Gettysburg - Reynolds A of P

Deleted member 9338

As I am soon to travel there on business, I broke out a new book on the battle. I was reading about Reynolds turning down the position of commanding general. What if he was to take it. The left wing would be under a new commander, possibly Sickles or Howard. Also Sickles and Reynolds did not have bad blood between so the second day may be different. Any thoughts?

It would be Howard in this case. Sickles was not very popular with any of the West Point generals due to his personality and his command of 3rd corps being due to his relationship with Hooker. In fact Howard was senior to him and should have gotten 3rd corps.

If Reynolds did take command, then the entire Pennsylvania Campaign will be altered. Reynolds was offered command prior to Hooker's relief and was anxious to get at the rebs, especially after Pennsylvania was invaded. Supposing that he was suddenly in command like Meade, he probably would have been more aggressive in his approach relative to Meade's rapid and prudent movement towards Gettysburg. Given his more aggressive mindset, there would probably be no Pipe Creek Line or Pipe Creek Circular. The Army of the Potomac may even concentrate at Gettysburg earlier on July 1. However, I am not as high as others on Reynolds. Reynolds, in spite of his stellar performances as a brigade and division commander, really did not perform well as corps commander. He considerably limited any benefits that might have been gained by Meade's breakthrough: The corps commander could not be found. Reynolds was on the Federal artillery line, personally ordering batteries where to fire, how to elevate, and according to some accounts, at times was off his horse sighting guns himself. None of Meade's messengers carrying Meade's pleas for reinforcements found him. Reynolds was not really engaged at either Antietam and Chancellorsville, and his last battle, Gettysburg, saw him acting at a battalion commander at best. This sort of micromanaging is pretty similar to A.S. Johnston at Shiloh, where he met his end.
The left wing would be under a new commander, possibly Sickles or Howard.
The left wing would have been under Sickles if no changes to the left wing's composition were made. Sickles had superiority over Howard and Doubleday (Reynolds' replacement). However, there were plenty of officers who were Sickles' superior such as Sedgwick, Slocum and Meade. This would, however, involve changing the left wing's corps.

Deleted member 9338

It would be Howard in this case. Sickles was not very popular with any of the West Point generals due to his personality and his command of 3rd corps being due to his relationship with Hooker. In fact Howard was senior to him and should have gotten 3rd corps.

I see Howard in charge as Sickles was in NYC at the beginning of the campaign.it just appears there to be little faith in Howard.

Deleted member 9338

My interest also involves Reynolds listening to Sickles reports on the second day. Meade seemed to go out of his way not to listen or have faith in one of his Corps commanders.

To be honest it's because Sickles was not a trained officer and owed his corps command to Joe Hooker.

My interest also involves Reynolds listening to Sickles reports on the second day. Meade seemed to go out of his way not to listen or have faith in one of his Corps commanders.
That would be far too harsh on Meade and far too generous on Sickles. While Meade had been distracted by the possibility of fighting for Cemetery and Culp Hills, Meade ordered Sickles to occupy Geary's former positions. Apparently uncertain as to where Geary was deployed, Sickles asked again and again for guidance until Meade spelled it out: extend Hancock's line and occupy Little Round Top. When Sickles asked if he had discretion as to where his Corps was deployed, Meade agreed with the caveat that the ground chosen was within the limits of his orders. And so Sickles moved his Corps of 10,675 effectives from a line approximately 1,600 yards long to one nearly twice as long. Despite Hunt's warnings of a salient, Sickles took his Corps to Peach Orchard without informing Meade. Meade was only aware that Sickles had gone off the intended position once his chief engineer, G.K. Warren, returned with news that the III Corps was not in position.