“It is better to cure a sick man than to kill him.” A Northumbrian Survival Timeline

Welcome back and congratulations on your early retirement (if it's anything like mine, you'll find yourself busier than ever...). If you do decide to resume writing this, I'll certainly read it.
Oh, I'm not really retired. It was just a mechanism to get back to the UK after 35 years in the US. I opened a historic tours company. We'll see if it works.

Autumn 1550 to Winter 1551 continued
Apologies for the delay in the resumption of writing. I was busy with a reorganisation of tours in my company. Here is a short piece continuing the last section I wrote:

Northern Europe: The election of Pope Clement VII brought widespread relief among royal courts. The rulers and nobles who had become appalled by the violence of the Curia under his predecessor, Urban VII, felt that he was an honest broker and not a self-seeking fanatic. Henri IV ordered public celebrations in Paris at the election of a French Pope. He sent Etienne Bude to Rome with secret messages though ostensibly the scholar was in search of manuscripts. Pope Clement was delighted with the rich gifts sent and entertained Bude privately. The two men were quickly engaged in learned discussions, discovering an obscure but shared love of Classical Antiquity. Clement requested a Greek primer for himself. The Pope wanted the restoration of peace in northern Europe but bided his time. Both Henri IV and Clement VII came to see the other as a very congenial ally. There was caution in the British Isles and Lutheran Europe. Gundobad of Man finally became isolated and lost his subsidies. The only fighting occurred in Frisia where patrols clashed in skirmishes and Utrecht’s forces repelled a determined assault on their positions. Grand Duke Pieter III remained delicately balanced between the French and Germans.

Last edited:
Ebb and flow
Spring to Summer 1551:

Hungary: Cardinal Mihaly announced the great spiritual reawakening in Buda from the pulpit of The Church of Our Lady. He descended from his lofty perch and stripped off his rich, ecclesiastical vestments. A line of beggars awaited him. His aide Fr Lajos handed him a cloth and held the bowl of warm water as he washed their feet and then gave each a small pouch of money. In the weeks that followed he freed the diocesan serfs and stripped the churches of their wealth. A great crusade to succour to the poor and meek began. Earnest young priests entered the slums and laboured to aid the weakest and most vulnerable. Cardinal Mihaly himself distributed bread daily. The response was immediate and strong from the poor, but very uneasy from the elites. Many nobles saw his actions as an attack on their ancestral privileges and the traditional social order. Miklos I though quietly approved and supported the reformist crusade and quietly sought to bring Polish seminarians to join its activities.

Poland: The Lutherans remained on the defensive awaiting events and continuing to fortify their villages and train their militias. Only a few Lithuanian raids disturbed the uneasy and hushed calm that overlay Polonia. They were readily repulsed with few casualties on both sides. Several more Lutheran gentry liberated their serfs. Catholic grandees continued to plot but kept a watchful eye on Miklos I. The king took up residence in Krakow to strengthen his hold there and to intervene, if necessary. His entourage was large and strong.

Frisia: The wild-eyed madman struck at Pieter III during a public procession, wounding him seriously but not fatally. His frantic cries of “For the Virgin” alternated with cackling. It took six guards to subdue him and a mighty blow to the head to stop his struggles. He died soon after but not before his insanity was detected. But the public rumour of another priestly assassin could not be overcome. Unscrupulous Lutheran merchants spread and fanned these false reports to gain a foothold for their faith. There was a wave of public outrage and many conversions. Graf von Paderborn unleashed a rapid offensive feinting first at Arnhem with a small force but then force-marching on Utrecht. There he rapidly cut through the episcopal militias with his professional troops and stormed the city. His troops ran amok and slaughtered many Jesuits and the bishop. Three days elapsed before the Imperial commander restored order. The Count of Limousin followed the German screening force back to Apeldoorn and invested the camp. The fierce first assault was repelled with difficulty. Paderborn quickly counter-marched and relieved the siege driving the French back with heavy casualties. The fighting retreat continued under strong pressure. Limousin could not hold Arnhem though he left a garrison behind. It was only at Nijmegen that he was able to hold an entrench. Dordrecht and Rotterdam remained in French hands too though Frisian troops advanced successfully to Leiden and Gouda. After his recovery, Pieter III began to consider an Imperial alliance though he continued the delicate diplomatic dance with France. Finally, one letter from him did reach Henri IV through a sympathetic Latin scholar.

Germany: Thus far, Friedrich V had succeeded in not widening the war beyond Frisia. He continued to prepare support and forces cautiously leaving substantial forces in the East and within reach of Bohemia. Rupprecht of Bavaria extended his contacts with the Catholic reformers, especially Cardinal Mihaly but also exhibited caution and avoided anything that could be construed as treasonous. While his heart yearned for a triumphant Catholic resurgence, he knew from hard-won experience how unlikely that was. For him maintaining and preserving the faith was the main focus of his attentions though he quietly strengthened his forces and especially the defences. With the utmost secrecy a great Alpine redoubt was prepared. The Lutheran church remained divided between reformers and conservatives. While the latter predominated somewhat in the hierarchy, there was considerable support for the reformers among the laity.

The Baltic: The Imperial victories in Frisia and the demise of the Anglian wolf gave heart to Scandinavian Lutherans and dismayed the Catholics. Numbers grew in the cities especially and Duke Fenno II intensified his persecution of Lutheran interlopers. King Haakon VII began to show the Imperial ambassador greater favour in public.

Italy:

The North: Annecy finally fell to Philippe after a long siege. He consolidated his position rather than striking further. His delighted father sent him a gold-hilted sword and had his troops acclaim him conqueror. His elder brother defeated several strong imperial probes into French-held territory. It was some consolation to his mortified pride.

Central: Venice quietly rebuilt her forces after the defeat the previous year and bided her time. Aufidio Postumo of Bologna ravaged their borders but lost many valuable cavalry to counter-attacks. There were no major actions. Cesare of Urbino destabilized Marche with strong raiding parties which seized harvests and destroyed several minor fortifications. Ercole Bentivoglio marshalled his forces but did not strike yet.

Campania: Prince Guiseppe made formal peace with his neighbours chastened by his recent public penance. He turned his attention to the reconstruction of his lands and the slow recovery of infrastructure and economy. At first there was little he could do beyond the maintenance of the peace. But he secured the mountain fastnesses by installing loyal retainers as the new lords.

France: Henri IV quietly built up a network of agents in the scholarly community. No one suspected that the studious king was using the growing numbers of Classical scholars that he patronised to make contacts in sympathetic courts. Bude was appointed his literary advisor but soon showed a flair for intrigue. Meanwhile disquiet grew at the Frisian defeats and the drain on the treasury. The Paris merchants grumbled bitterly, but the court still supported the powerful Prince Philippe.

Spain: In an unexpected and powerful southern thrust, Prince Enrique swept all before him and inflicted two great defeats on the Berbers before capturing and sacking Rabat through a swift assault. The Berber commander fled to the mountains with his entourage and a small force of cavalry. The commander of Oran though struck rapidly west and threatened Tangiers. Enrique took ship with several tercios of infantry and slipped into the city.

The British Isles: Combined Scotian, Northumbrian and Ulster naval squadrons defeated the raiders from Man decisively. The entire force was destroyed or captured. Once again, Bishop Gundobad unwillingly exchanged slaves for captured raiders. He fulminated from his pulpit at the heretical animals with whom God was testing their faith and obedience and urged them on to greater hate and violence. “We must destroy these Philistines wholly and show no mercy” he cried. Meanwhile he laid down new keels and sent out more agents against the kingdoms. “Let the godless scum burn by whatever means,” he said. “They are Satan’s spawn.” The Ulstermen sought a common expedition to land in Man but could gain no support from Scotia and Northumbria. They sought to integrate their new lands in Strathclyde and repair the ravages of recent raids. The traumatised released slaves spoke only in whispers of the tortures they had endured. East Anglia absorbed yet more refugees from Frisia. Bishop Erasmus gave them succour and aid. Their expertise was soon of great use in strengthening coastal flood defences. The Bishop started a fund for the reclamation of lost lands in Dunwich itself.

Last edited:
Great to see this back and still as strong a story as ever. The updates really do read like real events from that time in history: mostly based (theoretically at least) on religious differences, all interconnected and with a lot of cross-over in the actions of both religious and secular leaders (e.g. bishops involved with armies).

Great to see this back and still as strong a story as ever. The updates really do read like real events from that time in history: mostly based (theoretically at least) on religious differences, all interconnected and with a lot of cross-over in the actions of both religious and secular leaders (e.g. bishops involved with armies).
Thanks. That's very kind. I nearly did a doctoral field in early modern history back in the mid 90s and much of it stayed with me. The Reformation was a revelation. I'm trying to emphasise the good as well as the bad of religion.

A Swale Advent
Christmas Eve: Edward VI's court ate frugally, mainly eating salads and plainly prepared vegetables only in the evening and rather few even of those. The last day of the penitential season of Advent was a day for reflection and introspective prayer rather than rejoicing or festivity. The king, however, eschewed any sustenance and spent much of his time at his prie-dieu, seeking forgiveness for his sins both of omission and commission. He besought God to overlook his unworthiness and bestow unmerited grace upon him, his family, court and kingdom. He prayed for the welfare of the freed slaves whose obvious suffering made them Christ-bearers but for whom he felt great compassion. He prayed for forgiveness for his lack of compassion towards the Jews from which the holy bishop Erasmus had rescued him. Christ had been born a refugee and a Jew. But most of all he prayed for peace and harmony that all might live without the bitter scourge of war and grow in faith towards the good Lord. He prayed that confessional strife might end, that the warlords and butchers might learn to lie down with the lamb rather than to slaughter them. Edward VI rose stiffly from his prie-dieu at Midnight, hollow with hunger from his fast but with a sense of peace and hope that the commemoration of Our Lord’s birth could transform the world once again.

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
Feliz Navidad, Meri Kirihimate, Bonne Noel, Manuia le Kirisimasi, Fröhe Weihnachten, Mele Kalikimaka, Buon Natale, et Felicem Natalem Christi.

Christmastide across Christendom
Christmas Day: Clement VII raised the golden chalice and sang the liturgy of the Mass in a pure and devout voice: “Dominus Vobiscum.” The large Roman congregation intoned in response “et cum spiritu tuo.” The wine was consecrated in the dark and Advent passed into joyous Christmastide. All across Christendom the ritual was repeated in varying degrees of simplicity or magnificence. Christ the Saviour was born. The day dawned and feasts were prepared high and low. Many a boar’s head graced a lord’s table. Goodwill largely presided at these feasts though as in all endeavours of mortal man spite, wounded vanity and pride marred some gatherings. It was a day of peace almost everywhere. Neighbours visited, toasted one another and gave as much hospitality as they could.

The Feast of Stephen: In different quarters of Europe, Bishop Erasmus, Bishop Robert, Cardinal Mihaly and Duke Rupprecht all set forth on their charitable errands, as befitted the day of the feast first Christian Martyr. Bread and meat, beer and wine were given to the destitute. Widows and orphans received gifts in their almshouses. There was much goodwill stored up for the year ahead. Many hearts were lightened. In Frisia the opposing camps vied in their carols and a few venturesome souls took advantage of an unofficial truce to swap small gifts. But in Man the mood was darker. Bishop Gundobad burned six captured priests from amongst the slaves as heretics and apostates. He gave a thunderous sermon on the cleansing of souls to purify them. His followers were enraptured in their response. Edward VI brought his charitable aid to the traumatised orphans among the slaves who had been released. Many remained silent and hollow-eyed even as he bestowed his gifts and lay a kindly hand on head or shoulder.

I had to lay this aside somewhat over the holidays and completely last week, the latter because of prep for a guiding day on Hadrian's Wall. More soon.

My apologies for the extended silence and hiatus. I've been spending a lot of time trying to grow my historic tours company. One's first months in business are quite challenging. I've written a partial update which I'll post immediately.

Intrigue and alms
Autumn 1551 to Winter 1552:

The Dual Kingdom: Miklos I arrested ten Catholic Polish and Lithuanian grandees before their conspiracy could strike against him. He struck quickly to garrison their ancestral castles. The trial that followed laid bare plots to break the peace and to assassinate the king. All but one of the nobles were sentenced to death. Count Zamosc was kept in prison after demonstrating public penance, but the other grandees went to their beheadings unrepentant. All condemned the king and his weakness in the face of heresy. The king in turn disinherited their heirs and named new men to their titles. The crowd in Krakow was evenly mixed in its response, some jeering at traitors and others jostling the guards and shouting praise for the godly men. For now though the king had greatly strengthened his hold on the more recalcitrant of his two realms.

Cardinal Mihaly divested the church of more of its wealth to give alms to the poor in the harsh winter. Traditionalists began to grumble as their churches and abbeys were squeezed. The nobles too, with few exceptions, refused to follow the prelate’s example. Many attacked this wanton stripping of privileges to feed the fickle and dangerous mob. The reformers continued to preach ardently for compassion and charity. Many Franciscan Friars joined the crusade and put their order at the heart of its work.

Frisia: The military situation remained static during the colder months. Both armies sought to strengthen their defences and replace losses. Arnhem in particular laid in large stocks of supplies to prepare for the inevitable siege. Lutherans continued to gain ground in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerp, but peasants in the south were inflamed by the etchings depicting the martyrdom of the bishop of Utrecht and the sack of the city by godless heretics. The war was waged with increasing heat and vitriol through propaganda. Inflammatory tracts and tendentious depictions whipped up public feelings on both sides. Each dehumanised the other with relish. Pieter III observed this with frustration and sorrow but was powerless to staunch the rise of hate. He wrote both to Henri IV and Friedrich V seeking to keep his grand duchy intact and independent.

Germany: Friedrich V observed with satisfaction the weakening of the ultras across the continent and the fall of the grandees in the dual kingdom. He created two new orders of chivalry for the Empire, the explicitly Lutheran Order of St Paul and The Order of Karl to commemorate his late father. He continued to woo the Scandinavian and Baltic rulers, investing Kristoph V of Denmark and Haakon VII of Norway as grand knights in the Order of St Paul. Rupprecht of Bavaria brought many Friars into prominence in his duchy before announcing his support for Cardinal Mihaly’s spiritual reawakening. Work continued on the Alpine redoubt and supplies sent thither.

My apologies for the extended silence and hiatus. I've been spending a lot of time trying to grow my historic tours company. One's first months in business are quite challenging.
Don't apologise; RL has to come first. I hope your company's now on a firm footing, the current economic climate notwithstanding.
Autumn 1551 to Winter 1552:
Very much a 'calm before the storm' feeling from this update.

Don't apologise; RL has to come first. I hope your company's now on a firm footing, the current economic climate notwithstanding.

Very much a 'calm before the storm' feeling from this update.
It's reliant thus far on guiding for friends, but I hope to attract a wider customer base in time.

That's good. It was the intent. I also want to underline the darkness of war and strife. Too many people seem to have forgotten about that.

A watchful season
The Baltic: Kristoph V took to wearing the Order of St Paul openly at court. His amour propre increased and several courtiers took to attending Lutheran services in Copenhagen. Before long Kristoph became more openly pious. He simply ignored Catholic unease and behaved with decorous courtesy. One elderly bishop attempted to puncture this carapace of aloofness with urgent representations for the welfare of his soul but was quickly separated from the king by a file of courtiers loudly discussing the developments in the Empire’s war. The king quietly walked away and left the earnest old Catholic deflated and defeated. In Norway the remote island province of Iceland revoked its allegiance under the influence of Bishop Henry. Fenno II executed six merchants for heresy in Abo. One elderly prisoner was greeted with sympathetic cries by the onlookers as he made his slow but calm way on arthritic feet to the block. His serene silence shook even the guards.

The British Isles: After Gundobad’s naval defeat the cold season was quiet and the local rulers drew a collective breath of relief and rebuilt their shattered ruins. Ulster launched a raid to rescue prisoners. Its unqualified success encouraged others to plan for the Summer. Over eighty shattered Irishmen returned home, many still bearing the signs of torture. The buildings in which they had been held were burned to the ground. Meanwhile the Fr Olaf of the Friars of St Ethelred finally finished his magnum opus De bonis factis et gratia, countering the Protestant argument of salvation by faith alone. Preachers of the reformed Catholic orders of friars grew active once again in their educative preaching. Fr Olaf himself was named priest of All Saints Pavement in York from which he addressed the German and Frisian merchants in the market outside.

France: Henri IV gave his assent to several Franciscan Friars seeking to bring the spiritual awakening to Paris. They found a ready audience in the poor and amongst the more pious merchants. Philippe’s men at court scoffed but merely ignored the friars’ activities. Clement VII initiated proceedings to canonise Bernardo da Quintavalle. The Pope and the French king were in closer contact than ever. French armies in Italy undertook Autumn raids to keep their Imperial foes on their toes, but the Winter was quiet.

Italy: Italy too lay in watchful quiet for the first time in a long while. Men counted their blessings and prayed, without much conviction, that peace would continue. Even the intrigues and plans of great men seemed muted.

Spain: The Moors pressed the siege of Tangiers with great vigour but the defenders held out. Forces from both sides coalesced in the hinterland by the end of the winter. Prince Enrique received reinforcements from his father which allowed him to break the naval blockade. Spanish and Barbary galleys fought a bitterly contested battle, but the change of winds allowed the larger galleons to close and drive off the Moors. Grain and fruit entered the beleaguered city from Valencia and Aragon. Still the Moors sent forth saps and mines. Not all were intercepted.