Time travel/AH books that are not romance ?

longsword14

Banned
Looking for time travel related books in the style of Lest Darkness Fall, but the only suggestions that pop up by the dozens are trash romance novels.
So, does anybody have suggestion for books published within the last 20 years or so ?

Turttledove's The Guns of the South is likely one of the most famous and well liked. In camp in the winter of 1864, a mysterious group offers Lee and the Army of Northern Virgina a powerful new weapon for their coming campaign, an amazing repeating rifle called the AK-47...

I recommend looking over the current top 100 Alternative history books available on Amazon at the moment. True, too many are not AH and even more are romance, but you've got Man in the High Castle, and Stephen King's 11/22/63 listed. Further down the list you've got John Birmingham's "Girl in time" and Taylor Anderson's "River of Bones" series. You've also got Phillip Roth's "The Plot Against America" and SM Stirling's latest.

The list changes regularly as the list is the current top AH sellers.

Do you mean you don't like any romance and sex within the story?

If that's not what you mean, then have a look at Napoleon Disentimed and Elleander Morning

(ok published longer ago but so?)

There is a VERY GOOD one about a guy who works with photos and rooms full of old stuff, near New York's central park to go back in time, think he sees the Statue of Liberty bits while still in the other park, but I can't remember what it's called

mspence

Banned
There's Stephen King's 11 22 63, which has romance (but at a mature level)

Anno Dracula by Kim Newman-alternate reality (ASB) where vampires actually exist & rule Victorian England

The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling-combination steampunk & alternate history where Charles Babbage's invention works & the impact it has on 19th Century Britain

Harry Harrison's Eden trilogy-dinosaurs survived & encounter human tribes in the Americas. No human dinosaur romances.

I would highly recommend Connie Willis's books The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing Of The Dog. Both are in the same universe and involve a time travel program as an arm of a future Oxford history department. To Say Nothing Of The Dog has some romance elements since it's partly a pastiche of Victorian literature, but it also is a great thriller and fleshes out a lot of the nature of time travel in the books much more and it's a pretty unique take.

There are trash romance novels with all sorts of pretenses. For example, dinosaur romance novels . . . humans and dinosaurs.
If there is a premise, it will have an entire sub-genre of romance novels for it. Upon hearing of a Bigfoot premise in the news, my roommates and I had a drink-fueled conversation on this topic and I was elected to write whatever they would decide upon, no matter how nuts to see if money could be made there. They and their girlfriends concluded: minotaur romance. I giggled and then someone said, "what if it was already done..." Fifteen seconds later, turns out there is an entire division of said romances.

To be fair, most of it is time-traveler AH romance, not straight up AH romance, but that exists as well, I am sure.

I would suggest Timeline (1999-1357, a medieval time travel adventure) by Michael Crichton.

Might want to steer clear of the movie adaptation starring Billy Connolly, Paul Walker, and Gerard Butler, though. Unless you have thing for terrible movies.

If there is a premise, it will have an entire sub-genre of romance novels for it. Upon hearing of a Bigfoot premise in the news, my roommates and I had a drink-fueled conversation on this topic and I was elected to write whatever they would decide upon, no matter how nuts to see if money could be made there. They and their girlfriends concluded: minotaur romance. I giggled and then someone said, "what if it was already done..." Fifteen seconds later, turns out there is an entire division of said romances.

To be fair, most of it is time-traveler AH romance, not straight up AH romance, but that exists as well, I am sure.

? I would have thought that most aren't romance, at least not primarily.

I think what OP refers to are all those stories where the main plot is the protagonist traveling to the past (accidentally or not) and falling in love with someone from the time period they're visiting. Like any romance novel, but with time travel for additional exoticism.

Might want to steer clear of the movie adaptation starring Billy Connolly, Paul Walker, and Gerard Butler, though. Unless you have thing for terrible movies.

Uuugh... yeah, the book is okay by itself, but compared to the movie it's a masterpiece.

There's an old sci-fi classic of mine: Time Patrol, by Poul Anderson.

He also wrote The Man Who Came Early, an interesting read for anyone who think they'd be a god if they came back in time with their modern knowledge...