Alternate Weapons of War thread...

decoyship.png

SDI Gravelines Class Decoy Carrier
SDI Red Cliffs Class Decoy Carrier

Another of the SDI's Support class vessels, the Gravelines class decoy carriers were not as successful as their Hyperion class sister ships. Never less, the Gravelines class served a unique role in SDI's fleet: as a decoy.

Like the Hyperion class, the Gravelines class are built upon modified Thunderchild hulls, with a massively modified fore section. In the Gravelines case, the fore section was a series of large catapults and stowage for the cornerstone of its capabilities: the DSM-12 "fire ship"
Decoy Drone

The decoy concept was conceived as a way to counter the few detection systems that are less or unaffected by Electronic Warfare; namely visual detection and some infrared detection systems. the DSM -12 is basically a large unshielded reactor with a engine and some radios attached; once fired up, the large amount of radiation and heat produced is roughly similar to that of a larger Anzac or Thunderchild class vessel. with a large amount of radio traffic being pumped out to complete the illusion, an enemy could suddenly face several new contacts that can only be verified visually, a time consuming process which can take several precious seconds each, enough time for a ship to be knocked out.

Unfortunately, the concept, while good on paper (like many things) did not pan out so well in practice. the actual situations and conditions that the decoy system could be used successfully were very specific, and the opportunity to actually use them were rare (although when used properly they were quite successful; in one battle were drones were successfully deployed a small flight of SDI vessels managed to fend off a Martian task-force 3 times their size, including a Retribution class vessel).

With the limited supply of Thunderchild hulls to convert, a decision was made based on the lackluster performance to discontinue the Gravelines class and instead concentrate on the more useful Hyperion class. instead a new class was produced based on the Anzac class hull, the Red Cliffs class.

Despite the abysmal performance in their originally intended role, the Gravelines and Red Cliffs classes found new life in several more specialized roles. some were modified as launch platforms for defensive satellites in Earths orbit; others carried out deep space spy sat deployments. a few others would carry the DCM-12 combat drone, a modified fireboat armed with several small lasers and a single bomb pumped laser head. it is also beleaved that two vessels were requisitioned by SDI's intelligence wing; rumor has it they were modified to carry out dangerous atmospheric insertions of special operatives onto mars via special drop pods.

decoyship.png

Hapsburg

Banned
What's the size of these ships, if you don't mind my asking?

I've been thinking of redesigning some of mine in a more...realistic fashion; symmetrical and cylindrical, etc.

What's the size of these ships, if you don't mind my asking?

I've been thinking of redesigning some of mine in a more...realistic fashion; symmetrical and cylindrical, etc.

heh, that's a good question. too be honest i havent decided how big the ships actually are, but i imagine they would be fair bit bigger than anything we have today (for instance, i imagined the Flanker class to be about the same size as the international space station)

Hapsburg

Banned
Tentatively redesigned Dreadnought class Star Battleship. I've yet to edit in the secondary battery; it just has the primary guns and missile tubes. There are now 560 missile modules; each missile module can be loaded as a 10-cell Orca missile pod or a 5-round Humpback missile rotary launcher. Approximately 480 are mounted on the tower/wing structures. The other 80 are mounted at the base of the towers.
At the tip of two towers are the main Positron Blasters; the other two have manoeuvring thrusters. Mounted around the ship are 50 twin-gun Positron Batteries.
The ship is roughly 2 kilometres long and 1.27 kilometres wide, including the towers. Scale is one pixel per meter.

CGU Dreadnought cutaway.png

Don't act like your the best Kiat, My battleships can take those anti-ship missiles like there nothing because they use 100% steel decks, not wood then steel under. I ain't for stupid ass modern vessels anyway. But I did modernize 2 of my ships though.

Don't act like your the best Kiat, My battleships can take those anti-ship missiles like there nothing because they use 100% steel decks, not wood then steel under. I ain't for stupid ass modern vessels anyway. But I did modernize 2 of my ships though.

Act like? What are you talking about?

Gods, now you got that song stuck in my head....

Hopefully proving the end of the needless dick waving...

scale.png

This to scale image (1 pixel: 1m) shows the relative size's of the SDI's major combatants by the middle of the war (not including upgraded or special purpose vessel.) The large Grey object in the background is Gilgamesh-B, an large scale shipyard built into a hollowed out asteroid. it maintains a position at Gilgamesh Base, located at the L3 Earth-Sol Lagrange point, and is the primary shipyard for the construction of the powerful Ragnarok class vessels.

The problem of not doing your drawings to any sort of scale is that when it comes to applying some meaningful numbers to them, its kinda hard to figure out. as such the numbers shown in the above scale image could be subject to change in the near future if i can be stuffed thinking up better ones...

scale.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Edited in the secondary guns on the Dreadnought. I'll just post a link.

Also, I have a request: any of you think you can scale that picture up 6x and clean up the lines without it melting your computer? :D
If so, I'd like that picture; because anytime I try, it slugs the crap out of my computer. :(

Last edited:
Well Hapsburg and "The Kiat", fuck you both. You guys both think my ships are pieces of shit. Everything you guys made are even bigger, heavier, smellier pieces of shit :D
Dude, please, cool down; this kind of thing is what got Wyrmshadow banned, and being was pretty damn good at what he did, his "banishment" was a loss to this thread and indeed the whole site. I don't exactly know what has gone on between you three outside this thread, but whatever it is its not worth getting your blood pressure about (teh interwebs, remember!). If you feel you have been slighted then the proper, mature, response would be to say so; and in regards to anything anyone might have said to disparage your shipmaking abilities, I think that your ships are actually really good, and Ive got to say, a lot more realistic than say, the Blitzkreig Hailfisch (not to disparage Darkaiz, the all-mighty god-emperor of paint (may he live forever!)). To conclude my rambling discourse, calm down, because I don't want to lose you as we lost Wyrmshadow. *in yoda voice* "Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to banishment"

Also, I have a request: any of you think you can scale that picture up 6x and clean up the lines without it melting your computer? :D
If so, I'd like that picture; because anytime I try, it slugs the crap out of my computer. :(

well, i just had a shot scaling it up. got to X3 before my big ass computer (that can run freaking crysis on full graphics) decided a picture in paint was to much to handle and literally refused to do anymore.:mad:

Edit: scratch that, just tried again, got it to X6. want me to post it?