Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Who were the combatants in this war?
In Europe it was the Soviets against every major European country. In Asia it was the Japs against the Kuomintang, Germany and the colonial European powers.

America was neutral.

I'm not sure if there was an alliance between Russia and Japan or if they were just co-belligerents. I don't think it was mentioned.

I am wondering as a Dutchman myself, how is the Netherlands doing in this timeline. I think given its position, that Rotterdam is still the biggest Harbour in the Netherlands/World, but would look outwards to the rest of the world or would or focus be inward towards Germany. Also would the Dutch Princes/future Queen Juliana been married to somewhat more important german noble than in OTL?

Part 91, Chapter 1428
Chapter One Thousand Four Hundred Twenty-Eight

28th January 1961

Mitte, Berlin

There was a great deal of profound irony of having John Elis approach Zella about Kiki regarding the music that she had played in the club almost a year earlier. A year ago, Kiki had come in during an open mic night at the club and had been given a somewhat muted reception. Over the last year styles and tastes in music had shifted somewhat, many would argue that it was a return to basics. This change was a complete surprise and he asked Zella if she could talk to her friend. Somehow, Kiki of all people had been way ahead of everyone else and now they were trying to catch up.

“There’s now a demand for an act like that” John had said, “Folk music of all things is big in New York right now, some sort of Beatnik bullshit and I’m in this business to make a living here.”

That was a week ago and once Kiki agreed to come into the club on a day off, things had come together with surprising speed. Kiki was a classically trained musician along with Sarah Schmidt so playing with the V8 Club’s house band was relatively easy for her once they had agreed on the music that they were going to play. When Saturday night rolled around Zella was certainly surprised at the reception that Kiki received. These people had no idea who she was. To them she was just a pretty girl fronting a band. She was back in the artistic look, the one that Zella had noticed a year earlier. This time, Kiki was wearing a red velvet dress with white linen beneath that looked like it had come straight from the Baroque Period. Considering the resources for old clothes that Kiki had, it was extremely likely that the dress was authentic and had been dug from a chest somewhere in the Hohenzollern Palace.

Zella wondered what the original woman who had worn that dress would make of her descendant wearing it in this context. That was when the thought occurred to her that she would probably approve of what Kiki was doing with her life, even as she envied her relative freedom. How many times had Kiki reminded Zella of what life was like for their ancestors? Smallpox, arranged marriages, complete lack of sanitation, Theocracy and constant war because of that. Certainly not coming up roses, that was for certain.

Besides being here to support her friend, Zella had other business here tonight. Werther Meindl, a Mechanical Engineer by trade with BMW Motorrad and had worked in Stuttgart until he had come to Berlin to work on the von Holz Racing Team. For Zella’s purposes, he was stupid enough to think that he could get away with sleeping with the daughter of his boss though she had done nothing to lead him on. That was why Zella had accepted his invitation to come here tonight. She already knew that it was going to end in frustration in that regard, but before that happened Zella would have an opportunity to sell him on her designs. If that didn’t work, then his presence here alone would be more than enough for her to have him by the balls and she was perfectly prepared to squeeze them until he squeaked.

“I’ll have one of whatever she’s having” Werther said to John, who glanced Zella’s way. She nodded and John added a liberal amount of vodka to the soda with a twist where Zella’s drinks rarely contained alcohol.

Zella wanted Werther’s judgement impaired but not enough for him to set his judgement aside entirely. If Zella gave John a second signal, then Werther would be slipped a Micky. Later he would wake up naked in a different sort of establishment a couple blocks from here that didn’t advertise its presence and specialized in the sort of activities that few people would admit to partaking in. John found it funny that if you really want to get rid of people, putting them in a situation where people would forever think that they were a submissive who was into whips and chains happened to be extremely effective. It helps to have friends in extremely low places was how John put it. He was more than happy to help Zella with a caper, but only so long as it didn’t draw the wrong sort of official attention and no one got badly hurt. A man thinking with wrong part of his anatomy was asking to have a girl like Zella swindle him even if she just intended to steal his time as opposed to his money.

“The girl with the violin is a friend of yours?” Werther asked.

“Yeah” Zella replied, not bothering to correct him about what instrument Kiki was playing “All the way back to when we were in school.”

“You’re still in school, aren’t you?” Werther asked.

Someone like Werther would be too dense to see the difference between University and the Gymnasia, otherwise he would be aware of the steel jaws that were already closed around his neck. They sat at the bar in silence for a few minutes before Werther spoke up again.

“Your father said that you were a big on the music scene here in Berlin” Werther said, “I figured that you would be able to let me know who’s who and what the happening acts are.”

That actually sounded fairly reasonable to Zella, but she knew from experience to see past people’s pretense.

That was when Arnold, one of heavies who worked as a bouncer on the busier nights at the V8 Club walked past the bar. In spite of appearances, he was also openly gay. No one dared to take issue with that because Arnold could pop someone’s head like a pimple if they bothered him. Werther gave him a subtle toast and Arnold gave him a slight nod. Only Zella witnessed the exchange and instantly understood the implications.

“I think I’m going to enjoy working in Berlin” Werther said as Zella cursed inwardly. John Elis was going to laugh his head off when Zella explained this to him later. Werther was a friend of Old Fritz and she would need to come up with a different plan.

Not rile anybody's feathers but while Kiki is probably in the safest place in all the Empire where Kat is not at but...still Dillinger.

The fallout over "Harriman's Betrayal" is not being felt yet, the United States has just lost prestige that it did not have a lot to begin with.
The main problems will not show up until spring when the weather warms up, that is when we will see how things play out.
I can see the South taking the leash off Law Enforcement and openly aligning with the KKK in terrorizing the African-American population with a generous helping of Anti-Semitism on the side and maybe some Anti-Catholicism for dessert.
Maybe there is some hope but I don't see it because for years since the Atlanta Massacre the United States has been sitting on a powder keg and while the fuse has been lit several times it has been put out in time only to have even more explosives added to the existing pile.

By the way did LBJ win the Texas Governorship? Because if he did this might lead to Texas showing the United States a way out of this mess.

Chapter One Thousand Four Hundred Twenty-Eight

28th January 1961

Mitte, Berlin

...and she would need to come up with a different plan.

This plan is simple, don't get him drunk, and ask him to look at her designs.
Now she knows, she can relax around him too which should make things far easier as well.

The fallout over "Harriman's Betrayal" is not being felt yet, the United States has just lost prestige that it did not have a lot to begin with.
The main problems will not show up until spring when the weather warms up, that is when we will see how things play out.
I can see the South taking the leash off Law Enforcement and openly aligning with the KKK in terrorizing the African-American population with a generous helping of Anti-Semitism on the side and maybe some Anti-Catholicism for dessert.
Maybe there is some hope but I don't see it because for years since the Atlanta Massacre the United States has been sitting on a powder keg and while the fuse has been lit several times it has been put out in time only to have even more explosives added to the existing pile.

The original post was a bit ambiguous, but it mentioned the South overplaying it's hand and uniting the rest of the country against it. This implied to me that they lost power and influence.

The original post was a bit ambiguous, but it mentioned the South overplaying it's hand and uniting the rest of the country against it. This implied to me that they lost power and influence.
Yes, they may have "lost" on the national level, but on the local/country/town level, the Die-hards will not admit they have lost and just up the level of violence, thinking that it will "solve" the problem.

Can someone link me to the treaty(s) terms and conditions that ended the ITTL conflicts?

EDIT: Amended comment

Last edited:
Harriman is in a big hole that he can not see up out of it and that may lead him to make a major foreign policy blunder.
He is going to seek a "Low Risk, High Reward" situation in order to rally the American people around the flag but it is going to backfire big time.
The most logical choice is going to be Cuba with its Langist government.
The pretext that Harriman may use is a land reform initiative that takes properties from American corporations at less than market prices and another pretext could be a "perceived threat" to the United States Naval Base at Gitmo.
I have gathered from previous updates that for the most part the American people have supported the Cuban government in its reforms and is against any intervention in Cuba.

If Zella gave John a second signal, then Werther would be slipped a Micky. Later he would wake up naked in a different sort of establishment a couple blocks from here that didn’t advertise its presence and specialized in the sort of activities that few people would admit to partaking in.
Seriously wtf is wrong with Zella.
Thats blackmail, kidnapping and sexual assault.

There was a show called Orphan Black a few years ago. I recall a discussion that related to the various crimes committed by the Leda sisters, the list was staggering yet they were heroines of the series. Zella is not particularly ethical and quite ruthless in getting her way. What is ironic though is that it is a trait that she shares with her father and no one has ever said anything about the behavior of Emil Holz which included a lot of legally questionable actions and illegal actions up to Crimes Against Humanity.

There was a show called Orphan Black a few years ago. I recall a discussion that related to the various crimes committed by the Leda sisters, the list was staggering yet they were heroines of the series. Zella is not particularly ethical and quite ruthless in getting her way. What is ironic though is that it is a trait that she shares with her father and no one has ever said anything about the behavior of Emil Holz which included a lot of legally questionable actions and illegal actions up to Crimes Against Humanity.

Never seen Orphan Black so I can't comment on it.

Not sure what you mean with Emil, mostly because your story is over 1400 posts, so maybe I can't remember it.

But if you mean the night of whispers, i don't think that's the same.
edit: Because different principles apply for actions between states to actions between individuals.

Last edited:

Slight point to note: Zella wants them gone. What happens after that is in the hands of John Dillenger.
Kidnapping: yes
Blackmail: only if something is demanded I suspect.
Sexual Assault: yes, the stripping naked of the victim would qualify for that, any form of sexual penetration becomes rape.

If it could be proven, beyond the writer's narration, that Zella knew, or worse, the treatment has been instigated in detail by Zella then it could get legally very nasty for her.
Otherwise she has plausible deniability.

A good rule of thumb for this timeline is because of the use of unreliable narrators, take everything coming from a characters' POV with a grain of salt.

Part 91, Chapter 1429
Chapter One Thousand Four Hundred Twenty-Nine

30th January 1961

Mitte, Berlin

Emil frowned as he looked at the drawings that Werther Meindl had just shown him. He recognized the work because he knew the style of the artist better than anyone. Maria had warned him that Zella was going to find a way around his back, and this was obviously it. She had approached Werther with these drawings the previous Friday night. There were solutions that they had for some of the problems that the design team had encountered over the previous months that were interesting.

They had only just gotten an engine on the test stand and were working out the kinks with the fuel injection system. The turbocharging system and the intercooler had required more cooling than they had anticipated. It was in keeping with something else that they had discovered, unlike previous BMW engines air-cooling alone wasn’t going to work. They were going with oil cooling for the cylinder-heads after the temperature had gotten dangerously high during initial tests. The actual design work on the motorcycle itself had barely been started yet and Zella showing them a way forward would be a welcome development for Werther while Emil had the exact opposite reaction.

“She didn’t promise you anything, or do anything to you?” Emil asked, “I know how Zella can get when she decides to do something.”

He knew that his daughter would stop at nothing to get to whatever her personal goals were. If Zella were a man, that aspect of her would probably be applauded, instead her actions tended to disturb those who could see the big picture and how she fit in within it.

“She is a lovely girl who just spent the weekend showing me the interesting aspects of this city, nothing more” Werther said, “The subject of my work came up and she had these drawings with her. While we will still need to make use of the wind tunnel in Stuttgart, her ideas look good. Her idea for internal ductwork to facilitate engine cooling is practical, it is very similar to what has been done in airplanes for years.”

“No extortion or anything else strange that I need to worry about?” Emil asked.

Werther just laughed at that.

“No, just watching a band play at a local night club on Friday and meeting her for lunch on Saturday” Werther said, “It was at lunch where she showed me these drawings.”

Emil was greatly relieved. Frequently there were times when watching Zella’s behavior was like seeing a heavily loaded train barreling down a grade towards a bend where you knew it was going to jump the tracks. Perhaps she was finally showing a bit of maturity.

“On Saturday she had her friend with her” Werther said, “A girl named Kiki, a musician, extremely talented. Do you know her?”

Emil felt a knot in his stomach at the mention of “Kiki” who Emil knew was Princess Kristina von Preussen. Years earlier, it had been Maria’s hope that Zella’s friendship with Kiki would elevate her conduct. It seemed to Emil that what had really happened was that Zella had found herself a willing partner in crime with a nearly limitless supply of money and influence.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“There is more to it than just the color” Zella said looking at one of the cars that Kiki was considering buying.

“I know” Kiki said, “That is why I asked for your help.”

With her errands for General von Lettow-Vorbeck taking her all over Berlin as well as out to Kiel, Bremen and Wunsdorf. Kiki had decided that she needed the flexibility of having her own car. The alternative as she was learning was living on a series of trains during the week. The trouble was that while Kiki knew how drive, she knew absolutely nothing about which one she wanted beyond thinking that it would be fun to have it be red and the little sports car that VW made had certainly caught her imagination.

When they had walked into the Volkswagen showroom it had taken Zella three questions to shut down the Salesman who had assumed that they would be an easy mark. That was exactly why Kiki had asked for her help in this matter, she knew that she would have been hopelessly snowed by that man and would have eventually walked away rather than be buffaloed into buying something she didn’t want.

“You should have just called Wolfsburg” Zella said, “Mention your name once and they would have hand built a car for you like they did for the Gräfin.”

“Who did you say you were Fraulein?” The Salesman asked.

“I didn’t” Kiki replied. She really didn’t want to get into how this man would react if she told him that.

“It’s basically just a Type 2 underneath the body?” Zella asked the Salesman. “Like a Kombi?” Mercifully changing the subject to one that obviously the Salesman found distressing.

“There is lot more to it than that” The Salesman said, “The 1961 Karmann Ghia has a very different engine, transmission and suspension. This particular car even has the performance package that was designed by Porsche and has a top speed of a hundred and eighty kilometers per hour.”

Zella seemed completely unimpressed by any of that. “If you could leave me and my friend to discuss this” She said.

The Salesman went elsewhere in the showroom and at Zella’s urging Kiki sat down in the driver’s seat.

“I think that this car is a going to be a lot of fun” Zella said from the passenger seat with a smile. That caused Kiki to give her a bewildered look.

“But I thought…” Kiki started to say.

Zella just shook her head. This was yet another example of how the world worked that Kiki realized she didn’t understand, but Zella did and was playing it for an advantage.

Last edited: