Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Quebec would establish a presidential system on independence either. Was there ever any appetite for this? And considering what I've read and the opinions I've seen on this forum when the issue has come up, negotiations being successfully concluded within a year and First Nation areas being allowed to peacefully leave seems... pretty optimistic.

Last edited:
uOALJki.png

The Veterinarian Totalitarian, "sanitised" to erase spoilers, with thanks to Windows7Guy100 for inspiration to do this.

Dorozhand

Banned
I doubt Quebec would establish a presidential system on independence either. Was there ever any appetite for this? And considering what I've read and the opinions I've seen on this forum when the issue has come up, negotiations being successfully concluded within a year and First Nation areas being allowed to peacefully leave seems... pretty optimistic.

Why wouldn't they? Bouchard was very popular at the time and a strong ideological leader at the helm of an independent Quebec seems like something that would have been desired. It would also represent a departure from the Anglo-Saxon parliamentarian system.

Bouchard has repeatedly stated when asked that, as leader of an independent Quebec, he would have allowed first nations peoples who desired it to leave.

Why would they? Countries don't just turn their long-established political systems on their heads on a whim. That doesn't happen in the real world. You realise that the alternative to the 'Anglo-Saxon parliamentary system' (Which is Anglo-Saxon in as much as most mature democracies use it, I.E, not very) you're having them adopt is an Anglo-Saxon Presidential system, right? Its modern origin is American, not French; the French system only extends as far back as De Gaulle. In a North American context, this should be pretty stark. Turning to a 'strong ideological leader' is usually a sign of instability or democratic immaturity, which, unless things really go bad and apparently they don't in this case, would not apply to Quebec.

Last edited:

Dorozhand

Banned
Why would they? Countries don't just turn their long-established political systems on their heads on a whim. That doesn't happen in the real world. You realise that the alternative to the 'Anglo-Saxon parliamentary system' (Which is Anglo-Saxon in as much as most mature democracies use it, I.E, not very) you're having them adopt is an Anglo-Saxon Presidential system, right? Its modern origin is American, not French; the French system only extends as far back as De Gaulle. In a North American context, this should be pretty stark. Turning to a 'strong ideological leader' is usually a sign of instability or democratic immaturity, which, unless things really go bad and apparently they don't in this case, would not apply to Quebec.

President sounds cooler than Prime Minister or somesuch. They aren't wishy washy, they add a nice "face" to the nation and when recounted make nice neat lists. All in all it's much more right and proper.

President sounds cooler than Prime Minister or somesuch. They aren't wishy washy, they add a nice "face" to the nation and when recounted make nice neat lists. All in all it's much more right and proper.

In many non-Anglosphere countries, the head of goverment (generally called the Prime Minister in English) is known as the President of the Council of Ministers or the President of the Government. This was the case in France until de Gaulle and remains the case in places like Italy and Spain. This is also a pretty silly rationalization. At most, I could see them maybe adapting a French-style semi-presidential system but I don't see them ditching the old parliamentary system just because an American-style Presidential system is cool.

The modern Work Project Administration and its current long-time Administrator, Phil Bloom. The WPA provides jobs to millions of unemployed Americans across the solar system, building roads, bridges, tunnels, channels, railroads, parks, schools, housing, airports and so much more. Bloom is the second son of former U.S. Senator Leo Bloom, Sr., and current Senator Leo Bloom, Jr. An engineer by trade, Bloom followed his family into politics and his experience with engineering projects and leadership qualifications lead Douglas Grayson to name Bloom the head of the WPA in 2116. A Democrat, he remained in office under the Republican administration of Janet Gibbs. She attempted to remove him twice, but he survived both times due to his family connections and his own influence--he had broad powers to authorize WPA funds and personnel for projects, so he was able to use his discretionary powers to forge alliances and friendships. Gibbs did manage to cut WPA funding, but it's been gradually restored under the Thurman administration, and there are current plans to expand it to 50 million jobs within 10 years (you don't reach 0% unemplyoment by sitting on your thumbs).

j34Kz9n.png

Dorozhand

Banned
In many non-Anglosphere countries, the head of goverment (generally called the Prime Minister in English) is known as the President of the Council of Ministers or the President of the Government. This was the case in France until de Gaulle and remains the case in places like Italy and Spain. This is also a pretty silly rationalization. At most, I could see them maybe adapting a French-style semi-presidential system but I don't see them ditching the old parliamentary system just because an American-style Presidential system is cool.

Oh I know it's a silly justification. I just like the aesthetic of "1st President of Quebec". Although the box doesn't specify exactly what kind of president he is, so it could be whatever you imagine it to be.

The current chief executive of the State of New Wales, Ms. Martinez is really only primus inter pares, with no especial powers or privileges over the rest of the members of the State Council, aside from the right to speak first at all meetings, and to act on behalf of the Council in times of emergency. She's the youngest person to ever hold the office, and is among the least popular (related to a recent string of personal scandals damaging her approval ratings in the oft-conservative populace of the state), with most commentators expecting her annual term ending in November to be her last, if a recall election doesn't unseat her before that.

mgrisGg.png

List of Gave Me Liberty infoboxes:
President Ernest R. Paul
Cynthia Wells, President of the Red Cross
Librian Free Women's Militia
Libria State Assembly
Operation
Fever Dream
Continental Army Strategic Artillery Corps
Zebulon Pike
Wasatch Insurgency
New York Special Public Authority for Cosmic Exploration and Science (NY SPACES)
New York Ballot Question No. 244
John Jason Astor VI
Empire Party of New York
Workingman's Party of New York
2011 Jacksonville tax demonstrations
Georgia Occupation Authority
Concerned Citizens Against Standardized Testing
U.S. Federal Penitentiary No. 1
Ricky Newsome, Batlimore Titans No. 62
California v. Approximately 20,000 Pounds of Whale Meat
Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
Republic of South Carolina
President Melville Fuller
President W. Jennings Bryan
Sam Oshima
Libria State Assembly Election, 2015 (Part 1)
Libria State Assembly Election, 2015 (Part 2)

Technically speaking, there's a difference between Anglo-Saxon parliamentary system and the continental ones, but this is still sound reasoning.

The modern Work Project Administration and its current long-time Administrator, Phil Bloom. The WPA provides jobs to millions of unemployed Americans across the solar system, building roads, bridges, tunnels, channels, railroads, parks, schools, housing, airports and so much more. Bloom is the second son of former U.S. Senator Leo Bloom, Sr., and current Senator Leo Bloom, Jr. An engineer by trade, Bloom followed his family into politics and his experience with engineering projects and leadership qualifications lead Douglas Grayson to name Bloom the head of the WPA in 2116. A Democrat, he remained in office under the Republican administration of Janet Gibbs. She attempted to remove him twice, but he survived both times due to his family connections and his own influence--he had broad powers to authorize WPA funds and personnel for projects, so he was able to use his discretionary powers to forge alliances and friendships. Gibbs did manage to cut WPA funding, but it's been gradually restored under the Thurman administration, and there are current plans to expand it to 50 million jobs within 10 years (you don't reach 0% unemplyoment by sitting on your thumbs).

I'm guessing that the Hermetical Order of Archimedes is a sect of Columbianism which is all about that science and technology and HUMAN INGENUITY AND MASTERY OVER NATURE?

The current chief executive of the State of New Wales, Ms. Martinez is really only primus inter pares, with no especial powers or privileges over the rest of the members of the State Council, aside from the right to speak first at all meetings, and to act on behalf of the Council in times of emergency. She's the youngest person to ever hold the office, and is among the least popular (related to a recent string of personal scandals damaging her approval ratings in the oft-conservative populace of the state), with most commentators expecting her annual term ending in November to be her last, if a recall election doesn't unseat her before that.

So is the State Council like the Swiss Federal Council or a legislative body?

I'm guessing that the Hermetical Order of Archimedes is a sect of Columbianism which is all about that science and technology and HUMAN INGENUITY AND MASTERY OVER NATURE?

Archimedeans are mostly scientists and mathematician and engineers, and they have a particular focus on the archangel Athena and Her Prophet, Archimedes. They have a particular form of animism in which Athena is in all things and they also believe that the meaning of the universe is hidden somewhere in mathematical equations.
Secretary of State for Spirit?

*Cue heavenly song*

Either that or this world's gone hippie.

They have a thing for naming states after probes. Viking, Spirit, Opportunity, Sojourner, Phoenix, etc.

Was Reagan president ITTL? If so I'm surprised at least four states aren't named after him. After all, if that wasn't a thing then the Liberals would win.

Reagan was a New Deal Democratic President until he was assassinated in 1986 and succeeded by his Vice President, Ted Kennedy. There is a state named after him.

It's on Mercury.

It's a union and Democratic stronghold.

A state on Mercury? How is that even habitable? How does no-one get completely roasted or frozen all year long?

Status
Not open for further replies.