Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate version of the same.

81DaysAlt.png

Last edited:
After WWIII, the PRC along with the other defeated powers of the Comintern relocated to Mars, taking swathes of refugees with them. Many however were left behind and the victorious United States granted control of what was left of the mainland to it’s ally on Taiwan. Dome Cities like those on Venus sprouted up, designed to fend off not searing heat and acid rain but radioactive ash. The survivors were corralled into the cities, partly for their own good and partly to keep an eye on them. There was a deep paranoia of a resurgent Communist insurgency. This persisted in the regions which bordered the former USSR, and were essentially left to their own devices by a Nationalist government which wanted to hold onto what it could and not waste energy fighting for scraps of toxic heath.

Twelve years later, humanity went to war once again. The Mayans had predicted the world would come to an end in 2012 and they were proved right as the Axis and the Americans went to war. The war was total and all-consuming. The North Hemisphere was devastated, and the Southern Hemisphere was scarred. The lowlands slowly drowned in fallout, and every year the world grows colder, dryer and more poisonous. Life in the Northern Hemisphere persists in the mountains under very specific circumstances.

For the states of Southeast Asia, they threw their contingency plans in with their respective bloc, either helping to fund the Venusian Dome Cities, the Non-Aligned League’s space habitats or the Comintern’s irrigation of Mars. What remnants that have been left behind live a desperate existence essentially reverted to the medieval era. In Central Asia, the larger territories of the mountains encourage a nomadic existence, and it is a little easier for them to organise at something more complex than a village. But in former China, things are more complex.

Shielded by their relative isolation and their lofty location, Tibet has emerged as a great power. A new Dalai Lama has arisen to rule a new Tibetan Empire, but as the Empire presses against other survivor states at it’s boundaries, they increasingly look to claim the Mandate of Heaven and establish a new Chinese Empire, predicated on a radical, apocalyptic strain of Buddhism. Their main rival are the denizens of the Domes and mountains of Southern China, which since WWIV has reorganised as a technocratic, utilitarian state. The Municipal Governors, estranged from Taiwan since their appointment have established a feudal empire enforced by their control of life-saving technology. The ROC persists on Taiwan, still claiming the mainland plaintively. Scatters amongst the mountains and high ground of the rest of China, Neo-Maoists have taken control of the survivor communities. They maintain organisation via radio, but are essentially independent from one another and live little differently from the mountain tribes of Southeast Asia. Neo-Maoism is a religious tinge to it, venerating the Eternal Chairman. Warriors in power armour traverse the toxic wilderness, bringing goods from the Inner Mongolia heartland to maintain a slightly more civilised existence at roughly 19th Century levels.

ssseastasia.png

My poor attempt at making a partial world map. TL's the one in my signature. How's it look?

I like the map. The borders seem reasonable and the map is very clear and understandable, but I have some issues with the different tribes:
-I doubt the Huns could push Germans out of central Europe. They were steppe based and not even the majority in their own empire. They might be able to subjugate some tribes farther to the west than OTL but they can not assimilate them. And why would they bother with the rather poor and harsh Germania if Rome seems more promising?
-the Chatti became a part of the Franks - similar to the Angli becoming a part of the English - having both groups at the same times seems unlikely. There was a bit but not a lot left of a distinct Chatti identity by the time your timelune is set.

I like the map. The borders seem reasonable and the map is very clear and understandable, but I have some issues with the different tribes:
-I doubt the Huns could push Germans out of central Europe. They were steppe based and not even the majority in their own empire. They might be able to subjugate some tribes farther to the west than OTL but they can not assimilate them. And why would they bother with the rather poor and harsh Germania if Rome seems more promising?
-the Chatti became a part of the Franks - similar to the Angli becoming a part of the English - having both groups at the same times seems unlikely. There was a bit but not a lot left of a distinct Chatti identity by the time your timelune is set.

The Chatti remained in A small remnant behind the Franks, although many had assimilated, my TL is differentiates in the year 300. The franks are conquered soon after the POD, where the remnant Chatti become the dominant tribe afterwards, now having a border with Rome. (I've checked maps the Chatti existed with the Franks around this time, assimilating in the later half of the century) Germanic tribes had been forced out by the Huns originally, and they broke into the Gaul and Hispanian Remnant Roman Empire.(The POD basically forms a bunch a Diodechi states). The Huns conquer Germany over a longer period of time than Attilla. As independent tribes. Many are labled as Hunnic Tribes because they are completely dependant vassals. That isn't one unified Hunnic State. Actually in the next update they destroy and conquer much of the Gaul based Rome. The Germans are the majority in Germania. However, it is listed as Hunnic because the overlords are Huns. (Although rather Germanized Huns). They have constantly tried to remove the Illyrians and attack them, but the Illyrians are much stronger than OTL, due to a gothic alliance, and a series of good emperors. They however have lost Dacia. If you have any other questions I'm happy to answer. :p

Map for an ISOT scenario from Xandrel. Writeup here. https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=11985733&postcount=5

Some south African ideas cheerfully stolen from SRegan.

The mere act of having the Spanish aband on two cities they held for centuries- while also having Tangier keep around- goes a long way to pointing both to how much Spanish society changed and the international system kept to it's old ways to a degree. Strang how three cities, even if you ignore the rest of the map and the scenario it was based on, can tell so much.

I don't as much. The U.S. seems less special in that many of it's southern neighbors are bound to have one or more Trans-continental railroads,
Not really, depending how you count them, there's 6-10 transcons between the US and Canada alone (3 to UP, BNSF, CP have 2, CN has one, the way I count them). And I'm sure Ferromex, KCSdM, the various Central American countries, and the Panama canal (since, let's face it, that's really the only one competing with the US Class 1s) come close to, if not more than, double the number of connections.

As has been previously remarked in a rather cliché manner, the possibility of the settlement on the sun has long since dwelt the land of the Impossible.
A wank, so so to speak.
MQYbYuf.png

Last edited:
Just like I did last year, I'm going to compile a Best of the Map Thread 2015 this year as well. Since I disagree with the direction the Turtledoves went this year I'll make it a little more involved. I'll make a wide list as well as some "Tops" and maybe even make a fancy graphic or two.

I have 100 pages left to parse through but here's a (rather shitty) preview of what I've nabbed so far.
F2zxQR5.gif

Here's a wank.

In a world where one country holds both the Yukon and Alaska there really is no reason to separate the two. The boundary only exists because of competition over what amounts to essentially one area.

Map for an ISOT scenario from Xandrel. Writeup here. https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=11985733&postcount=5

Some south African ideas cheerfully stolen from SRegan.

Incredibly detailed scenario and a blast to read. You clearly put a great deal of thought into this world and it was phenomenally fun to think about. Thanks for this!

Here's a wank.

Zaire?? Indonesia????? What was the motivation for including these two places in such a wank?

Incredibly detailed scenario and a blast to read. You clearly put a great deal of thought into this world and it was phenomenally fun to think about. Thanks for this!

Zaire?? Indonesia????? What was the motivation for including these two places in such a wank?

Indonesia I think because OTL they got the Philippines, and would sort of be the logical progression. Zaire probably because It's a cliché to give it to a random western power. I've even done a map of Finnish Congo after WW2.

In a world where one country holds both the Yukon and Alaska there really is no reason to separate the two. The boundary only exists because of competition over what amounts to essentially one area.

Maybe one territory was obtained after the other? Probably not the best division of the area, but there's all sorts of practical and left-over borders lying around in OTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.