TL-191: Featherston's Finest - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the CSA and Freedom Party

The Cricket. A heavy twin gun BK designed after an artillery officer heard Featherston make an off the cuff remark about needing two pairs of arms and legs to run the war and then joking that he also needed advisers with twice the brains and two of everything else. When Featherston was presented with the blue prints for the BK, he was at first aghast but after studying the design some more he ordered one example made for testing.

Many high ranking officers of the Barrel Corps were against the design feeling it was a waste of steal and weaponry but their protest instead moved Featherston to order one dozen Crickets to be built. It was Featherston's head of security Clarence Potter who suggested the name Cricket to throw off any Union spies assigned to CS barrel development.

The CS version of the Maus.

Oh-ho-ho-ho-hooo~! Yes! There it is, the double-barreled tank destroyer! Look at all that ridiculous firepower! Its like a cruiser's turret on treads, I love it! What caliber guns are on there though? Doesn't look like anything comparable to what the Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf would be sporting. I can't remember which tank it is, but the guns on this model look bigger than anything the Confederates could reasonably fit into a tank. From the side it looks fairly normal, like a regular tank destroyer - that is until you stare down its barrels and note just how wide it is! I imagine there must be a big crew just to service the guns on this thing. And the quadruple treads make this thing look like an absolutely monstrous hunk of metal.

From what I can tell it looks like parts of this tank were taken from a Soviet WWII tank destroyer, one of the big late models. So then, like the mouse, do you think a prototype was built and completed for testing or even ready to be sent out into the field?

Loving the name for this too by the way! This thing is anything but a small cricket!

He wasn't head of security. He was army intelligence. His rank was Brigadier General. He was responsible for recruiting confederate soldiers who could pass for being Yankees. He was also responsible for blowing up part of Philadelphia, with a superbomb. He also commanded a division of troops in Georgia. I believe the only thing concerning security, that he was part of, was surrounding the Confederate Superbomb project.

I feel like this picture is also a good look into what the top brass' uniforms looked like under the Featherston Administration.

The stars on a Confederate general's collar tabs should be surrounded by wreaths, but that detail aside I think this is probably the best representation of Confederate uniforms in the latter stage of the series.

The stars on a Confederate general's collar tabs should be surrounded by wreaths, but that detail aside I think this is probably the best representation of Confederate uniforms in the latter stage of the series.

Boy I can't wait to show you guys an up-coming picture then! Its not done yet, but I think its going to be pretty cool. A Freedom Party Guardsmen decked out in WWII era kit and camo, holding a TAR that was courteously made by @cortz#9

You know, no one has done the uniforms of generals and other top brass yet. Honestly this picture here is the only frame of reference I have for it other than Civil War era uniforms with the stars surrounded by wreaths.

He wasn't head of security. He was army intelligence. His rank was Brigadier General. He was responsible for recruiting confederate soldiers who could pass for being Yankees. He was also responsible for blowing up part of Philadelphia, with a superbomb. He also commanded a division of troops in Georgia. I believe the only thing concerning security, that he was part of, was surrounding the Confederate Superbomb project.

Basically a very busy man with a particular knack for covert operations, especially come the late stages of the war.

Oh-ho-ho-ho-hooo~! Yes! There it is, the double-barreled tank destroyer! Look at all that ridiculous firepower! Its like a cruiser's turret on treads, I love it! What caliber guns are on there though? Doesn't look like anything comparable to what the Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf would be sporting. I can't remember which tank it is, but the guns on this model look bigger than anything the Confederates could reasonably fit into a tank. From the side it looks fairly normal, like a regular tank destroyer - that is until you stare down its barrels and note just how wide it is! I imagine there must be a big crew just to service the guns on this thing. And the quadruple treads make this thing look like an absolutely monstrous hunk of metal.

From what I can tell it looks like parts of this tank were taken from a Soviet WWII tank destroyer, one of the big late models. So then, like the mouse, do you think a prototype was built and completed for testing or even ready to be sent out into the field?

Loving the name for this too by the way! This thing is anything but a small cricket!
The parts came from an ISU and KV-1, the guns are 152mm.

My bad, its been a long time since I read the books and unfortunately most of my library is in storage.

Boy I can't wait to show you guys an up-coming picture then! Its not done yet, but I think its going to be pretty cool. A Freedom Party Guardsmen decked out in WWII era kit and camo, holding a TAR that was courteously made by @cortz#9

You know, no one has done the uniforms of generals and other top brass yet. Honestly this picture here is the only frame of reference I have for it other than Civil War era uniforms with the stars surrounded by wreaths.
You mean a TBR (Tredegar Battle Rifle), the TAR is the one with the FG-42 parts.

Basically a very busy man with a particular knack for covert operations, especially come the late stages of the war.

Eh, I don't think it was ever stated outright that he was the top man in Confederate military intelligence, but given that, after his promotion to general and his replacing that one guy, and that he reports directly to both Bedford Forrest III and Featherston, he probably is. The only big argument against that is he was put in the field for a while, so who the fuck ran Army Intelligence in his place?

Eh, I don't think it was ever stated outright that he was the top man in Confederate military intelligence, but given that, after his promotion to general and his replacing that one guy, and that he reports directly to both Bedford Forrest III and Featherston, he probably is. The only big argument against that is he was put in the field for a while, so who the fuck ran Army Intelligence in his place?

I figure either some unnamed subordinate he can trust or... no one at all? XD Talk about inefficiency and running risks and leaving an entire military branch headless in the event things turn out bad for Potter. Someone would take his place if he really was the head of intelligence, but man, that's risky and that takes time to replace a guy like Potter.

So I found some uniforms of the CS Navy and Marine Corps. Since they're the same uniforms from the Civil War, they're understandably old fashioned and archaic by the time of the Second Great War and would certainly not be used.

8820_7_28-civil-war-navy.jpg

soOrD.jpg

8776_148_471-confederate-sailors-uniform.jpg

The only indication we get in the books for Navy uniforms is that they are gray in color. Uniform evolution over a period of time is a strange thing and drastically new designs and cuts can be introduced. My guess is that, for the sailors at least, the look has been modified to fit the times, but the general color has never changed. I've heard from others that naval uniforms might also take on a more British look to them too.

As for the CSMC my guess is that their combat uniform by the time of the Second Great War is either gray or butternut.

Jackson B33 torpedo bomber. considered state of the art when first introduced into service but long in the tooth at war start, the B33 served until 1944 when finally pulled from service at the navy's numerous requests for a more modern and superior design.
Still the B33 despite all odds served valiantly beyond its abilities due to the skill and courage of its crews and the basic soundness of the design.

Torpedo Bomber-.jpg

A Focke-Wulf Fw-58 with sections from Italian bombers.

Jackson B33 torpedo bomber. considered state of the art when first introduced into service but long in the tooth at war start, the B33 served until 1944 when finally pulled from service at the navy's numerous requests for a more modern and superior design.
Still the B33 despite all odds served valiantly beyond its abilities due to the skill and courage of its crews and the basic soundness of the design.

A Focke-Wulf Fw-58 with sections from Italian bombers.

Very nice! This one looks like it can be used for anti-shipping operations or commerce raiding via air attack. Would probably be most prevalent in the Caribbean, likely aiding naval operations there to sink US and Central Powers ships. Perhaps this can be a part of the CS Navy's Air Corps or entirely used by the independent Air Service.

Really liking the design overall too!

I don't really like the rank insignia though. I would have preferred to use regular army chevrons tilted at a 90 degree angle.

Speaking of insignia, one idea that's been at the back of my mind is that the chevrons on a CSA uniform will be facing in the opposite direction from those on a US uniform; I was pleasantly surprised to realise this means that Confederate chevrons would point "South" while their US counterparts point "North" (symbolically-appropriate or just a fun sight gag? YOU decide!).

Speaking of insignia, one idea that's been at the back of my mind is that the chevrons on a CSA uniform will be facing in the opposite direction from those on a US uniform; I was pleasantly surprised to realise this means that Confederate chevrons would point "South" while their US counterparts point "North" (symbolically-appropriate or just a fun sight gag? YOU decide!).

Oh my god, that's subtly brilliant though! I can see the Confederates doing that in TL-191!

Cool idea.

Oh my god, that's subtly brilliant though! I can see the Confederates doing that in TL-191!
I agree with you on both counts.

B37 Kestrel multi-purpose bomber. The CSA'smain bomber from the beginning of the war to almost the very end. Entering service in mid 1937 the Kestrel was a rugged and reliable bomber that could fill many roles, long range (it could reach almost all targets in the Union) ground support, maritime and other roles as well.

The Kestrel went thru many upgrades in engines and armaments and served on all fronts long after similar aircraft had been retired in other air-forces.

Z.gif

An early model Heinkel He-111-B. I turned it into a twin rudder tri-motor airplane, this one was heavily inspired by Italian bombers.

Last edited:
B37 Kestrel multi-purpose bomber. The CSA'smain bomber from the beginning of the war to almost the very end. Entering service in mid 1937 the Kestrel was a rugged and reliable bomber that could fill many roles, long range (it could reach almost all targets in the Union) ground support, maritime and other roles as well.

The Kestrel went thru many upgrades in engines and armaments and served on all fronts long after similar aircraft had been retired in other air-forces.

An early model Heinkel He-111-B. I turned it into a twin rudder tri-motor airplane, this one was heavily inspired by Italian bombers.

Ah, so this is what a tri-motor design would look like on a Confederate bomber! You get so used to seeing WWII era bombers with noses that have guns and glass canopies that you forget that designs like this were a thing. Looks great! Like you said this is based off an He-111-B, so I imagined like that model this Confederate bomber wouldn't be well protected in terms of gunners positions.

Ah, so this is what a tri-motor design would look like on a Confederate bomber! You get so used to seeing WWII era bombers with noses that have guns and glass canopies that you forget that designs like this were a thing. Looks great! Like you said this is based off an He-111-B, so I imagined like that model this Confederate bomber wouldn't be well protected in terms of gunners positions.
Yeah it has decent protection and later models get a dorsal turret and a belly gun, the nose is a weak spot though but if the engine is knocked out there are still two back up motors.

Yeah it has decent protection and later models get a dorsal turret and a belly gun, the nose is a weak spot though but if the engine is knocked out there are still two back up motors.

And if the pilots survive a head-on attack too! I can imagine a lot of these bombers being protected by a flight of Hound Dogs before being jumped by a squadron of US Colts over, say, New York City or Pittsburgh.