occurred IOTL.

(Future Not Available in Latin America, Africa, India or Asia)- (or "Future Not Available" for short. I think I'm stealing this from a Simpsons joke, but I'm not sure. ANYWAY...) Create a map depicting a time, in our future or the future of an ATL, when part of the world is a post-scarcity technological paradise, where the state is obsolete because all social problems have been solved by technology, while other parts of the world are still impoverished, and probably very angry at the goddamn Jetsons over there living it up in (insert region) with their robot butlers while us honest folk in (different region) starve.

Crime and/or Punishment- Create a map depicting the areas controlled by various criminal groups, the measures taken by governments to fight this crime (prisons, court districts, troop deployments), or both.

The Gun is Our Government- (taken from a quote by a captured Somali pirate in Robert Kaplan's Monsoon, which I got for xmas) It's always bothered me that "anarchic" areas on maps here are just blank (and I'm guilty of this too), when there's so much going on inside them. So fill in the blanks, and create a map of a stateless region, the warlords or gangs or town militias or what have you that maintain or fail to maintain a bit of order, economic activity and how it functions without state protection, etc.

Sons of Chaos- Create a map showing an ATL terrorist network, at any time in (alternate) history. Training camps, major attacks, sources of arms and money, anything related to this terrorist group is okay.

Thoughts?

Sons of Chaos- Create a map showing an ATL terrorist network, at any time in (alternate) history. Training camps, major attacks, sources of arms and money, anything related to this terrorist group is okay.

Thoughts?

Mine can be summed up as "I like it. A lot."

Krall

Banned
The Gun is Our Government- (taken from a quote by a captured Somali pirate in Robert Kaplan's Monsoon, which I got for xmas) It's always bothered me that "anarchic" areas on maps here are just blank (and I'm guilty of this too), when there's so much going on inside them. So fill in the blanks, and create a map of a stateless region, the warlords or gangs or town militias or what have you that maintain or fail to maintain a bit of order, economic activity and how it functions without state protection, etc.

I most certainly approve of these two suggestions!

A Single Superstate map with one nation controlling over 50 % of the world. The challenge would be to keep the map interesting by focussing on internal divisons or something like this.

Glad people like my suggestions! I think that Sons of Chaos and The Gun is Our Government are different enough that it would be hard to combine them, but similar enough that if one got picked, the people rooting for the other would still be able to work in elements of the other. E.g., a Sons of Chaos map focusing on the reach of the network across the world could also include an inset showing terrorist bases within an anarchic area. Or on the other hand, a The Gun is Our Government map could show terrorist bases, with a note or something about what major attacks these terrorists pulled off, and where. So either way I don't think anybody will be disappointed. (Except maybe me, since I was secretly pulling for "Future Not Available" ;) :D ).

Krall

Banned
Okay, at the moment "Sons of Chaos" and "The Gun is our Government" are my favourites for MoF 28. I'll probably go with the former, since it seems to have more support from you fellows, unless there's a significant change in public opinion before the 2nd of January.

I'd go for Sons of Chaos for MoF 28, then put The Gun is our Government sometime in the late 30s (MoF 35?). The ideas are different, but would need a bit of a gap between them.

Krall

Banned
Well, I guess "Sons of Chaos" it is! I'll put "The Gun is our Government" in the bag of good ideas to run at a later date, and I'll post the entries thread for MotF 28 later today!