WI: The United States invades Sweden in the 1970s?

The US would not go to war with all of Europe, including two nuclear powers (three if you count the Soviets), over Sweden of all places.
Those 3 nuclear powers will not go to war with the strongest military on the planet to protect Sweden 🇸🇪
I’m not trying to be jingoistic here just being Kissinger-esque

And again let me clarify that I think this is purely theoretical, no way is this scenario is happening in real life unless Swedish govt is implicated CLEARLY in a 9/11 like terrorists attack
BUT if this does happen then European powers cannot stop the US juggernaut, the power imbalance is just too great

Last edited:
Those 3 nuclear powers will not go to war with the strongest military on the planet to protect Sweden 🇸🇪
I’m not trying to be jingoistic here just being Kissinger-esque

And again let me clarify that I think this is purely theoretical, no way is this scenario is happening in real life unless Swedish govt is implicated CLEARLY in a 9/11 like terrorists attack
BUT if this does happen then European powers cannot stop the US juggernaut, the power imbalance is just too great
US has ZERO power projection capabilities into the baltics without its european allies. Europe can simply close off the straits and there is no war.

Not really. Then USA should invade lot of other countries too. And USA didn't invade Sweden after WW2 despite that it sold iron ore to Germany through the war.
No I think they should've invaded and also bombed every IKEA.

In all seriousness the amount of alcohol consumption needed for a US official to make this decision would cause their liver to combust far before they could do so

This is pretty strongly ASB

If the US did not invade during WW2, when Sweden was literally a point of logistical access for Germany and shipped it tons of war material, then no, I don't think the preachy virtue signaling that Sweden at the time was doing in the 70s (also regarding how Pol Pot was great, etc) would trigger something like that

While Sweden did allow Germany to ship soldiers going to and from leave to Norway over the Swedish railway network, as well as food and other non-contraband goods, it sold iron ore and ball bearings to Germany, neither of which could be considered war material.

Iron ore was sold to Britqin too before the Germans took Norway, and ball bearings were sold throughout the war shipped on fast motor gunboats, flown by BOAC or brought in by escaping Norwegian mercant vessels.

Okay let's dial this back to the most half-way plausible idea:

What if the CIA attempts regime change, possibly through something as low-level as elections tampering, in Sweden?