Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png

This is just something I made for fun. Basically what happened is in 1903, the Czechs and Hungarians rose up against Austria, igniting a nationalist movement in Central Europe.

The rebellion finally ended in 1906, with the nations of Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Poland & Lithuania given full independence, Bavaria given limited independence & Serbia & Greece given more land.

Also, I'm new here, so please feel free to suggest any tips or ask questions. :)

Thank you!

image.png

Chicxulub

Banned
View attachment 268106

This is just something I made for fun. Basically what happened is in 1903, the Czechs and Hungarians rose up against Austria, igniting a nationalist movement in Central Europe.

The rebellion finally ended in 1906, with the nations of Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Poland & Lithuania given full independence, Bavaria given limited independence & Serbia & Greece given more land.

Also, I'm new here, so please feel free to suggest any tips or ask questions. :)

Thank you!

Eastern Germany was mainly inhabited by, well, Germans, not Poles, Poland would be more likely to contain Russian land.

View attachment 268106

Thank you!
The western borders of of Poland are too reminiscent of the OTL post-WW2 ones. With this at this point in time the population in most of these territories (excluding Greater Poland) would've been predominately German.

EDIT: ninja'd by Sketchy

AIU%20symbol.png

The ALL-INDIAN UNION is the world's most populated country, possesses the world's largest economy by GDP and is the seventh largest country in the world by landmass. The AIU is a member of the IBRI group, of the IO-EA, the UN, the DCG among other organisations, although it is not a member of the UN's Security Council. The AIU has an estimated GDP per capita (PPC) of about 7,100 US$, albeit with considerable internal differences, with a wealthier west and south and the poorer north and east of the Union. The Union capital is New Delhi, located in the self-governing Union Territory of Delhi, and rebuilt from the ashes of the Indo-Punjabi War's Siege of Delhi (1981).
The Union is religiously and ethnically diverse, with practically every major world religion practiced, ranging from Christianity to Jainism, alongside the various Hinduist cults, Islam, Ba'hai to the animist faiths of Assam. The Union is also home to 31 official languages written in more than a dozen co-official scripts and from more than three different family trees although the most spoken language in the Union is Hindustani. The administrative language of the All-Indian Union is, however, English as a neutral language without any particular relation to any one Member State of the Union. The Union is formed by 11 Member States, with their own particular forms of government, ranging from unitary states such as Sindh to the decentralised structure of the Deccan Federation but also including two city-states.
The Union is the end product of the long and arduous road of re-integration into the national community after the breakup of the Union of India during the 1970s crises. The AIU was officially founded by the Treaty of Porbandar in 1993 after the various round of economic, fiscal and military integration that followed the UN-brokered Accords of Lashore. The final stages of the AIU creation were set in 1995 when both the new rupee and the All-Indian Military Force were formally established, replacing the previous Member state militaries and currencies.
The AIU's process of integration attracted much attention during its formative years and several states from the Union's neighbourhood applied for an associate status. Although this was denied for those states outside of the traditional Indian subcontinent cultural area, it was the seed of the modern-day Indian Ocean Economic Area, an economic and monetary union with eight members and one applicant in various degrees of integration across the Indian Ocean.

(Emblem designed by Krall)

AIU%20definitive%20map.png

Chicxulub

Banned
AIU%20symbol.png

The ALL-INDIAN UNION is the world's most populated country, possesses the world's largest economy by GDP and is the seventh largest country in the world by landmass. The AIU is a member of the IBRI group, of the IO-EA, the UN, the DCG among other organisations, although it is not a member of the UN's Security Council. The AIU has an estimated GDP per capita (PPC) of about 7,100 US$, albeit with considerable internal differences, with a wealthier west and south and the poorer north and east of the Union. The Union capital is New Delhi, located in the self-governing Union Territory of Delhi, and rebuilt from the ashes of the Indo-Punjabi War's Siege of Delhi (1981).
The Union is religiously and ethnically diverse, with practically every major world religion practiced, ranging from Christianity to Jainism, alongside the various Hinduist cults, Islam, Ba'hai to the animist faiths of Assam. The Union is also home to 31 official languages written in more than a dozen co-official scripts and from more than three different family trees although the most spoken language in the Union is Hindustani. The administrative language of the All-Indian Union is, however, English as a neutral language without any particular relation to any one Member State of the Union. The Union is formed by 11 Member States, with their own particular forms of government, ranging from unitary states such as Sindh to the decentralised structure of the Deccan Federation but also including two city-states.
The Union is the end product of the long and arduous road of re-integration into the national community after the breakup of the Union of India during the 1970s crises. The AIU was officially founded by the Treaty of Porbandar in 1993 after the various round of economic, fiscal and military integration that followed the UN-brokered Accords of Lashore. The final stages of the AIU creation were set in 1995 when both the new rupee and the All-Indian Military Force were formally established, replacing the previous Member state militaries and currencies.
The AIU's process of integration attracted much attention during its formative years and several states from the Union's neighbourhood applied for an associate status. Although this was denied for those states outside of the traditional Indian subcontinent cultural area, it was the seed of the modern-day Indian Ocean Economic Area, an economic and monetary union with eight members and one applicant in various degrees of integration across the Indian Ocean.

Mind if I convert this to Q-BAM?

AIU%20symbol.png

This can't be peaceful, granted now they only have to worry about is Chinese nukes but still basically all non-Hindu areas have to be a hot bed of violence and with it the corresponding Hindu Nationalist movement in retaliation. I cannot see how civil wars would not be happening, especially with tens of millions more Muslims to the region. Also Kashmir independent?

AIU%20symbol.png

Great map!

This can't be peaceful, granted now they only have to worry about is Chinese nukes but still basically all non-Hindu areas have to be a hot bed of violence and with it the corresponding Hindu Nationalist movement in retaliation. I cannot see how civil wars would not be happening, especially with tens of millions more Muslims to the region. Also Kashmir independent?

Well, since the PoD is in the very early 20th century, the rise of the Muslim League and such is partially avoided. In any case, India did break up (hence the mention of sieges and the Indian Republic within the AIU) and was later reunited as a sort of EU on steroids after a lengthy process. The Union Government does not have competencies over religious matters beyond ensuring that human rights and such are respected.

You can see the legacy of these conflicts in the consociational arrangement of Sri Lanka (see: the north being its down federal unit known as Eelam) after in the late 80s the civil war there degenerated into close to ethnic massacres and the Tamil Nadu intervened hence forcing the rest of the proto-AIU to do so too.

The AIU is far wealthier than our own India so religious problems are less severe than OTL (and without the trauma of Partition...) although caste-based politics are very much a thing, especially as caste and class intermix.

Also, there's also a reason why the group of developing countries is called IBRI and not BRIC ;)

This is part of a world developed by Krall, which includes a far wealthier Afghanistan and indeed an independent Kashmir. I'm not saying that the outcome is the most likely but since this stems from a (very) early 20th century historical turnaround, well we took some artistic licenses.

What a fantastic map! I have so many questions about this world.

1. I may have missed it, but what exactly is the POD? You mentioned it was early 20th century.
2. Do the member states pursue their own foreign policy? It seems like this AIU is in many ways a more integrated EU.
3. India does look strange without any claim to Kashmir, but I guess without a Pakistan to compete with for it and a free trade agreement in place, it makes sense. It does get me wondering though, how does China feel about such a powerful Indian neighbor?
4. How are civil rights in this state? Is democracy practiced relatively freely in its democratic components? What does the structure of its federal government look like?
5. I imagine such a significant shift from the India we know today would have sent some rather ambitious butterflies around the world. What effect has this had on Europe, Africa, etc.?
6. The union is clearly very liberal with trade with its Indian Ocean neighbors. What about in other parts of the world. For example, how present are Indian corporations in the US and vice versa?

I'll stop there for now. I imagine if I allow myself I might just keep going haha. In any case, well done! This must have taken a tremendous amount of time and effort.

What a fantastic map! I have so many questions about this world.

1. I may have missed it, but what exactly is the POD? You mentioned it was early 20th century.

I don't believe we (Krall and I) have one, to be honest :eek: It's much more that for a series of reasons, the Muslims are better accommodated within Indian nationalism (perhaps no Gandhi? or no creation of the Muslim League?)

2. Do the member states pursue their own foreign policy? It seems like this AIU is in many ways a more integrated EU.

It is, it is essentially a federation, but more federal than OTL India, which has a pretty strong central government. So, the AIU manages entirely foreign affairs and military affairs, although the states do play a role in influencing foreign policy-making.

3. India does look strange without any claim to Kashmir, but I guess without a Pakistan to compete with for it and a free trade agreement in place, it makes sense. It does get me wondering though, how does China feel about such a powerful Indian neighbor?

It doesn't like it, obviously. But TTL China is not exactly in good health (no reforms in the 80s and such) and is prone to violent upheavals and such. It is not an isolated country like NK but it's lagging far behind India economically and in foreign policy clout. But of course, the Chinese still brag about how cool they were in the 60s-70s and such vis-à-vis an imploding India

4. How are civil rights in this state? Is democracy practiced relatively freely in its democratic components? What does the structure of its federal government look like?

Well the AIU is indeed a democratic, federal republic and its members are indeed all democracies (albeit of different flavours, for instance, Sri Lanka is consociational, whereas Kerala and Bengal have clear left-wing tendencies and right-wing parties are very much looked down on). In those states still using FPTP, there might be gerrymandering, like in the Indian Republic where Congress' Syndicate is ever-powerful. Civil rights are largely respected, the AIU is particularly mindful of the rights of minorities (Muslims, other religious minorities, Dalits, OBCs) as well as those of women (especially with rape and abortion and such), but it is not particularly different from OTL. That is to say, the AIU is not much more progressive (if at all) than OTL India, however its state is far more capable of enforcing its own laws than OTL India is.

5. I imagine such a significant shift from the India we know today would have sent some rather ambitious butterflies around the world. What effect has this had on Europe, Africa, etc.?

That we haven't quite thought of, tbh :p Besides Afghanistan being a pretty wealthy (Krall might correct me, but its wealth levels are similar to those of Kazakhstan and such, but with minerals instead of oil).

6. The union is clearly very liberal with trade with its Indian Ocean neighbors. What about in other parts of the world. For example, how present are Indian corporations in the US and vice versa?

It is indeed, but only because it enjoys such a hegemonic position within it. But besides that, while India has a certain degree of penetration of foreign markets, it is not usually in an obvious manner, much like how Chinese brands are penetrating OTL but very slowly, at least in the First World, in the developing countries is an entirely different story, of course.

I'll stop there for now. I imagine if I allow myself I might just keep going haha. In any case, well done! This must have taken a tremendous amount of time and effort.

Thanks! :D

Excellent map. Bravo.

China has a smaller population by 160 millions than OTL: smaller country or famines/industrial horrors?

(I see Russia was screwed as badly as OTL. Pity).

[snip]

[snip]

That's an amazing map. Too bad I wouldn't have Indian descent in such a scenario (although without Partition, I would probably not exist even if in this scenario Jammu and Kashmir was part of India).

Status
Not open for further replies.