Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here's the map.

Bruce

Aragonese.png

mowque

Banned
I like the map Bruce. Although, why is "Texas' Such a weird shape? Is that a natural shape for a colony there?

France looks like Gaullanglia (say it fast, I think it sounds cool). Also, I like what you've done with Siam. Good map. And sorry for cutting your posts in half. I must've started typing before you posted the TL. :(

Hapsburg

Banned
And, once again, continuing from a map with no comments. :p

The world, circa April 2021.

In January of 2017, NATO troops marched into Carpathian Ruthenia and swiftly retook cities that had fallen to the Russian alliance. The next step was to press into Ukraine proper. However, in order to do that, they required a secure northern flank. The NATO combined troops that had won the battle for Lublin launched an attack on Lvov, following an intense aerial bombardment of Army Group Ruthenia's forward positions. Two weeks into January, the Prussian 1st Corps surrounded Lvov and shelled it, while the 101st Airborne Division was brought in to para-drop into the city and secure key locations. Then, Polish and Canadian troops moved in to support the American forces, with an armoured column from the Bavarian brigades flanking around to cut off Ukrainian reinforcements. Surgical strikes by American and British air wings crippled the Russians and the city fell after two days of hard urban fighting. Around 2,500 Allied soldiers were lost, compared to some 4,500 Russian and 3,000 Ukrainian troops. Most of the Russian troops surrendered and were taken prisoner.
It was a critical victory. The NATO armies were able to secure Western Ukraine and allowed the Austrian and Germans corps in Slovakia, organised as NATO Army Group Centre, to link up with NATO Army Group East near the city of Brest.
Meanwhile, the remnants of Army Group North held out against a crushing siege in Koenigsberg that had been dragging on since July the previous year. Russia's Baltic Corps moved had made forays into the city in December, brief raids amidst the constant shelling; on January 30, they made a full strike and marched twelve divisions into the city. Outnumbered 2 to 1, the German and Polish mixed divisions set up ambush points and turned the battle into a carnage with gritty house-to-house fighting. Russian reserves from Lithuania bolstered their strength to twenty divisions, most of them armoured. However, their armoured vehicles only became prey to NATO antitank weapons and civilian partisan attacks. The battle raged on for two months, sapping Russian troops and preventing them from countering NATO advances in Ukraine and Belarus.

Army Groups Centre and East moved north towards Minsk, albeit slowly. Russian special forces had demolished highways and bridges, and defensive lines made progress difficult. In early March, the spearhead of Army Group Centre, the 1st Prussian Corps, pressed onto Minks itself; the 1st Bavarian Corps and Royal Canadian Corps moved to secure Grodno and Gomel, respectively, while the American 1st Expeditionary Corps acted as a reserve force to the Prussian assault on Minsk.
The battle was not particularly bloody, but it was noted for the brutality with which the Russian forces attempted to stave off the NATO forces. The campaign completed itself within a week, and Belarus fell to NATO hands. Parts of the two army groups swung south to the Dnieper and marched along to central Ukraine; their target: Kiev.
Meanwhile, NATO forces continued regular airstrikes on Russian oilfields in the Caucasus, destroying much of Russia's petroleum reserves; fuelling their vehicles would become a crippling supply problem. In early April, China cut a deal with Khwarezm that saw the acquisition of Xinjiang once more, so long as China stayed out of the war. A necessary action, as China had wanted that province back even if it had to cooperate with NATO. This ensured that China would not devastate Khwarezm.

Late April saw both the battle for Kiev and the conclusion of the Battle of Koenigsberg. On April 23rd, around 450,000 men of the reorganised Army Group Centre laid siege to Kiev; as with Lublin and Lvov, artillery strikes were aimed to soften up Russian positions while infantry and armoured divisions moved in. British and American paratroops dropped into the city to secure key choke-points. However, things went awry in the parachute operation and many men were killed; the NATO tank divisions had precious little infantry support and took heavy losses. The battle turned only when the Canadian divisions were sent in and bravely held their positions so that more armoured columns could be brought forward. The battle was the single largest of the war, having half a million men engaged at once; it was also by far the bloodiest, as the NATO army took approximately 70,000 casualties total, the Russian forces lost around the same. Many more Russian troops died from frostbite or injuries in the retreat across eastern Ukraine.
To the north, reinforcements arrived from Germany to lift the Russian assault on Koenigsberg. After a harrowing battle, the Russians were forced to flee north to the Baltic territories by May 1st; around 10,000 German troops had died in addition to 40,000 wounded. Russian losses were pegged around twice that.

In Romania, NATO Army Group South had pushed across the Carpathians and recaptured Bucharest after months of hard fighting. Austrian and Bulgarian armoured brigades swept in and pushed the Russians out of Moldavia. The successes of the American Marine Corps in this endeavour, as well as those in Eastern Europe, gave much political capital to President Compton.
The capture of Vilnius from Russian hands in late May was the death knell for any potential of Russian victory. The Baltic states were liberated by NATO forces, and Army Group North paused to reinforce its positions. The Russian army by this point was broken, exhausted, and nearly out of fuel for its vehicles or aircraft. Provisional governments were formed in Romania, Belarus, Lithuania, and Livonia; UN Peacekeepers were called in to maintain fair elections. In Romania, a coalition of royalist and conservative parties gained a majority in the hundred-man provisional parliament. A bill was proposed that would restore the Romanian monarchy; the republican government was seen as weak and ineffectual due to its impotence during the Russian invasion. This, combined with the popularity of the royal family, who had assisted Romanian partisans by donating much of their fortune to the resistance, resulted in a resurgence of popular monarchism. The bill passed by a slim margin on April 17, and the ageing Michael I was restored to his throne, at age 96. New national elections were held when the provisional parliament passed the torch to a new constitutional government.

April saw the final NATO military operation in Russia. Army Group North linked up with several German divisions and the Yukon Hussars Brigade from Army Group East around Riga. A new operation was planned to strike at Pskov, a major Russian outpost that supplied forces in northern Livonia. The Peipus Campaign lasted from April 22 to April 31, and saw the city fall to the NATO troops. Russian attempts to reinforce the garrison before the NATO strike met with failure due to lack of adequate supplies, especially fuel. By June, Russia was practically out of petroleum reserves and vehicle parts, due to NATO bombing of factories and refineries.
In Russia, the President suspended Parliament; in a meeting with his cabinet, he suggested the use of tactical nuclear weapons to achieve a breakthrough. This was the final straw. On June 11, the Minister of War sent orders to all army groups to cease all hostile actions on the frontier and ordered the 1st Guards Division, which were maintained as the city garrison for Moscow, to arrest the President. Most of the cabinet sided with him and effectively mutinied against the Russian President.

The coup in Moscow led to a ceasefire agreement within a week. The Russian ultranationalists were expelled from parliament and the government was suspended until a peace could be formulated. However, it seemed that the war was mostly over in the east. To the south, however, Serbian troops held off against NATO soldiers even as Bosnia and southern Serbia was occupied entirely. It wasn't until the bombing of Belgrade and its capture by the American Marines 1st Division on June 28 that the Serbian government surrendered. The official surrender of the Khwarezmid government followed a week later. The war that had began in February of 2016 was finally over, in June of 2017. Approximately 621,000 people had died, including civilian deaths.
A peace treaty was signed at Koenigsberg on July 1 after much deliberation, mediated by the UN. It stipulated that Belarus, Ukraine, Livonia, Lithuania, and Georgia would be reconstituted in their pre-war borders with Russia, and Russia would relinquish all claims to them. Parts of western Belarus and Ukraine, including Lvov, would be annexed by Poland; all of Kazakhstan would be restored to the Federation of Khwarezm. In the south, Vojvodina and the Banat would be annexed by Austria, as well as the Croatian parts of Bosnia. Yugoslavia would be reorganised as the United Provinces of Serbia, composed of North Serbia, South Serbia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro as constituent autonomous states. Albania would be reconstituted from Serbian territory and made UN zone under Italian and Greek protection. East Prussia was made a German Mandate which would be issued a referendum after five years on whether to join Germany or Poland. All war criminals, that is to say the heads of state and government of Russia and Serbia as well as several key army and paramilitary leaders, would be extradited for trial in Brussels. UN Peacekeepers would be stationed in Brussels and Albania for the next ten years.

The Russian War was the key conflict of the 21st century. It would set the stage for future political development in Europe. NATO became stronger as a result of the cooperation during the conflict; Germany and Poland formed a brotherly bond that had previously never existed. Perhaps its greatest effect was that it secured the credibility of President Charles Compton on the Federal Republic of America. From rookie senator to provisional head of government to chief of state, he had risen and solidified his position in American politics. In November of 2020, he used the victories of the war as political capital was was re-elected President. In the years between the war's end and the 2020 election, he implemented critical healthcare and education reforms, instituting an NHS modelled on Britain's and establishing new national endowment programs for the arts and sciences. These cemented his liberal credentials and helped in reforming the so-called Compton Coalition of the Democrats, Greens, and Labor Party into a single political party, the Federal Union Party, which advocated for stronger central government and a modified Keynesian economy. This new single party achieved a majority in both houses of parliament in the 2020 General Elections.

In early 2021, tensions rose in Africa with the annexation of Uganda by the Federal Democratic of Equatorial Africa. The East African Federation, which had formed just years before and joined the Commonwealth of Nations as a Commonwealth Realm, mobilised its army in case of Equatorial African aggression between Lake Victoria and Lake Tanganyika. The Empire of Ethiopia, the restored Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, South Africa, and Botswana mobilised to assist. In a world still reeling from the war in Russia, Africa became a new flashpoint as revolutionary guerillas in Kenya and Burundi rose in an effort to seize the local government and forcibly join with Equatorial Africa.

Post-Hacker World Afterwar.png

Last edited:
A Map loosely based on Ilario by Mary Gentle

It is 1428 and there are 4 Emperors

The Emperor of Carthage: Thorismund V, Arian Christian and descendant of the Visigothic conquerors of North Africa. With his Iberian Vassals, Baetica, Aragon, Pamplona, Tarraconensis, Catalonia and Asturias he wages perpetual crusade against the heathen Franks. (although he is doing rather badly, considering the borders used to be near Poitiers)

The Holy Roman Emperor of the Frankish Nation: Heinric X, defender of the roman church, King of the Franks, Germans and Romans. The frankish empire is a sprawling muck heap of competing fuedal lordships, only ceasing to fight one another if they can fight somewhere else, the greeks only just kicked them out. important states include Bavaria, Friesland-Burgundy, Toulouse, Aquitaine, Saxony, Brittany.

The (greek) Emperor: The only lineal heir of Rome, altough his domains are rather small

The Holy Khagan of the Romans, Greeks and Turks: Corc I. the turks were invited into anatolia by the Byzantines in the hope of turning back the persians, didnt work out so well. point of note turkey is the southern steppes of russia, as opposed to antolia and its the Khaganate of Iconium

Other powers include England, rich, united and very Anglo-Saxon (and going on a american holiday), Egypt (Coptic), Hungary and Galicia-Vendia

hydrographymap.png

Krall

Banned
Krall's post wasn't that great. It was just common sense. The map wasn't that great. This cult of personality around him is rather inane. And besides, I don't even know what "Epic Win' means.

I think the cult of personality is made up entirely of 09camaro. Other people don't seem to worship me (despite my efforts to persuade them to do so), they just play off forum tropes and in-jokes for humourous effect.

It, er, does get a bit out of hand sometimes, though.

Hey Krall I has map for joo.

I've seen worse.

I don't worship Krall. (I just summon Krall from time to time when justice and peace needs to be restored to the universe)
I just understand that Krall is a concentrator of superior reasoning... (Don't ask about that)

So... Anyone agrees?

B_Munro, as a mostly-lurker-sometimes-map-maker, I look at (or glance at, if the pages are mapless) most if not all of the map thread, and I have to say I really like your maps and situations. You use simple methods, and yet I look at your maps longer than a lot of the maps that are more works of art. I just wanted to tell you good job, looking forward to more in the future.

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
To put some things in context. And, yes, it is quite implausible; I've heard it all before. But, remember: story takes precedence; this is a TL that was largely built to link two fictional universes of mine into a single continuity.

Germany was devastated by the chaos caused by Samuel Lloyd and the aftermath of his organisation's internecine mob war after his death. Conservative Bavaria voted to restore its monarchy in late 1999 after the failure of the republican government to keep the peace. Francis Wittelsbach, a German citizen and popular among the Bavarian people, accepted and was made Francis I of Bavaria. In a chain reaction, Baden-Württemberg dissolved itself into the Grand Duchy of Baden, the Kingdom of Württemberg, and the Principality of Hohenzollern, restoring all three's sovereigns in May of 2000.

The parliament of the Free State of Saxony followed the trend, voting to restore the throne, and a referendum placed Prince Alexander of Saxe-Gessaphe in the role of King of Saxony in December of 2000. The local parliament of Brandenburg was the next to restore their monarchy, and the Prince of Hohenzollern was made King of Prussia; followed by North Rhine-Westphalia in March of 2001 and Saxony-Anhalt in July of 2001. The Federal Government was still republican, along with Mecklenburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saar, Hesse, Lower Saxony, and Thuringia. This situation remained so until the September 2002 general elections. The CDU and CSU coalition joined with several liberal nationalist and regional parties; the CSU and several coalition parties supported a federal restoration and their influence increased in the debates for one.

Eventually, partly at the insistence of the Bavarian Christian Democrats and Federal Chancellor Edmund Stoiber, a bill was passed in June 2003 that put the question to a general plebiscite; the advocacy groups had until November 1 to campaign. In the meantime, Lower Saxony restored its native throne, Ernest Augustus V; the King of Hanover proceeded to restore the Duchy of Brunswick with his second son, Prince Christian, as titular Duke, though he reigned only in name.
The referendum passed in a narrow margin, but it passed nonetheless; Parliament set to work on a constitution. The Constitution of the Empire of the Germans was passed a month later; it was largely the same as the Basic Laws, except that it stipulated internal boundaries to roughly match those of 1866, with inheritance changes shifting some duchies and principalities around. The second son of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Prince Felix, was made Duke of Nassau. King Frederick IV of Prussia was crowned in Frankfurt on December 25 as Emperor of the Germans.
Germany later acquired Koenigsberg and Pomerania in a land deal with Poland.

Map of the German Empire 2015.png

Last edited:
I don't worship Krall. (I just summon Krall from time to time when justice and peace needs to be restored to the universe)
I just understand that Krall is a concentrator of superior reasoning... (Don't ask about that)

So... Anyone agrees?
To me, he's just there to insult maps.

I think the cult of personality is made up entirely of 09camaro. Other people don't seem to worship me (despite my efforts to persuade them to do so), they just play off forum tropes and in-jokes for humourous effect.

It, er, does get a bit out of hand sometimes, though.
I do not worship you Krall. I merely just take humorous things that I have come across throughout my visits to this board and sig them. It just so happens that at this time, I have two from you.

But, the Cleveland show is supposed to start September 27.. :D

In future, where Maghreb is peacefull place associated with united Europe,
great plan was implemented with which definitely changed a certain area of the desert: into the sea! Berber Sea. Water is more salty than in Mediterran, but industry is growing around the shores, and fields on southern Atlas are sprayed by the breeze rains.

2vxodc1.png

Maybe someday I will post something similar about Qattara.

To put some things in context. And, yes, it is quite implausible; I've heard it all before. But, remember: story takes precedence; this is a TL that was largely built to link two fictional universes of mine into a single continuity.

Germany was devastated by the chaos caused by Samuel Lloyd and the aftermath of his organisation's internecine mob war after his death. Conservative Bavaria voted to restore its monarchy in late 1999 after the failure of the republican government to keep the peace. Francis Wittelsbach, a German citizen and popular among the Bavarian people, accepted and was made Francis I of Bavaria. In a chain reaction, Baden-Württemberg dissolved itself into the Grand Duchy of Baden, the Kingdom of Württemberg, and the Principality of Hohenzollern, restoring all three's sovereigns in May of 2000.

The parliament of the Free State of Saxony followed the trend, voting to restore the throne, and a referendum placed Prince Alexander of Saxe-Gessaphe in the role of King of Saxony in December of 2000. The local parliament of Brandenburg was the next to restore their monarchy, and the Prince of Hohenzollern was made King of Prussia; followed by North Rhine-Westphalia in March of 2001 and Saxony-Anhalt in July of 2001. The Federal Government was still republican, along with Mecklenburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saar, Hesse, Lower Saxony, and Thuringia. This situation remained so until the September 2002 general elections. The CDU and CSU coalition joined with several liberal nationalist and regional parties; the CSU and several coalition parties supported a federal restoration and their influence increased in the debates for one.

Eventually, partly at the insistence of the Bavarian Christian Democrats and Federal Chancellor Edmund Stoiber, a bill was passed in June 2003 that put the question to a general plebiscite; the advocacy groups had until November 1 to campaign. In the meantime, Lower Saxony restored its native throne, Ernest Augustus V; the King of Hanover proceeded to restore the Duchy of Brunswick with his second son, Prince Christian, as titular Duke, though he reigned only in name.
The referendum passed in a narrow margin, but it passed nonetheless; Parliament set to work on a constitution. The Constitution of the Empire of the Germans was passed a month later; it was largely the same as the Basic Laws, except that it stipulated internal boundaries to roughly match those of 1866, with inheritance changes shifting some duchies and principalities around. The second son of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Prince Felix, was made Duke of Nassau. King Frederick IV of Prussia was crowned in Frankfurt on December 25 as Emperor of the Germans.
Germany later acquired Koenigsberg and Pomerania in a land deal with Poland.
That. Is. Awesome.

But, you need Habsburg Emperors or it's just not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.