There is Another: A Dream of Rebellion (or what if Star Wars went very Differently)

"I've retired from directing. If I directed Empire, then I’d have to direct the next one and the next for the rest of my life. I’ve never really liked directing. I became a director because I didn’t like directors telling me how to edit, and I became a writer because I had to write something in order to be able to direct something. So I did everything out of necessity"
-George Lucas

“George says he’s going to retire, but I say, ‘Don’t do that,’ because there aren’t too many people around who can do what he does as well as he does. If he’s going to drop out for a while, I think that’s a really sad thing."
-Ken Ralston

“I tried to be in complete control, to try and do everything, and it almost killed me.”
-George Lucas

The Empire Strikes Back was a titanic hit. More so than Star Wars. $209,398,025 at the box office for a budget of $18 million. Despite going over budget and came close to being delayed, with other financial and legal issues laying on top of Lucas, the sequel outperformed expectations. It had changed cinema and those who participated in the film project no one, even Lucas at points, expected to ever be a success.

Nevertheless, it took a toll on the participants. George Lucas namely was fined by the Director's Guild of America (DGA) for placing including "A Lucasfilm Production" without first crediting Irvin Kersher, the director of the Empire Strikes Back at the beginning of the film. Frustrated with the Establishment, he resigned from the DGA, a decision others around him, friends such as filmmaker and cinematographer Haskell Wexler said would limit his options to hire American-based directors. His relationship back at home was strained, as Marcia found George to be a workaholic to a detrimental point and spent less and less time around her, something she wondered was due to George's potential envy of her winning an Award for Star Wars while he didn't.

But handling the financial empire was his top priority as it allowed him to finally break free from 'men in suits' and pursue films out of his volition. He even dreamed of LucasFilm as "a film center where people worked on each other’s films—and also to promote regional filmmaking, to have a home base for Filmmakers,” said Jane Bay, assistant to George Lucas.

With his newfound wealth and power though, he could also afford to live a bit of a grander life. For one he purchased his very own Ferrari.

His second priority was to finally finish the trilogy and end his responsibility on the nearly decade long project. So far he's only been in contact with Ralph McQuarrie and dozens of other artists for more artwork, art that would frequently radically influence the ongoing script, producer Howard Kazanjian (who took over duties from Gary Kurtz and was a producer on Raiders of the Lost Ark), and Lawrence Kasdan to work through the script. In some ways, he found it more of breeze to work with the current preproduction crew, in particular Kazanjian who did his best with whatever Lucas asked of him and always looked for opportunities cut costs. 'Effecient' was what Lucas liked to think of Kazanjian.

On one faithful day, however, he received an invitation to enter the newly formed Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race. Witht he purchase of a Ferrari a while back, it rekindled his need for speed and saw an opportunity to take a break from overlooking Lucasfilm and from working on Revenge of the Jedi.

The race began smoothly, with George handling himself surprisingly well, though given that he has always been into races, as evident in American Grafiti, it might not be that big of a surprise.

On the eighth out of ten laps though, tragedy struck on the tracks as one of the cars went spiraling out of control and collided violently.

Hours later, news hit the airwaves that the occupant inside the crash was George Lucas, creator of Star Wars.

081wrCH.jpg

“She was really the warmth and the heart of those films, a good person George could talk to, bounce ideas off of, who would tell him when he was wrong."
-Mark Hamill

Hey,

I truly apologize for the long delay. Things came up, such as other projects and admittedly I wanted a fresh start since I've been exposed to a plethora of new information and honestly I sort of wasn't enjoying where my previous timeline was going.

My aims are to focus on a world where Star Wars went very differently, with Marcia Lucas (and others) playing a far more important role. I want to change my writing style to be broader and like some biography, less written like a scene of dialogue being exchanged several times.

I am trying to make this timeline move at a faster pace to get to Return of the Jedi and beyond (the new writing style will definitely help, I hope).

I want to thank JW Rinzler's Making of Star Wars books for the wealth of insight and perspectives I never knew of or considered previously and I do think that's one of the main reasons why I wanted to rewrite my Timeline.

9781781311905.jpg

Last edited:
Hours after the Accident

The tragic accident shook the world and many close to him.

Mark Hamill, who survived a near fatal car accident before the Empire Strikes Back started filming said, "I couldn't believe the news. At first I thought it was someone misreporting it. I just had my own car crash a few years back. And I know George Lucas almost died in the 60s from a car crash too during some race. I... I just couldn't believe it was happening again."

Carrie Fisher echoed the same sentiments. "I went 'No way would this happen to George'," she said. "Maybe I refused to believe it because of how much suffering and exhaustion he went through that I knew he didn't deserve this. How could it happen to George, you know?"

Harrison Ford refused to speak to the public about this, not so soon.

Gary Kurtz, while on set of Dark Crystal in England, arranged a flight to Long Beach California, where the crash occured. "It's devastating. Just devastating," he told reporters in the airport terminal

Meanwhile, at Skywalker Ranch, Marcia Lucas drove to Long Beach, a trip that would usually take 6 hours.

She was determined to make it in half that time.

Interesting...not the first time I've seen this PoD but not being told the same way. Looking forward to what you have in mind.

Long Beach California

The hospital and guards did their best to block and cordon off reporters and media crew from entering the building. Managing to break through the crowd, Marcia Lucas convinced the officers to let her see her husband.

When she entered the room, Marcia recounted the moment was 'undescribable.' Medical reports listed 28 broken bones, internal bleeding, and worse, he had fallen into a coma. For how long, it was unclear.

Over the days, while Marcia Lucas stayed in the room with George, hoping he might flicker back to reality, friends and guests trickled in. Wishing Marcia the best and telling George to recover, whereever he was. Mark Hamill joked to George about how they both seem to have some car-related curse. Carrie Fisher would also tell Marcia to 'Stay strong' in dark times like these. Both of them spent a good deal of time speaking with Marcia in the room. Harrison Ford spoke the least, Marcia recalling him seeming to struggle for words, how he briefly and simply wished the two the best before heading out.

ffp9LdG.jpg

Gary Kurtz, their long time friend since American Graffiti, producer on Star Wars and Empire, as well as vice president of Luscasfilm, spent an entire day with the two even though his relationship with George soured over The Empire Strikes Back, going over budget and delays specifically. In addition, the two argued over the future of Star Wars, with George leaning towards... 'restraint'.

It was over a week when Marcia Lucas finally appeared leaving the hospital with reporters asking what this meant for the third film of Star Wars to which she bluntly replied, "How can you only care about that and not the man who's horribly hurt and suffering!"

Could gl’s rehab be incorporated into the Rotj script? Overcoming the body has already been important, perhaps even more so.

As reporters reached out to those close to George Lucas, the sight of his wife started drawing attention to her life.

Marcia Lou Griffin was born in 1947 in the sleepy town of Modesta, California.

marcia1_thumb.jpg

Marcia's childhood, unlike her future husband's stable childhood, was hard on her, her sister, and especially her single mother. While emotionally supportive, economically her mother struggled to bring food to the table. Her attempts to connect with her estranged father ended in failure after two years of her trying to live with him, before returning to high school and hoping to go on to college. Feeling responsible for her hard working and exhausted mother who gave her sweat and tears to give Marcia and her sister a good life, Marcia would work during the day and go to school at night. A determined hard work ethic that would characterize her career, life, and success.

The origins of her editing career began when she applied to be a Film Librarian for a mere $50 a week. While she found some of the duties difficult, the job explicitly looking for someone with no experience and the film reel cans being especially heavy, she nevertheless did her tasks dutifully and found a new hobby of her's: Editing.

She would find herself working alongside film school students, one of which was George Lucas. Despite Marcia having not graduated from High School, George admitted that while everyone there in the class was a film student, only Marcia Griffin was "a real pro."

Slowly but surely Marcia, who was outgoing and bold, was able to draw George Lucas, the shy introvert, out and they soon started forming a relationship, the two finding a hobby in discussing their disdain for the film establishment.

"We were both feisty and neither one of us would take any shit from the other. I sort of liked that. I didn't like someone who could be run over." This would be exemplified in George's stubbornessto get THX, American Graffiti, and Star Wars done in spite of overwhelming odds and pessimism, namely the 'men in suits' over at the large studios.

In many ways, Marcia supplied the aggressiveness that George lacked. "We want to complete ourselves, so we look for someone who is strong where we're weak," Marcia said. Lucas agreed: "Marcia and I are very different and also very much alike. I say black, she says white. But we have similar tastes, backgrounds, feelings about things, and philosophies."

1Ff6y82.jpg

While the two made for a strong pair that completed one another, their careers started to bring about problems. With Marcia spending more and more time in LA to cut Martin Scorsese's films, his fears that something between Martin and Marcia was going on, having to hire a housekeeper to clean the apartment as George wasn't a fan of those chores, and George struggling exhaustively to get Star Wars off the ground

In spite of this, Marcia, who at the time was moving up the union ladder in editing, would always give George feedback and always be critical of Star Wars. She was one of the few people Lucas listened to carefully, knowing she had a skill for carving out strong characters, often with the help of editing. She was a voice of reason, giving him the bad news he secretly suspected. "I'm real hard," she said, "but I only tell him what he already knows." She wasn't afraid to point out scenes that felt boring or characters that felt needed more depth and drama. She kept her husband down to earth and reminded him of the need to have an emotional through-line in the film.

Her work on making Star Wars more relatable and driven by characters, including editing the final Trench Run for example became one of many vital points in making Star Wars the classic masterpiece it is today.

And yet with her husband's newfound wealth and success, his workaholic nature refused to fade away as he managed his financial empire, still struggling against the film establishment, and despite no longer a director, he continued spent a great deal of time on films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Empire Strikes Back. He would go to the hospital, reporting feeling dizzy and having intense headaches. Marcia saw George working himself amost to death. "He was doing a thousand things all at once," Marcia recalled.

She and others were surprised in an almost morbid sense to how George almost immediately went on to working on the final film when he reportedly was not in great shape. Marcia wanted to adopt and raise a child with George and they eventually agreed and George promised once the final film was completed, he would effectively retire. To what capacity, it was never made clear as tragedy struck in 1981 and at that point nothing was certain.

I was really starting to like this TL as it was before the reboot, but I'm glad to see it be even better!

As this is a Star Wars thread, I guess I'll leave my obligatory complaints:
- What's with the "no marriage" rule for the Jedi? If they know the Force can be hereditary, why would you want the Jedi to be celibate?
- How is Anakin "seduced" by the Dark Side when he's pretty much tricked into it under false pretenses?

It’s not hereditary. Also I think that maybe Lucas is just driving one day and an idiot crashes into him. George uses the recovery time to reflect, and it also helps him decompress

I think Anakin like in our episode two, genially beloved democratic republics are inefficient and ineffective. A benign dictator as he believes sidous to be “gets things done”

I’d still change the divergence. Lucas is simply our driving and gets involved in a crash. He’s alive but badly injured and has to endure therapy. Marcia stays with him during this time and they sort things out. The months of therapy gives Lucas the time he needs to decompress and clear his head. This allows him to come back strong and come up with a better script for Return of the Jedi.

From there we get a film that embodies ANH and ESB. Vader’s redemption occurs gradually over the movie.

The idea is that he threw in with Palpatine largely because the horrors of the clone wars (which the sith helped expand) convinced him the galaxy needed a firm guiding hand. Sidious prayed on his fears, and so seduced him. Anakin was badly wounded and became Vader. He justifies all his crimes as regrettable but necessary actions needed to restore order.

However, deep down there is a small part of Vader who knows he chose poorly. Who realizes that all he did was sell his soul and that in its own way the Empire is just as corrupt and dangerous as the old republic was (in some ways it’s worse.) he buries the doubts under a mask of confidence and assured righteousness, still convinced he can save everything by recruiting Luke. However Luke being willing to kill him self on Bespin rattled him badly. It forces Vader to actually think, and his doubts, which he has long buried begin to reawaken.

Luke’s confrontation with Sidious further shakes him; Luke is able to deftly counter every single one of Sideous’s talking points (arguing that tatooine had the imperial officers regarly cut deals with the local gangsters in exchange for cash; he points out that even if the government of Alderaan was plotting treason the idea that every person was actively engaged in treason is absurd. Palpatine argues that they harbored disloyal thoughts.) Luke holding his own forces Anakin to further evaluate his life choices. Sidious is also rather pissed that Luke is able to do this .

Luke further pushes the berserk button during their final battle, and in a reversal of ESB Vader is the one lashing out in panic while Luke is in control.

Not sure how to do “the other”.

One thing I WOULD do is to have something like the Lucasfilm storygroup. They ensure a coherent structure for the EU and also focus on evaluating scale (because the old eu could be rather minimalistic.)