Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening everyone!

As I was pretty unsatisfied with my victoria style map I made another one based on a real map.
It's my first time using Photoshop, so if you can point me at shortcomings and hints how to do better I would be really glad.

City placement is still work in progress and unfortunately no latitudes and longitudes yet but will be added some day.

southamericawip3.jpg

Damn Treppe! Way to put me to shame, I thought at least I'd have the best South America map on this page, but no. Shot down. :D

Also, thanks ZachScape.

Good Evening everyone!

As I was pretty unsatisfied with my victoria style map I made another one based on a real map.
It's my first time using Photoshop, so if you can point me at shortcomings and hints how to do better I would be really glad.

City placement is still work in progress and unfortunately no latitudes and longitudes yet but will be added some day.

DAMN. I doubt there is anything you could improve here. This is excellent!

What are those green and yellow borders, may i ask? claims?

Given that France and the Netherlands, or perhaps more correctly, the Batavian Republic are larger and their seems to be an
Über-Bavaria I'm guessing that the Napoleonic Wars were successful.

Multi-national Australia is awesome, especially Danish North-West Australia.

Highlander

Banned
See, this is an excellent map.

You all should be taking notes.

You're taking notes, right? No? Your mother and I are very disappointed in you.

Good Evening everyone!

Concept of where I'm thinking of to place nations for my Dimension 16 timeline. Still very much a work in progress in the writing. Need to rewrite everything but the main concept is the same. Going to have Neanderthal instead of a made up species survive. They are the nations in Europe, while the ones in Africa and Greece are Homosapiens.

Story.png

Any particular reason for some of those borders? Also I think you missed some recoloring over in the words in OTL Washington and such.

well, I was looking at what claims each colony had prior to the Northwest Ordinance, and I tried to follow them West, using mostly rivers to create borders. After some point, I thought they would set up puppet states with natives without the strength USA's military had to put down rebellions, along with possible backing from other nations. Pennsylvania was unable to defeat Maryland during an early war due to the support of the Confederation, and New York.

I hadn't noticed the coloration mistakes in Washington, thanks for the catch :D

I would expect Pennsylvania going to war for either Delaware or Maryland. So near to the sea, but without access ....

Why go to war, when we originally had control over Delaware? It only got its independence when it requested it. However it had been given to Penn in the original deal. They just felt left out as the rest of Pennsylvania kept growing and they remained only 3 counties, so they asked to be separated from Pennsylvania.

So if Pennsylvania is going anywhere, it's annexing Delaware or Southern New Jersey (and it'll split the northern half with New York).

~Salamon2

@ Treppe: wow, that is a cool map! It is cool to see a royalist Argentina (Platinea). Of course, the only natural choice of sovereign should be Habsburg :cool:

Here is a map I stole from someone else on this board (sorry:() and changed somewhat. NAZI wank, but NAZI lite: instead of subjugating and destroying Slavs, the leadership decides to 'domesticate' them ("Germanicize" them - is that even a real adjective, I wonder?). Germany wins against Russia, and the East is divided into Gaue by 1975. Notice Hungary, which has been wanked out to the MAX!

Europe%201942%20internal%20borders%20I.png

Teleology

Banned
I'm wanting to do a map depicting a UK civil war between left-wing and right-wing factions after a corrupt and ineffectual Tory-New Labour Coalition government wavers in the face of a General Strike (done by the left-wing faction), resulting in a military coup (by the right wing faction). I need some advice.

In broad strokes, a generalized sort of way, what parts of the UK can you see as being centers of a right-wing faction and what parts as centers of a left-wing faction? If I can avoid making anyone go ("left-wingers in X?!" or "right-wingers in Y?!", I'll be happy; since I don't know much about the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to do a map depicting a UK civil war between left-wing and right-wing factions after a corrupt and ineffectual Tory-New Labour Coalition government wavers in the face of a General Strike (done by the left-wing faction), resulting in a military coup (by the right wing faction). I need some advice.

In broad strokes, a generalized sort of way, what parts of the UK can you see as being centers of a right-wing faction and what parts as centers of a left-wing faction? If I can avoid making anyone go ("left-wingers in X?!" or "right-wingers in Y?!", I'll be happy; since I don't know much about the United Kingdom.

I think the Scots might count as a third faction: if things break down to that degree, I suspect they might just try to jump the ship entirely and declare independence.

Bruce

Basically, the left would probably get the industrial coffin plus Wales, Scotland and most sizable urban areas. Rural areas north of Bristol could go either way, really, depending on when the POD is. Rural areas south of that, pretty solidly rightist. The map below might help, if you consider anything that isn't blue to be leftist.

uk2005.gif

I looked at the basis for your TL on the flag thread, and it seems interesting, though to be honest I think if there ever were a major strife of this kind, the factions wouldn't split so easily into left and right. Modernism, unionism and a strong central government opposed to traditionalism, independence and localism seems more likely - if that makes any sense at all.

Or those who want the theme of The Archers changed vs. those who don't, I suppose...

I was initially doing an ethnic map for the Ottoman Empire in one of my TL's, however given the intricacies and fact their were two dozen groups
I stopped and instead decided to do a lingual map for the Eurasian Union from the same TL.

Notes:
1. The map shows the official languages of the EaU and the largest non-official languages, their are several languages not shown.
2. Much of the Arabian interior and a significant portion of inner Africa is sparsely populated.
3. Languages and ethnicity don't always match up.

EaU Lingual Map.png

Last edited:
Ok, a map (loosely) inspired by one of the stories in the "Other Earths" (Jay Lake etc.) collection.

The UK held onto America, but the tail has come to wag the dog: the capital is now in North America. The monarchy was disposed with in the 1930s, but plenty of traces still remain: the old nobility lost little of their wealth in the political upheaval, the Prime Minister (more of a Presidential figure, power-wise, than OTL British Prime Ministers) when inaugurated is symbollically and briefly crowned with the crown of England and North America, and that bloody huge 1897 statue of the Queen Mother is still sitting in New York harbor.

The British monarchy hangs on in Australia, more populous (40 millions) and industrialized a country than OTL, but of late has become a quite cordial ally of the United Empire.

The Empire suffers from severe internal stress: the Scots are a bit of a pain, but far worse is middle America, where a theocratic rebellion from the late 90's on has only recently been brought to heel, and the horrific stress killed the previous president (who looked oddly like George Bush :rolleyes: ) in late 2006. Even now, a huge patch of the country is still under martial law, and bombs still regularly go off across the country.

Not that the trouble was confined to the domestic situation. The Fascistic (and rather richer and more powerful than OTL) Chinese Empire took advantage of the situation to launch an invasion of the Formosan Republic and Japan (a less successful modernizer than in our world: currently about as rich per capita as Malaysia and with about 190 million inhabitants - some 10% fewer than before the invasion). Only thanks to Russian support (and, it must be admitted, Japanese intransigence) did China finally back down and accept a cease-fire.

Not that the US gets along well with Russia, either. Russia is a leftist dictatorship (although the syndicalist "union of workers cooperatives" is a more decentralized setup than our USSR - 100 little tyrants for every big one in our USSR, and a lot of behind-the-scenes dealmaking hidden by a united outwards front), and is always busy trying to undermine the position of the Empire in the middle east, where the biggest powers are leftist and pro-Russian. They also have an old grudge re eastern Siberia, which in a more successful "pro-white" intervention than OTL first became an Empire protectorate, and eventually a full part (it is currently English-Russian bilingual).

Syndicalist and theocratic unrest continue in Latin America and post-colonial Africa, although theocrats are a minor problem in mostly Catholic latin America outside of formerly British Guyana. A theocratic regime exists in East Africa, but it being an African country, most people don't take it any more seriously than they did Afghanistan OTL before 9/11. South Africa is Dutch-speaking, and after certain "resettlement programs", over 50% white, 'colored', and Asian. There is no Israel, but there was no holocaust in this world, and the Islamic world is not associated with fundamentalist violence in this world, although there have been rumblings in Africa and the Arabian peninsula. The Republic of North Arabia is the one big US ally in the middle eastern region, a right-wing arab nationalist state with atomic weapons, which contends for regional leadership with Iran and Egypt.

Other major US allies include Australia and the Union of the Southern Cross, a richer area than in OTL. India is generally friendly, but has internal problems of its own. Relations with the United States of Europe are often a bit prickly, cultural and political differences - as well as competition for market share - being constant irritants, as is the historical tendency of the Empire to act as if "The Wogs Begin at the Channel." They share a common interest in preventing the Russians from dominating the Middle East, but since bloodying the Syndicalist Union's nose in the Baltic War of '42-'44, they feel they can take care of themselves, and have gone a lot further than the US in moving towards atomic and other forms of alternate energy.

The United Empire was slow to give up slavery, including as it did large parts of the Caribbean as well as OTLs Confederate States, and full civil rights are as recent and the "boundaries" uncertain as they were OTL in the 1970s. They also have a "culture war" division rather worse than ours: besides a strong evangelical tradition with no-bones-about-it belief in creating a "Christian" nation, it also has a loudly athiestic, humanist, "new enlightenment" movement far more influential than Richard Dawkins and Co. OTL, which often descended into outright violence _before_ things went out of control in the late 90's. The new president is Hispanic, a "man of reason" to the rationalists, a devout Christian to the religious, and catholic (and therefore considered likely to maintain an appropriate distance between things that are Gods and those which are Ceasars). His challenges - to give American blacks more of a stake in the system, to reduce international tensions, and to heal the wounds of the recent conflict - are huge, but at least for now the violence of the last decade has alienated most Christian believers from the extremists.

One odd difference between this world and ours is the existence of a recent (last few centuries) genetic ailment known as "brain fever": those who have it tend to be extemely intelligent, as obsessively focused as the autistic or those with obsessive-compulsive disorders - and often dangerously sociopathic. Such people, since the mutation began to be identified as something different from demonic possession or general 'witchyness' in the 18th century, have been generally segregated from society, whether by being locked up, sterilized, killed...without too much protest from the mercy-minded, since they _have_ been responsible for some horrendous crimes. [1] There are rumors that many governments use them as a valuable intellectual resource, set loose on problems under carefully controlled conditions. Even the United Empire and the Europeans lock them up "for their own safety", although some success has been achieved in controlling their nastier personality quirks with medication.

Bruce

[1] People in this world would mistake "The Silence of the Lambs" for a documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.