Interesting AH ideas that aren't commonly used

australia-map.gif

I'll go one better. Teddy Roosevelt helps them.

Yes, oviously :). But I asked myself, if this could happen on the Pacific Coast of North America before the Expansion to the West.

McPherson

Banned
Yes, oviously :). But I asked myself, if this could happen on the Pacific Coast of North America before the Expansion to the West.

Maybe in a 'Russian' California. Could spread as far as a Yukon, Columbia, Alaska confederation. Interesting idea.

McPherson

Banned
What if this utterly reprehensible human being had not been placed in the prime position of responsibility he occupied? One of FDR's really serious mistakes in human character judgment.

0f75fa3c-6c5c-4a55-a580-7152e889cc08.jpg

Breckinridge Long (1881–1958)
Breckinridge Long (1881–1958). Long was an Assistant Secretary in the US State Department during World War II, from 1940-1944. Between 1939 and 1942, Breckinridge Long implemented new State Department policies which prioritized US national security over humanitarian concerns. Photograph taken in Washington, DC, United States, August 1943.
  • National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, MD

WWI with an alternate beginning. Europe was generally seen as a powder keg waiting to go off, but if the Archduke survives the attempts on his life(like he would have if the driver was given the right directions) where might it start instead and what consequences would this have?
Europe stumbles along for a while longer?

WI Gene Autry had been signed by somebody else?

OTL, he was turned down by two labels...

(Yeah, I'm not seeing a huge change...)

Driftless

Donor
WI Gene Autry had been signed by somebody else?

OTL, he was turned down by two labels...

(Yeah, I'm not seeing a huge change...)

Maybe he doesn't meet Smiley Burnett?(I didn't realize how long those two worked together) Does "Silver Haired Daddy" get recorded?

Improved Telephone communication allows for better conversations following the Arch Dukes assassination in 1914 and WW1 is still born before the 'chocks' were removed.

A century of peace follows...…..

Kaiser-King Franz Joseph dies from a heart attack after hearing of Franz Ferdinands death.
Austria-Hungary is to busy to reorganise itself to start a world war.

Alternate Popes.

We never have alternate Popes.

Or any Pope PODs for that matter.

It is like the popes are somehow sacrosanct in AH.

We could be going:

WI: Benedict XVI did not resign?

WI: John Paul II. had died from assassination in 1981?

AHC: Anti-Pope in the 20th century

DBWI: Pope John XX never existed in the first place

WI: The Pope really smoked dope ( in public)

Pope Francis. C'mon man, just look at him.

Granted the sedevancists consider every pope since the mid 19th century to be an antipope,so by their standards that POD would apply.

Castille-Portugal union instead of Castille-Aragon. Quite easy considering it almost happened OTL. It would probably result in a Spain more focused on colonial ventures than continental politics.

Starforce

Banned
Alternate colonization, what if Britain had colonized the places Spain colonized in our world, and Spain colonized Canada and the 13 colonies?

Alternate colonization, what if Britain had colonized the places Spain colonized in our world, and Spain colonized Canada and the 13 colonies?

Or maybe have France and the Netherlands maintain a greater hold on on the Americas? Dutch Mexico could be interesting

Starforce

Banned
Or maybe have France and the Netherlands maintain a greater hold on on the Americas? Dutch Mexico could be interesting

I made a map that is a bit of a stretch that involves this, may not be entirely realistic, which it isn't but I have a French Mexico here. Ignore the other landmasses. There are also things like a Russo-British Union, Dutch Brazil, Argentina is split between Welsh, Dutch, British, Italian and French speaking areas. We have a British Peru. Polish West Africa, Swedish central Africa. French Speaking Australia, Spanish Tasmania, Danish West Australia, Portuguese Australia, and British Indonesia with Northern Australia in its borders. India is also split between these powers.

PA7Pm2z.png

Some ideas:

- No Boer War, and South African Republic (Transvaal) and Orange Free State remain independent and Cape and Natal remained separated colonies. It would be interesting to watch their developments and interactions till today (a non-assimilated British majority population in Johannesburg, development of Cape and Natal into Dominions, what kind of apartheid would emerge on the Afrikaner republics, etc.)

- Scramble for Africa with additional players: Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Austria-Hungary, Russia.

- Dutch and Swedish settlements in North America prosper with a growing population, leaving New England and South to the English. It would be challenging to make them grow inwards due geographic constraints. The Dutch would be up Hudson, the Swedish up Delaware. Then they would have to leapfrog at some point, for instance, Swedish wouldn't control the Susquehanna mouth, for instance.

- No territorial losses for Germany and Austria-Hungary by the end of WWI, potentially butterflying WWII away.

- All European concessions in China are kept indefinitely. Lots of Hong Kongs.

- China, like Japan, remains an empire.

- An Imperial Federation limited to the Dominions only, without intending to include India, which is a dead end for most TLs. Just a Greater Britain, an expanded United Kingdom with devolved parliaments.

- Urban TL in general: preventing the Rust Belt to decline, which would greatly change the size of those metropolitan areas today; avoiding shifts, such as Rio de Janeiro vs São Paulo; Montreal vs Toronto, etc.