WI: The United States invades Sweden in the 1970s?

Okay, so crazy as it sounds Sweden actually support the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War. No, I am not making this up:
WI in the early 1970s the US uses this Swedish support for the Viet Cong as a casus belli to invade the country?

People supplying medical aid and money to your enemy is not enough justification for you to declare war and invade their country. If it were, WW3 would have happened long ago.

USA would not violate NATO over Viet Cong support. If you want a timeline where the USA attacks Sweden, you would need PODs that predate World War 1.

Edit: I forgot Sweden didn't join NATO until last year. My point still stands.

Last edited:
The Soviet Union would be glad to offer assistance to Sweden to defend its sovereignity against the capitalist aggressor.

Edit: ninja'd by Monk78

Was Sweden part of NATO?

How would be this invasion? Sweden is a cold forested country, it will be like a Winter war?

In the 70s Sweden wasn't a member of the EU yet.
I forgotten it took till the 1990s for Sweden to actually join the Union, I thought it was much earlier, but yeah 1970s Sweden is neither part of NATO or the European Economic Community at this time.

... I mean, how...? No NATO country would allow the US to deploy from it for this, which would mean the US sailing and maintaining an invasion fleet through the Kattegat strait... that would be fun...

... I mean, how...? No NATO country would allow the US to deploy from it for this, which would mean the US sailing and maintaining an invasion fleet through the Kattegat strait... that would be fun...
But Denmark or FRG are not going to war to protect Sweden either

But Denmark or FRG are not going to war to protect Sweden either
Not the point. The point is that Sweden knows exactly where the enemy is. A long, slow line of ships, moving in very restritect waters, extremely easy to mine warfare. At the end of it, park a few Draken or Sjöormen class subs, just lying there waiting for the oh-so-noisy ships... and I don't carriers there can travel fast enough to launch aircraft, at least fighters, so you'd have to park some carriers in the Atlantic to launch F-4s and Crusaders to try to counter swedish Drakkens (or Viggens, depending on the year).

Whole scenario is completely ASB and it doesn't make any sense. Norway, Denmark and Germany wouldn't allow such thing and rest of NATO hardly is happy either. I doubt that even Americans would are happy when they are invading friendly neutral democratic nation what most of them hardly have even heard even if they have seen IKEA.

That would be complete strategic blunder for USA and Soviet Union would get 1000 propaganda points when ti can now point how crazy and war mongering USA is. And with that logic Allies should had invade Sweden already soon after WW2 because it supplied Germany or Argentina because it allowed some war criminals flee there.