Flag Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on a post way back inna dawn o' this thread, an alternate Chinese flag. Uses a stylized big dipper, with Dubhe represented by a twelve-pointed star. Yellow is for the sacred earth of the [Empire/Republic/whatevs] and red is for the fortune of her people.

Lovely. This would make a great flag for some kind of alternate Chinese Republic.

Seems a bit off-centre though.

Lovely. This would make a great flag for some kind of alternate Chinese Republic.

Seems a bit off-centre though.
Thanks - and yeah. The constellation is a group centred on the flag, but because the emblem's so much wider on the right than it is on the left, it looks quite skewed. Grr.

Last edited:
Costa Rica is the blue-white-blue tricolor of the Central American Federation combined with red to represent the ideals of revolutionary France.

Right, but that's not a frankenflag. That's a unique flag design that represents the country's historical and ideological heritage. There are plenty of OTL flags with similar origin stories. Italy comes to mind immediately.

Now, if a someone designed the Costa Rican flag but said it was for French-dominated Central America or something ridiculous like that, then it'd be more of a frankenflag.

Thanks - and yeah. The constellation is a group centred on the flag, but because the emblem's so much wider on the right than it is on the left, it looks quite skewed. Grr.

I think it's because the main star is so big. If you moved it up from centre a bit it could balance the whole thing out.

Right, but that's not a frankenflag. That's a unique flag design that represents the country's historical and ideological heritage. There are plenty of OTL flags with similar origin stories. Italy comes to mind immediately.

Now, if a someone designed the Costa Rican flag but said it was for French-dominated Central America or something ridiculous like that, then it'd be more of a frankenflag.

Meh, it's still two flags combined into one, but for a different purpose than the sort of thing that often gets posted here. But can we at least agree that it's not doing us much good to debate the meaning of a term that does not, strictly speaking, exist? :)

I think it's because the main star is so big. If you moved it up from centre a bit it could balance the whole thing out.

Here's a slightly off-center version:

Shaukerhoistjustified.PNG

that actually really brings it together in terms of scale quite nicely.

Seconded! Excellent job.

Well, here's two flags I've been cooking up:

The first (this one ;) ) is the flag of the British Dominion of Union, and its modern counterpart, the Union of America. This nation exists in the timeline that I am working on presently, in which the British and (a more numerous and aggressive) Loyalist forces manage to crush the Rebellion of the Thirteen Colonies, and resembles a unique force within the British Commonwealth in TTL. The Red Ensign was changed to green to represent the dense woods of america, and for the uniforms of the loyalists during the war.

British US 'A'.png

Here, on a more original note, is the modern incarnation (in its timeline) of the American Commonwealth (I posted that flag earlier). I am not, however, at liberty to tell you the symbology just yet(as its timeline will be released soon, and the symbology is a major spoiler).

Suffice to say that it represents a new form of government sweeping the world that never really took off OTL...

(those who look at the file designation of the flag will get a sneak peek, but just know that the terms are worlds apart between TTL and OTL).

Syndicalist commonwealth flag.png

Huh, by the symbolism I would have though some new-age religious movement came to power.

No, Iori, I will not write a timeline in which America is a scientologist theocracy!!!! ;)

Seriously though, I'd never put you through that!

And the star on my commonwealth flags is an ancient design (the only way to make six points in one stroke), similar in concept to the Nazi use of the swastika.
Then again, since Puritanism and calvinism are major faiths in this timeline...:D

Thanks for the response Iori.

Seconded! Excellent job.

Well, here's two flags I've been cooking up:

The first (this one ;) ) is the flag of the British Dominion of Union, and its modern counterpart, the Union of America. This nation exists in the timeline that I am working on presently, in which the British and (a more numerous and aggressive) Loyalist forces manage to crush the Rebellion of the Thirteen Colonies, and resembles a unique force within the British Commonwealth in TTL. The Red Ensign was changed to green to represent the dense woods of america, and for the uniforms of the loyalists during the war.

A Green Ensign?

Brilliant! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.