WI: The United States invades Sweden in the 1970s?

Devvy

Donor
This is absolutely impossible without changing the timeline so much that Sweden is a different country from what it is now (and probably butterflies away the Vietnam War).

Sweden, whilst not technically part of NATO, was a de facto ally. If there was a Soviet invasion westwards, Sweden would be expected to defend their territory from the USSR, providing indirect defence to Norway and Denmark. In the 1970s, Sweden is also part of EFTA, which whilst not a defensive alliance, firmly pits Sweden in the same economic camp as the "capitalist west", headed by the USA.

The USA invading Sweden would mark the end of NATO, as all NATO allies would see that their defensive "partner" is wholly willing to violate European territorial sovereignty, and also means that the US can't be trusted as a valued partner. Canada has a fit - if the US is happy to invade a European democracy, then how likely are they to invade a democracy just to the north which has the worlds longest undefended border? Canada ceases to trust US defense co-operation and has implications for NORAD, which would actually worsen US defense.

The USSR has a field day bonanza; the USA has proven itself to be a worse partner and worse threat to world peace then the USSR which allows the USSR to forge new political (and thus economic) links with a whole swathe of new countries.

And for all these reasons, and probably more I can't think of, there's absolutely no chance of the USA invading any western capitalist country such as Sweden.

Assuming of course this hypothetical conflict doesn't escalate to WW3, I think it is equally likely that Björn, Benny, Frida and Agnetha form ABBA anyway once the dust has settled.
Or they form a Bard Gang, using their songs to inspire swedish guerrilas and sow terror on poor US invaders.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Or they form a Bard Gang, using their songs to inspire swedish guerrilas and sow terror on poor US invaders.
Waterloo won't be a jaunty little number - although The Winner Takes It All may be more appropriate.

Of course, if this war butterflies away Eurovision, it's not all bad.

Not the point. The point is that Sweden knows exactly where the enemy is. A long, slow line of ships, moving in very restritect waters, extremely easy to mine warfare. At the end of it, park a few Draken or Sjöormen class subs, just lying there waiting for the oh-so-noisy ships... and I don't carriers there can travel fast enough to launch aircraft, at least fighters, so you'd have to park some carriers in the Atlantic to launch F-4s and Crusaders to try to counter swedish Drakkens (or Viggens, depending on the year).
What if just airborne assault?

A dedicated air campaign to wipe out the Swedish airforce first and then fly in as many troops as needed to take over the major cities

Linebacker III like assault preceding it to break the back of the Swedish army

What if just airborne assault?

A dedicated air campaign to wipe out the Swedish airforce first and then fly in as many troops as needed to take over the major cities

Linebacker III like assault preceding it to break the back of the Swedish army
... launching from where?...

This really is ASB because barring some sort of malign mind control on the US government .
Or of Swedish govt covertly supplying VC NVA with hi tech weaponry and Swedish scientist conducting medical torture on US poW ( hey I’m trying to make it work guys clutching at straws )

Assuming of course this hypothetical conflict doesn't escalate to WW3, I think it is equally likely that Björn, Benny, Frida and Agnetha form ABBA anyway once the dust has settled.
They will be public enemy #1 in USA and UK who hopefully will follow our lead
Did they even have IKEA in US back then ?
What will we rename Swedish meatballs ?

Red Dawn like movie will be released in Sweden as “Blue hailstorm “ or something

Leftist movements in Europe will get an enormous boost

Finland ( acting like Laos) will probably allow Soviet assistance and they will most likely send air defense assets and what else ?

Volunteer Nordic airforce crewed by scandinavian pilots and MiG-21s ?

What can USN do to strangle Swedish economy?

Last edited:
Just out of interest, which president would be requesting Congress to back this attempt to be remembered in history?
It looks to me like you'd need a president who was extremely unpopular with congress for them to be so cruel as to vote yes.

Realistically every single European country tells the US to go to hell, making any invasion nearly impossible.