AHC: U.S. with fewer firearms restrictions

Studies have repeatedly shown that more guns lead to more violence.

For example:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/danvergano/more-guns-more-crime
I don't believe it. (And not just because it's buzzfeed.) If it was so simple, the murder rate in Dodge City or Tombstone in the 1870s & 1880s would make Fallujah look like Disneyworld::rolleyes: everybody had a sidearm. The truth is exactly the opposite.

More to the point, you're not taking account of the cultural shift I'm hoping to achieve: changing the attitude toward guns, not just puttting more guns in more people's hands. Actually, the attitude in the Wild West, contrary to the movies,:rolleyes: was closer to what I'm after: guns aren't toys, & you don't draw unless you mean to use it--which is exactly the attitude Bill Jordan took. (Today, I'd disallow using it the way Earp might have: as a blackjack.:eek: )
It's actually pretty easy to get mandatory gun education at the state level, as state legislatures like adding random curricular requirements to pander to constituent groups (recent examples include teaching cursive, personal finance, and most relevant to the current discussion, CPR). If guns are more or less universally possessed, states might require safety training at the behest of concerned mothers/manufacturers worried about liability. Requiring training for adults is much harder, as American adults tend not to like mandates from the government. The easiest way is to have the requirement associated with gun ownership, much like you need to renew your driver's license every few years, but that would probably be too close to a restriction on ownership for the OP.
That's very like what I wanted.:cool: Given it happens, where would you start? My thought was Grade 5, but (on reflection) that might be a bit young.

Am I contradicting myself, tho? I had in mind a requirement to demonstrate safe use as a condition of licence to own, after which any arm can be purchased, in any quantity, not unlike a driver's licence: you have to prove you're not a menace, but then you can own whatever you want. Having then to demonstrate you can, do, maintain proficiency seems like a reasonable step. Am I wrong? (I'd do the same for driver's licences: a "requalify" test every so often, or you lose the licence.) In case of firearms, I have in mind a "ticket punch" or something, & a ticketing scheme, if you avoid/miss proficiency sessions, up to confiscation, even jail, if you let it go too long: you're now a danger to society.

The 1934 NFA wasn't the big killer. It had loopholes you could drive a tank through (and more than a couple people did).

The 1968 Gun Control Act was.

The OP specifically says "Gun Control Act of 1934 never happens, so Thompson SMGs remain legal over the counter for anybody." In fact, it is the only law it specifically mentions...

I think that a large majority of pro firearm people will never go near any type of mandatory licensing. You can hear the talking points; It’s a right, don’t need a license to vote or speak, a license is a way for the government to deny your right, a license is a way to start a database of firearms owners, after licensing comes stricter licensing then bans, after a database and lists and bans comes confiscation, every government always starts small before taking all guns away.

I am specifically not picking a side or saying your idea is good or bad. I’m just predicting what pro firearm people might say about a licensing proposal. I’m also not saying that they would be right or wrong in saying those things.

The OP specifically says "Gun Control Act of 1934 never happens, so Thompson SMGs remain legal over the counter for anybody." In fact, it is the only law it specifically mentions...
For the record, if the kind of cultural change I'm after does happen starting around 1929, by default I'd say the '68 Act would never even be proposed.

Edit:
If the attitude to gun control has changed so much to avoid the '34 Act, already, the trajectory has changed so much, all subsequent OTL acts are going to be moot.

Now, how that's achieved in (by) '34 is an issue. Is there a view the Thompson, or guns generally, are protected for individual owners (akin Heller)? Or is there a different approach to crime that reduces the violence? Does that approach, carried forward, mean there's less fear of crooks with guns? Or, OTOH, do I need more fear & so more guns? (I'd far rather less crime & less fear; I take the view in More Guns, Less Crime.)

The proposal of military service intrigues me. Does a mandatory draft (I'd have it equally for men & women) play a role? (I'm thiking Switzerland.)
I think that a large majority of pro firearm people will never go near any type of mandatory licensing. You can hear the talking points; It’s a right, don’t need a license to vote or speak, a license is a way for the government to deny your right, a license is a way to start a database of firearms owners, after licensing comes stricter licensing then bans, after a database and lists and bans comes confiscation, every government always starts small before taking all guns away.
That's the usual position of the NRA, & I'm hoping this could navigate between that view (which wasn't always the common NRA/gun owner view) & the gun confiscator lobby who blame guns for crime & seem to think every law-abiding gun owner is a potential mall shooter.:rolleyes: IMO, there are enough reasonable people in the middle, with the goal being safety first. That's why it's not a registry of guns, it's a "proof of ability" test. That's also why I'm after a change in culture: not just for gun owners, but for everybody. IMO, film & TV projects are all too often written by people with no understanding of typical gun owners, & most media outlets seem not to think critically about the issue when reporting on it. (In general, I'm sympathetic to the "no registry" view, but IMO it provokes the confiscators.)

Aside: if free access to SMGs & ARs is common, what are the prospects for the proliferation of large firing ranges for automatic weapons? In Arizona or Texas, frex? But maybe also as a feature of new buildings? Picture (frex) the Sears Tower with a range in the basement: the whole basement.:eek: ( :cool: )

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
I feel there might have been a case for overturning the 1934 NFA not just on 2ndA grounds, but on others that the $200 Tax was excessive. A new Model A sold for $600.

A case could be made that this cost was detrimental to the forming of Militias.

Folks, there are all sorts of public health studies out there that demonstrate a link between increased firearm ownership and increased firearm deaths. (Deaths is used because death include suicides and accidental deaths by by firearms. Firearm suicides tend to be more lethal than other means of suicides. Suicide rate are up because firearms suicide attempts have increased with the increased availability of firearms.)

Attacking the study because Buzzfeed reported on the study is just ignorant at an embarrassing level. I just used that link because it was handy. Read the actual study if you want to criticize it. Or read some others. There are lots of them.

If you go to PubMed (or other similar health research databases) and do a search, you’ll find hundreds of papers providing evidence to support the hypothesis that more firearms equal more firearm deaths. The research is there and the evidence is strong.

This evidence exists of the link between firearms and firearm despite attacks on academic freedom and efforts to obfuscate the evidence by the NRA. There has been a huge to hide and discredit this research. The NRA’s behavior parallels the tactics to block, discredit, and obfuscate the research that showed tobacco use killed people.

You may or may not like the findings of this field of research but that doesn’t mean the findings are wrong.

Last edited:
Even if you ignore the active violence there is still misadventure and suicide through the sheer availability of the weapons. Though it was rarely mentioned it has always been ticking over.

Not picking a side. Merely pointing out that there are costs the more guns. Unless there are storage laws that will impede on availability and freedom which is the point of this.

I feel there might have been a case for overturning the 1934 NFA not just on 2ndA grounds, but on others that the $200 Tax was excessive. A new Model A sold for $600.

A case could be made that this cost was detrimental to the forming of Militias.
For a start.

The issue of whether Thompsons were, or were not, militia suitable might also have been in play, had a defense actually been mounted. It appears SCotUS hung up on the issue of the sawed-off, & were ignorant of military use of shotguns, which would also have been at play, given a defense.

IMO, it seems something not unlike Hiller might have been achieved. At a minimum, some restrictions might have been ruled unconstitutional. Which ones remain an open question.

Oh, well, what the hell, here goes. I'm different, I'm not a Progressive, I'm a Liberal...I'm not a Democrat or an Independent, I'm an Anti-Republican...I'm not Pro-choice, I'm Pro-Abortion. I'm always a little out of step with everyone else. I'm a gun lover, I believe in the 2nd Amendment (not the same thing, by the way), because I believe the FF's wanted us to be armed against ourselves, against people like Trump, who want to be King. Now, having said that, and adding that I could certainly justify (just barely) pretending to believe that an exception for WMD's is somehow in the 2nd Amendment, I'm more than a little put off by the thought of the average American (of whom I have a VERY low opinion) having unfettered access to fully automatic firearms and explosives. I also believe that any of you out there that don't have somewhat similar misgivings are just not facing the problem head on. Something needs to be done, but, until I can see a real path out of this quagmire, I'll settle for the more or less status quo. Know that's not a popular viewpoint...que sera...

Deleted member 96212

I take the school shootings, & other similar crimes, as equally aberrant. They're a product of a broader illness, IMO, an attitude of "guns as toys".

I've immersed myself in studying mass murder for years now and I can tell you that the causes of a rampage killing are way more complex and multifaced than looking at guns as toys.

Though if you want me to put it in simple terms, most mass murderers are (or perceive themselves to be) failures, and unlike most people who consider themselves failures, they lash out, looking to take as many people with them before they stick a bullet in their own brain or get carted off to the slammer.

The problem of mass murder is, IMO, a purely individual problem, not a broader cultural or national issue.

I've immersed myself in studying mass murder for years now and I can tell you that the causes of a rampage killing are way more complex and multifaced than looking at guns as toys.
I don't mean that. I do mean, the guns aren't the causal agent. I don't believe there's a causal relationship between guns & violence. That would mean guns have agency, which is preposterous. It's no more credible than arguing cars cause highway deaths--except insofar as there would be none, if cars didn't exist.:rolleyes:

If guns cause violence, why isn't Switzerland the most violent country in Europe?

That's why I'm trying to get at education. There's an attitude to gun use in the mix, here, not merely the presence of firearms.

I didn't, don't, want this to degenerate into a debate on the evils of firearms, because if you believe guns cause the problem, the only answer is confiscation.

How, then, do you account for violence by knives, clubs, rope, cars...?

If guns cause crime, or violence, why have I never heard of a single case of an AR-15 shooting up a mall by itself?:rolleyes:

Why not call for laws to keep cars out of the hands of drunks? Or universal background checks for car owners? Cars are demonstrably more lethal every year than guns.

If you want to take the debate that direction, I suggest this thread should be closed, because I have no interest in that debate. I don't expect I'll be persuaded, & I'm fair certain the opponents will never be, either.

Deleted member 96212

If you want to take the debate that direction

Honestly having read what you wrote it would appear that you didn't read a single word of my post, or so badly misunderstood it that it would appear you're arguing over a point I never made.

Honestly having read what you wrote it would appear that you didn't read a single word of my post, or so badly misunderstood it that it would appear you're arguing over a point I never made.
I don't mean that. I do mean, the guns aren't the causal agent. I don't believe there's a causal relationship between guns & violence. That would mean guns have agency, which is preposterous. It's no more credible than arguing cars cause highway deaths--except insofar as there would be none, if cars didn't exist.:rolleyes:

Still think so?

Phx1138 wrote:
Pretty much what it says on the tin, but:
  1. Starting any time after 1929 (somebody other than Hoover wins?).
  2. Gun Control Act of 1934 never happens, so Thompson SMGs remain legal over the counter for anybody.
  3. Gun safety training is mandatory in all schools for all students
  4. Gun safety training is required to be maintained for all adults, on penalty of fines.
  5. Firearms licenses are required: proof of passing safety class is necessary.
How do you get a U.S. where that is the standard? I'd imagine no Drug War, for a start. No Prohibition might be required, tho that would seem to predate my proposed earliest POD.
I'm taking as given, contrary to the views of gun control advocates, firearms are inanimate objects incapable of committing crimes on their own.
How might this situation be made to happen?

Even with no Prohibition, (and rise of organized crime) which brought about the 1934 Firearms act keep in mind that post-WWII there was a significant bi-partisan movement to reduce the accessibility of “military” fire arms to the public which the NRA supported in some respects. (You could mail order a working Bazooka and mortar with available manuals on how to construct ammunition for same. Heck you could get surplus artillery if you had the right contacts) Follow that up in the 60s when it wasn’t the ‘right-to-bear-arms’ but the specific need for the RIGHT people to be able to bear arms. (Mulford Act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act) Keep in mind the Brady Bill was a Republican bill.

1) “Hoover” was the problem but not the elected one the appointed one. J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI were severely restricted in operations and arms all the way through the mid-30s so it was seen as necessary to restrict pubic access to firearms until and unless the FBI could gain an overall advantage.

2) The 1934 Gun Control Act was to help achieve this by removing submachine guns, automatic rifles and other ‘high-power, high-rate of fire” weapons from private citizens and therefor, (in theory) make them harder to acquire by Organized Crime. Originally it was to include pistols and revolvers as well as automatic weapons but this was dropped at the last minute. Here’s the kicker though, the act was unenforceable as written. You did not HAVE to declare you owned or sold a weapon that fell under the jurisdiction of the National Firearms Act and the only time it could be applied was in commission of a crime and DESPITE being ‘caught’ with it you only had to say it wasn’t yours and you could not be prosecuted under the act! Congress re-wrote the act in 1968 so that the government and ONLY the government could hold and issue registration of firearms therefor removing the “self-incrimination” loophole from the act and requiring firearms to be registered. Again neither the NRA nor the “conservatives” were against this re-write because it would not affect “law abiding citizens”.

3) While not mandatory, when I was growing up in the late 60 and early 70s weapons safety classes were offered for free to the public by the NRA. Getting a gun safety card was considered a ‘must’ prior to being allowed to go hunting or use anything but a .22 plinker. Note MAKING it mandatory runs into 2nd Amendment issues as does the following of imposing fines for and requiring any government run “permission” which is what a permit is, to own a firearm.

4) As a note here in Utah it is in fact illegal and an instructor can be fired for using lack of safety knowledge as an excuse to deny someone a concealed carry permit. Further instructors have been fined, censured, and fired for denying students a permit for issues such as loading and chambering a round in class, displaying unsafe and aggressive behavior towards students or the instructor, and inability to show knowledge of such basic safety knowledge as where and how to operate their own weapons safety or safeing procedures. Now as far as I know since about 90% of the registered class instructors threatened to refuse to teach ANY class till this policy was removed last year the policy has been greatly relaxed but the key point is it has not been rescinded or removed and as of this year the number of NEW ‘authorized’ instructors has increased significantly and most of the new ones have NO issues with the current policy. What constitutes “authorization” for teaching classes? You used to have to pass a test and pay a fee but it seems the new rule is you have to have passed a class and pay a fee and then teach from an approved lesson plan where knowledge of the actual regulations for concealed carry are NOT required…

5) 2nd Amendment violation as this would allow the government to regulate who can and could not have a firearm. Since even a determination of one’s mental health status is considered a violation of ones 2nd Amendment rights being made to take a ‘safety class’ is quite obviously just another way for the government to take your guns away. Which is why the NRA now only teaches weapons safety class’ to registered (and paid) members and their immediate family.

The argument that guns are “lethal” instruments misses the point that vehicles are lethal instruments too but we don’t have a Constitutional Amendment barring the government from restricting our right to own and operate them. Demanding that weapons safety be mandatory is something “I” agree with, but then again “I” also think that the only people who should be allowed to own weapons are those who served in the military as well. Both unfortunately are non-compatible with the 2nd Amendment as currently interpreted. Your Bill Jordan quote is quite apt but today the “right” to own a weapon far outweighs the responsibility of doing so and this has been on the rise since the late 70s/early 80s and is accelerating as the “Open Carry” and “Open LOADED Carry” movement gain momentum. People in such groups WANT people to be less “afraid” of firearms, (yet tout that “criminals” will be intimidated not “other” people) and want to allow anyone who wants to the ability to walk down the street with a locked and loaded firearm displayed as though it were just another ‘accessory’ for their outfit.

And mind you the current leadership, (along with a supposed majority of the membership according to those same leaders) highly support such a public movement as guns are ‘safe and friendly’ in the ‘proper’ hands but note they do not say what criteria defines the ‘proper’ hands. Nor does the NRA teach that guns are lethal instruments but that they are a family friendly “hobby” that is also a basic and inalienable “right” of all Americans that should not be restricted in any way or for any reason.

Randy

PhilKearny wrote:
Studies have repeatedly shown that more guns lead to more violence.

Stephen the Barbarian wrote:
as many studies have shown the opposite

As per usual what a “study” shows depends a great deal on the bias of those doing the studies unless carefully controlled but I’ll point out that in general the more “weapons” in a population the higher a tendency to use them. Restricting them to a certain “class” or group, or having them widely and publicly available always leads to a higher usage in tense situations, more accidents and a general higher degree of violence. Note this is historically TRUE of any 'weapon' in general use so that's not causative but correlative.

The over-used and false rubric of “An armed society is a polite society” is demonstrable false in any historic context. In an armed and permissible society you ONLY have to be as “polite” as you think you can back up with violence and worse if society permits it, you only have to be as polite as the muscle you can hire to do your violence FOR you can back up.

Phx1138 wrote:
I don’t believe it. (And not just because it’s Buzzfeed) If it was so simple, the murder rate in Dodge City or Tombstone in the 1870s and 1880s would make Fallujah look like Disneyworld, everybody had a sidearm. The truth is exactly the opposite

You may not believe it but I suspect that stems from your upbringing and biased historical knowledge. In fact less than 50s percent of the population of either Dodge City or Tombstone wore side-arms. Most of them owned long-arms but pistols were rare as they were not seen as needed in an “urban” environment. That’s why they had sheriffs, deputies and marshals after all. In relation to the national average of the same period in America the “Wild West” averaged a rate of people being violently killed with a gun per year was around 165 per 100,000 or more than 15 times higher than the “average” city rate around the same period. Dodge City and Tombstone ‘averaged’ about 10 per year with a population of around 10,000 which is still very high. Settling dispute by violence was a fact of life far more often than one would think and unlike TV and Movies, (with few exceptions) it should be noted that to COMBAT this trend both Dodge City and Tombstone enacted some of the most restrictive gun control efforts to date.

They failed because enforcement was spotty at best and could easily be influenced by bribery, intimidation and enforcement bias.

(First result from a search on the Murder rate in Tombstone but there’s plenty more to back this up: https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/39889/how-deadly-was-the-wild-west, https://cjrc.osu.edu/research/interdisciplinary/hvd/homicide-rates-american-west, https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gun-control-old-west-180968013/)

More to the point, you're not taking account of the cultural shift I'm hoping to achieve: changing the attitude toward guns, not just putting more guns in more people's hands. Actually, the attitude in the Wild West, contrary to the movies, was closer to what I'm after: guns aren't toys, & you don't draw unless you mean to use it--which is exactly the attitude Bill Jordan took. (Today, I'd disallow using it the way Earp might have: as a blackjack)

History shows that even WITH knowing and teaching a gun (or other weapon for that matter) to be a deadly instrument people who have access WILL tend to use a weapon at hand if they have it. Keep in mind that along with that same attitude I mentioned above, (I only have to be as polite as I can “afford” to be and even so shooting someone in the back may be “dishonorable” but if you live you can learn to live with that fact, the key word being “live”) there is also the question of how to ‘enforce’ the attitude you want over the one that will likely prevail. The NRA has gone from promoting gun safety to ignoring it in favor of gun rights, from promoting “responsible citizens with guns” to “everyone has a right to have a weapon” with all that implies to both the general and specific attitude towards guns. They 'say' this is out of defense for gun ownership but it's clearly not so.

Put another way the availability and access to bladed weapons historically shows a rise in crimes and violence committed by and using bladed weapons.

Here’s a point you make:
I don't mean that. I do mean, the guns aren't the causal agent. I don't believe there's a causal relationship between guns & violence. That would mean guns have agency, which is preposterous. It's no more credible than arguing cars cause highway deaths--except insofar as there would be none, if cars didn't exist.

You see ‘guns’ while not the ‘causal’ agent, (and it’s not argued that they in and of themselves are) the AMOUNT of guns generally available and accessible ARE a factor. You state you don’t believe there is a ‘causal’ relationship between guns and violence. Your right, but only because a “causal relationship” by definition means that “one causes the other” (https://www.varsitytutors.com/hotmath/hotmath_help/topics/correlation-and-causal-relation) which is a false argument and unsupportable as such. There is a provable CORRELATION between the number of, and ease of access to guns in a society and which is the point actually being made and in fact those are leading factors, but the factor you’re trying to influence (for example culture) are arguably less important than those two factors in the rise and sustainment of gun violence in society.

Are cars a “causal” factor in death by car? No, which is why no one argues they are but the ease of access and number of them are clearly and unarguably ARE a correlative factor in automobile deaths. The “argument” that “guns cause crime” has I will point out never been seriously made. It is a made up argument straw-man made to enable being knocked down and victory declared. Know why no one makes that argument? Because logically then crime would not have existed before the invention of the gun. Crime has existed since arguably the beginning of recognizable humanity existed as has violence so ascribing the ‘cause’ of such to any single factor other than human nature is doomed to failure. However, it can easily be seen that easy access to tools, weapons and other ‘advantages’ have all been correlated to rises in crime historically so trying to argue that guns have NOT contributed to rising crime is also unsupportable.

(And no even the most rapid anti-gun advocate does NOT make this argument. On another note, bringing up Sweden as a "high gun ownership" example is both false and unworkable. Very few people in Sweden OWN guns and the ones your thinking of, like most who use it as an example, are thinking of those mandated to hold a military rifle on in-active duty. Most of those guns are secured in closets along with the two (2) clips of issued ammunition, in a plastic bag that is not readily accessible. It's not the same as the average US citizen who can easily lay their hand on a loaded and ready firearm at moments notice. The Swiss don't have ACCESS in context of the discussion whereas Americans do)

As above the rise of bladed weapons in society can be shown to correlate directly with the rise in crimes committed with and use of bladed weapons. They didn’t cause rise but they are shown to be a factor in that rise. You may not wish to “believe” certain things but really that’s more bias than anything else.

I understand what you’d like to achieve but I have to point out that historically JUST trying to change the culture does not work since the culture itself is highly malleable. Couple that with the resistance to any change which would or could be used to restrict access to guns and an attitude where the ‘right’ outweighs the ‘responsibility’ and there is unlikely to be any room to change what positive factors one COULD change.
Hence the idea of restricting gun access which in and of itself, (even if it didn't run into the 2nd Amendment) has a mixed success rate.

Such efforts as restricting the ‘right’ to those who’ve served in the military or uniform services, (police or fire for example) run into the same problem since it is again a ‘restrictions’ on something that a large number of people feel cannot and should not be restricted. The same with ‘requiring’ gun safety courses or certification. And arguably this is correct because such CAN be abused and in the end “government” is going to be the ultimate arbitrator of access which is exactly the opposite of what is being argued. Worse the end point of that logic is there should be NO restrictions on who can own and carry a gun which in and of itself is not what most people want nor what the law is based around.

No guns do not “kill” people by themselves and no one is arguing that they do. People kill people WITH guns, they commit crimes with them and they will continue to do so even should their access be highly restricted. The opposing viewpoint though is logically that if there were fewer guns then there would be fewer incidents of gun violence and crime IS in fact true and can be supported with historic, verifiable data.

But if we’re being fully and openly honest the restriction of weapons to a small group or class in and of itself tends to consolidate power into that group or class which invariably leads to the nature and classification of ‘violence’ and ‘crime’ being defined and enforced by that group or class. And this specifically was a fear of the founding fathers since historically such consolidation of power leads to repression and violence on those not of that group or class. One can argue that the proliferation of personal weapons should prevent that occurrence but again, historically, the trend is that far less than the majority will usually NOT own weapons in an organized society trusting to government, supporting organizations, (military, police, etc) and their own soft-power to keep “power” in check and for the most part it works. (Ie the idea that "armed citizens" keeps the government in check is unsupportable by evidence. What keeps the government in check is informed and active voting citizens. Everyone having guns just means it's harder to take them away which does have a small effect on things like State and/or police violence and suppression on a more local level)

Randy