Who should Constantinople have been given to after WWI?

Who should Constantinople have been given to after WWI?

• Total voters
How about a Vlad Tepes compromise,where if we can’t figure out whether to kick out the Turks or Greeks we kick everyone out and turn it into a nature reserve, and set up some hotels to make the remnants of the city into a tourist attraction 50 years later.

Give it to Tibet. The Dalai Lama would add some mystical class.
Better yet, give it to China, when the Nationalists lose the civil war instead of fleeing to Taiwan they set up a government there, so Constantinople is now the capital of China (RoC).

Past ownership aside (since that's just a Pandora's box of claims that would individually cause ruinous wars and together probably just end the world, more or less), 'should' absent the terribly subjective 'moral' aspect probably implies what's best for the inhabitants of both the city, the surrounding area, and the nations around it, no?

In which case, Turkey was probably the best choice, seeing as they didn't get involved in WWII and were at a level of power simultaneously sufficient for deterring invasion but inadequate for leading offensive revanchist wars against its neighbors, unlike the rest of the list (aside from the 'free city' option). Not that all of the other candidates were necessarily willing to get embroiled in conflict(s) but the circumstances of their involvement would likely remain unchanged absent any other POD and could potentially even exacerbate the interwar situation even more (Bulgaria-Greece, for example). And, while a free city would be the most democratic and fairest option in an ideal world, the reality would probably be a rather ugly series of conflicts for the city, seeing the fate of most other free cities that were highly desirable by one or more neighbors. Under Turkish governance, Istanbul avoided the ravages of the worst war in history, something none of the other candidates on the list can boast.

It's the internet equivalent of cosplay. As for the cross: what do you think my username means?

Humor doesn't translate well on the internet, it seems.

Constantine was a martyr and a hero, and recognizing his noble last stand does not make me a Golden Dawn member. CK2 has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

Demographpic majorities are but one consideration in determining the rightful owner of a place. History, religious/cultural significance, and geography also matter.

In saying that Turkey should have kept it, you are justifying what in effect would have led to the deaths of tens if not hundreds of thousands of Greeks. Oh wait, it actually did!

I'm beginning to think that you wish the Ottoman Empire had never lost the Balkans, which I find somewhat concerning.

I'm really not okay with this "Crusader" routine and your enthusiastic support of ethnic cleansing based on religious claims. I'd probably have to agonize over whether or not to kick you, but since you're posting via proxy, I'll just assume you're someone I've banned before and ban you.

Make it part of Greece just so this meme could mean something

hqdefault.jpg

Serious reply, I don't likethe whole idea or "Returning" land to their "rightful" owners. We would ahve to redraw every map on Earth. Whomever it belongs to at the moment, let it stay that way, and lets focus on everyone already living there getting along.

aenigma

Banned
Why are we discussing "giving" it to anyone?

Greece would not be strong enough to hold it unaided, and no power would benefit from guarding it for them, so isn't this whole discussion a bit pointless?

russia probably would have
they always had good relations to the greeks and stil do if i remember correctly

Plebiscite. The Turks, surely, would vote so, but the other minorities (like the Armenians) may prefer an alternatives.

This thread is hilarious though.

Population swaps were being discussed in the 1st half of 1914 when a Greco-Ottoman war was brewing. The Turks open said they will attack once they have their Dreadnoughts and the Greeks knew they were going to lose control of the Aegean. Any lasting solution will probably have to involve swaps.

Japan, it means they can no longer complain they are not recognised as a great power. Also managing and defending Constantinople ought to keep them too busy to attempt at least some of their other foolishness. Bonus is it should absolutely offend everyone else.