PC: Progressive rock remains popular longer?

As the tin says. Prog as a sub-genre saw its heyday in the early to mid 1970s, arising from a melding of psychedelic sensibilities with classical music stylings and the DIY, self-written nature of rock music. While some argue that punk rock helped to knock progressive rock off of its pedestal later in the decade, it can also be partly argued that its tendency towards long-form songs didn't help (you can't really put 10+ minute epics on 45s, after all). Its bands tended to be seen as rather too snobbish as well, with acts like Emerson, Lake and Palmer in particular getting the critics' ire.

So what could make it likelier that prog remains a popular and not a niche genre for longer?

Get more hits for neo-prog bands like Marillion in the 80s, and have Spock's Beard similarly get more attention in the 90s. Both incorporated traits of other popular genres into their sound.

Post-90s is more challenging. I guess Coheed and Cambria was/is popular enough but IMO they seem more detached from prog rock stylistically than Spock's Beard or Marillion. But there is other heavier prog bands (Porcupine Tree) or the atmospheric rock sound (Anathema, Katatonia) which could have an easy route to mainstream popularity. It's worth noting that post-rock was rather popular despite having many of the same tendencies as prog rock.

It is only a generalization, but pop music is driven by the youth . Each generation will tend to prefer something that is not popular with a previous generation. Also, the new and less popular music is attractive to the thin leading edge of taste. The bands of the sixties and seventies become too popular and expensive to see. Prog rock was also expensive to stage. Had it remand smaller and less dependent on the big stage show, it could still be popular today. That's not to say it has died out. King Crimson is currently on a world tour.

An issue that needs to dealt with (and it's one that is occasionally referred to as being a driving factor in the demise of prog rock), is song length. By the mid 70s, many prog bands were going overboard with songs that in some cases took up the entire side of an album, or even longer (I'm talking about you Yes - "Tales of a Topographic Ocean", with 4 songs for a double album, come on!). I'm a musician (I played symphonic music through my sophomore year of college, and I still play guitar in bands [though mainly in a church band nowadays]), and I even got bored with that. The average listener got worse than bored. Even Jethro Tull's "Thick As a Brick" album was basically one whole song for the entire album. The only thing that saved that album, was that there were song movements, that broke up the monotony, and made it possible for the "Thick As a Brick" movement to be released in and of itself as a song of sorts, that garnered a fair amount of radio airplay.

This was wasn't the case with most long prog songs, and shortening the songs by editing to make them more radio friendly didn't work. When it was done (Yes' "Roundabout" for instance), it basically ruined the song listening-wise. So, cut back on the quantity of jam band length songs, and maybe prog has more of a chance of maintaining its visibility. Ditto for the "Lord Of The Rings"/fantasy fiction vibe so many prog albums had in the 70s (it got old listening to songs alluding to "days of the long lost magical golden age"). Scale back on these two elements, and maybe prog has a better chance of avoiding becoming just another underground music genre - one that punk, and metal musicians still occasionally deride as being bloated, overly self-indulgent, and pretentious sounding.

Last edited:

hammo1j

Donor
Hmmm, maybe prog buyers watched Spinal Tap and became aware of the pretentiousness...

Agree with what's been said, one thing that's not been covered is the drugs element. To fully appreciate the musicianship you needed to spliff up or drop some acid. Maybe 'Operation Julie' cut off the supply of LSD necessary to drench yourself into a 20 minute track.

ELP and Yes are the two keys I think. Have them have more success and longer maybe it goes in to the 80's only thing MTV won't play a twelve minute music vidoe
t

I dont think the fantasy lyrics were the issue actually. Plenty of metal bands from the 70s on up used (and still do use) lots of "mystical" imagery (ie, Black Sabbath). It was more the length of the songs. If they could somehow write shorter songs that still were able to put what they were trying to say musically and lyrically into the song, it may have somewhat lasted longer.

They say prog rock died with punk in the mid 70s, but Kansas had several hits in that time period (you can hear "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind" to this day, although Kansas's best prog moments came on their earlier albums), and of course Rush shifted from a Led Zeppelin-inspired hard rock band to doing their own thing with albums like 2112. Outside of the Anglosphere you can find plenty of notable prog music in the mid-late 70s like Krautrock in West Germany (or bands like Eloy who had a more Pink Floyd-inspired sound) or French bands like Ange. And in addition to Kansas, the US had bands like Starcastle (obvious Yes ripoff, but solid enough).

The trick is getting the attention to the right songs, since there's some very catchy songs from bands I've mentioned here which could easily attract mainstream attention.

Another thing I've noticed is how post-80s neo-prog seems to have had a lot of crossover with progressive metal (Dream Theater's biggest inspiration was Rush, to the point where the singer on their first album was a Geddy Lee clone). Arena, probably the most notable neo-prog band of the 90s, did very prog metal-inspired albums by the early 00s (incidentally, keyboardist Clive Nolan--also with Pendragon, another notable neo-prog band who did heavier works in the 00s, has done work with Dragonforce). 80s neo-prog seems simple to make popular--not just Marillion, but other bands too. Dream Theater gained mainstream attention with "Pull Me Under", and there's plenty of material on the same album and the subsequent Awake and Falling Into Infinity. Most Dream Theater albums have songs which could have mainsteam appeal, and rock radio would play all sorts of nu metal/post-grunge. This is where you blend into other prog metal like Fates Warning, who released rather pop-sounding albums like Parallels and Inside Out in the 90s (although there's songs from their 80s albums like Awaken the Guardian which could have been rock hits but they're just straight up metal and are a different topic) which have obvious mainstream appeal. Or songs like Dream Theater's "Constant Motion", which seems like a Metallica knockoff yet was popular at the time (metalcore band Trivium did plenty of Metallica knockoffs). Or at the other end of the spectrum, Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames", since Dream Theater also inspired endless progressive power metal bands (i.e. Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, etc.)--that's another topic.

Prog rock will always be fringe, but it can also always stay on the fringe of popularity (i.e rock radio). I mentioned Spock's Beard--prog fans tend to like their debut The Light, but for mainstream appeal (The Light has elements you can shorten to singles, but overall it isn't something non-prog fans might like), the subsequent albums Beware of Darkness or The Kindness of Strangers or Day for Night could capture the same appeal classic 70s albums had. There's a diversity of influence on those albums (notably the Beatles), so it's as "updated" of prog as Marillion was in their day. Spock's Beard could have been much more popular IMO.

Then we get to 00s prog again, where again, I'll cite Coheed and Cambria (their progressive moments and not their alt-rock/pop-punk moments, most notably the Afterman albums in recent years), Porcupine Tree (who also fused with prog metal in the 00s as many neo-prog bands did, although a lot of their 90s work could have been rock radio hits), or the atmospheric rock sound exemplified by Katatonia or Anathema. In the mid/late 00s, bands like Disturbed, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, etc. were popular on rock radio. While I don't like to compare something like Viva Emptiness or We're Here Because We're Here to mainstream rock radio hits, there is obvious crossover appeal. As for the 10s, where mainstream rock seems to be dead, I think Katatonia, Anathema, and Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree's solo work could power rock radio that decade, in addition to Coheed and Cambria, and other related bands.

An issue that needs to dealt with (and it's one that is occasionally referred to as being a driving factor in the demise of prog rock), is song length. By the mid 70s, many prog bands were going overboard with songs that in some cases took up the entire side of an album, or even longer (I'm talking about you Yes - "Tales of a Topographic Ocean", with 4 songs for a double album, come on!). I'm a musician (I played symphonic music through my sophomore year of college, and I still play guitar in bands [though mainly in a church band nowadays]), and I even got bored with that. The average listener got worse than bored. Even Jethro Tull's "Thick As a Brick" album was basically one whole song for the entire album. The only thing that saved that album, was that there were song movements, that broke up the monotony, and made it possible for the "Thick As a Brick" movement to be released in and of itself as a song of sorts, that garnered a fair amount of radio airplay.

Thick as a Brick was a parody of prog rock, yet a strangely effective one since it's probably the best Tull album. Tales from Topographic Oceans is excess even for me as prog fan, but there's a lot of redeeming factors there--it's an album before it's time IMO. It's the prototype for something like The Flower Kings, although ironically guitarist Roine Stolt of that group (and Kaipa, Swedish prog masters), recorded an album with Jon Anderson a few years ago (Invention of Knowledge) which sounded like a lost Yes album (as opposed to everything Yes has done since the 80s barring Fly From Here). Roine Stolt tends toward insane excess (hence why Flower Kings will never be mainstream, even if they do have a few catchy songs 90s rock radio might like), but he's a fantastic guitarist, and I did convince my father--a Yes fan in their classic era before I was born--that he was listening to a lost Yes album with Anderson/Stolt's Invention of Knowledge.

This was wasn't the case with most long prog songs, and shortening the songs by editing to make them more radio friendly didn't work. When it was done (Yes' "Roundabout" for instance), it basically ruined the song listening-wise. So, cut back on the quantity of jam band length songs, and maybe prog has more of a chance of maintaining its visibility. Ditto for the "Lord Of The Rings"/fantasy fiction vibe so many prog albums had in the 70s (it got old listening to songs alluding to "days of the long lost magical golden age"). Scale back on these two elements, and maybe prog has a better chance of avoiding becoming just another underground music genre - one that punk, and metal musicians still occasionally deride as being bloated, overly self-indulgent, and pretentious sounding.
I disagree. Take Yes's Going for the One from 1977. The title track, "Parallels", and ballad "Wonderous Stories" are all easily able to be singles with minimal editing, while appealing to both prog fans and general rock fans. 1980's Drama has Buggles members replacing Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, yet has songs which could easily be hits despite being obvious prog rock songs.
Hmmm, maybe prog buyers watched Spinal Tap and became aware of the pretentiousness...

Agree with what's been said, one thing that's not been covered is the drugs element. To fully appreciate the musicianship you needed to spliff up or drop some acid. Maybe 'Operation Julie' cut off the supply of LSD necessary to drench yourself into a 20 minute track.
Nah, I was hypnotised the first time I heard "Close to the Edge" and "2112" in high school. Before then I liked Dream Theater's prog stuff (I didn't even know "Octavarium" was quoting Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" back then). No drugs needed.

I dont think the fantasy lyrics were the issue actually. Plenty of metal bands from the 70s on up used (and still do use) lots of "mystical" imagery (ie, Black Sabbath). It was more the length of the songs. If they could somehow write shorter songs that still were able to put what they were trying to say musically and lyrically into the song, it may have somewhat lasted longer.
Very true. I could see any NWOBHM band from Iron Maiden to a more obscure group like Cloven Hoof doing a cover of Genesis - "The Knife" (from Trespass, it's got some straight up proto-metal riffs, blazing organs inspired by Keith Emerson which wouldn't sound out of place in Deep Purple), but in a concise form (power metal band Dark Empire did a cover of this song, speeding it up, and omitting the flute/key solo, and I can imagine a version like this becoming a hit early 80s metal single), and that being a defining version of the song.

Progressive rock and early metal drew much influence from the same 60s psychedelic rock style, and Deep Purple and first three Rainbow albums is the best example of crossover (aside from perhaps Sabbath Bloody Sabbath which Rick Wakeman played keys on). The last Ozzy Osbourne Sabbath album, Never Say Die, had a lot of that Deep Purple/proggy style (it's utterly inferior to Dio Sabbath, yes, but that's another matter).

What about King Crimson not breaking up in 1974? They were getting into a particularly visceral, spiky variant of Prog in their last couple of albums.. I wonder if they would have doubled-down on it with the album after Red.

Last edited:
What about King Crimson not breaking up in 1974? They were getting into a particularly visceral, spiky variant of Prog in their last couple of albums.. I wonder if they would have doubled-down on it with the album after Red.

It's more accessible than other parts King Crimson's 70s output after their classic debut (something like Larks' Tongues in Aspic, to name a famous album from that period, is just straight up weird compared to other prog albums from the same period) but there's a world of difference from Red to, say, Yes's Going for the One (compare to Relayer, say) which is the sort of mid-late 70s prog which could still have some appeal. Of course, 80s King Crimson updated their sound perfectly as Discipline shows.

Which does make me wonder what would happen if in the early 80s, instead of continuing in the pop direction, Genesis ended up returning to a more progressive sound but instead closer to Marillion or other neo-prog (who obviously had a huge influence from Genesis)--Steve Hackett and/or Anthony Phillips optional although both did plenty of interesting albums from the late 70s onwards. They already were gaining a mainstream fanbase, and the neo-prog sound was already developing, so it could be huge. Maybe compare it to how Judas Priest in the 80s changed their sound from their classic 70s works to the point where it sounded like the later NWOBHM bands (I've always compared some of their songs to Iron Maiden). Basically, following Steve Hackett's departure and a few "pop" albums (which gain them some success), Genesis partially returns to their roots, but "updates" it for that era which ends up resulting in not only Marillion, but other neo-prog like IQ, Pendragon, etc. becoming far more popular than OTL. This could help 80s Rush become even more popular, and maybe even give 80s Eloy a major hit or two (it's basically mid-80s Rush meets 70s Pink Floyd, so why not?). Ideally, you could even have 80s Yes join this sound, although my ideal vision for Yes would be somehow having Roine Stolt of Kaipa and later Flower Kings join Yes and record something like Invention of Knowledge decades earlier than OTL. Maybe other Yes members could help him make something more accessible to a general audience, while keeping classic prog epics on the same release (as with Going for the One).

After the 80s, maybe Genesis or another 70s/80s band could update their sound again. IOTL, Nick D'Virgilio of Spock's Beard played on Calling All Stations, Genesis's OTL attempt at that. Now let's imagine if Genesis wanted to update their sound and went for something like Spock's Beard's early albums (maybe like Day For Night, the most mainstream-sounding), with some catchy radio-friendly stuff while keeping lengthy epics. Which then you end up with a softer sort of prog rock, but also a more mainstream prog metal/heavier prog rock which will be performed by Dream Theater (see "Pull Me Under", etc.), Fates Warning (aside from maybe A Pleasant Shade of Gray--which was deliberately complex compared to their previous works--all of their albums until 2013's Darkness in a Different Light have potential cuts which could have mainstream appeal), Queensryche (although you'd need to keep them actually playing prog-inspired stuff like Mindcrime or even Empire and not shitty grunge), or maybe Savatage (Streets onwards has the same sort of cheesy rock opera sound and they did have some minor hits at times--they later inspired Trans-Siberian Orchestra so there was obviously some real potential there). The softer sort of prog is represented by Coheed and Cambria, Katatonia, Anathema, maybe Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (could crossover into the heavier side). This fades into 2000s alternative rock like Muse and Radiohead. Other "crossover" sorts would be later neo-prog bands which usually have had a lot of prog metal influence. Legacy prog bands, like Rush or Kansas (Somewhere to Elsewhere--IMO Kansas seems like the most "American" you can make prog rock with something like Song for America, where hecklers made fun of them for looking like country musicians) could be involved in this movement. Or a bit less likely bands like Amorphis, who after their initial death metal phase by the late 90s settled into a rather "melodic metal" sound which usually gets labeled prog metal (sounds close enough to mid-90s Fates Warning). Finland did have HIM and to a lesser extent Nightwish be rather popular in that era, and there's no reason why TTL some heavy yet cheesy Finnish mythology-themed music (it would their "gimmick" since "gimmicky" metal bands seem to have undue amounts of success) might not have similar popularity.

I think in this TL, prog rock has a lot larger of a legacy and people outside of prog fans pay more attention to 90s onwards prog revivalist bands. And in the 00s, like you had some mallcore bands and metalcore bands occasionally breaking through into mainstream radio, you'd also/instead (ideally) have bands of either the "softer" prog rock sound or the heavier prog metal sound breaking into the mainstream. I'd imagine this would do wonders for older 70s/80s prog bands, bands inspired by them, as well as bands in prog-adjacent genres (stoner rock/stoner metal, doom metal, power metal).

Good ideas.

Could music critics being more receptive to prog help too? IOTL contemporary reviews of prog albums tended towards the negative, particularly after punk burst on the scene (which became so beloved by music writers that it became the very thing it swore to destroy or something).

Could music critics being more receptive to prog help too?

Prog rock suffered from what I call "3D Sonic Game Syndrome", where critics initially praised it and then, fairly soon, once it developed a reputation, viciously turned on it.

The decline was probably inevitable and linked with two things. One was the financial problems of the 70s making extravagant productions less popular in the industry, another (in my opinion) is the increased use of keyboards in everything. You could get what most people actually liked about progressive rock (the synthesizers) without having to sit through a fifteen minute song with really weird time signatures.

Prog rock suffered from what I call "3D Sonic Game Syndrome", where critics initially praised it and then, fairly soon, once it developed a reputation, viciously turned on it.

The decline was probably inevitable and linked with two things. One was the financial problems of the 70s making extravagant productions less popular in the industry, another (in my opinion) is the increased use of keyboards in everything. You could get what most people actually liked about progressive rock (the synthesizers) without having to sit through a fifteen minute song with really weird time signatures.

Good points.. and I'll chuck in another theory here too.. in his book 'Rip it up and Start Again: post-punk 1978-1984' rock critic Simon Reynolds suggests in his intro that post punk/new wave was actually progressive rock (of a sort), just with a more self-disciplined outlook - shorter haircuts, less solo-ing, less lyrics about medieval stuff & more focus on modern life etc.. as post-punk drew on a number of prog elements (synths, polyrhythms, surrealism..).

Food for thought, especially since some prog bands adapted well to the post-punk scene, like dinosaurs evolving into birds.. and some new wave bands (notably Devo, the Residents & Talking Heads) have their origins *before* punk even emerged.

To add on to it: 70s prog was very much an "art for art's sake" movement, with the focus on the musician's virtuosity (hence all the extended keyboard and guitar solos, and in Yes' case at the least little care for making the lyrics mean anything as long as it sounded nice). This was rather at odds with rock and roll's DIY, sticking-it-to-the-man mentality - it reeked of being the "classical", out of touch musicians the youth tended to shun.

Post-punk and new wave combined prog's musicality with rock's ability to strip itself down and try to be a voice for the youth, rather than ego-stroking (which was why the music press hated ELP, they had a very smug persona).

Well, okay. I can’t exactly speak for prog between, say, 1977 and 1999, but consider this as a POD: Porcupine Tree’s Stupid Dream becomes a commercial success in the UK. It was more of a pop album than anything they’ve released beforehand, with tracks like ‘Piano Lessons’ and ‘Stranger By The Minute’ being out and out pop rock tunes, but it was incredibly proggy too, as tracks like ‘Even Less’ and ‘Tinto Brass’ hearkened back to Pink Floyd and that.

The three singles they released IOTL (‘Piano Lessons’, ‘Stranger By The Minute’ and ‘Pure Narcotic’) are the pop tracks from the album, and the first two would’ve especially fit in on Radio 2 in the UK or other adult contemporary radio stations elsewhere. Let’s say that ‘Piano Lessons’ gets in the UK Top 40, Porcupine Tree go on Top Of The Pops, and then Stupid Dream enters the lower half of the Top 10 album charts. ‘Stranger By The Minute’ and ‘Pure Narcotic’ don’t do as well, but hey, we’ve established Porcupine Tree as an album band here and especially as the last popular UK prog rock band of the 90s.

(At this point I must state that I’m aware Mansun had prog elements in their albums, but iirc they were always considered part of the wider Britpop movement rather than as a straight-up prog band. If I’m wrong, please let me know. Porcupine Tree were never considered a Britpop band, and the whole thing had died out by 1999, so they’d probably be seen more as alt rock or progressive pop or something like that.)

Lightbulb Sun comes out the year after, and it enters the top half of the UK Top 10 album charts, maybe even at number one. I dunno. Now, let’s say their newfound success doesn’t cause any major butterflies. They saw no reason to change up their sound in the year between each record IOTL, after all, so I doubt they would do so ITTL. What would probably change, however, is their choice of singles. Let’s say they release ‘Lightbulb Sun’ and ‘The Rest Will Flow’ as their first two singles, as they’re the most accessible songs on there, and one or the other or even both crack the UK Top 40 again, maybe even cracking the Top 20, idk. They’re still not a major band yet, but they’re gaining more buzz.

As IOTL, they sign a major record deal with Lava Records in 2001. I don’t know if In Absentia would’ve been released in its IOTL form, but let’s say that it is. In Absentia goes to number one in the UK at the very least, but that’s not the only successful thing about it.

Consider this: after In Absentia came out, most everyone at their concerts wanted to hear ‘Trains’. If they had released the edited version of ‘Trains’ as a wide single (IOTL they only released it as a radio promo) and marketed the heck out of it, it would’ve been a pretty big success.

Suffice it to say, they release ‘Trains’ as a single ITTL, and it goes straight to number one in the UK, and possibly elsewhere. Riding off that momentum, ‘Blackest Eyes’ goes to number one a couple of months later.

Congratulations: you just made prog rock popular again in the UK!

I don't know that prog rock in its original form could've stayed popular, given that the average person's musical tastes are generally aimed towards things that are simple and immediate (meaning no 3-5 minute intros). It certainly didn't help that a lot of those kinds of bands tended to beat you over the head with their musicianship and the one that arguably did that the least - Pink Floyd - was the most popular, and the one that's retained the longest mainstream relevance.

Then again, from the 90s onward we've had Tool, a band that has never really accepted or rejected the "progressive" label, though their music shares the same traits (odd time signatures, long complex songs)...

I don't know that prog rock in its original form could've stayed popular, given that the average person's musical tastes are generally aimed towards things that are simple and immediate (meaning no 3-5 minute intros). It certainly didn't help that a lot of those kinds of bands tended to beat you over the head with their musicianship and the one that arguably did that the least - Pink Floyd - was the most popular, and the one that's retained the longest mainstream relevance.

Then again, from the 90s onward we've had Tool, a band that has never really accepted or rejected the "progressive" label, though their music shares the same traits (odd time signatures, long complex songs)...
I'd say also lot of the modern Bands that people call Jam bands tend to take a lot of there cues from the Progressive rock of yesterday. So I personally feel there is a market for it even today but it's not the mass market but not a tiny one ether.

That would be awesome. Progressive rock is my favourite musical genre. Since Progressive rock was mostly a British genre of music it would be awesome if it spread to other European countries especially France.

That would be awesome. Progressive rock is my favourite musical genre. Since Progressive rock was mostly a British genre of music it would be awesome if it spread to other European countries especially France.
It did though. Italian prog rock in the 70s was people who really really loved Genesis's Trespass yet put their own spin on it (and 90s Italian prog is to that what Marillion and IQ were to Genesis) And even when bands like ELP were making crap like Love Beach there was still good prog rock being made elsewhere in Europe.