WI: Catherine of Aragon dies in 1518 and Henry VIII still marries Anne Boleyn

That is why I say Anne of Navarre must either marry Louis XII or Charles V..or marry both..while Henry VIII marries a young spanish or german lass.

Last edited:
Well the problem with Navarre is that the numerous offspring of Catherine are pretty poor - and in French control - so likely will be offered around a bit - but quite frankly are just undesirable - Spain has taken almost the entire Kingdom - so Henri really only has his possessions in France - there is no real incentive for either Charles or Louis to marry the daughters of Catherine because its neither a financially prudent or politically astute match for them.

Well the problem with Navarre is that the numerous offspring of Catherine are pretty poor - and in French control - so likely will be offered around a bit - but quite frankly are just undesirable - Spain has taken almost the entire Kingdom - so Henri really only has his possessions in France - there is no real incentive for either Charles or Louis to marry the daughters of Catherine because its neither a financially prudent or politically astute match for them.
So basically Anne will be the last choice for Louis XI to marry.

Anne of Navarre is like Anne of Cleves..

Last edited:
So basically Anne will be the last choice for Louis XI to marry.

Anne of Navarre is like Anne of Cleves..

Yes without the money - Anne of Cleves at least had cash - and at the time politically Henry was isolated and in need of German allies.

Its worth bearing in mind that since the Norman Conquest - English Queen's invariably came from a very narrow range - almost all from France and Spain with a couple of exceptions.

Charles V has only one marriagable candidate from royal house in 1526 if Isabel is not available-Renée of Valois. Hedwig of Poland is still bit too young. Otherwise there are only daughters of dukes left. Is it most likely option for Karl?

Renee will not be allowed to convert married to Charles V, he'd immure her first. (Wall her up - literally - in a convent, sometimes with a slot for food, sometimes not.)

She wouldn't have the heresy around her; don't know how she'd be exposed to convert. Italy was much more humanistic and flexible on the expression of 'new' ideas than Charles' court.

I think Isabella Jagiellon is big winner there. IOTL Bona Sforza looked for Italian marriage for her, so she could pass rights to her Italian lands to Isabella and her husband. IOTL she tried to marry her to Louis of Savoy, who died aged 12 in 1536, and to Federico Gonzaga of Mantua, who married Margerita Palailogos to inherit Montferrat. Eventually Isabella married sick, old anti-King of Hungary, who died soon, leaving her in foreign country with infant son, squeezed between Habsburgs, Ottomans and Hungarian magnates. ITTL Ercole d'Este seems to be likely candidate to marry her. They could marry around 1535, when Ercole was 26 and Isabella was 16. In Italy Isabella would not feel so alienated-Polish court at this time was full of Italians, all Bona's children were fluent Italian speakers. Italy was definitely better place to live than Transilvania.

Claude of Brittany b.1499 or little sister Renee.b.1510
Mary Tudor the older works, too. b. 1496
Isabel d'Albret of Navarre b. 1512
The Polish girls don't fit agewise
Ferdinand got Bohemia/Hungary
Denmark did not fit agewise
Henrys daughter Mary b.1516
Kasu mentioned for Harry Germaine de Foix but wasn't she b.1488, way too old
Claude of Brittany was already married, but in any case she necessarily would marry the French heir (Francis I), or else France would lose the prized Brittany (the duchy didn't accept Salic Law, so Claude was the ruling duchess by her own right). France wouldn't let the Hapsburgs surround them from West too - they waged a war when Claude's mother Anne was bethroted to a Hapsburg and forced her to marry the French heir - twice!

I'm not sure that Charles V is going to marry anyone other than Isabella of Portugal. She came with a great dowry, was the eldest daughter of Manuel I, and the match was enthusiastically supported by the Castilian cortes. Beatrice might be a better fit. She's a little younger but Henry will likely be pleased with her. I don't think Charles would marry a Hohenzollern or other minor German house at this time. They're not that high up in the food chain right now and he's likely going to marry depending on either the Flemish or Castilian courts wishes.

If Catherine dies early and Henry begins to show an interest in Infanta Isabel then the Spanish nobles are going to clamor at Charles to marry her posthaste. That might be the deciding factor here.

Claude of Brittany was already married, but in any case she necessarily would marry the French heir (Francis I), or else France would lose the prized Brittany (the duchy didn't accept Salic Law, so Claude was the ruling duchess by her own right). France wouldn't let the Hapsburgs surround them from West too - they waged a war when Claude's mother Anne was bethroted to a Hapsburg and forced her to marry the French heir - twice!
Francis was originally planned to marry Anne of Navarre before Claude of Brittany, I think Anne would have married Francis had Louis XII had a son with her namesake.

Last edited:
Francis was originally planned to marry Anne of Navarre before Claude of Brittany, I think Anne would have married Francis had Louis XII had a son with her namesake.
Or if Anne's son with Charles VIII survived. Both would require an entirely new POD...

I'm not sure that Charles V is going to marry anyone other than Isabella of Portugal. She came with a great dowry, was the eldest daughter of Manuel I, and the match was enthusiastically supported by the Castilian cortes. Beatrice might be a better fit. She's a little younger but Henry will likely be pleased with her. I don't think Charles would marry a Hohenzollern or other minor German house at this time. They're not that high up in the food chain right now and he's likely going to marry depending on either the Flemish or Castilian courts wishes.

If Catherine dies early and Henry begins to show an interest in Infanta Isabel then the Spanish nobles are going to clamor at Charles to marry her posthaste. That might be the deciding factor here.
Thus Charles of Savoy needs different wife, and I have absolutely no idea who would replace Beatrice as Duchess of Savoy.