Not open for further replies.
Next map: The Balkans

Red is Austrian Macedon

Pink is Bulgarian Thrace.

Blue is the Emirate of Albania

Light green are territorial gains by Montenegro

Dark Green Territorial gains by Greece in the Aegean

For comparison: The Balkan after the OTL Balkan Wars

Montenegro got less than IOTL, but still more than TTL Serbia.

Bulgaria gained Adrianople and more coastline than IOTL.

Greece did not gain any new territory on the European continent, but more Aegean islands than IOTL (Imbros) and of course most of Anatolia's Aegean coast (the territory close to Chios is part of it).

yboxman

Banned
#25 On stranger currents

Jianzhou, Darien productions, “The Admiral”(1) filming studios, 1964

“Well? What do you think? Does it look properly ran'she?”

Georgi Ivanovich sighs. The pacific palms in the scenery are nothing like the date groves he vaguely recalls. And as for the giggling extras the studio is employing… Well, aside from Uzbek, Jurchen, Korean, Uyghur and occasional blond Russian looking nothing like Arab Yemeni women, their garishly colored , Pantalooned, veiled but bareheaded and midrfiff bared costumes are nothing like either modern or 19th century Yemeni women would dare or desire to wear.

And he doesn’t like the lead, either. He’s fairly sure he’s a Peetookh as well as a Zhid.

Georgi is the last man to have served under The Admiral at the time of the scene and he feels a duty to make sure he is portrayed properly. But he has other duties as well. His pension is just barely sufficient to defray the costs of his and his wife’s support from his daughter in law’s household. And he would like something to leave to his Great-grandchildren… and perhaps move into a less cramped apartment. And they did get the uniforms right at least. And the lead is a spitting image of the Admiral, even if he is a Huesos.

“Taq, There were no Hareem houris, and more’s the shame. I was given shore leave at Mocha and I never saw any such beauties. But Luchshee vrag horoshego, Nyet?”

The director clearly cares about his words less than he does about his own vision. But his assistant, a gentle faced Eurasian brunette young enough to be his grand-daughter actually seems interested.

“What was it like then YeYe?” She asks leaning forward while fingering her cross.

“Well, the native Churki chernozhopye were not friendly. There was still blood on the streets from the fighting before we came, and the new sultan had smashed or closed up or the liquor stores and whorehouses he could find… which didn’t stop us from looking, of course.”

“Not that the admiral cared for such trifles. He was a driven man, even then, and drove us hard as well…”

MAKAROV.jpg
Rear Admiral Makarov.

Port of Mocha, Lower Yemen, December 3rd 1895

The Russian Midshipman takes a moment to marvel, once again, at the clear tropical waters of the inaptly named red sea. In the Baltic Ice floes were forming and chilling storms lashed any sailor unfortunate enough to hold deck duty. Even in the Aegean, winter had forced sailors to wrap themselves in several layers of insulating wool to ward off the morning chill.
Here, a seaman’s main worry was dehydration and sunburn. An officer, even junior and off-duty, had other things to worry about, the larger picture to keep in mind.

The Mediterranean flotilla relocation to the Far East (2) stressed, once again, that Russia’s power in the Pacific depended first and foremost on its fleet. And as such, it required bases and coaling stations to service ships making their way from the empires European shipyards to the Pacific and back. The Germans had already occupied the Tiran straits and had landed marines in Jeda to help the Sultan retain control of the holy cities of Islam against the Hashemite rebels. French, Italian and British influences were vying for dominance in the newly proclaimed emirate of Assir. Yemen, however… if Russia could interpose itself as an intermediary between the Zaidi rebels and the remaining Ottoman forces, then it too might become a power in the Red sea.

He clenched his fist as he remembered the Inglorious surrender of Russia’s claims on Imbros. Claims which he himself had had some small part in advancing. For a moment he recalls the furious and fearful glares of the Ottoman officials and Turkish refugees he helped convoy across the Aegean to Anatolia. Then the present graps his attention once more.

He gasps in dismay as the harbor of Mocha came into sight. There is a cruiser already there, and the harbor fortress waved two flags. The Zaidi sword on a red field and the Union Jack. The Ottoman flag is notably absent.

“Too late… “

He murmurs.

“Well, you didn’t think the British were truly delaying our passage through the Suez Canal because of “technical problems” did you?”

With a shock the ensign realizes that Admiral Makarov himself is standing behind him.

The Stubby, fork bearded admiral is obviously amused at his discomfort. Just of obviously he is still gauging the qualities of his junior ensign, even after three months of operations in the Aegean.

“Of course not your excellency. But I had thought the British would still try to support the Ottomans. That would have given us a chance to win some influence with Imam Muhamad Bin Yihya.”

The admiral raises his eyebrow approvingly, both at the analysis of the situation and naming the Zaydi ruler correctly. Many, too many, would have referred to him casually as a Churki chernozhopye (3) chieftain.

“Well ensign? And why do you suppose they haven’t?”

The young ensign mulls this for a moment.

“The Nemcy?”

“Just so. The Germans got the jump on the British with their East Africa squadron and their forces in Palestine and are supporting the Ottomans in the Hijaz in return for considerations in Anatolia. So the British are obliged to weaken the Ottoman position in Arabia, Yemen included, In order to make the German intervention more costly, and ultimately fruitless.”

The Midshipman shakes his head.

“With Germany in the North, Britian in the south and both and France and Italy as well squabbling over the middle what does that leave Russia?”

“We’ve left a garrison on the Hanish islands as you will recall”

“Of course, you excellency. But those islands are barren. Are they really suitable for a coaling station? And with the British established in Yemen and the Italians in Eitrea how long will we be able to keep them?”

“Oh that depends on how long it takes the British to find out we are there. Which won’t be long at all of course.”

“Excellency?”

“Well, I imagine a loose lipped Midshipman is likely to brag about our coup on those islands to the first British officer he meets in the local Cantinas.”

The young Midshipman blinks.

“We are being granted shore-leave?”

He had thought the Admiral would keep them onboard, at least until Djibouti and possibly Saigon, precisely in order to avoid early discovery of the Russian garrison.

“Well it would hardly be fair to keep good men from their just reward, would it? I am sure I can count on you to assemble a sufficiently rowdy party and raise a ruckus with your opposite numbers from the British ship?”

“Yes Sir!”

“Splendid. Do stop by my quarters after you get over your hangover to report. It’s important for an admiral to get the feel of the mood at port, even if only at second hand… and important as well for a promising Lieutenant to get a feel for the larger currents which move the fleet.”

“Your excellency? I am a Michman.”

“Not anymore. You did well on Imbros, and in Izmir as well. I made a list of recommendations for early promotion to the chief admiralty- and you headed the list. I received approval of them in Abu Said. Unless you disapprove, Alexander Vasilyevich?”

There was only one proper response to that. The newly promoted Lieutenant Kolchak straightened to attention.

“Sir! No, sir! With the Admiral’s permission I will organize a carousing party, effective immediately sir!”

Port of Mocha, Lower Yemen, December 4th 1895

Kolchak hoped his knock on the Admiral’s door did not reveal his trepidation. To be under the Great Admiral’s eye was a great opportunity for rapid promotion. But it was also a position of considerable danger. Several of his comrades had shown signs of jealousy at his early rise and could be expected to sabotage, or at least prove uncooperative in carrying out his expanded duties unless he learned to manage them. If he did not… well, the Admiral’s favor would certainly be withdrawn and leave him the worse off than where he had been to begin with.

“Enter!”

The best guarantee of continued favor, and protection from jealous officers, was to perform his assigned duties flawlessly- but also to display the initiative and inquiry that Makarov, unlike so many Russian officers, so prized.

“Your excellency!”

“So soon, Lieutenant Kolchak? I can see that the younger generation has somewhat to learn about proper carousing. Why you aren’t even sporting any signs of a proper bar-room brawl!”

“Your excellency, I have the honor to report that Yemeni Coffee is excellent indeed (4)… and is the only beverage being served in all of Mocha.”

Makarov blinked.

“What’s that now?”

“Imam Muhamad Bin Yihya had declared the Ottomans to be infidels for permitting prostitution, tobacco smoking and prostitution… and so he has banned them from the port. From what I can gather it has made the merchants of the port none too happy with him. They have already been losing business to Aden and with this new prohibition can expect to lose more”

Makarov taps his pipe thoughtfully.

“Interesting. Perhaps somewhat can be done with that. And perhaps not. What else can you report?”

“The British are arrogant as always. They seem to regard all of Arabia of their own regardless of treaties, and the Red sea as a British lake. Had to step in to prevent a brawl. Though that wasn’t too difficult hard to have a proper brawl with no liquor.”

“What do the natives think of them?”

“Native regard towards the British seems to be mixed. Some bless their mediated evacuation of the Ottomans as having spared the town bloodshed. Others are uneasy at the treaty signed between them and Imam Muhamad. They worry about Indian merchants setting up shop and competing with them, and that protection may be a prelude to annexation and infidel laws. Even those who grumble about the new prohibitions want Shariah law in principle. Except for the local Zhids. They are clearly hopeful for British protection.”

“Record your impressions and cite your sources. I will attach it, and your name, in my report to Kordstadt.”

“Sir!”

“I trust you have ensured the British were apprised of our occupation of the Hanish islands?”

“I have. But sir, if I may ask, why? They would find out about our occupation eventually. Would it not be better to give the men more time to fortify their positions?”

Makarov studies Kolchak for a moment through the smoke of his pipe.

“I trust you remember Imbros Lieutenant?”

Kolchak’s lips tighten.

“ I do, sir.”

“Terrible humiliation for the Russian flag, wasn’t it? To be lowered a mere fortnight after being raised?”

“As you say your excellency.”

“Not so. Imbros was a chip, nothing more. We traded it, and out position in Izmir to eliminate British objections to the occupation of the entirety of the Six Vilayets and Trebizon. They were raising them, you know. Had some second thought about our borders adjoining their zone of occupation in Messopotamia. And well they should- their navy cannot stop us if we march on Bagdad, expecially once the railway is expanded.”

Kolchak blinks. He had never thought of the triumphs of the navy as being mere bargaining chips for the Russian land forces. The thought is oddly disquieting.

“And the Hanish islands are a bargaining chip as well. It would prove… embarrasing, and politically controversile for the British to shift us off the islands by force. It would risk placing us and the Germans, and by virtue of our alliance, the French as well, in the same configutation opposing them in the Red sea. That is something they wish to avoid, also for good cause.”

“What will we trade for the Hanish islands then?”

“Well, why are we here, Lieutenant? Surely you undersatand that the scramble for Arabia does not require the entire Mediterranean flotilla?”

“To reinforce the Pacific squadron your excellency.”

“Well, and do they require reinforcement?”

Kolchak mentally reviews what he knows of the fleet strength in the North Pacific.

“No sir. We outmass and outgun anything the Japanese have in the water, even without what is left of the Chinese fleet, especially after their losses off Korea. The only thing which could prevent Russian naval supremacy in a conflict with Japan is another Great power intervening on their behalf.”

“Exactly- and that great power is Britain. None of the other powers have enough ships in the Far East to stand up to our own, especially after we shall arrive. So, Britian must be concillated to stay out of the conflict. We can appeal to their common interest- after all, they have no interest in China’s debt growing larger and their income smaller while they remain their chief debtors. Nor do they wish to appear as the enemies of China- such will not open markets to their merchants. We can implicitly threaten their own position in the Middle East, all the easier given their occupation of Messopotamia, and even India, if their intervene against our interests in East Asia. We can pacify them by the moderation of our aims, amounting in so far as I have been given to understand, to a restoration of the statues quo ante in Korea and south Manchuria. And now, thanks to your own endevours we can offer an evacuation of Hanish, or perhaps its sale or cession to Italy as a quid pro-quo.”

Markov chuckles at the befuddled, and somewhat angry expression of the young Lieutinant.

“There is no dishonor in surrendering claims for gains elsewhere Lieutenant. Do you think the Germans are so foolish to hope for full domination of Mecca and Medina? They too, will trade their position there for compensation elsewhere in due time."

Makarov then taps his nose slyly.

“And of course, by the time the furor around the Hanish islands and Hejaz dies down the Catherine will have completed its mission”

Kolchak blinks. The Catherine had been the first Russian ship through the Suez Canal but had not regrouped with the rest of the fleet in the Red sea.

“The Catherine? Scuttlebut is she is in Djibouti. Is she trying to seize a foothold on the African mainland?”

“Well reasoned lieutenant. Hopefully the British intelligence shares your estimates. And they would be wrong- though I’ve been careful to spread those rumors while passing through Suez. Unfortunately seeking to set up an African colony at this point would place us in opposition to too many powers. The Catherine is, or was at the Farasan islands. The coral reefs surrounding it should prevent any random European recointering, the islands contain fresh water springs and date orchards to feed the garrison and the situation in Assir is sufficiently chaotic that our presence will be harder to challenge once discovered. The British will just have to get used that the Red sea is not their lake… or give us a good offer to give up our claims to Farasan- after they had already paid us for Hanish.”

Kolchak slowly shakes his head, befuddled. He wonders if this is the final veil of deception and manipulation Marakov has employed or if yet another layer remains to be uncovered.

“The world is a bit more complicated than the heroic tales of the navy would have it, isn’t it lieutenant? Sit, sit.”

Kolchak lowers himself into the chair in front of the Admiral’s desk ruefully. He has much to learn. But it seems he has found the best possible teacher.

“Perhaps it is your excellency. Was it so for you in 1878 as well (5)?”

A twinkle arises in the Admiral’s eye as he recalls past victories and he turns towards his cabinet.

“So it’s old tales you wish to hear, is it Alexander Vasilyevich? A shot of good Russian Vodka as a conciliation to your disappointment in Mocha beforehand perhaps? ”

After clinking the glasses together and raising them to the portrait of Tsar Georg both down their glasses with a gulp and lean back to enjoy the spreading warmth.

"The Turk back then put up much more of a fight than he did in this war. And we could not count on the assistance of the West, of course, much the opposite. But that is not what you want to hear about, is it? Can't say that I much cared for the great issues of statesmanship back then either. I had my first command of a torpedo boat, and I had some novel ideas of how to employ it. Torpedo boats simply lacked the range to operate against the Ottoman naval bases from our own you see, so I suggested organizing them around a refueling and ammo ship. So it was that we sailed in the dark of night to then Ottoman Batumi.... (6)"

(1) Worth watching this, or at least the first ten minutes to get a feel for the theme and the mood of this allohistorical production https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRckaEkuRAo
(2) Baltic fleet ships are being relocated to the Med to take their slots. Part of a general “Pivot to Asia”.
(3) Outlander black-ass barbarian. But with more derisive connotations. It won’t mean quite the same thing by the 1960s though.
(4) Hey, some backcountry Ethiopian monk may have discovered the coffee bush, but it took Yemenite genius to turn the bitter herb into a proper and potable beverage. Not to mention market it throughout the known world. Consider it our small contribution to world civilization. Well, that and gat (don’t believe the heretics claiming Gat also came from Ethiopia. It’s 100% Yemeni!)
(5) Brownnosing the top brass is a technique which hasn’t much changed over the centuries.
(6) Makarov was nothing short of a naval genius- which just goes to show how fucked up the whole Russian system was OTL in that even he couldn't do better against the Japanese. For all of the grief, some justified, that Russian commanders got as incompetent, not all of them were, not by a long shot. But the material they had to work with! individual brilliance simply can not replace institutionalized rationalism and review

MAKAROV.jpg

Last edited:
Just a small nitipick - "churka chernomazy /chernozhopy" sounds like a proper derogatory racist term, what you're using is waay too mild IMO.

The Germans are playing with fire indeed. Jeddah is the sea gateway to the Muslim holy cities. Non-muslim troops running amok in the general vicinity is unprecendented, and disturbingly close to sacrilege. Yeah, they are doing so with the blessing of the Caliph and to uphold his authority - but that would likely just further undermine whatever legitimacy Abdulhamid has left in the eyes of the people of Central Arabia.
[OTL has equivalents: French special forces were used in Mecca to help the Saudis in 1979. In theory, the official line was that all French personnel involved was Muslim - formaly it was indeed the case, as they were made (ordered, I suppose) to recite the shahada before the mission (and perform required ritual purification too, I'd guess? Not sure on this bit). I don't know if German forces in 1895 would display comparable tactfulness. However, they are not actually entering Mecca itself.]
The Hashimites might be brought into an uneasy alliance with the Wahhabis in this context to counter the Ottomans - but this depends a lot on where the Rashidis fall.
Italy will almost certainly get the Hanish islands in this situation - Russia would be happier to give them to Italy than Britain, which in turn won't have issues with it - might sweeten the deal about Kassala and the Eritrea-Sudan border, though this is still in the future as the offensive against the Mahdi has probably not begun yet.
The Russian moves here are exceptionally competent. ;)

Last edited:
“The Catherine? Scuttlebut is she is in Djibouti. Is she trying to sieze a foothold on the African mainland?”

“Well reasoned lieutenant. Hopefully the British intelligence shares your estimates. And they would be wrong- though I’ve been careful to spread those rumors while passing through Suez. Unfortunately seeking to set up an African colony at this point would place us in opposition to too many powers. The Catherine is, or was at the Farasan islands.

The African side of the Red Sea would have been my first thought as well, but the Admiral is right - the French already had a presence in Djibouti by this time, the Italians were established in Eritrea, and the Somali coast had already been divided between Britain and Italy. Ten years earlier, Russia might have made a play for an African coaling station, but now that would piss off too many people.

I assume they'll ask for something like coaling rights in Aden in exchange for vacating the Farasan islands - the UK won't want a Russian naval station in the middle of the Red Sea, so they might be able to get a decent price. Or maybe they could get a concession on Socotra, which is large enough to share and where the British could keep an eye on them.

yboxman

Banned
You are Yemeni?

Israeli of Yemeni extraction. Well, one quarter Yemeni, and Adenite at that (though only recently. Great grandfather moved to Aden from Saana after WWI) but the Yemeni side is the one I primarily identify with- mostly because that's the only size with a surviving local extended family to speak of.

It is also the part which makes me most grateful for my ancestors having the wisdom and opportunity to get out while the getting was good. There may be more miserable places to be born today than Yemen. But they have some prospect of improvement if the political situation is resolved. Yemen, OTOH has a sinking water table and still exploding population. As well as 3.5 firearms per capita.

Just a small nitipick - "churka chernomazy /chernozhopy" sounds like a proper derogatory racist term, what you're using is waay too mild IMO.

Was looking for something less degratory/racist by contemporary standards and more casually derisive/racialist by 19th century standards.

Sort as the way a pre WWI Englishman would casually refer to an Indian (or Adenite for that matter) as a "darkie" without meaning any personal malice by it- just a casual unthinking assumption of superiority and acceptance of a imperial hiearchy which places him at the top and the "darkie" at the bottom. What expression would fit the bill?

The Germans are playing with fire indeed. Jeddah is the sea gateway to the Muslim holy cities. Non-muslim troops running amok in the general vicinity is unprecendented, and disturbingly close to sacrilege. Yeah, they are doing so with the blessing of the Caliph and to uphold his authority - but that would likely just further undermine whatever legitimacy Abdulhamid has left in the eyes of the people of Central Arabia.

I was thinking that the Germans are providing support less in the way of pomeranian grenadiers and more in the way of supplies, transportation for Ottoman Muslim troops still garrisoned in Palestine (which is a convenient way for the Germans to reduce potential rebellion) and Anatolia (which is a convenient way to AbdulHamid to get red of potential rebels... including perhaps one Djemal), and "specialists"/advisors (of whom some operated in Arabia in WWI).

The initial landing in Jeda was by East African Asakaris who at that point, If I recall correctly (and if I don't Mr Edelstein will no doubt correct me), were generally at least nominally Muslim or could pass as such.

AbdulHamid has no legitimacy to lose in the eyes of the people of Central (as opposed to coastal) Arabia . The Ottomans never ruled there, only supported one tribe against another.

The African side of the Red Sea would have been my first thought as well, but the Admiral is right - the French already had a presence in Djibouti by this time, the Italians were established in Eritrea, and the Somali coast had already been divided between Britain and Italy. Ten years earlier, Russia might have made a play for an African coaling station, but now that would piss off too many people.

Yeah. Damn shame. Would have loved to see greater Russian involvment in Ethiopia ITTL- but it's too late for that and besides, you already set the coolness bar for that too darn high:)

I assume they'll ask for something like coaling rights in Aden in exchange for vacating the Farasan islands - the UK won't want a Russian naval station in the middle of the Red Sea, so they might be able to get a decent price. Or maybe they could get a concession on Socotra, which is large enough to share and where the British could keep an eye on them.

Well, here's the thing. There are a number of conceivable circumstances under which the Russians might require coaling stations on the sea route from the Baltic/Med to the Pacific.

1. At times of peace to reinforce their fleet strength to match that of Japan and other potential rivals. But to do that they do not require their own coaling stations- they can use those of France or any other friendly nation.

2. If they are at war with Japan. Under such circumstances it's technically illegal for a neutral power to resupply a belligerant fleet in it's own ports... but that rule has been broken more often than not, including OTL during the Russo-Japanese war.

So if the Russians really want to send their Baltic/Med fleets on a 18,000 mile journey in the middle of a war to a warzone where they will have no chance to refit before engaging in battle- they can, as OTL, resupply at French ports and using commercial colliers.

If they really want to prepare for such an eventuality without risking violating various legal technicalities (whose relevance to non occidential states is questionable in any event) then the way to go about it is to temporarily lease/build coastal fascilities in French colonies in the Med as well as West Africa/Indochina/Red sea/Indian ocean

3. If they are at war with Britain in alliance with France.

Under those circumstances they would use French fascilities any which way. Not that they would have any business running the gauntlet of the Indian ocean, or conducting operations in it. The correct strategy would be to concentrate naval assets in the Med and seek to block it to British shipping and, if local supermacy can be established, to invade/raid Egypt and the Suez Canal.

4. If they are at war with Britain without France.
Under those circumstances the half life of isolated Russian naval assets and bases in the Red sea or the Indian ocean (or the Med for that matter) is measured in weeks. The correct Russian naval strategy would be to invade Iraq, Iran, and India. If an Indian ocean port can be captured Submarine warfare (though the tech is not there yet) would then be possible.

5. War with the Central powers in alliance with France.
The place the Russian fleet needs to be in such a scenario is either in the Med (to prevent the Austrians from blockadeing the straits), the Baltic (to put up a good show Vs the German navy) or the far East (to deter the Japanese from weighing in). Either way, the French colonies will be avaliable to Russia for recoaling and refitting.

Bottom line: there's not much gain for Russia in gaining coaling rights in Aden, or the Farasan islands for that matter, so long as the Russo-French alliance holds.

This is not to say that some in the Russian court and navy aren't thinking in terms of world embracing naval bases and Welt-Politik but even wilhemine Germany recognized the vast expenses which would be involved and shied clear of over commitment to such madness.

Fortunately for Russia Witte is not one of those individuals- he thinks the navy, beyond what is necessary to deter Japan, is a waste of money. What he will seek from the British is agreement to a railway connection between the projected Tbilisi-Alexandrata railway and Basra/Kuwait and/or a railway running from Baku via Persia to the Gulf. He also wants a delineation of spheres of influence (including exclusive railway concessions) in China. He is thinking in terms of economic, not political or naval imperialism.

Obviously Farasan is not enough to gain such cooperation- but together with concessions in Central Asia (the Pamir border, Pandjeh, recognizing Afghnaistan as a British portectorate, perhaps a modification of the Bukhara-Afghan border, ..) it might be.

Last edited:
Yeah. Damn shame. Would have loved to see greater Russian involvment in Ethiopia ITTL- but it's too late for that and besides, you already set the coolness bar for that too darn high:)

Unless TTL Imperial Russia is less interest in Abyssinia and its policy much different from OTL, Russian involvement will be by default greater than IOTL because the Imperial Russian mission in Ethiopia was reduced after the costly Russo-Japanese War.

Sort as the way a pre WWI Englishman would casually refer to an Indian (or Adenite for that matter) as a "darkie" without meaning any personal malice by it- just a casual unthinking assumption of superiority and acceptance of a imperial hiearchy which places him at the top and the "darkie" at the bottom. What expression would fit the bill?
"Churki chernozhopye" is a closest equivalent of "black-ass barbarian", in fact literally this, "churki chernye" just seems a bit unnatural to me as a native speaker... but that's a matter of taste, I think.
"My pobili etikh chernozhopykh churok" = "We kicked the uncivilized asses of those black-ass barbarians" for example.

Otherwise, good chapter. And prison slang for passive homosexuals does not differ TTL from OTL, it seems:)

I was thinking that the Germans are providing support less in the way of pomeranian grenadiers and more in the way of supplies, transportation for Ottoman Muslim troops still garrisoned in Palestine (which is a convenient way for the Germans to reduce potential rebellion) and Anatolia (which is a convenient way to AbdulHamid to get red of potential rebels... including perhaps one Djemal), and "specialists"/advisors (of whom some operated in Arabia in WWI).

The initial landing in Jeda was by East African Asakaris who at that point, If I recall correctly (and if I don't Mr Edelstein will no doubt correct me), were generally at least nominally Muslim or could pass as such.

AbdulHamid has no legitimacy to lose in the eyes of the people of Central (as opposed to coastal) Arabia . The Ottomans never ruled there, only supported one tribe against another.

This works, and yes, using East African Askaris, even if the officers are Germans, smoothens things considerably, at least from the perspective of the ulama.
I was talking about "Central Arabia" as opposed to South and North Arabia, looking for a term that includes both Ottoman Hejaz and places that never recognized Ottoman rule in the interior - in those places, Abdulhamid's policy IOTL still aimed at a vague recognition of legitimacy as a Caliph (as opposed to Sultan) which was not, generally, very forthcoming. Using Germans to enforce his power may be used as propaganda chip by those opposed to him locally, including militant Wahhabis from Najd, on the lines "the self-styled Caliph sold out to the infidels). However, if there are no Pomeranian Grenadiers involved, this is largely moot, or at least considerably weaker.

Bottom line: there's not much gain for Russia in gaining coaling rights in Aden, or the Farasan islands for that matter, so long as the Russo-French alliance holds.

This is not to say that some in the Russian court and navy aren't thinking in terms of world embracing naval bases and Welt-Politik but even wilhemine Germany recognized the vast expenses which would be involved and shied clear of over commitment to such madness.

Fortunately for Russia Witte is not one of those individuals- he thinks the navy, beyond what is necessary to deter Japan, is a waste of money. What he will seek from the British is agreement to a railway connection between the projected Tbilisi-Alexandrata railway and Basra/Kuwait and/or a railway running from Baku via Persia to the Gulf. He also wants a delineation of spheres of influence (including exclusive railway concessions) in China. He is thinking in terms of economic, not political or naval imperialism.

Obviously Farasan is not enough to gain such cooperation- but together with concessions in Central Asia (the Pamir border, Pandjeh, recognizing Afghnaistan as a British portectorate, perhaps a modification of the Bukhara-Afghan border, ..) it might be.

I think that any territorial concession in Central Asia would raise very vocal opposition within Russia and would be problematic in many ways. Recognition of a British protectorate on Afghanistan, together with a working agreement on mutual spheres in Persia (the OTL's agreement did not work very well, it seems) and China, and an emphatically hands-off policy toward Tibet, might work.
To the British eyes, recent events have likely strengthened the perception of Russia as The Tentacled Bear(tm). Britain would thus want to contain Russia, especially in terms of spheres of influence. Clearly demarcated lines in both Persia and China would likely make London happy -provided that Russia respects them. Problem is, there is going to be little trust about that in Whitehall now.

yboxman

Banned
"Churki chernozhopye" is a closest equivalent of "black-ass barbarian", in fact literally this, "churki chernye" just seems a bit unnatural to me as a native speaker... but that's a matter of taste, I think.
"My pobili etikh chernozhopykh churok" = "We kicked the uncivilized asses of those black-ass barbarians" for example.

Otherwise, good chapter. And prison slang for passive homosexuals does not differ TTL from OTL, it seems:)

I defer to the expert:).

Any Idea what would be the proper, period correct mildly derisive terms for:
a. East Asian in General (Chukchi just doesn't seem likely given the greater familiarity Russia will have with the Far East TTL).
b. Chinese
c. Koreans
d. Japanese

If you can suggest some appropriate deliberately offensive terms as well so much the better.

Last edited:

a. East Asian in General (Chukchi just doesn't seem likely given the greater familiarity Russia will have with the Far East TTL).
b. Chinese
c. Koreans
d. Japanese

If you can suggest some appropriate deliberately offensive terms as well so much the better.
The mildest derisive term for East Asians in general will be "uzkoglazye" (narrow-eyed) or "zheltomordye" (yellow-faced) and I don't think a general European part-born Russian will be making any significant differences between "b-d" categories.
If you want to go harsher "makaki uzkoglazye" (narrow-eyed monkeys) will be a thing IMO.
I think folks like Sahaidak can add more ideas to this common swear-pot.

Things in the horn of Africa are getting...well let's say interesting, basically a 'little game' with more players than the Great Game.
If/when Fashoda (or an incident similar) will happen, oh boy the situation will be much more complicated with Germany meddling in Arabia, Russia trying to get some bargain chips and even Italy (without Aduwa) remaining more 'aggressive', and i not even consider the reconquest of Sudan.

Peetookh as well as a Zhid.

That is a word that has more connotations than you might think - it would indicate that the prison caste system that developed under Stalinism developed here as well, which I find unlikely.

The one word I did see used pre-revolution is a rather less distinctive "Kat'ka" = Catherine.

Of course polite bigots used "bougr/bougry (pl)" but slang, of course, evolves. It was also something homosexuals themselves used now and then before other terms emerged.

As for the rest of it, yep, pretty interesting gunboat diplomacy happening everywhere - not that Russia was completely averse to it OTL even before the Entente was formed.

Last edited:
Dang. For a moment thought you were saying the Russians would try to get those, and perhaps to get all the Uzbek lands into Bukhara.

yboxman

Banned
That is a word that has more connotations than you might think - it would indicate that the prison caste system that developed under Stalinism developed here as well, which I find unlikely..

That was, in fact, deliberate.

Wondered who would pick up on it. Though Georgi was never an inmate- I assumed the Gulag slang spread to non Zeks, including older people, within a generation or so. Is this accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katorga.
The economic rationale is still there, and a Tsarist regime, even somewhat reformed would still have "enemies of the people", criminal, nationalist and ideological/revolutionary... and they will of course, have a similliar hiearchy. But the system will not be, quite, a white Katorga clone of the Red Gulag. Different scale, inmate population, motives, ideological justification, mechanisms and earlier demise.

Of course polite bigots used "bougr/bougry (pl)" but slang, of course, evolves. It was also something homosexuals themselves used now and then before other terms emerged.

I had never heard this term. To be sure, most of my Mat and derisive ethnic/sexual orientation descriptives comes courtesy of a Drunk Turkman army mate. SHould you and Valena be willing I will be most interested in getting your suggestions on how to shade of my terminology so it is period and social class accurate.

Last edited:

b. Chinese
c. Koreans
d. Japanese

"Slant-eyes" or "Hairless" in Russian seems apt for East Asians in general. I'll also add "fish-eyes" to the list.

Perhaps I've missed it and my apologies if I have. But, where are these Hamish Islands? Google only gives me a Hamish Island off Scotland.

yboxman

Banned
Perhaps I've missed it and my apologies if I have. But, where are these Hamish Islands? Google only gives me a Hamish Island off Scotland.

Hanish Islands. Damn- corrected. They are between Yemen and Eritrea, southern Red sea, just north of Bab-el-mandab

Status
Not open for further replies.