Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VII (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Slightly better but not by much. I don't think voters care much for the VP pick as they do nowadays. Quayle might've been the exception back in the day given his gaffes like his debate with Bentsen in '88 and the time he misspelled "potatoe" in '91. I don't think too many people had their minds changed by Bush's pick of Quayle but any who did IOTL would vote for Bush. Again, it'd probably be a miniscule increase for Bush but an increase nonetheless.

Slightly better but not by much. I don't think voters care much for the VP pick as they do nowadays. Quayle might've been the exception back in the day given his gaffes like his debate with Bentsen in '88 and the time he misspelled "potatoe" in '91. I don't think too many people had their minds changed by Bush's pick of Quayle but any who did IOTL would vote for Bush. Again, it'd probably be a miniscule increase for Bush but an increase nonetheless.

He would've done better imo
Makes perfect sense to me. I wonder how the ticket would have done in New York State though. With Jack Kemp being from New York and being a US Representative and with George H. W. Bush only losing the state by a narrow margin of 4.10%, could it be possible for the Empire State to vote for the GOP one final time?

Makes perfect sense to me. I wonder how the ticket would have done in New York State though. With Jack Kemp being from New York and being a US Representative and with George H. W. Bush only losing the state by a narrow margin of 4.10%, could it be possible for the Empire State to vote for the GOP one final time?
Probably, plus, Kemp was relatively smart and beloved by conservatives, so that might give Bush better credentials come '92 (perhaps even using Kemp to keep people like Gingrich on his side)

Potentially but 4.1% of the vote in New York in 1988 was 266 thousand votes. Now Washington State OTOH was decided by 1.59%, just under 30 thousand votes, so I could see that state flipping and maybe Wisconsin too (3.61% or 79 thousand votes). 266 thousand is pushing it but I'd put it in maybe territory.

Probably, plus, Kemp was relatively smart and beloved by conservatives, so that might give Bush better credentials come '92 (perhaps even using Kemp to keep people like Gingrich on his side)
Wait! Newt Gingrich was against George H. W. Bush? I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday I guess.

With what I think your saying is that Jack Kemp was smarter than Dan Quayle, especially with the whole "potatoe" thing. I will agree with you that a Bush-Kemp ticket would probably do better in 1992, but the thicket would probably still lose to Bill Clinton.

Also, given that Kemp in OTL was Bob Dole's running mate in the 1996 election, I assume that Dole would probably have a different running mate.
Potentially but 4.1% of the vote in New York in 1988 was 266 thousand votes. Now Washington State OTOH was decided by 1.59%, just under 30 thousand votes, so I could see that state flipping and maybe Wisconsin too (3.61% or 79 thousand votes). 266 thousand is pushing it but I'd put it in maybe territory.
True, Washington and Wisconsin were closer than New York. However, I assume with different running mates and depending on the region, it could affect votes.

Wait! Newt Gingrich was against George H. W. Bush? I didn't know that. You learn something new everyday I guess.
The two had bad blood after a negotiation on tax hikes in 1990 (IIRC) went awry, while he supported him for reelection, the two never got along together, apparently not even Bush Jr. met with him, at least that's how he put it in his book "March to Majority," and I haven't bothered to read more into it

Also, given that Kemp in OTL was Bob Dole's running mate in the 1996 election, I assume that Dole would probably have a different running mate.
He'd probably go with Connie Mack III or John McCain. If he went with the latter then that could better or worsen McCain's chances in 2000. Either McCain would become the heir apparent for the GOP instead of Dubya or it'd be a situation similar to the recurring theme in AH wherein JFK gets the VP nomination in 1956 only to lose in a landslide ending his political career.

There's also a decent chance former Vice President Kemp could be a legitimate presidential candidate in 1996 in a way that Quayle simply couldn't have been. You might butterfly Dole ever getting the nomination entirely.

Light of the Nation - Part 10: The Grin Shall Win

After 8 years with Jimmy Carter, Washington had concluded it was safe to ignore Jimmy Carter. The Former Georgia Governor got on well enough with President Mondale. But otherwise he was an inexperienced man in a cutthroat world. Carter had little to offer in terms of negotiations, at home or abroad. He’d learned some, but he was no sausage maker. If anything his habit of clinging to honesty and moral integrity made him a liability. And electorally? Well he couldn’t even carry the South now could he? He had some use as an attack dog. But his was the attack of a preacher, trying to shame you back to the right for a higher purpose. Not the kind aimed at making you scared for primary challenge, or losing a factory in your district. Carter made you guilty, not scared.

Not an attack dog, not a legislator. Washington was content to write off Vice President Carter in the 1984 election. He might run as a formality, but he wouldn’t actually go anywhere. Peanut farming hick was the verdict. Nice enough, but only fit for funerals and photo-ops.

They had forgotten how Carter, despite being a nobody in ‘76, had come close to derailing Mondale.

They had forgotten how he had won the South, even beating George Wallace to do so.

They had forgotten how he had charmed his way to prominence.

They had forgotten The Grin.

Jimmy Carter knew he had never fit in Washington. But that could be a strength if played right. He had gone to the Beltway and emerged clean, like Daniel emerging from the Lion’s den. And yet he could also point to all the good Mondale had done, and cloak himself in that. Carter hit the campaign trail early and he hit it hard. He campaigned like he was still the obscure Former Governor from Georgia rather than Vice President. So what? Said Washington. It’s not like he’s doing anything important, and besides he’s different, voters won’t like that.

The smart money was on someone with establishment credentials. Gary Hart fizzled out, but there were others willing to take up the standard. Alan Cranston played for the youth vote with a nuclear freeze, but lacked name recognition and charisma. John Glenn also lacked the electric personality some wanted from a President. But he was buoyed by institutional support from the some Unions that had buttressed Mondale. A bit rusted, but still strong enough. And well, it’s John Glenn! American hero! Astronaut! Spaaaaaaace!!!!!! If charisma was what you were after, look no further than Jesse Jackson. Preacher, activist, icon. Merging together minorities, progressives, those left behind, he sought a Rainbow Coalition. In some ways he foresaw the future of the party. But the time was not yet ripe.

And yet all fell to The Grin. The Grin that lit up the room. The Grin that energized the crowd. The Grin that promised to be responsible with your tax dollars, but also promised you won’t go hungry. The Grin that had stood by Mondale all these years, and Democrats liked Mondale. A strong ground game begat a surge in the polls, which begat money, which begat a strong campaign which begat another surge etc. Carter’s open and honest faith also appealed to many voters, and party insiders liked the idea of stealing back evangelicals and the South. The establishment began to line up behind him. Mondale gave no endorsement, but assured Union Leaders Carter was at least reasonable. His talk of transparency and honesty shone through, especially when Glenn and Cranston got caught up in an emerging scandal around Keating.

In the end, Carter waltzed to the nomination. By the time it happened it was seen as logical, predictable. But it had been anything but that months ago. Carter gripped his wife’s hand and prepared to announce his historic running mate, to face down his Republican opponent.

View attachment 895984
Where did you get that Glenn picture?

Yet another McKinley survives TL, except the Republicans don't dominate...
1908-01.png

My new series that I've spent a month on spans from 1980 to the present day, and unfortunately there isn't a chance I could censor it as the main character is a current political figure and it's just... too much.

As such my new series can be found
here, and if you have a comment please direct it there.

(Would it be too cheeky of me to suggest that if you like the series that you however like this post instead?)

There's also a decent chance former Vice President Kemp could be a legitimate presidential candidate in 1996 in a way that Quayle simply couldn't have been. You might butterfly Dole ever getting the nomination entirely.
Kemp did seem more presidential than Quayle IMHO.

He'd probably go with Connie Mack III or John McCain. If he went with the latter then that could better or worsen McCain's chances in 2000. Either McCain would become the heir apparent for the GOP instead of Dubya or it'd be a situation similar to the recurring theme in AH wherein JFK gets the VP nomination in 1956 only to lose in a landslide ending his political career.
Thanks for the answers.

1711239298726.png

part of the Ozymandiasverse (aka what if the USA became a liberal georgist isolationist republic (not all at once) after losing the civil war (and bill clinton was gaddafi))
also a fitting song in context:

Is there an index of any other posts from this TL?

How did Bush end up in the Confederacy ITTL when he was born in New Haven?
there's none on ah.com, but its sorted in my slp graphics thread;
He moved to Texas in order to take advantage of a loophole in their laws, rose up the ranks of the Whigs to take over as governor, and the rest is history