Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

@Henry III , i really hope that Edward II and his half siblings will be close
I would say as long as they are not hopeless Kings like Henry III or Henry Vi or people that don't understand human nature

Or give too much to their favourites or are scared of their Lords having private armies like with Edward ii and Richard II

Than thing should be okay for Edward II if he will grow to become a different man than otl

As for England from 1274 to 1453 the Kingdom was almost constantly at war

And even if Philip iV line keeps ruling France and the Male and main line of House Capet does not die out their is still the

Fight over the duke guscany or other Dukedoms that the Plantagenets could claim the only issue is that Edward I of England

Would technically be a traitor due to also being a vassel of the French Crown

In otl Edward I of England dead in 1307 he could in this live a few years longer but when he did die he was 68 years old

So I would say no longer than 1309 or 1310 and his early child that could be born would be born in 1294 making than at the youngest when Edward dead in otl at the age of 12 or 13

And at most of he dead later between 15 and 18 years old and it has become the convention that sons of the king would be provided for we've lands

Their is no reason they would fight especially if the eldest brother is the king and most likely Edward ii would send them on campaign

Or to forfill other tasks

Edward III of England had a younger brother called Jon who was Early of Cornwall and was a key commander of his brother

He thought in the Battle of Hildon hill in 1333 at age 16 and dead at age 20 in 1336

If he would have lived he would have been one of the key figures of his rule like Henry Grmount the first Duke of Lancaster

Sons of they are old enough would be giving lands that are rich and would help their royal brother or father rule the kingdom

Only Henry ii and Edward III had enough sons to do the job with it be a success for Edward but a disaster of our Henry because he would not give his children really power

As for Edward he gave his eldest son edward of Woodstock the principality of Wales, earldom of Chester and Duke of Cornwall

And after his victory at the Battle of poetier in 1356 he as a reward was created prince of aquatane and ruled as a principality for nearly 10 years

His second son Lionel Duke of Clarence was given lands in Ireland to secure that region

John of Guant Duke of Lancaster was giving Northern England

As for Edward III other sons Edmund of Langley and Thomas of Woodstock and Duke of Gloucester where too young to have a bigger rule during their fathers rule

So I'm this I would have a good guess that it will be Edward II who would have plans for his brothers placing them in Ireland, southern England, Scotland but that would depend in Queen Margaret

Their also guscany if Edward I or Edward ii manage to enlarge the duchy

Also there is the possibility they could dia young or be killed in battle

Chapter VII - A Royal Council
June 1292. Palace of Westminster, England.

Edward raised his cup and the eight-year-old boy that served as his page ran forward, filling it up with watered-down wine. His advisors surrounded him on all sides, preparing documents and suggestions of marriages for the royal ladies.

Joan, Edward’s second surviving daughter, had been married for two years to Gilbert de Clare, so he disconsidered her easily. Not to mention, she was far too stubborn and self-indulgent to ever be used in political alliances. He couldn’t trust her to do what was best for England and marrying her to one of his vassals kept her close enough where he could still watch her.

Eleanor would be married to Alfonso de Aragon as soon as the Infanta arrived. Margaret was already married to the heir to Brabant. Then there was Mary, who would become a nun according to her grandmother’s wish, though Edward still believed himself capable of arranging a dissolution of her vows if he so wished. Which left only Elizabeth.

“Lady Elizabeth is to marry John of Holland as soon as possible,” said Edward. She was ten and John was two years younger, being raised in the English court since his betrothal was formalised. “When her sister is married and the Infanta is settled on her role of queen, we must begin to seek the necessary dispensations to have them wed before their canon age. At least, so my child can begin to use the title of Countess.” Edward was not a monster. He wouldn’t have his daughter consummate the marriage before she came of age, but the rank of a countess would award her many privileges.

He looked back at the page before him, a boy of great beauty that had not inherited his drooping eyelid. “Édouard,” said Edward, “Tell me why is it important for your sister to be married, even if she won’t produce children for another decade.”

Édouard took a moment to think, holding tightly to his bottle of wine. “Because she will be a countess,” he said, raising his eyebrow as if about to ask a question. “She will have the money and the power.”

Edward held back a smile. “Exactly,” he said. “Men will have to respect her as the Countess of Holland and she will be awarded lands in her husband’s country that will be enough to form a household, allowing her expenses to be dealt by someone other than me. Englishmen and women shall have employment and my child will rise higher in the world.” He smiled. “And if the count were to die a day after your sister was married to him, what would happen then?”

Édouard looked at the counsellors, surprised that his father was talking to him before he turned back to him. “She will have the dower lands, won’t she, father?” It was a question then and his son’s face was eager, though still hesitant. “And the money from those lands.”

“Precisely,” said Edward. “That is why children marry. Why anyone marries at all.” He looked back at his counsellors. “The entire world is ruled by money, boy.”

The meeting continued into other matters and Edward ignored his son’s presence behind him, concentrating on the different problems and tasks that demanded a king’s attention. There was a brigand of thieves in Shrewsbury and the Welsh populace seemed particularly discontent as of late, though he was not too worried about either. There were local lords who could bring both to heel.

At the end, when all of his advisors left, Edward indicated for Édouard to take away his cup, which was still half-full. His son did so dutifully before he turned to look back at him, with the wide eyes of a puppy.

“Father,” Édouard began, “I don’t think Elizabeth will be happy about her marriage. She doesn’t like John of Holland.” Édouard and Elizabeth were very close and Edward knew that the boy’s testimony was the truth, but it wasn’t as if it mattered, in the end.

“She will still do her duty,” Edward said, kicking back his chair and taking a stack of parchment in his hands. Though a servant could easily do so, he felt much safer in doing it himself, lest any servant be bribed by one of his enemies. Tensions were running high with the French, especially when it came to Gascony, and Edward didn’t want to risk a thing. “As will you, when the Scots send Margaret south for her wedding.”

“Why?” Édouard asked. Edward turned to look at him.

“Why?” he repeated. “Because it is my decision. Because it is the best option for the family, and the safeguard of our blood. When you sit on my seat, you will understand.”

Édouard sighed. “I suppose so,” he said. But his eyes said something else entirely.

Oh wow interesting that edward is making his son and heir serve as his page but i guess it's a good way to both keep the boy humble and keep him close to the seat of power as well

If I remember correctly Edward marred Elizabeth to William Bohn an Anglo Norman nobleman in England

And it would be that family that marred into House of Lannister and where Otl Henry V and Henry Vi got thier looks from

They looked very different from the main line of the House Plantagenet

Edward ii spending more time with Big Ned would do the lad some good it's in childhood that are personalities are truly farmed

By the time week each are teens or early 20s who we will be for the rest of are lives is pretty much set for life

If it comes to a war of treasury medieval Kings tend to be skint due to lavish spending, lifestyle and being born rich they don't really understand money

Philip iV of France is was of the richest Kings in Europe with an income of at least 100,000 per year and Edward only gets 15,000 and big subsidies from Parliament

If he gets support to build Castiles and lead campaigns I do believe his Castile building program in Wales coast over £200,000 and he got the money from Parliament

The issue with Wales Edward is not their to manages his new Territories and the people he lives in charge will be abusing the Welsh

Nicholas machiavelli wrote in the Prince that a sovereign when acquiring new territory should say to rule his new lands to maintain control

Edward got know sons he can give the job to and trust not to mess things up for him

Wales was eva rule directly by the crown or by the Prince of Wales under their direct rule as a means to train the next king of England

Edward ii was Prince of Wales in just name and his grandson Edward of Woodstock ruled his lands in Cornwall, Chester and Wales

As well as briefly prince of aquatane which was a reward from his father having won the Battle of poetier 1356

The principality of aquatane was more of a independent appendage that was separate from the Royal lands

So Edward the black Prince was semi independent in the principality he dead at age 45 years old he had a very sad end plagueis by illness

And humiliated having to be carried around in a litter

The relationship between Prince and heir is very important and as a means to spread the burden of Rule

And throughout the middle ages only Edward I, Edward of Woodstock and Henry V actually wore an asset to their fathers

Thought Henry iV and Henry V had a towards the end of his life

Back to France Philip iV targeted the next Templars, Jews and Flemish merchants because he needed money so he may act soon if he needs the money

And Flemish merchants and the world trade would automatically get Edward involved in the conflict because he depends on taxation from English wool being sold to Flanders

Their is also mercantile lords and merchants that would mean he would have to do something and was a big reason his otl grandson

Started the 100 years war and the fighting began in Flanders and he left his own wife in Gount as a hostage until he could get cash from Parliament

He was over £400,000 in debt in 1340 and that was him trying to bribe German lords to fight with him

Philip iV like Philip Vi can out spend Edward I of England and way his strategy of bribing French Lords and German Lords wont work

That was what the Norman Kings and early Plantagenet Kings could do and it did work but after Richard I of England become king the Franch Crown became a lot richer

And especially incorporating the Dutch of Normandy directly into the French crown lands

As for the Gascony nobility they support English and French crown and keep swapping sides because they want neither the duke or the king of France to high authority within the lands

It's was a big reason the Gascony nobility keep support the English crown

Edward I will be burning through money until he realizes the traditional strategy wont work and need to use his own armies and internal resources

As the king of England to get the job done but to do that he would need the support of the political community of England

His otl grandsons was the master at that with use the English invasion fret, bribery, gifting of noble titles and have tournaments/parties to get his lords on board with the fighting the French

In regards to Henry III, Edward I, Edward II and Edward III they all really looked alike with blonde hair that went white in old age

Only Henry and Edward had a droopy eye and Edward added to that had a lip's as well

As for his son Edward he was 6 ft 2 in tall like his father has blonde locks like his father was basically in parents the double of his father

The only issue was his massive personality floors that made his a very bad king as for otl Edward III he looks like his father but hit as tall I believe it was 6 ft

But his son Lionel Duke of clarins and Edward iV where both 6 ft 4 inches

Very good chapter, I like the slow pace with us seeing the day to day goings of Prince Edouard and King Edward. Hopefully the marriage between Elizabeth and John of Holland goes better than expected. Hope to see more growth of Prince Edouard. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Nice to see the early signs of Edward II's personality. Also, Edward I certainly is calculating. Hopefully Elizabeth and John's marriage goes better than otl.
Very good chapter, I like the slow pace with us seeing the day to day goings of Prince Edouard and King Edward. Hopefully the marriage between Elizabeth and John of Kent goes better than expected. Hope to see more growth of Prince Edouard. Keep up the good work.
It's not the Earl of Kent but the Earl of Holland :)

Nice to see the early signs of Edward II's personality. Also, Edward I certainly is calculating. Hopefully Elizabeth and John's marriage goes better than otl.

It's not the Earl of Kent but the Earl of Holland :)
I think he is coming a cross as a bit too much like Charles Dance portrayal of Tywin lannister and Tywin and the historical king Edward I of England where very different in personality

Edward has a lot of friends who he new as a Prince and went on crusade with but with the 1290s most if the people he new would be dead or dying

Including his brother Edmund crunch and his first cousin Edmund earl of Cornwall

Unlike his otl grandsons Edward I of England did not get depressed and just kept moving forward and performing his duties

And even in his late 60s his mind was sharp and his body was in good condition and he still lead his armies of his Kingdom

And like his grandson know one was willing to face him on the battlefield in a pitch battle

For leading armies is more so that he could not rely on Edward ii and his other lords kept on messing things up

It was dysentery what killed him in the end

Edward I is charismatic and knows how to get along with other and one of only a few kings who truly understand money

I would put Henry I, Henry ii, Edward I and Henry V in that category in the case if the first two Henrys they kept a strong treasury in order to pay for mercenaries

Which were better than peasant levies being professional soldiers

Edward I of England after the loss of the families continental Holdings the Plantagenets where pretty much skint and had to get Parliament to rise taxes

And Richard II, King John sold a lot of the crowns property to pay for wars against Philip II of France, pay for the third crusade and Richard ransom.

Edward first wife had to become a medieval property developer in order to pay for her self and even gave her husband money because the crown is that poor

So if it comes to war with Philip iV Edward will be in massive debts and he would need to go to parliament for money and discuss how he will fight the war

And their is the issue if Edward also be the vasel to king Philip but the plus side is that their is a bread with the French nobility across the channel

So their would not be the divided loyalties that King John got from his own lords

Also Edward like hawking, attending tournaments but after attending one in Paris in 1270 he went of the sport and mock battles

Due to how deadly the event was

He also like reading military books he uses ships to keep his armies supplied in his Welsh and Scottish Wars which was unique for the time period

With having actual supply lines

I do like Edward ii parts it shows he has a spine

Do you wanna write this?
I am just putting my two cents and putting in my historical knowledge in their this his an alternative history writing platform

And it stands to reason that their would be people's/aliens space bats/others with three own viewers, information and points of view

And I would not be commenting on this story if I am not interested where you are going with this and I do hope it may help as well

As for Edward I of England his character has been assassinated buy movies like braveheart, the Scottish national party and just people not knowing their history

Also George RR Martin should not have stated he bases Tywin of king Edward I of England which only further damages his reputation

We get a lot of our culture from movies, TV and books to a lesser extend

As for writing I am a non fiction writer thought I may give it a try in the future but I people I would personally try to write a novel

Edward could be ruthless. I remember he once told a prominent English lord who refused to campaign with him “either you will go or you will hang.” The audiobook I listened to made it sound rather epic

Bigod is the hero of an altercation with King Edward I in 1297, which arose from the king's command that Bigod should serve against the King of France in Gascony, while Edward himself went to Flanders. Bigod asserted that by the feudal tenure of his lands he was only compelled to serve across the seas in the company of the king himself, whereupon Edward said, "By God, Earl, you shall either go or hang," to which Bigod replied, "By the same oath, O king, I will neither go nor hang."[3]
Well atleast no one never accused Bigod of not having balls

Chapter VIII - The New Queen
September 1292. Dover, England.

The sun was high in the sky and the weather was good, neither too dry nor too damp, which indicated good omens for the trials ahead. Edmund took a sip of his water as he looked around himself, waiting for Edward’s arrival.

The Infanta was sitting under a golden canopy with her ladies, fanning herself as her blue eyes moved across the horizon, trying to see everything there was to see. She was dressed in a pink gown, with a white veil covering her head and neck, leaving only her face visible. Over her head, as the recognized child of an European monarch, there was a golden coronet, decorated with rubies. She was beautiful, standing clear even amongst the many women of her household.

“She is pretty,” he heard someone say. “Best hope she gets pregnant.” Edmund grimaced and moved away before he heard the listener’s response, not in the mood to admonish or lecture anyone.

It was a tense day. Even though the King had accepted the wedding, and seemed interested in the Infanta, Edmund knew that nothing was for certain until Edward consummated the marriage. And even then… He thought of the deceased Queen Ingeborg, some decades past, whose husband repudiated her only a day after they were wed.

But Edward wanted more children. He wanted more heirs for his throne and the Infanta Yolande could have them. She was only nine and ten, after all. Young and fertile, and beautiful. Not as well-educated as Eleanor was, but not many women were. Elegant, she could be a good hostess for the court. She could stand next to his brother as he received foreign dignitaries and to raise his children and be a mother to them.

Even if Edward was late. They had been expecting him for days, without word whether they should move on towards London or stay where they were, while his brother was forced to deal with the French ambassador that arrived in his land. Certainly, to try and mend the bonds of friendship after the King of England moved his eyes away from the Capets for a bride.

A rider appeared in the horizon, bearing the King’s standard. Edmund looked at the Infanta and nodded at her, to let her know that his brother was arriving. Just as the one rider came, another appeared, then three more until he saw a tall man riding on a black-furred mare. He had long greying hair, a stern face hidden under a full beard and clever eyes with a golden crown atop his head.

Edmund fell to one knee even before the trumpets rang and his brother stopped in front the camp, a servant coming with a small step for him to use as he dismounted. The King was a man of three and fifty, six years older than him, but his brother had his dignity to him still. He was strong, and healthy.

The man noticed that his nephew rode beside the King on a brown pony, dressed in red velvet with a silver circlet around his head. Édouard was eight and as golden-haired as his father was in his youth, with Eleanor’s eyes and smile. Edmund felt the corners of his mouth quirk up at the sight of his nephew. He hadn’t seen him since he was three, hiding behind the skirts of his wet nurse. Édouard accepted the help of a knight in his father’s service, adjusting his clothing as a herald shouted out, “His Grace, Edward, by the grace of God, King of England, Duke of Aquitaine and Lord of Ireland and his son, Edward, by the grace of God, Prince of Wales and King of Scots.”

Edward stopped before Edmund, who was still kneeling. “Brother,” he said. “Stand up.” Edmund did so and looked at his brother, who smiled as he moved his hand to cup his cheek. Edmund was slightly shorter than his older brother, standing at just six feet tall, though Edward did not need to bend his back to speak to him. “You look well. How is the Dowager Queen treating you?”

He spoke of Blanche, Dowager Queen of Navarre and Edmund’s wife. The King’s brother smiled. “She is treating me well,” he said. “Just recently, we were blessed with a daughter, named after the Holy Virgin.”

“Good, good,” Edward said. His eyes then moved to the infanta under her canopy, and back to Edmund. “Shall we?”

Edmund nodded. “Brother, allow me to present to you, the Infanta Yolande of Aragon,” he said, walking with his brother to the canopy. “Your bride.” The Infanta rose to stand up before quickly falling into a deep curtsy, her skirts flaring as she did so.

Edward approached her, extending a helping hand. “My lady,” he greeted.

Yolande kept her eyes on the ground even as he bid her to rise up and said, “I’m here to serve you, my lord.” Her words were in French, the language of romance and the official language of the English court, with a flawless accent, as if she had learn it alongside her mother tongue of Aragonese.

For a moment, no one spoke and then, Edward smiled. At the sight of that expression on his brother’s face, Edmund knew that all would be well.

Stirling Castle, Scotland.

Elsbeth Comyn was going to get married. Margaret thought there was nothing more exciting in the world, as her friend was the first of her ladies to be married, and she knew that weddings demanded feasts, and presents, and pageantry. Especially since her groom belonged to one of the leading clans of the realm.

His name was Robert and he was a member of the Bruce family, which, not too long ago, had been thought of as possible heirs to the crown. And he was an older brother to one of her companions, Mary. Elsbeth’s father and Robert’s grandfather were enemies, but the Bishop of Glasgow and the Bishop of St Andrews thought the wedding would unite the two families. Create peace in the land and Margaret saw it as the epitome of romance.

Elsbeth was only twelve and Lord Robert was eighteen, but Lady Egidia, Margaret’s governess, said the age difference would seem less as they grew older. And they wouldn’t have to live together until she was over six and ten, which meant she could continue living with Margaret and her friends. At least, until then.

And in the meantime, Elsbeth’s older brother, John, would marry Robert’s sister, Christina. She was fourteen and could already live with her husband, though not share his bed. Margaret had been invited to the wedding, which would be a double ceremony for Robert and Elsbeth and Christina and John. She had been so excited to go that she was counting down the days, already imagining the dresses she’d wear.

She was so excited, in fact, that just two days before they were to set out for Edinburgh for the wedding, Margaret woke up with a high fever, vomiting all the content there was in her stomach. Her skin was pale and she could scarcely keep down anything that they tried to feed her, to the great fear of her attendants.

If the Queen died, what would happen to Scotland? She was a child, just nine. Nowhere close to the age of bearing children for the succession, nowhere near her intended match of Édouard of Caernarfon. If this child of nine died, what would become of their proud land?

Egidia Stewart, the Queen’s governess, quickly decided to stay with Her Grace and to send the other girls for the wedding with their attendants, once it became clear that only the Queen was ill. Thankfully, the royal physician examined his queen and determined that the excitement had taken its toll on her health, sadly. While she’d recover, there was no hope for her to attend the wedding that had caused her illness. Her health needed her to rest, sipping at the nourishing broth that the cooks made for her.

Lady Egidia learned after three days that the Queen was able to eat bread that was dipped into warm broth, softened by the liquid. As the days passed and the governess nursed Her Grace back to health, Margaret became much disheartened to learn of what happened. In fact, she couldn’t stop crying.

“It’s alright, my lady,” said Egidia, rubbing the fine hairs on the Queen’s forehead. “It’s alright, I swear by St Andrew. There will be other weddings.”

Margaret rubbed a hand over her feverish eyes, tears sliding down her flushed cheeks. “I want to go,” she moaned, breath soured by her vomit. Egidia cleaned the edge of her mouth with a cold rag, sighing at the poor child.

“I know, my lady,” said the governess. “I’m so sorry that your health had to take priority.” Egidia took a breath and rubbed her head. “It’s alright, I swear. We will have great things to look forward to.” Margaret looked at her in disbelief and Egidia tried to smile a sweet and reassuring smile. “Until then, why don’t I tell you stories?”

“Stories?” the Queen asked.

Egidia nodded. “Yes, I shall tell you of your sainted namesake, Margaret of Wessex,” she began. “She was a great queen, who reformed the church and advised her children to be pious in all that they did. But you will be better than here, I swear it.”

“Tell me about her,” said the little girl and Egidia smiled.

“Queen Margaret was born in a faraway kingdom, daughter of an exiled prince and his lady wife…”

January 1293. Westminster Palace, England.

Édouard liked his uncle. He came bearing gifts and a new bride for his father, a woman that now sat high in the great hall, laughing as she observed the court’s fool juggle a set of balls. The Prince and his sisters were present too at the feast to celebrate a new peace treaty with France, which would last for at least ten years, and he observed the Queen. Or the King’s wife.

She hadn’t been crowned yet because there was no money, which meant he couldn’t exactly call her queen, but everyone did and she wore a golden coronet over the white veil covering all of her hair. When Édouard asked, his father said she had brown hair, but Édouard didn’t really know how his father knew that. Maybe, and just maybe, the Queen allowed him to see it, though Édouard doubted it. Women kept themselves covered to serve the Lord and his sister Elizabeth had just started wearing thicker veils as well, hiding her red hair from all.

“Do you like our new mother?” Édouard asked, turning to his sister. Elizabeth made a face.

“She is not our new mother,” she answered with a twist to her mouth. “Our mother is our only mother.”

“That is not what my guardian said,” Édouard complained.

“It’s what Eleanor said,” Elizabeth answered, talking about their older sister who had left for Aragon the past October. “Before she left. She said we could never love the Queen as we loved our lady mother.”

“Father said Eleanor is too proud for her own good,” Édouard responded.

“No, he didn’t,” Elizabeth said. “Father loves us.”

“He does, but I heard him,” the Prince said. “Last night. He was speaking to our uncle.” The Earl of Leicester remained in England, though his sons and wife were in France, with Queen Jeanne. “He says Eleanor and Joan can do no good but obey, which even then, they do rarely.” As he spoke, Édouard looked at his sister Joan, who was dancing with their uncle. Joan had just had a baby, another Eleanor, though Édouard had yet to meet his baby niece.

“Father says many things,” Elizabeth responded. “He says we marry whom he chooses, but he was allowed to bring that woman here and sit her on our mother’s seat.” She was still upset about her planned wedding to John of Holland, then. Édouard took her hand sympathetically and his sister looked at him with dark eyes. “You’re luckier than most. You’re going to marry a queen.”

“I don’t think I will,” said Édouard. “Father said she was supposed to come here as soon as she landed on the island, but it’s been two years.”

Elizabeth shrugged. “You’d be surprised,” she said with the wisdom of a girl well beyond her years. “The Scottish don’t want to upset Father, not after what he did with the Welsh. Sooner or later, the Maid will come here and you are going to marry her.”