Ανοδος της Τραπεζούντας ( rise of Trebizond) v2.0

Sorry keep forgetting to come to this thread.

Question:

So how are the Trebizond armies composed off?

And are they in contact with the cossacks

Sorry keep forgetting to come to this thread.

Question:

So how are the Trebizond armies composed off?

And are they in contact with the cossacks

No they are not in contact with Cossacks.... Heck they are still focused in Anatolia and the Balkans for now...

Bsaically the Trebizond army is quite unique.... Anna incorporate rthe best tactics of her time so the army composed of heavy knights( based on French knights), Pikemen( Such as Flemish pikemen)Legionary swordsmen( Roman Legionary revived), horse archers based of the Mongol doctine( you know the makeup of Genghis Khan's horse archers) Light calvary, Shock troops, so it was a very well balanced army..... Plus they also borrowed tactics from the Osmangulli who had a very powerful army.......

So the heavy knights are basically beefed up Latinkon? It seems that Anna is a smart lass in incorporating the military styles of both East and West. It's very interesting/

So the heavy knights are basically beefed up Latinkon? It seems that Anna is a smart lass in incorporating the military styles of both East and West. It's very interesting/

It is what helped her to crush the Osmangulli vassalozing them and crushing the smaller beyliks around Trebizond.......

After the capture of Konstantinople Alexius gained a new title, he was now known as Alexius VI Kommenos Emperor of the Romans. After the city fell the patriarch was executed quietly and a puppet loyal to Alexius was placed on the throne. Alexius became a hero back in Trebizond and after the victory, the Osamngulli soon carved up their half of COnstantinople, by this time relations beetween Murad and Alexius were at an all time high and Trebizond seemed as the power of the east...... More good news came when his wife bore him a child who was named David..... With this child Alexus throne was secure. However other events were occuring, a dark shadow had falleover Persia, Tamerlae was busy consolodating his forces but he was not satisfied, by his time the major powers of the Middle east were the Mamelukes of EGypt, The timurids, and Trebizond. However relations beetween Timur and ALexius grew sour, Timur had won many victories and no he wanted more.... His target was the city of trebizond now a wealthy prospourous city. ON July 16th 1411 Tamelane led a massive army of a hundred thousand arcehrs to lay siege to Eritrea. The sultan of Eritrea was in favour with Alexius and he fled to Trebizond where he pleaded for help from Alexius. Trebizond sent an ultimatum to the timurids, either they break off the invasion of Eritrea or Trebizond will declare war, when Tamer ignored the letter Trebizond declared war, the Osmangulli soon followed.......... Soon afterword Tamerlanes forces marched for Trebizond.
MusIndDetail2.JPG
Timurid soldiers
TimuridHorse.jpg
Invasion force preparing for battle.
history3.jpg

Trebizond/ Osmangulli defenders preparing to face the Ottoman onslaught.

Now Alexius was no fool, he knew that the Timurids were a terrfing force and it would be extremly tough to stop them but ALexius had a plan. He had studied up on Timurids warfare, he had sent spies to Tamerlanes court, they soon gave him info on his army makeup, and valuable information. Alexius knew that this war would determine who was the dominant force. Alexius soon was startled at what he discoveed, the Timurids were mainly an army made purely of Archers on horses as well as a couple heavy calvary and elephants. Together with Murad ALexius laid out a course of war. The Timurids would most likely rain down their arrows so what he would do is have the powerful byzantine swordsmen form a shield wall, this wall would provide protection against the Calvary. Now another pressing problem facing Alexius was how to deal with the massive war elephants, he decided to use an old roman trick, when the ELephants charged he would have his pikemen spear the eyes and nose of the elphant driving the elephant mad that it will crash into enemy lines. In order to deal with the heavy calvary he would wait for the Calvary to charge by planning a feigned retreat and then have the powerful Byzantine horse archers, and Ottoman Spihahi calvary reign hell down upon the enemy. ALso he would not fall for nay trick tamer tries. However Alexius had a secret weapon he would unviel. FOr some years the ROmans were trying to find a way to effectivly equip greek fire to their infantry. He finnaly found the way and soon created the byzantine firethrowers, they would be his pride which he created, they would charge foreward at his signal and flame the enemy troops. It was an ingenious tactic, also Alexius ordered the Greek fire to come in form of NApalm, basically he had oil gasoline and the various resources tat make up greek fire into LArge balls used by catapaults, these balls would ignite and soon explode casuing massive casulties to the enemy.
greek_firethrower_info.png

The terrifing Greek firethrower had been unvieled. With this army Alexius and Murad agreed to face off against the Timurids and end the timurid power in the east.......

:)Update guys.

On January 1411 the combined Trebizond-Osmngulli army met face to face with the forces of Tamerlane at Armenia. Armenia at this time was under the rule of Georgia with their king David IV "the Builder
Now an alaiance excisted beetween Trebizond and Georgia in order to promote mutual defense, This was due to the fact the two countries were always surrounded by powerful kingdoms. Now In lae December Timur launched a two front war, Shah Rukh and led the offensive against Eritrea while Timur personally oversaw the destruction of Georgia. In quick respose Alexius split the Osmangulli and Byzantine forces, Murad would lead the Osmangulli and Byzantine forces, as well as some mercinary Bedoins with Eritean aid to defend Eritea, while Alexius launched an offensive to save Georgia. Shah Rukh

Now Alexius was no fool and He knew that Tamerlane was a formidable enemy. He realized that if the Georgians did not work with Trebizond both armies would suffer. So now the King of Georgia David II agreed to lend all available forces to stop Timur at Armenia. Soon the armies assemble don the battlefield. Tamerlane and the Timurids faced off across a river the enemy who were led by Alexius and David, the battle would be known as the Battle of Armenia or better remembered as the war of the three monarchs. In which David II, Alexius VI Kommenos faced of against Tamerlane. The battle that followed would be disastourous for both sides and end inconclusivly.
gallery_6_10702.jpg
Marching
army of the Timurids.
Byzantines_small.jpg
Portrait of the advancing Georgian-Trebizond army.

The battle started at sunup. The Byzantine firethrowers were positioned at the front, they would be a key factor in the oncoming battle. Tamer surveyed the Infidels. " Strange are those men with weapons. The do not look normal. Hmmm." Timur did not know what they were so he decided to find out. He sent out an army of 2000 fodder peaseants who he thought the Barbarians would destroy and see the weapon in action. Alexius did not fall for Timur's bait and he ordered fodder archers to fire at the peaseants. The rain of arrows soon dispersed the peaseants who routed. Timur was outraged." This bastard!!!!" He ordered his troops to feign retreat and try to lower the enemy. At first the Georgians tried running thinking they won but halted after Alexius ordered a stop. Timur was dumbfounded as his horses and army were running away but were not being followed. Instead ALexius ordered his horse archers to fire arrows on the exposed backs of the Timurids. One peculiar characteristic Alexius ordered was fire arrow. Arrows were lighted on fire and released. This caused much panic to break out among Timur's horses leading to much confusion everywhere. Shockingly Timur managed to order his troops in time and was stunned. His own plan had backfired. He soon ordered his host of elephants to charge at the enemy troops.
images

Alexius ordered his spearmen to the front forming a line and had them poke the elephants noses. What this did was affect the elephants sensitive spot. Soon the elephants panicked, and ALexius ordered the Catapaults to fire flaming stones at the elephants. The flames caused panic to spread and the elepahants soon charged towards their own lines causing massive casulties to the poor horseman. Alexius laughed while Timur was near tears. The whole army was completly routed by War elephants, who had now lost control. Even worse during the confusin the Greek firethrowers had run to the enemy lines and what was unleashed was painful. Greek fire spewed out and burned many horseman and soon chaos was ensued in the whole army. Timur retreated with his loyal gaurd back to Van and conceded defeat. The battle of Armenia had ended in complete Trebizond victory and proved to the Timurids Trebizond was not too be trifled with, it also was the single most devastating victory won since Manzikert, that caused so many casulties but resulting in little loss for the opposing side.

What do people think:)

This is getting better and better, but for the love of God, USE FORMATTING, GRAMMAR, SPELLING, AND PARAGRAPHING!!!

Update guys. I fixed the formatting:eek::eek:
At around the same time Shah Rukh led a force of 16000 soldiers to face off against the Allies of Trebizond led by Bayezid.

Bayezid led a force of 1000 Genoan mercenaries, auzxilliary Trebizond soldier, Byzantine Infantry and calvary, as well as his seasoned and veteran Osmangulli army, he was also assisted by the Sultan of Eretea who spared a force of around 4000 troops totaling his army to 14000 men. Now Bayexid knew that Rukh was not to be underestimated and he went along with the plan Alexius laid out. Shah Rukh was dumbfounded at the news he heard in his camp at the outskirts of Sivas. He was surprised that Tamer had lost. Now normally this would not have made much of a difference but because of Tamers defeat Alexius could now lead a pincer attack on Rukh. Meaning his army had effectively been cut off from supplies.

Tamerlane was stunned at his defeat and brooded. He thought things could not take a turn for the worse but they did. The Jalyalids under their sultan had seized this opportunity and invaded Tamer’s land. To make matter worse Delhi was moving its armies onto the heartland of Tamerlane’s empire. Although Delhi had been silenced, due to the weak position of Tamer’s forces in the east, Tamer had withdrawn most of his manpower to Gilan to act, as reinforcements should his main army fail. However their was also no effective general in the Far East, while the Jalyalids were terrorizing Timurid lands. Tamer knew that he was in no position to fight with Trebizond so he sued for peace.

In Armenia Alexius received envoys from Tamer for peace. In return he would give up Van and Armenia to Trebizond and pay 3000 ducats, in return for peace, he would also guarantee Georgia’s independence. Alexius was pleased with the news, for he realized that Tamer had a huge manpower base to draw from and that Trebizond at current was in no shape to launch an invasion of Persia let alone face Tamer’s massive armies if givn enough time. Thus Alexius readily accepted the deal. It would be known as the Peace of Van.

Many Historians agree that with this new land Trebizond doubled in size and was left with no real threat. Shah Rukh and the Timurid forces were recalled from Eritea and ordered to destroy the Jalyalids. With no war against Trebizond Timur turned to his problems. After Shah Rukh and his army wheeled for the Jalyalid capital. Tamer raised a huge army conscripted from over 40000 soldiers with one sole purpose. Delhi had overstepped it’s boundaries sand now Tamer was keen on crushing that petty Sultanate once and for all.
With this treaty Trebizond doubled in its size due to the vast lands gained from Van.

In late july Timurid forces marched for Delhi led by Timur himself at their head. Tamer vowed that Delhi would be eradicated from the face of the eart.

Srry guys unfortunatly no pictures this time but I promise next post you will not be dissapointed:)

Fellow AH members. Recently I have acted like a troll. I am extremly regretful and have learned from my mistake. I am extremly srry for my terrible posts. I ask you fellow AH members plz forgive me give me another chance, I promise to never troll again. Now I know most will ignore this update but for those loyal fans of this tl. I shall continue with Rise of Trebizond. I have taken help from RIngo starr who should recieve thanks for proofreading this update. It has few mistake, has been formatted properly, and is not a wall of text. So for those fans of this TL here is the update the show must go On!!!!:(

Update:
Now after Alexios had turned victorious over the Timurid invaders, he and his army returned home to Trapezounta where they were welcome in as heroes. The Empire of Trapezounta was double its previous size. In Trapezounta, Michelle and Alexios grew very close to one another and in a period of five years, a total of six children were born to the imperial couple; three boys and three girls. During this time, Alexios turned inward to consolidating the new annexed lands into his empire by commissioning the construction of schools, universities and public recreational centers. He soon passed an important edict known as the Komnenian Edict. In the Edict, Alexios promised that there would be a tolerance for the non-Greeks and non-Christians who lived in his empire and that their way of living will not be intruded upon in exchange for swearing absolute allegiance to Trapezounta and military service. This allowed the Emperor to consolidate his grip on the new lands as well as increasing the rate of Hellenisation

Meanwhile in distant India, Tamerlane was marching for the city of Delhi while Shah Rukh was fighting the Sultan of the Jalyalids. For the next thirteen years, Tamer would launch a brutal, bloody campaign through the northern Indian lands of the Delhi Sultanate. When Delhi was captured, he ordered the city ransacked, the entire population save for the artisans to be exterminated, including the royal family. Yet his lust for conquest would not end there, he would seize Agra and the remainder of the lands of the Sultanate, annexing them to the Timurid empire.

Meanwhile Shah Rukh finally crushed the remaining resistance held by the Jalyalids. With Delhi secured Timur decided to deal with the Greek empire of Alexios, unfortunately his plans would not be pursued. Tamer fell ill and died on his way marching across the Indus. The death sent shockwaves throughout the empire. Tamer had no son to succeed him. He was the flesh and blood that held the vast empire of the Timurids and upon his death, like the great Temujin and Alexander before him, his empire would crumble away immediately. Various generals of Tamerlane carved up their own kingdoms from Tamerlane's old empire and a brutal war of succession broke out. Cities rebelled and former comrades would fight each other in a bloody civil war.

The year was 1426 and Alexios knew that his daughters and sons had to be married. His three sons were named David, Nikephoros, Michael, while his daughters were named Maria, Anna, and Anastasia. He knew they had to be married and he knew the perfect suitors. On the fifteenth of July, a great wedding ceremony was held in a dual royal marriage. The House of Jagiellion in Poland married their heir to Maria while David married a princess from the Jagiellion to symbolize the new alliance between the two eastern powers. Likewise, Alexios convinced the Hungarian king to a marriage. Michelle convinced her brother to have his daughter marry Michael, and his son marries Anastasia. What this accomplished was a union between the house of Capet and the House of Kommenian. Likewise at Alexius urging the Hungarian royal house married into the French and Polish royal houses that likewise did the same. This led to an intertwined marriage between France, Trebizond, Poland, and Hungary. With this complete in December of 1426 the 4 powers signed the quadruple alliance between Hungary, France, Poland, and Trebizond. Now at this time Louis was busy fighting the English and the Burgundians. In 1416 at the terrible loss of Agincourt Paris and most of France fell to the Burgundians and British. However hope was not lost. With this alliance Louis turned to his alliance partners. When he sent a plea, Poland, Hungary, and Trebizond agreed to support France and pledged to send troops and supplies to France. This was a major turning point in the war because now the war was not between France vs. Britain and Burgundy, but became the quadruple alliance versus Burgundy and Britain.

Alexius was now aged 50 and had accomplished a great deal of things, but tragedy struck. Alexius became ill and soon fell into a sickness. Alexius knew he could not die or all he did would go to waste. So he called his three sons to his deathbed. The three sons listened to Alexius words. “ My sons I have not much time left to live in this world. I have outlined a succession. He turned to David. David you shall be the new Emperor Trebizond, however, he then turned to the other two boys. Michael you shall be the King of my Balkan possession of Constantinople, Morea, and half of Karaman, while Nikephoros you shall be King of Trebizond, Van, and Armenia, and the other half of Candar. David you shall be supreme emperor but you must rule wisely and justly. Your brothers will be the leaders of their provinces but you are the head of the government. The constitution of Trebizond is the final say. What this means is that each kingdom will be a state within the empire with their own constitution and government, but thy must follow the national government which has the say in most foreign and major matters dealing with the whole nations. Do you understand.” The three sons nodded and David announced, “ Father I have heard your plan end am willing to follow it.” Alexius smiled as he coughed. “ Very well I have one more thing to say, you three are brothers you must swear to me that none of you will fight each other. What I mean is that you must tell our children who will tell their children that you all must not fight each other. The various borders at Kandar and Trebizond mark this. You my sons may not cross those borders with an army intending to destroy you brother. For if you do then you will be forsaking. Make the vow that none of you nor your family will fight each other and I can die a peaceful and happy man, this is my final wish.” The three brothers kneeled and sweared the oath. With a smile Alexius felt his life ebbing away. The next day Alexius was dead. The great emperor had met his final end. Michelle cried for days afterward and she too passed away a few weeks later. On the death of Alexius a huge funeral was held in which all the major allies of Trebizond and vassals attended. Church bells rang throughout Trebizond and people mourned for a month about Alexius. Such was his reign hat no one could hate him. A national holiday was set on December 16th the day Alexius died. Never would he be forgotten. After his death Historians gave him the title of Alexius V the Great Grand prince of Trebizond, Emperor of the Romans, King of Armenia, King of Van, King of Candar, and King of Morea. With his death a new chapter would arise in the history of Trebizond. This period would be called Pox Trebizond and last for a hundred years before chaos once again shook Trebizond and in the 18th century a crisis would rack Trebuzond that would lead it to near destruction, the crisis of the 18th century, before Trebizond would recover again and become the Great power that it is today in the year 2010.

Is that the reason why you have been making so many tl's?

Oh um will the osmanguli be destroyed any time soon?

Or will they still be an honerary vassal state?

Good update
Actually no. What happened is in the Alexander the Great, Genghis khan, Napoleon thread I acted like an imbecile and very trolllike. Likewise in the Egypt TL I did ery little research and acted trolly. Yeah. In reality all those other tls were made because mos of them failed. Reason being they became ASB or just uninteresting:)

Oh about the Osmangulli yeah they are vassals pretty much for a long time.
I.n fact their a key reason for Trebizond success so they will remain a vassal. Also the Osmangulli have very good relations with Trebizond.

One quick question, I know in otl the Jaggleons, Capet, and Hungarian royL houses went extinct so just wondering how plausible would a quadruple union be. Meaning the Kommenians rule Hungary, France, and Poland. Is it AsB. It won't happen now but I'm just curious.

Hey guys, I had BG proofread my tl for me so her is the next update in this tl. Enjoy;)
The Fall of the Anatolian beyliks

Update:

In the year 1430 war was raging across France. The war was the hundred years war. The English
had occupied most of France after their victory at Agincourt. However LouisXI was not deterred and fought fiercely the combined British-Burgundian onslaught.

David III became Emperor of Trebizond. He was a leader much like his father.However he had major troubles he had to face.. The Sultanates of Karaman, Dulkadir, and Aydin were becoming annoyances to Trebizond. After launching guerilla raids they made David furious. He knew he needed a casus belli to attack the enemy. Then it struck him he would call a war of reconquest. The Reconquest was to destroy the infidels of southern Anatolia who were a thorn in his side. He would have he Patriarch of Constantinople declare a war of reconuest against the three sultanates.
David met with Mehmet to discuss his ideas. At first Mehmet was wary,
mainly because since the Osmangulli were Islamic it did not feel right. However David was one could say extremely manipulative
. He could have his way and make such an impression on people that they ended up agreeing with him. He could turn a bad situation to his advantage. Such was his skill that no one dared to revolt against him.

Mehmet and David came to an agreement. The Beautiful Maria Paleologai was a cousin of the Kommenians and the daughter of the Eparch of Constantinople. Mehmet had fallen in love with her after a meeting in the ball. David quickly agreed. Marya was one of the prettiest women in the east and she too fell for Mehmet’s charming looks and her father agreed to the marriage. So on Christmas day the marriage ceremony was held. With this alliance sealed Mehmet son rallied the Osmangulli army of 15000 troops. Along with the Trebizond and its possessions an army was created numbering 30000. The Sultanate of Eritrea gladly supported Trebizond due to Trebizond’s aid.
Another reason why Eritrea supported Trebizond was that by this time the sultan was effectively a puppet of Trebizond. SO with the Eritrea aid an army of 40000 was assembled. At its head were David, Mehmet, Nikephoros, and Konstantinios. On January of 1431 the Patriarch of Constantinople called a reqonquest encouraging all Orthodox Christians to retake lands, which formally were Christian. With the patriarch’s approval Trebizond declared war on Karaman Aydin and Dulkadir. Nikephoros would deal with Aydin, while David and Konstantinios dealt with Dulkadir and Mehmet would deal with Karaman. Now a cousin of Mehmet ruled Karaman, however relations were horrible, this sultan despised Mehmet and did everything to make Mehmet furious. Now Mehmet was out for revenge. The first conquest was Aydin. The bey of Aydin ruled over much of the Anatolian coast, soon an army of 13000 Trebizond troops led by Nikephoros invaded it. In a lightning campaign Aydin soon suffered crushing defeats to the superior Trebizond army and soon fell. Its royal family was killed of and Aydin was annexed into Trebizond. In a similar fashion the might of 20000 troops laid waste to Dulkadir. Dulkadir was allied with the Timurids but received no aid due to the ongoing civil war. Thus Dulkadir to met a bloody and brutal end. Finally Karaman remained and the army of 7000 Veteran Osmangulli under the brilliant leadership of Mehmet crushed the Sultan at Karaman, and soon Karaman was sacked and also became annexed to Trebizond.

Last edited: