“We destroyed all this” – alternative histories of Imperialism

Hullo. I'm new to this group (from York, England; working mainly on Victorian/Scientific York and Yorkshire, including a day-by-day chronology using contemporary writings and images.)

I am planning a book or project which will take an 'alternative history' approach to the British Empires and other empires. An outline is below. Is anybody interested in coming in with me on this? i'd welcome your comments both here and by email to jb43@york.ac.uk
I look forward to hearing from you!

“We destroyed all this” – alternative histories of Imperialism and the British Empire

Myths and anti-myths

What is history? What is “alternative history”?

What is imperialism?
Destroyed cultures and languages

Case studies e.g. Benin

• Benin before Imperialism
  • Early encounters
  • Crucial events
  • What was destroyed? What was created?
  • Today and possible tomorrows
  • Local histories; British histories

Ireland

India/Pakistan/Bangladesh

Burma

Russia

China

Afghanistan

Libya

Iraq

Iran

Ottoman Empire

Interaction with other Imperialisms: Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, Ottoman, French, Habsburg, German/Prussian

Ghana

Palestine

Gibraltar

Guyana

North America

West Indies

Australia

New Zealand

Fiji

Is this "alternative history" as in "an alternative view/interpretation of actual history"? If so, this isn't the focus of the site at all.

It's "alternate history" as in "something happened in a way that it didn't in actual history", as in something like "the British Empire never expanded to those stated regions at all, and what the effect of that would be."

Grey Wolf

Donor
Hullo. I'm new to this group (from York, England; working mainly on Victorian/Scientific York and Yorkshire, including a day-by-day chronology using contemporary writings and images.)

I am planning a book or project which will take an 'alternative history' approach to the British Empires and other empires. An outline is below. Is anybody interested in coming in with me on this? i'd welcome your comments both here and by email to jb43@york.ac.uk
I look forward to hearing from you!

“We destroyed all this” – alternative histories of Imperialism and the British Empire

Myths and anti-myths

What is history? What is “alternative history”?

What is imperialism?
Destroyed cultures and languages

Case studies e.g. Benin

• Benin before Imperialism
  • Early encounters
  • Crucial events
  • What was destroyed? What was created?
  • Today and possible tomorrows
  • Local histories; British histories

Interesting - the history and historiography are the alternate history here! The approach to how history is written, and how it is viewed. That could be quite intriguing.