Interesting AH ideas that aren't commonly used

I don't get the logic in this.

The Baltic States are not occupied, so when the Soviet Union collapses, they can't use that as an argument for leaving the Soviet Union... Even though they were never occupied according to your scenario and thus would not be a part of the Soviet Union in the first place.

What?

I wrote that very weirdly, thank you for pointing that out. Yes, if the Baltic states weren't illegally occupied, then the soviet union would not have collapsed, or at least not have collapsed due to that, at the very least.

• Columbus sails west for the English Crown. Historically he was in contact with royal officials in England when it appeared Castille might not back his expedition.

English Mexico? Dear God, the culture, the food mix of bland / bleh and spicy sexiness .... must have.

Haggis Tacos!?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Wendell Willkie surviving and going onto lead the Liberal Party on a national stage. He might've run for NYC Mayor as a Liberal in 1945, putting him in a good position to run a third party campaign in 1948. IMO, this would force Dewey to run the forceful, inspiring campaign he should've (in order to win his home state and energize his Republican base to pull votes from Willkie) as well as resulting in Willkie splitting votes with Truman - allowing Dewey to win the presidency.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Wendell Willkie surviving and going onto lead the Liberal Party on a national stage. He might've run for NYC Mayor as a Liberal in 1945, putting him in a good position to run a third party campaign in 1948. IMO, this would force Dewey to run the forceful, inspiring campaign he should've (in order to win his some state and energize his Republican base to pull votes from Willkie) as well as resulting in Willkie splitting votes with Truman - allowing Dewey to win the presidency.

5 way Presidential race, dear mother of god

5 way Presidential race, dear mother of god

Well, Wallace would probably get even less votes. The few disaffected New Dealers and liberals who voted for him would instead support Willkie. So Wallace's vote would be less than 1% and most analysts would give him only cursory mention afterwards.

Well, Wallace would probably get even less votes. The few disaffected New Dealers and liberals who voted for him would instead support Willkie. So Wallace's vote would be less than 1% and most analysts would give him only cursory mention afterwards.

but would they? Wallace was vying for democratic progressives, Willkie would mostly draw support from new england liberals and possibly western more republican progressives

Mexico is comparatively much smaller and a much smaller population, and therefore easier to Anglicize as much as it was to Hispanicize. It'd be a spicy Canada.

Wasn't it a lot more developed and densely populated than pre-contact Canada or the Eastern US though? I do wonder in light of that and the natural resources if it would be run geared more towards extraction, rather than settlement like Canada or the 13 Colonies. I don't really know enough to say though, it's certainly an interesting idea.

Maybe a worse Cambridge Analytica scandal triggering a bigger return to analog tech?

In 2018, I don't think that people would've returned to analog tech even if it was discovered that some really bad things were being done with their data. However, if the possibility of data misuse was in the public spotlight earlier, I can definitely imagine stricter privacy laws being passed.

Also, people on this forum really seem to like pro wrestling alternate history, so what about Dwayne Johnson getting drafted into the NFL? That would certainly be interesting. I assume this must've been done before.

Internet PODs are so fascinating and no one ever does one that’s not pop culture focused.

I’d love to see a TL where the Internet effectively doesn’t exist, or never grows beyond ARPANET to the present day. What would an entire generation’s most talented people focus their attention on instead? Where else would those countless billions of dollars in investment be spent? The billions of man hours devoted (and wasted)? What of all the people who never met, the ideas that were never exchanged?

IMO a dramatically less Internet driven world isn’t ASB, but it would depend on other PODs that in a few cases would make its absence a background detail. I think we are living in a universe near the farthest possible end of the Internet-impacted spectrum

I'm doing an internet-focused timeline right now, and to me what makes it hard to do a non-pop culture focused TL is that many of the impacts that the Internet would have on the "real world" are hard to determine. Business history is probably the easiest to do, as Internet companies have a big effect on the market.

Also, people on this forum really seem to like pro wrestling alternate history, so what about Dwayne Johnson getting drafted into the NFL? That would certainly be interesting. I assume this must've been done before.

I'm doing an internet-focused timeline right now, and to me what makes it hard to do a non-pop culture focused TL is that many of the impacts that the Internet would have on the "real world" are hard to determine. Business history is probably the easiest to do, as Internet companies have a big effect on the market.

Not sure Johnson had NFL talent. He was cut by the Calgary Stampeders after two months on their practice squad in 1995. If he's not good enough for the CFL, I can't see too many NFL teams being interested in him.

I don't think I've seen this, but I'd be interested in it; the Ottomans lose their holds in Asia entirely following Tamerlane/the interregnum, but hold on in Europe at least in the short to medium term.

Here's an interesting idea: Henry Wallace succeeds FDR in 1945, only to do most of what Truman did in OTL. He manages to get the Marshall Plan and the "Wallace Doctrine" passed to contain Communism, but his domestic programs are shot down by a hostile Congress. Wallace's political ineptitude leads to Dewey being elected in a landslide win as expected.

Supposedly, Donald Trump at one point was sought after by the Red Sox and the Phillies, but he turned them down because he was a Yankees fan.

I'd challenge that thought. Those timelines starting back before recorded history, or with altered geology or biology are very hard to do well; but they can and have been done. Pecari Rex by twovultures is a sterling example that come to mind.

There's Book of the Holy Mountain, Lands of Ice and Mice, and Lands of Red and Gold-the first being very good and the last one fo the great AH classics of this site.